Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Tire question - does anyone have opinions on Ardent vs Rekon vs Ikon?

I actually don't like the Ikon and I only mention it because the Rekon is a variation of it and it appears to have more bite. I have used the Ikon in the past as a rear tire, combined with an Ardent in the front. I ride single speed so I am usually out of the saddle on climbs. The small tread of the Ikon resulted in frequent slippage and I won't go back to that tire. I like the idea of a very fast rolling tire and I am after a combination of aggressive tread and speed (I guess most of us are). I wish I could use micro-knobby tires but they just don't work well for me.

I currently run Ardent front and rear and I am happy with it but I'm always after a little more speed and acceleration.

Is anyone running Rekon in the front or rear (or both)? How do you like it?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Does an Ardent Race appeal? Can’t remember if their tread might roll a bit better

I ran one on the back a bit and it felt pretty fast but we get real loose dry stuff in the summer here and I wanted a bit more traction. Probably would do decent in less loose conditions

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I don't know much about the Race variations of their tires. I figured it meant less weight and less durability for sake of speed. Even though I can afford new tires when needed, I am a cheapskate and I like them to last as long as possible. Plus, changing tires is a damned pain and I try to do it as little as possible :)

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

me your dad posted:

I actually don't like the Ikon and I only mention it because the Rekon is a variation of it and it appears to have more bite. I have used the Ikon in the past as a rear tire, combined with an Ardent in the front. I ride single speed so I am usually out of the saddle on climbs. The small tread of the Ikon resulted in frequent slippage and I won't go back to that tire. I like the idea of a very fast rolling tire and I am after a combination of aggressive tread and speed (I guess most of us are). I wish I could use micro-knobby tires but they just don't work well for me.

I currently run Ardent front and rear and I am happy with it but I'm always after a little more speed and acceleration.

I run the Rekon as a rear tire with Minion DHF on the front. The tire rolls quickly and is pretty playful. Still enough grip in most circumstances.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I've always found the Ardent to just kind of suck at everything. It doesn't roll that fast or brake that we'll and its cornering is just vague - it never feels like it locks in to the corner. The Ardent Race is a much nicer tyre for that sort of thing in my experience.

Whahappen
Mar 27, 2010

me your dad posted:

For XC season I usually have a Rekon up front and an Ardent Race in the rear and that combo works quite well for me. The Rekon is grippy and predictable up front, and the Race rolls fast and has grip when leaned over. I run EXO casings and haven't had any durability issues. In my experience, I don't like the Rekon as a rear tire, it tends to spin out where the Ardent Race doesn't for some reason. I don't have a ton of time with an Ikon on the rear, but it seemed similar to the Rekon in that it would spin up on climbs if you're not careful, and it might roll ever so slightly better than the Ardent Race. Ardent front and a Race rear might work for you? I don't have a first hand opinion of the regular Ardent, so that'd be your call.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My hei hei came with rekons, and I didn't like them that much. However, I was still getting used to the bike, working on suspension setup and fit, and had some issues with the brakes, and then sliced them both within like a month. So I feel like maybe they deserve a better chance. My impressions were that they seemed slow for a light xcish tire, but then didn't have good grip to make up for it. However, I think some of that slow feeling is the bike itself.

My plan was to try a dissector up front with the stock rekon rear, but I couldn't get a dissector, sliced a tire, and had to go with what was available, so a DHF. Can't complain about the dhf but paired with a rekon isn't a good mix as the rear has way, way less grip in comparison. So then I sliced that tire open too, and went with a nobby nic to replace because I had one sitting in the tire bin. I think dissector/rekon would have been a decent combo but I'm finding the 120tpi maxxis xc tires are pretty easy to cut open so maybe not a good one for general trail use. And yes, they've been the exo casing. The last one I cut happened at the beginning of a big backcountry ride and I had to limp through the middle of nowhere with a tube and a boot so that was pretty annoying and risked a really long walk.

I've also ridden the ikon a lot and tried an ardent race on the front for awhile. I wasn't super thrilled with it because there's nothing in the transition area and just a line of cornering knobs, which doesn't work on a tall post xc bike as you spend a lot of time in that not aggressively leaned over area. I'd consider one again but as a rear only. Ardents have never really appealed to me. Ikons are... fine, but for a pure xc tire I like racing ralphs and my current vittorias (barzo/mezcal) better. IF I was going to race on maxxis again I'd consider a rekon/rekon race combo or maybe even aspens f/r.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 29, 2020

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I had a rekon on the back and replaced it with a high roller 2 send have been pretty happy with it. DHF on the front, good combo for traction but not super slow. The HR doesn't have infinite traction but it handles sliding out real well and is very predictable.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I think the HR2 is my all time favourite tyre just because of the way it locks into turns, but I hardly ever ride them any more because you have to be at 100% all the time to get them leant over on every corner to feel locked in.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for all the feedback on tires. I'll be looking at the Ardent Race and Rekon. I'm stuck on Maxxis since it's the only brand I've ridden for the last 15 years but I really should explore other brands.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

me your dad posted:

I use a Rekon rear and it’s good except it packs up easy if you have any kind of mud or wet soil. I like it because it’s wet a lot where I live but I’m mostly dealing with wet rocks and roots and the smaller knobs do well on those. It sucks real bad though in any kind of mud or sticky loam.

