Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

tomapot posted:

I guess I’m in the minority, wasn’t thrilled with our Magical Express experience the one time we tried it. Since then I’ve always rented a car, we like not being held to a bus schedule and occasionally getting outside the resort eco-system.

for us its not having to manage our bags at Orlando airport when we're leaving, and not driving. its 100% unsafe to drive around Disney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

alg posted:

for us its not having to manage our bags at Orlando airport when we're leaving, and not driving. its 100% unsafe to drive around Disney

I thought that was just another Test Track ride on hard skill level.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

alg posted:

Pssh, we drive in Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Orlando ain't got poo poo on them. :colbert:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Silly Burrito posted:

Pssh, we drive in Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Orlando ain't got poo poo on them. :colbert:

That stretch of I10 from high rise to 90 is a killer.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

My parents live in that area and do the drive between BR and NOLA regularly. Those are without a doubt the worst drivers in the US, and I’ve lived or travelled almost everywhere in the US.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Orlando isn't too bad to get around really. I've been there for the Microsoft conference several times in the last few years, never had a problem getting around. Avoiding the toll roads can be a hassle, work was paying though so I didn't care before.

Here's a post from Disboards that sums up the DME experience for me

" (DME is...) The first touch point with the guest. Yes it was managed by Mears but it was very nicely done. The buses were clean and comfortable. You didn't have to worry about your luggage. The videos were funny and well done and made you excited about your stay. Typically the driver would do a countdown as you approached the WDW road sign. The first touch of Disney magic and a fun and unique experience."

Like I mentioned earlier, the appeal is you get off the plane and enter the bubble. You go to the Mickey bus and enter Walt's World. Just put on my magic band and off we go. My bags magically appear in my room in a few hours, and I'm free to hit the parks or do whatever we want. My kids were always excited and put their magic bands on during the plane ride to Orlando and ride the Mickey Bus.

The first touch point with the guest thing really hit home for me. Instead of a smooth experience getting off the plane, now people have to deal with rental car counters, shuttle operations, Uber/Lyft. We often travel with someone that needs a wheelchair, and if you have small kids you have to deal with car seats and stuff. It all could be a big headache, so instead of getting off the plane happy and excited, odds are you're going to be cranky before you even get to WDW. Not the best way to start a very expensive vacation. Mears will probably keep the service running, but how much is it going to cost? Disneyland Express was like 48 bucks I think from LAX, but that's a longer drive too. Another 200 bucks for a family of 4 to replace a previously included service is going to leave a bad taste in repeat visitors mouths.

Is this going to be a big deal for me personally? No, not really. My kids are older and don't need car seats anymore, which is nice, I also get free parking when I use my DVC points so that won't cost me extra. Orlando rental cars can be pretty cheap via Costco or other discount sites, so really this isn't a huge deal monetarily for me. We might actually come out a bit ahead considering we can get our own groceries with a car instead of using Garden Grocer or Instacart. With the parks closing so early we can take the car to I drive and explore around a bit. I can guarantee I'll be spending a lot less money on property though. Why pay for California Grill Brunch when I have a car and can visit one of dozens of 5* restaurants in Orlando? I'm not going to pay for Cape May dinner when I can take the car and for the same price hit up Fogo or Texas de Brazil. We'll probably go to Universal for a couple days if I have a rental car, so that 7 to 10 day ticket I was going to buy might be only a 5 day and then they're losing the associated spending of us being on property for those days. It just seems really short sighted to make this change.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah, forgot to mention I’m in northern New Jersey so Florida Drivers are just transplants from up here anyway.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
There's a reason why the local joke is "Orlando is an hour away from Orlando". Our infrastructure is beyond laughable and the 10 year I4 project will be outdated before it's even scheduled to finish, much less the 3-4 years later it actually finishes.

If you're only around the stretch of I-drive to Disney things aren't too bad, but Universal to Maitland is a true Mad Max hellscape.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I can't imagine Disney isn't planning basically the same thing but a paid option, hence the one year break for both logistics planning and PR.

Otherwise wonder if MCO is asking the mouse for a chunk of change for some renovations because can you loving imagine what the rideshare area will look like?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
It’s absolutely wild that they announced the end of MDE without announcing a replacement. I guess they gave themselves plenty of runway with the 2022 date so there’s plenty of time to announce the next thing.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Woah they just axed Disneyland APs

https://twitter.com/DisneyParksNews/status/1349832368329113601

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
DL will almost certainly be closed for over a year before they can open again. I can't say I'm shocked that they are reevaluating now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think there's probably a California law saying they can't just hold APs indefinitely if the parks aren't open and fully expect them to return with an increased price when things open.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Bottom Liner posted:

I think there's probably a California law saying they can't just hold APs indefinitely if the parks aren't open and fully expect them to return with an increased price when things open.

APs will most likely not return to DLR unless they start having issues hitting capacity with day ticket holders, which is unlikely for a very long while even after they can return to 100% capacity.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

As someone who had his first DLR AP cut off by a few months due to the helltimes: Yeah, okay.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
It would have been better if they had ended the program prior to Galaxy's Edge launch, but I'm glad it's gone nonetheless.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

This is the most enthusiastic Disney fans have been for something starting with "Disney discontinues" since...what, the Maliboomer?

