Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

Its incredibly dumb, Archie wasn't even the first sonic the in comic to have the idea that the echidnas were technologically advanced and them having apparently vanished somewhere leaving only Knuckles behind is baked into the setting.

I remember being pretty interested in their being a sonic game equivalent to Paper Mario when it was announced but bioware weren't up to the task of making something charming or fun with the concept even before the disaster of the music.

Yeah, Chronicles is one of the few Sonic games where even the music sucks. Hell, they even ended the game on a cliffhanger because they were sure they were going to get a sequel at the time.

A lot of the dialogue in the game was fun at least but that’s probably the best thing I can say about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

Its incredibly dumb, Archie wasn't even the first sonic the in comic to have the idea that the echidnas were technologically advanced and them having apparently vanished somewhere leaving only Knuckles behind is baked into the setting.

I remember being pretty interested in their being a sonic game equivalent to Paper Mario when it was announced but bioware weren't up to the task of making something charming or fun with the concept even before the disaster of the music.
the writing is good though

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What exactly was the legal issue with the music, that they then had to whip up a new soundtrack based on old Sonic tracks that could have also been legally thorny?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What exactly was the legal issue with the music, that they then had to whip up a new soundtrack based on old Sonic tracks that could have also been legally thorny?

We don't know for sure, he probably did remixes or samples of some tracks that sega didn't technically have rights to. Because the composer was the same guy who did all the battle tracks that are still in the game.

it's notable that all the midis are from S3&K and later games.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Considering what type of company and games Bioware later ended up making, a sequel not happening to this game was probably a blessing in disguise

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i still dont understand why bioware was the dev they chose to make a turnbased rpg

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

bioware weren't up to the task of making something charming or fun

have always felt this

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

sharrrk posted:

i still dont understand why bioware was the dev they chose to make a turnbased rpg

For that matter. I’m also not sure why they decided that a Sonic RPG should be turn based to begin with (or why you’re forced to play a minigame just to run from a battle).

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I hate that Chronicles basically salted the earth for the idea of a Sonic RPG because Paper Mario but with Sonic could be really fun if it was actually done right.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I agree. It's not like they got it right out of the gate with Mario's first RPG either.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The World Ends With You but with Sonic as the light puck

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I agree. It's not like they got it right out of the gate with Mario's first RPG either.

there was one before SMRPG?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Super Mario RPG was good though

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Super Mario RPG is one of the best entries in the genre and has all-time music.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

sharrrk posted:

It was kind of touched on in the video but Sega wasn't specifically looking for a dev to make a Sonic RPG in the first place, Bioware was kinda just spitballing ideas with Sega since they knew a guy there and they brought up "hey, y'know, we're big Sonic fans..."

There's some of the background from an interview with the Bioware guys over here: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Chronicles:_The_Dark_Brotherhood/Magazine_articles

Halibut Barn fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 13, 2021

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Amppelix posted:

the writing is good though

Was it? I remember it feeling like someone unfamiliar with the characters would write after looking at a series bible or something. It’s been a while though.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHzwr_kmq2o

Sonic is in

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

That's one mean bean machine

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Aw yiss, Tropical Resort Act 1 is my jam

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyq1vtFVENw gently caress yeah

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sonic in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is cool and all but it should have bean Dr. Robotnik instead.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sonic in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is cool and all but it should have bean Dr. Robotnik instead.

Actually according to the trailer Robotnik/Eggman is in the game as well (along with Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, and Metal Sonic).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Larryb posted:

Actually according to the trailer Robotnik/Eggman is in the game as well (along with Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, and Metal Sonic).

Not as 'playable' characters, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Should've had a full on mean bean machine skin to the game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just watched it and apparently he's just an avatar. He should be getting voiced lines and such. The same treatment Sonic's getting. Puyo Puyo is like, the one thing that he's got more association to over Sonic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ah, I assumed the big line of character cards they showed were all the “playable” characters in the game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just watched it and apparently he's just an avatar. He should be getting voiced lines and such. The same treatment Sonic's getting. Puyo Puyo is like, the one thing that he's got more association to over Sonic.

After all,

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've gotta brush up on my Puyo Puyo lore.

I find it insane that the entire franchise started out as a mini-game (or spinoff?) in an RPG, then decades later went full circle by having an RPG mode in the last 3DS game before PPT.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

There's still room for 8 more characters on the ppt2 character select. Give it time

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Not playable yet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

There's still room for 8 more characters on the ppt2 character select. Give it time

Give it more time?

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Evil Eagle posted:

Those eight got datamined. No more guest characters.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
sega registered a new patent: similar to dragon quest xi's 3d and 2d mode switch, a setting that lets you change all instances of Eggman to Robotnik and vice versa.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ArfJason posted:

sega registered a new patent: similar to dragon quest xi's 3d and 2d mode switch, a setting that lets you change all instances of Eggman to Robotnik and vice versa.

cowardly

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

ArfJason posted:

It'll never hold. Archie has prior art.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

For anyone who wanted the Whitehead ports of S1/2 on PC/Mac: https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-1-2-2013-Decompilation

also

https://twitter.com/heyjoeway/status/1349864350023118851

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
https://mobile.twitter.com/MystyIe48/status/1349584675556229122?s=09

It's a cute touch

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is Sonic the only “playable” character from his series in the new Puyo Puyo game? Also, is that getting an English release at some point?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
It's already out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sudden Javelin posted:

It's already out

Ah, how is it then?