Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ah yes I wonder what the cause could be

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1350028121429467136?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

That was always what they were talking about.

https://twitter.com/andraydomise/status/1349949156773797888?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Not reading the article but I assume it's due to the increased interest in CBT

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Wolfsbane posted:

Yeah, if you read the small print. The adverts were all talking about $2000 cheques.

I feel like it's probably a bad move to have the very first thing you do in office be to let people think that you're a dishonest weasel, but then I'm not a politics expert.

I mean, the whole thing was about the stimulus cheques, and the Democrats wanted $2000, but the Republicans only allowed $600. Those cheques have now gone out. The Democrats said if they took the Senate they'd up it to $2k. So the $1400 means they are.

There's plenty of poo poo to complain about the Democrats about but this is them explicitly meeting an election promise.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Computer, show me the worst soft rock single cover.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

I mean, the whole thing was about the stimulus cheques, and the Democrats wanted $2000, but the Republicans only allowed $600. Those cheques have now gone out. The Democrats said if they took the Senate they'd up it to $2k. So the $1400 means they are.

There's plenty of poo poo to complain about the Democrats about but this is them explicitly meeting an election promise.

Hello I am the wallet inspector

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Hello I am the wallet inspector

I looked in my wallet after and it had another $1400 in it, as promised.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

This thread told me the Chancellor would give me a voucher for a PS5 and I didn't get poo poo. What gives there?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

So just going to ignore the evidence that this isn't true

No wonder you're still a labour member

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

What are the CWU like as a union, since they're now open the general IT, not just communications, workers?

And should you join a union based on your company's overall field, or what you actually do in that company? i.e. I'm an IT person, but my company isn't an IT company.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 15, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Insight into the experience of Polish lorry drivers in Kent. It's going predictably well

https://twitter.com/torynski/status/1349784018628259841?s=21

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Red faced and horny

https://twitter.com/RebeccaWiIks/status/1350034830327762944

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

peanut- posted:

How much value does the 48-hour working week thing have in practice? Every employment contract I've ever signed just has an opt-out clause in it.

IIRC that clause has to be voluntary, they can't make it a condition of employment.

Now whether that matters in practice, well, with the work tribunals being what they are, that's another thing.

e: Also according to the NHS it has some further implications you can't opt out of, namely:

quote:

• 11 hours continuous rest in 24 hours
• 24 hours continuous rest in 7 days (or 48 hrs in
14 days)
• a 20 minute break in work periods of over 6
hours
• 5.6 weeks annual leave (pro-rata for part-time
staff)
• (for night workers) an average of no more than
8 hours work in 24 over the reference period.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 15, 2021

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Angrymog posted:

What are the CWU like as a union, since they're now open the general IT, not just communications, workers?

And should you join a union based on your company's overall field, or what you actually do in that company? i.e. I'm an IT person, but my company isn't an IT company.

CWU are good as a union, whether to join them or not depends on if there's another union already at your work. If there's a branch or just other members of another union you can join it's better to join that as it's increasing your collective strength. If there's nothing obvious then think about whether it's more likely you could get your other workers to join a particular union or not and join the one you think you've got the best odds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Spaffed up the red wall.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not reading the article but I assume it's due to the increased interest in CBT

these articles are usually just a long form version of the “14 words” , but dressed up in a suit

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

That island of yours is overpopulated as is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It makes some interesting points about China, labour supply shock, and bankers taking credit for things that they didn't do, but not one mention of automation in the whole article.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

namesake posted:

CWU are good as a union, whether to join them or not depends on if there's another union already at your work. If there's a branch or just other members of another union you can join it's better to join that as it's increasing your collective strength. If there's nothing obvious then think about whether it's more likely you could get your other workers to join a particular union or not and join the one you think you've got the best odds.

As far as I know we don't have a union at work, but how would I find out?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

peanut- posted:

How much value does the 48-hour working week thing have in practice? Every employment contract I've ever signed just has an opt-out clause in it.

Yeah, this has been my experience as well. Either your job never needed to exceed a 48-hour working week so it never came up, or they made you choose between signing an opt-out or not getting the job. Allowing an opt-out just made it into a box-ticking exercise.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Was the opt-out one of the things that Britain pushed for or was it the Frugal Four?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Mugsbaloney posted:

Expressing an opinion in the soprano Vs satc "debate" is only padding Hadley Freeman's engagement stats on her thought leadership CV, dont do it, have a wank or something

If you were referring to me I had no idea there was any such debate going on. I was just adding my $0.02 about the sopranos :coffeepal:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

sebzilla posted:

Four 12-hour days :colbert:

When I got my first proper job we used to work a 5 on / 3 off shift pattern, 6am - 6pm.

Took us ages to convince our manager we should move to 4 on / 4 off to match what the production teams were working (we were quality assurance).

I liked 4 days off, and you get numb to 12 hour days after a while.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Was the opt-out one of the things that Britain pushed for or was it the Frugal Four?

