Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
The pubs here were all taking covid safe measures much more seriously than any coffee shop or restaurant I saw. Re-open the pubs!! I'd be happy with a restriction to 25-45yo with no children to minimise the risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The pubs here were all taking covid safe measures much more seriously than any coffee shop or restaurant I saw. Re-open the pubs!! I'd be happy with a restriction to 25-45yo with no children to minimise the risk.

What about doggos? Is it fair to allow a dickhead human to go to the pub but not a certified good boy or girl?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Catte

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

stev posted:

What about doggos? Is it fair to allow a dickhead human to go to the pub but not a certified good boy or girl?

Doggos that don't lick faces in public are allowed.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

crispix posted:

Personally I preferred working longer hours for 4 days because when you factor in the time you lose in unpaid breaks and travel and having to stay a bit longer here and there to finish things up when working shorter shifts over 5 days you're home too late and too knackered to do anything worthwhile of an evening anyway

It was very predictable though that the tories would immediately start an assault on workers' rights as their first priority after brext, beaten only by nazgul patel putting out the idea of bringing back hanging, such is her thirst for blood :psyduck:

4x 12 hour days were fantastic, until I had kids and then i wouldn't get to see them at all for those 4 days. Also why would you keep working past your end time? I was like fred flintstone, as soon as that bird blasted air it was down tools and out the door

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kecske posted:

, as soon as that bird blasted air it was down tools and out the door

This sounds like some relationship advice from Nuts magazine

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

namesake posted:

There might be a very shaded reference on your work intranet if you have one, otherwise it's very difficult unless they're recognised by the workplace. Odds are if you're not aware of it after checking the intranet and any main noticeboards then it doesn't exist.

I can't remember seeing anything like a poster, which I presume would be an obvious low-effort thing for a union rep to put up; a brief search of our Intranet didn't show anything either.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

crispix posted:

https://twitter.com/annelongfield/status/1349062358312869890

i just noticed that on the old coin bags that have been used to transport meagre scraps of food to children at extortionate cost to the public in one of the world's wealthiest nations, it says "no mixed coin" and the irony has made me very sad

That's not even half a carrot. A quarter, maybe?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Can't remember which lockdown it was but the one that was scheduled to come into effect at 6pm on a Friday in Wales, we went to the pub just to see what happened. There were only a few people in there & you could tell everyone was doing the exact same thing as us, it was just older couples looking around and checking their watches. They just quietly asked everyone to leave at 6, no SWAT teams or anything, v disappointing.

Of course, on the way home we passed another place that still had people jammed into every available space & was serving drinks after 6. This is a place that put up a "official self-isolation zone" sign before lockdown 1, was jam packed every night when the pubs opened up, and had the gall to put a "thank u NHS" mural up at the same time. Which they then painted over when they got temporarily ordered to close, and changed the sign to say "flu world order". Cunts.

e: conversation moved on, replying to LotL

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Angrymog posted:

That's not even half a carrot. A quarter, maybe?

I honestly can't believe that any organization would actually do that. A quarter of an onion? It's a joke photo, surely.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 15, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

kecske posted:

4x 12 hour days were fantastic, until I had kids and then i wouldn't get to see them at all for those 4 days. Also why would you keep working past your end time? I was like fred flintstone, as soon as that bird blasted air it was down tools and out the door

If there's one thing that getting a job in construction taught me its that some people really don't know what to do with their free time and as a result dont like having any

farcry
Jan 18, 2006

Private Speech posted:

IIRC that clause has to be voluntary, they can't make it a condition of employment.

Now whether that matters in practice, well, with the work tribunals being what they are, that's another thing.

e: Also according to the NHS it has some further implications you can't opt out of, namely:

I work for one of the big food retailers on nights. This entire list is broken as standard. They claim the break regulation is 15 mins break for every 4 hours worked and it's an 8 hour rest period between shifts. Which they don't always meet either.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If there's one thing that getting a job in construction taught me its that some people really don't know what to do with their free time and as a result dont like having any

In two of my (male majority) workplaces, there were quite a bunch of chaps (mostly married) who would get in unnecessarily (so I'm not talking about people on shift or on call) at 730-8am and spend an hour or so having their breakfast, reading the paper, taking a long sit on 'the throne' and hanging around with cups of coffee in corridors and between desks going on about how worthy they were for getting in early, how woefully inadequate people getting at - gasp - 930am (despite said later getter-iners staying til 630pm or later), then they would be out the door on the dot of 4pm.

I used to annoy them by saying the only reason they did that was so they could get out of the whole getting the kids up, breakfasted and to school situation.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kaal posted:

I honestly can't believe that any organization would actually do that. A quarter of an onion? It's a joke photo, surely.

I must admit I'm a bit suspicious that that photo is a stooge got up to discredit all the genuine photos showing woefully inadequate supplies. I really find it hard to believe that coin bags were used.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

kecske posted:

yeah you can't do that in every job

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In two of my (male majority) workplaces, there were quite a bunch of chaps (mostly married) who would get in unnecessarily (so I'm not talking about people on shift or on call) at 730-8am and spend an hour or so having their breakfast, reading the paper, taking a long sit on 'the throne' and hanging around with cups of coffee in corridors and between desks going on about how worthy they were for getting in early, how woefully inadequate people getting at - gasp - 930am (despite said later getter-iners staying til 630pm or later), then they would be out the door on the dot of 4pm.

