Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ninjewtsu posted:

Does anyone know of a good video essay or breakdown of the cult classic game vampire the masquerade bloodlines? Basically looking for something as close to hbomberguy's pathologic video as possible, but like, about this other specific game

Here's one by RagarRox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFLdh7g9dBU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Jenny's video is up now's your chance!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4AdFD3E2ok

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

SomeJerkWithACamera pivoted to making a podcast selecting a randomized thing on Disney+, so he does still do other things than simp for MovieBob.

Which, seriously? I don't follow him on twitter because depressed yelling about Trump is, well, depressing. But defending Movie "Eugenics" Bob???

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Groovelord Neato posted:

The only good part of Mr. Strange is how the villain is defeated.
Eh the score is also pretty good and memorable; that and I think the visuals are neat. And much like CP I was also a Spill fan so neat seeing a movie directed by Caryle

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I met him not that long ago when he came to denver for junkfood cinema. He was really nice!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Whenever I see poo poo like this I think "Man, Defunctland is going to have so much material to cover once this is all said and done." If Disneyland's struggling through this then I shudder to think what their competition must be going through right now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

achillesforever6 posted:

Eh the score is also pretty good and memorable; that and I think the visuals are neat. And much like CP I was also a Spill fan so neat seeing a movie directed by Caryle

The score is just Giacchino's Star Trek 09 theme remixed for harpsichord. Obviously there's some more original stuff in the film but the main motif distracted me.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
So I revisited hBomberGuy's old "In Defense of Dark Souls 2" video and I'm amazed at how angry some people still are about it.

Like, I wish I could have that strong an opinion about anything

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Allison coming in with a fairly hot take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDsSCxVS2KA

I get her complaints. I like the episode as an acting showcase and as a little anthology-like break from the usual characters and formulas of the show—like, it’s good to me because I don’t really think of it as a Star Trek episode, like why the 50s sci-fi magazine racism IT’S REAL episode of DS9 is good. But I think these complaints about how it should fit into the larger frame of the series are pretty reasonable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I agree with her that Hard Time covers the same concept a lot better but I do wish they had kept up with O'Brien's mental anguish.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

YggiDee posted:

Jenny's video is up now's your chance!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4AdFD3E2ok

THE SERIES THAT BROUGHT WOMEN TO THE FRONT LINE

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Whenever I see poo poo like this I think "Man, Defunctland is going to have so much material to cover once this is all said and done." If Disneyland's struggling through this then I shudder to think what their competition must be going through right now.

The whole culture around park goers is wild. Jenny went into why annual passes were bad in the long run. They essentially clog up the park and the tourists who would spend the most can barely do anything.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I went on youtube to see if I could find the full DVD commercial Jenny kept playing in the Vampire Diaries video and her Vampire Diaries video was the third result when I searched for "china beach".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

I went on youtube to see if I could find the full DVD commercial Jenny kept playing in the Vampire Diaries video and her Vampire Diaries video was the third result when I searched for "china beach".

I haven’t watched her vampire diaries video yet, but Jenny posted the full version of the ad with her audio on her twitter a while ago. That may not be helpful if she tweets ten thousand times a day.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

KingKalamari posted:

So I revisited hBomberGuy's old "In Defense of Dark Souls 2" video and I'm amazed at how angry some people still are about it.

People are pretty ride or die about the souls games. My personal favorite new one is the incredibly tepid "they changed how demon's souls looks and I don't like it" because people absolutely lose their poo poo over someone not liking how the remake looks. You don't even have to say it looks bad to set people off.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dawgstar posted:

The whole culture around park goers is wild. Jenny went into why annual passes were bad in the long run. They essentially clog up the park and the tourists who would spend the most can barely do anything.

They're helpful for planning a trip... but they're also literally the reason why my sister went overboard in planning our trip that we cancelled early due to anti-Asian sentiments at the time/covid because the waits for some rides can take forever so you'd want to use your fastpasses wisely, etc.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

It's the perfect storm. He's fundamentally correct that DS2 is fantastic, and he makes a few trivial but objectively incorrect statements. It's the Anita Sarkeesian formula.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Nuns with Guns posted:

I can do you one better, here's Jenny's "cover" of the commercial:

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1331507176351825920

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I don't have time to watch a 2.5 hour video for at least another 8 hours or so but I'm scared it will be taken down again and have to get cut to pieces before being reuploaded, like so many other videos struggling with strikes recently

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I downloaded it for that exact reason.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Allison coming in with a fairly hot take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDsSCxVS2KA

I get her complaints. I like the episode as an acting showcase and as a little anthology-like break from the usual characters and formulas of the show—like, it’s good to me because I don’t really think of it as a Star Trek episode, like why the 50s sci-fi magazine racism IT’S REAL episode of DS9 is good. But I think these complaints about how it should fit into the larger frame of the series are pretty reasonable.