I don't know about that, but apparently the opt-out applies on per-country basis and is not universal:

euparl posted:

A Member State shall have the option not to apply Article 6 [maximum
weekly working time], while respecting the general principles of the
protection of the safety and health of workers, and provided it takes the
necessary measures to ensure that:
– no employer requires a worker to work more than 48 hours over a seven-day
period, calculated as an average for the reference period referred to in point 2 of
Article 16(b), unless he has first obtained the worker's agreement to perform such
work;
– no worker is subjected to any detriment by his employer because he is not willing to
give his agreement to perform such work;
– the employer keeps up-to-date records of all workers who carry out such work;
– the records are placed at the disposal of the competent authorities, which may, for
reasons connected with the safety and/or health of workers, prohibit or restrict the
possibility of exceeding the maximum weekly working hours;
– the employer provides the competent authorities at their request with information
on cases in which agreement has been given by workers to perform work exceeding
48 hours over a period of seven days, calculated as an average for the reference
period referred to in Article 16(b).

So it's really Britain's fault that it applies in the UK in the first place.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 15, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

the competent authorities
Oh so it never applied here anyway.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dead Goon posted:

When I got my first proper job we used to work a 5 on / 3 off shift pattern, 6am - 6pm.

Took us ages to convince our manager we should move to 4 on / 4 off to match what the production teams were working (we were quality assurance).

I liked 4 days off, and you get numb to 12 hour days after a while.

Ah, numbness. Always a good thing.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Angrymog posted:

As far as I know we don't have a union at work, but how would I find out?

There might be a very shaded reference on your work intranet if you have one, otherwise it's very difficult unless they're recognised by the workplace. Odds are if you're not aware of it after checking the intranet and any main noticeboards then it doesn't exist.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

In fact here's a map of countries with the generalised opt-out (blue ones):

Orange ones have it for emergency workers and the like, green ones for no workers at all.

Bulgaria and Finland Estonia, well, uhm, I guess? Apparently Cyprus too even if it's not on the image.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 15, 2021

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Private Speech posted:

Orange ones have it for emergency workers and the like, green ones for no workers at all.

Bulgaria and Finland, well, uhm, I guess? Apparently Cyprus too even if it's not on the image.

Latvia Lithuania Estonia would like a word with you

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

mrpwase posted:

Latvia Lithuania Estonia would like a word with you

whoops :v: in my def..., uh, I only glanced at the map?

e, alternatively:

Can't, they have to be at work.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 15, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Personally I preferred working longer hours for 4 days because when you factor in the time you lose in unpaid breaks and travel and having to stay a bit longer here and there to finish things up when working shorter shifts over 5 days you're home too late and too knackered to do anything worthwhile of an evening anyway

It was very predictable though that the tories would immediately start an assault on workers' rights as their first priority after brext, beaten only by nazgul patel putting out the idea of bringing back hanging, such is her thirst for blood :psyduck:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
https://twitter.com/annelongfield/status/1349062358312869890

i just noticed that on the old coin bags that have been used to transport meagre scraps of food to children at extortionate cost to the public in one of the world's wealthiest nations, it says "no mixed coin" and the irony has made me very sad

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

crispix posted:

It was very predictable though that the tories would immediately start an assault on workers' rights as their first priority after brext, beaten only by nazgul patel putting out the idea of bringing back hanging, such is her thirst for blood :psyduck:

Yeah, this was always the huge flaw in the Lexit idea - support for Brexit was driven by nationalism and xenophobia, so if you got Brexit you were getting a government far to the right of the EU to go with it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Private Speech posted:

Bulgaria and Finland Estonia, well, uhm, I guess? Apparently Cyprus too even if it's not on the image.

Malta too

e: Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania are in alphabetic order north-south if you ever need to recognise which is which

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Spaffed up the red wall.

How do they know the ages of people?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I prefer working 0 hours, seven days a week.

Check here to see if your house is built on top of an old landfill full of hazardous waste :tbear:
https://www.endsreport.com/article/1704522/mapped-england-wales-toxic-legacy-landfills

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Julio Cruz posted:

Malta too

e: Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania are in alphabetic order north-south if you ever need to recognise which is which

I always go by Estonia being non-slav hence closer to Finland, and Lithuania being former part of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth hence being closest to Poland.

When I actually bother distinguishing them from Finland that is.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Spaffed up the red wall.

Masturbation is a good way to stay awake through the night to watch the results come in. Or so I hear.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You've never noticed the 'tory scowl' before? It's like laugh lines in reverse, formed by a lifetime of making disapproving faces at immigrants / the poor / young people / gays / the blecks etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

If a $600 cheque has gone out & you promise that if you vote for our candidates here then we'll send out a $2000 cheque then some people will assume it's on top of the $600 rather to top up the original $600 to $2000.

It's technically right but misleading is the problem. Sleight of hand is lame (especially as $2000, while nice, is a one off payment rather than a sustained payment to help people during a pandemic. It's not unreasonable to assume there could be more). And that extra $600 is basically a rounding error in the budget of the Pentagon which doesn't seem worth burning trust before your time in office has even loving started

Umbra Dubium posted:

This thread told me the Chancellor would give me a voucher for a PS5 and I didn't get poo poo. What gives there?

He decided to use the money to encourage us all to go to the pub instead.

Oopsy.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 15, 2021