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
The lack of crowds has made up a bit for the lack of ambience this week for my wife and I. Its our last day, were at AK, and wow there's not much to do here with everything shut down. We might be done by like... 1? Kind of a bummer for our last day, but what ya gonna do on a pandemic vacation. Shrug. lovely time to have a 10th anniversary you've planned for years. :-/

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Boxman posted:

This is the most enthusiastic Disney fans have been for something starting with "Disney discontinues" since...what, the Maliboomer?

yeah, because DLR has gone from "a magical experience" to "the place where all the rich locals with kids (or cameras) go to hang out for an annual fee"

might as well be a golf club, and good luck getting a tee time

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Coasterphreak posted:

yeah, because DLR has gone from "a magical experience" to "the place where all the rich locals with kids (or cameras) go to hang out for an annual fee"

might as well be a golf club, and good luck getting a tee time

We actually plan our DLR trips around the annual passholder blackouts. Last trip we went was over MLK weekend a few years ago. Annual passes were blocked the Friday through Monday and opened up Tues/Wed. The parks were 100% completely different that Tuesday when the local AP blackout was lifted. We rode the train with a couple SAHM's with their kids who just went to DL to get out of the house and eat some popcorn on the train with their infants. The jean jacket club people everywhere. It was waaaaay more crowded on a Tuesday than it was the entire holiday weekend. Felt like half of Anaheim was there.

Disney will bring the AP back though eventually, they need the local goodwill from the program when it comes to local politics I think. The program will get more expensive and change I'm sure, but I don't think they can permanently get away from it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Gejimayu posted:

The lack of crowds has made up a bit for the lack of ambience this week for my wife and I. Its our last day, were at AK, and wow there's not much to do here with everything shut down. We might be done by like... 1? Kind of a bummer for our last day, but what ya gonna do on a pandemic vacation. Shrug. lovely time to have a 10th anniversary you've planned for years. :-/

Mine was my 15th and I didn't even get to see him. Haven't seen him for over a year. Sucks but people are still being enormously irresponsible and 4000+ dead a day means neither of us are getting on a plane any time soon.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Mine was my 15th and I didn't even get to see him. Haven't seen him for over a year. Sucks but people are still being enormously irresponsible and 4000+ dead a day means neither of us are getting on a plane any time soon.

My condolences. I can't imagine being apart from my partner for that long.

We've been incredibly fortunate to both be "computer touchers" who can work from home, as have her parents. We've been able to continue to see them because none of us go out anywhere and we are able to get groceries delivered.

The weather is getting nice here in South Florida and my busy time at work is slowing down. I'm really itching to go to the parks, but if we made it 10 months, we can wait a few more for our turn at the vaccines.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/SuperWeenieHtJr/status/1350131370186706946

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

those would be dope af on an actual cruise ship though

also found this in the comments

https://twitter.com/GratDisMemes/status/1349698327256969216

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 15, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lmao disney that looks horrible

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Question for the travel planning folks here: Staying at Pop right now and when I checked in they took an extra hundred bucks out of my account, and according to them this is for a "hold" but I've never experienced this before and I've stayed at resorts quite a bit. Is this a new policy? Highly confusing and it seemed at first I wouldn't get it back but I will. I am just lucky I had the money in my account for it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Question for the travel planning folks here: Staying at Pop right now and when I checked in they took an extra hundred bucks out of my account, and according to them this is for a "hold" but I've never experienced this before and I've stayed at resorts quite a bit. Is this a new policy? Highly confusing and it seemed at first I wouldn't get it back but I will. I am just lucky I had the money in my account for it.

Is the card a debit card?

Lots of places put holds on things if you're using a debit card. Gas stations, hotels, restaurants. If it was debit card I'm more shocked you've never had it happen at a hotel before.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It should be just a hold. There's an article about it on their website. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/f...0be%20obtained.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm the airplane air thingies in the last picture.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is the card a debit card?

Lots of places put holds on things if you're using a debit card. Gas stations, hotels, restaurants. If it was debit card I'm more shocked you've never had it happen at a hotel before.

Holds happen with credit cards just the same, you just don't notice them.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Braksgirl posted:

It should be just a hold. There's an article about it on their website. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/f...0be%20obtained.

Ah okay. This makes a lot more sense than how the front desk people explained it when I talked to them. Glad I didn't go nuts on the room charges then.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fame Douglas posted:

Holds happen with credit cards just the same, you just don't notice them.

Yup you're right. I should have mentioned that.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Why????

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/1350897945755971591?s=21

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Because it’s sooo sooooooo bad it became cool somehow?

It was so bad I laughed on it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

the skipping CD soundtrack was legitimately hilarious and I don't know if that was the ride messing up or a clever call back to the early 2000s

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

My sister and I both got super into Star Wars for a couple years. I collected a ton of toys and comics and she read a substantial portion of the EU books. We saw Episode One in theatres like a dozen times.

Are there any kids that actually like Star Wars enough to sleep in these beds and give up park time to hang out in their *~*immersive hotel experience*~*? I assume 12 year old me would just rather go hang out at Hollywood Studios.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Let's be honest, the Star Wars hotel isn't targeted at kids

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
and the bunk beds are for the two buddies that chipped in on the room

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
dunno if there'll be a doorknob to put a sock on, but that probably won't be an issue for most guests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

couldcareless posted:

Let's be honest, the Star Wars hotel isn't targeted at kids

Which is precisely why I find the bunk beds' apparent length, and the concept art prominently featuring kids, so baffling. I am one of the old nerds who is looking forward to someday doing this experience with some of my old nerd friends. We're going to be pretty disappointed if we can't sleep on our space cruise ship. :(