I totally agree with her. I hated that episode.

For me, it’s mainly because I find mind-control and memory manipulation to be some of the scariest concepts to imagine. Even scarier than death, in a way. I don’t mind seeing a show with that as a plot point as long as it’s being played for an appropriate amount of horror, but not when it’s being glossed over like in this episode.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Also Noah Caldwell-Gervais, the best essayist on Youtube, has a video about the games of Troika.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I remember watching a TV Special fluff piece about the impact Star Trek had on the fans where they interviewed the man who bought the Inner Light flute on auction, and he seemed quite pleased with himself having done so. They then cut to an interview with Patrick Stewart where they ask him about the auction, and I remember him pretty much saying “The flute was fake, it doesn’t even play” like the guy wasted his money.

All of this to say that I agree that the Inner Light was really, really boring.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

i am tim! posted:

I remember watching a TV Special fluff piece about the impact Star Trek had on the fans where they interviewed the man who bought the Inner Light flute on auction, and he seemed quite pleased with himself having done so. They then cut to an interview with Patrick Stewart where they ask him about the auction, and I remember him pretty much saying “The flute was fake, it doesn’t even play” like the guy wasted his money.

All of this to say that I agree that the Inner Light was really, really boring.

Even if the flute wasn't fake the guy wasted his money, but whatever, I'm sure he doesn't think so.

I liked Inner Light but I never thought it was super good, it's a fine episode. I was actually quite surprised when I learned that a lot of people think of this episode as some sort of masterpiece.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Darmok was the better Season 5 episode.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Adventure Time did a better version of Inner Light anyways.

It even had Jonathan Frakes!

rox
Sep 7, 2016

finally got around to watching voidburger's phantasmagoria 2 video and it was fantastic! its always been one of my favourite fmv titles since i stumbled across it years and years ago and its awesome to see someone lay their thoughts about it a lot better than i ever could.

i too grew up learning absolutely nothing about the queer experience in school and only knew so much about it because basically my mom's entire social group were themselves lgbtqia+

unfortunately i didnt come to terms with my own gender identity and sexuality until after my mom passed away, which is a real shame because i know she would have been such a great ally.

anyways enough about me, heres a link to the video in case you missed it!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0yvSzPSqrQ

i really hope she makes more essays in the future!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Monstrum on Baba Yaga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS4VCxMeWQM

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Arist posted:

It's loving Rocco from Mega64, dude

who

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This doesn't work when you're posting on Something Awful.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Groovelord Neato posted:

This doesn't work when you're posting on Something Awful.

what?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i don't want to hear anything about rocco, or his modern life

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I have the vaugest idea that mega64 made some funny videos I may or may not have watched back in 2008 and its wild that so many people are shocked that not everyone is familiar with this one dude.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They were popular on these forums (to the point there was some kind of partnership thing I remember there being a stickied thread in GBS for awhile).

They were also mentioned a couple pages ago because they did a video mocking Linkara's Power Rangers poo poo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I went to a Mega64 panel at an anime convention like 15 years ago where they were giving out audience prizes throughout, and midway through one of the prizes was "no prize lol, we're kicking you out of the panel nerd." You could tell they really thought it was going to be funny, but instead the room just got really awkward and ~15 minutes later they had convention staff track the guy down and bring him back so they could apologize and give him a bunch of merch.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Mega64 are the guys who in the early 2000s made hidden camera prank videos featuring video game cosplay. Rocco is presumably one of those guys.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZuzZIirRus

I had no idea this was mocking something specific when I first saw it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Groovelord Neato posted:

They were popular on these forums (to the point there was some kind of partnership thing I remember there being a stickied thread in GBS for awhile).

No real SA poster ever read GBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
If you post on this forum and don't know who mega64 is but you do know all these other youtubers, should be extremely ashamed imo

Sydin posted:

I went to a Mega64 panel at an anime convention like 15 years ago where they were giving out audience prizes throughout, and midway through one of the prizes was "no prize lol, we're kicking you out of the panel nerd." You could tell they really thought it was going to be funny, but instead the room just got really awkward and ~15 minutes later they had convention staff track the guy down and bring him back so they could apologize and give him a bunch of merch.

thats hilarious