I run it with an XR4 front which is a bit less aggressive than a minion. Sort of similar to a Nobby Nic but it’s way more durable and I like the side knobs better.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I've been toying with grabbing a dropper for my Pine Mountain 1 but there's a Tranzx Jump Seat with no cable routing and 100mm drop that I'm toying with....anyone have experience? I think Salsa uses Tranzx for their OEMs so it seems like they're reliable and substantial yeah?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've had two of them now without issues. It could use a nicer lever but no real complaints otherwise.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Suburban Dad posted:

I've had two of them now without issues. It could use a nicer lever but no real complaints otherwise.

Sweet! I may go ahead and order one then. I’ve been wanting to get a dropper but I didn’t really want to drop like 240+ if I didn’t have to and that seems like a reasonable option at 99$.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Love it when it's below freezing so all that slop and mud that's usually around this time of year is frozen solid.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Aphex- posted:

Love it when it's below freezing so all that slop and mud that's usually around this time of year is frozen solid.

That's a sweet photo. We're dealing with a freeze/thaw cycle right now as well and I'm considering getting out this Saturday morning when it's actually cold enough (25°) to ride. I love how fast rolling the ground feels.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I drat near cheered when the forecast updated from 0c to -4 on my day off. This year has been too mild. All the trails are soft.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My local trail has been closed since 12/14 because of rain and the temps not getting high enough. I miss my bike rides :smith:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I did 16 miles in 25°F temps to beat the thaw this morning. I rode a multi-use, mixed-surface trail that stretches 40 miles across our county and I had never been on this stretch of it so it was fun. It was also legit dirt single track, which was good. I got too confident at one little technical section and my front wheel got caught on a rock at slow speed and I went OTB for the first time in about two years. I bruised my hand and the guy I was riding with went down too and wound up with one of his feet in a creek. Good times were had.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Anybody have any impressions on high (12-16 degree) backsweep bars?

I'm having an issue in my shoulders/upper back with pain between my shoulder blades that I've tried rest, stretching, strengthening, and PT on without much help so far. I tried checking my bike fit vs me with help from Lee McCormack and sounds like my fit was already really close to ideal. Still, I made the changes he suggested and it didn't help the pain. Seems every ride about 6-7 miles in it starts to hurt and makes doing normal rides more of a chore. I rode a lot more this year than normal, but still only ~700 miles on trails. It started mid summer at the height of my riding, so may have been due to overuse. I haven't really ridden much since August but the few rides since then it's happened still. I've tried paying good attention to my posture while seated as well but again nothing seems to help.

I'm thinking I'll give SQ labs bars a shot and see if it helps because I don't really know what else to do at this point.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
IME, you don't really notice the ergonomic changes and accompanying relief at increments of less than 10deg.
In other words, you'll notice going from 10 to 20, but not 10 to 15. I'm running 29 deg Koyotes, and they feel noticeably less swept (and less comfortable) than Jones' 45 deg.

Levering the bar feels very different at 45 deg, like less pull with the delts/traps and more with the lats. It's weird but also comfortable (for me). I didn't immediately feel like the 71cm felt as narrow or lacking control as that number might seem.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 13, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The koyote ones are only $40, heck for that I'll try them. Thanks for the :words:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Suburban Dad posted:

Anybody have any impressions on high (12-16 degree) backsweep bars?

I'm having an issue in my shoulders/upper back with pain between my shoulder blades that I've tried rest, stretching, strengthening, and PT on without much help so far. I tried checking my bike fit vs me with help from Lee McCormack and sounds like my fit was already really close to ideal. Still, I made the changes he suggested and it didn't help the pain. Seems every ride about 6-7 miles in it starts to hurt and makes doing normal rides more of a chore. I rode a lot more this year than normal, but still only ~700 miles on trails. It started mid summer at the height of my riding, so may have been due to overuse. I haven't really ridden much since August but the few rides since then it's happened still. I've tried paying good attention to my posture while seated as well but again nothing seems to help.

I'm thinking I'll give SQ labs bars a shot and see if it helps because I don't really know what else to do at this point.

I know this is late, but I’m a big believer in the 16 degree sq lab bar. It puts your shoulders in a more relaxed less hunched position. I also have a little time on the pro taper 20/20 bar which I liked but were too narrow. You might also try narrower bars as well.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

kimbo305 posted:

IME, you don't really notice the ergonomic changes and accompanying relief at increments of less than 10deg.
In other words, you'll notice going from 10 to 20, but not 10 to 15. I'm running 29 deg Koyotes, and they feel noticeably less swept (and less comfortable) than Jones' 45 deg.

Levering the bar feels very different at 45 deg, like less pull with the delts/traps and more with the lats. It's weird but also comfortable (for me). I didn't immediately feel like the 71cm felt as narrow or lacking control as that number might seem.

I want to see these 45 degree bars on a mtb

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't have a pic of this setup with a suspension fork, but I rode this with the Jones bar a few times and didn't feel like I was gonna crash because of control issues:

One problem is that the sweep back is so significant that you have to run a longer and flexier stem to get the same reach / hand distance.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I liked jones bars, well the knock offs i can afford, for bike touring enough that I also stuck them on my hybrid bike for work. You need super long grips and bar tape to get as many hand positions as possible though. I also found they took a lot of adjusting and setting up before I could get them really comfortable. One rule of thumb is that they're supposed to be angled down and about the same height as your seat.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Jones bars are great for touring and cruising and kinda terrifying for single track riding. Might as well have a steering wheel up there at that point lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

You need super long grips

If you use the advertised long grips, then the brakes so end up really far inboard. I didn't like riding that way on the street, much less on dirt.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Jones bars are great for touring and cruising and kinda terrifying for single track riding. Might as well have a steering wheel up there at that point lol

I think they're fine for like 99% of natural single track I'd find here in the UK. I wouldn't want to try using them at a bike park though.

I do find the straightish bars on my trail bike a bit uncomfortable and was considering getting something like the stooge moto bar which has like a 17 degree sweep. Probably not worth it :effort:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Oh hey, a MTB thread!

What’s the recommendation for tire sealant? The GF just picked up a Canyon Neuron 7 and it’s tubeless ready so I’m going to convert it for her. Also, rim tape? Any better than others? My mtb came tubeless and I haven’t had to mess with them yet so ...

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Orange seal has been the go to for the thread.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

bamhand posted:

Orange seal

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Braincloud posted:

Oh hey, a MTB thread!

What’s the recommendation for tire sealant? The GF just picked up a Canyon Neuron 7 and it’s tubeless ready so I’m going to convert it for her. Also, rim tape? Any better than others? My mtb came tubeless and I haven’t had to mess with them yet so ...

I think in general "tubeless ready" means all you need is valves and sealant, no tape. Specifically, my Neuron 6 came with rim strips that sealed just fine

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
i use stans and never have any problems but ive also not tried anything else sooooo

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

i use stans and never have any problems but ive also not tried anything else sooooo

Stan's is "adequate" at best. Orange Seal is still the best overall sealant in terms of sealing, air retention, longevity, not balling up, etc. Other sealants like Bontrager TLR (I think it's a derivative of Joe's) have evolved over time as well, but nothing creates that continuous elastic film around the inside of a tire casing like Orange Seal.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 23, 2021

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Orange seal it is!

What’s everyone’s choice of chain lube? I usually run Boeshield T-9 on my road bike but that doesn’t see. Whole lot of dirt. I’m in the PNW so it’s wet season until June.

I just picked up my first modern mountain bike last month. I’d been shopping for a while and trying to find an entry level bike but of course no one had any stock unless my price point went way up to $4K. My buddy just happened to be upgrading to a custom Transition and sold me his 2018 StumpJumper Carbon Comp 27.5 for less than the Giant Stance I’d been trying to source.

Took it to Death Valley a few weeks ago

Been hitting up the local trails outside of Seattle too.

It’s hella fun to ride even though I’m bad.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
There's no one right answer for lubes. They all have trade-offs.

For wet/rain:
Dumonde Tech
Rock n Roll Extreme
Rock n Roll Holy Cow
Silca Synergetic
NixFrixShun

For mud:
Silca Super Secret Chain Lube
Smoove
Squirt

I'm sure there's lot of other recommendations and it all depends on what your priorities are.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Your list is missing “moon dust”

(I’ve just been using Dumonde Tech for everything for years but now I ride like 90% or more in completely dry conditions but with a lot of dust, so I’m interested in suggestions for when my bottle runs out)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
wax for moon dust, it doesn’t attract anything because it’s not sticky, just pull the chain off before you hose the bike down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Thoughts on products like Ride Wrap? I am getting new bike and maybe that's a good buy? I fall enough that the sweet roarnge paint job is gonna see some hurt.