I used to annoy them by saying the only reason they did that was so they could get out of the whole getting the kids up, breakfasted and to school situation.

Sounds familiar except at my work the folk who were in at 8am were the same ones in at half 6!

Used to hate walking past their desks as i bolted out at 5pm!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I used to try quite hard to encourage the newer members of my team to only do their salaried hours, since there's always more work to do if you stay at your desk.
It's harder to know who needs that sort of encouragement when most people are working from home, though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
being a nation of bootlickers is bad but at least there is this

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1350060245561864192?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose posted:

Is Poland the anti-vax capital of the world or something?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kingturnip posted:

I used to try quite hard to encourage the newer members of my team to only do their salaried hours, since there's always more work to do if you stay at your desk.
It's harder to know who needs that sort of encouragement when most people are working from home, though.

Had a frank discussion in my end of year review about how I will never work more than my 37.5 hours per week lol.

To clarify it was a genuine "frank discussion" not an argument, and I was safe enough to do this because my manager has gone big on work-life balance and personal choice, and personally makes a point of taking her holiday time.

I worked too many insane weeks during my PhD (plus second job) to ever give a poo poo again. gently caress an overtime

stev posted:

based on this poll that's France

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Full political maps of Europe always draw my eye to that weird little stub of Russia between Poland and Lithuania, completely cut off from the rest of the country and just quietly minding its own business, hoping nobody will notice whatever it might be up to...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Payndz posted:

Full political maps of Europe always draw my eye to that weird little stub of Russia between Poland and Lithuania, completely cut off from the rest of the country and just quietly minding its own business, hoping nobody will notice whatever it might be up to...

Kaliningrad Oblast is best Oblast

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

stev posted:

Apparently the government party is half-full of conspiracy theorists and their UKIP-equivalent is full-on crazies.

Here's some more random figures I dug out (which would generally appear higher but the gist of it is the same):

quote:

The survey also showed that 82% of those backing Poland’s Left party and 65% backing the liberal Civic Platform support inoculations. Among those who support the governing PiS party, 56% share this view. Only 5% of those who support Poland’s far-right Confederation Liberty and Independence party, meanwhile, approve of coronavirus vaccinations.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 15, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

the governing PiS party
We also have one of those.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Failed Imagineer posted:

based on this poll that's France

Based on everything I've heard from my (French) wife's family, friends, and customers (she works in seafood exports which is going very well after Brexit as you've all heard) this is absolutely true.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, but they're not anti-vax, they're just waiting to see if it's safe
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1350062132914753539

What the difference is when there's an ongoing pandemic of a virus that we know isn't safe, I'm not quite sure.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Based on everything I've heard from my (French) wife's family, friends, and customers (she works in seafood exports which is going very well after Brexit as you've all heard) this is absolutely true.

Would they be more amenable to the vaccine if it was available as a suppository?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah Ive talked to a lot of french people who are pretty antivax and not exactly frothing right wing maniacs - big cultural touchstone seems to have been a big panic about the Hep B vaccine causing MS in the late 90s that reached the point that the government had to stop mandatory vaccinations , a bit like our MMR causes Autism debacles but on a larger scale.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And actually plausible (but disproved by multiple studies) because MS is at least an autoimmune condition so they were somewhere in the ballpark of reasonable concern.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

One of her customers is also a full on 5G conspiracy nutjob.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This is more than I was expecting tbh

https://twitter.com/john_actuary/status/1350112967552098306?s=19

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Testing seems to be much easier as well. I was cycling through the greenwich navel college grounds today when I passed a testing site with about 30 free spaces, so just went in, got a test and a (negative) result texted to my phone half an hour later.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Presumably most of the civil service is still around, so boring logistical work (that doesn't involve crossing borders) can still get done. That combined with most of our vaccine stock being manufactured in the UK and so less exposed to Brexit fuckery.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

While this is good, I feel like a large part of the reason for this is that the Tories have hosed up so hard that a vaccination is literally the only hope for any real future. It's so bad that even anti-vaxxers, are like "I'll risk it, the alternative is horrifying".

Anyway - lol:

https://twitter.com/MorganPaulett/status/1349758119895818243

(To be clear this is not Morgan's bedroom).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-negative-test-requirement-for-people-arriving-in-england-delayed-until-next-week-12187294

quote:

COVID-19: Negative test requirement for people arriving in England delayed until next week
People arriving in England will now have to prove they tested negative for coronavirus from Monday and not Friday as planned.

The government has been accused of allowing "a gap in our defences" after it delayed COVID testing for international travellers to England, little more than 24 hours after it was due to come into force.

People arriving in England from abroad will now have to prove they have tested negative for coronavirus from Monday and not Friday as originally planned.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the delay was to “give international arrivals time to prepare” after the full guidance was only published on Wednesday night.

etc

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Anyone understand the ICO's data protection payment racket? I think we have to pay them as we do technically keep names, some qualifications of contractors and the occasional contact number on file as part of contract documentation we produce (which is shared with contractors and clients), and I guess that falls outside their broad list of exceptions (staff admin, accounts, own marketing and pr etc.) but I'm not sure if it counts as data or processing or whatever. We don't use any CCTV.

It's only £40/£60 but I'm sick of these schemes banging on the door demanding cash for existing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The whole concept of travel corridors was insane to begin with, especially given how relaxed the government was about the requirement to isolate. It effectively put a hard limit on how effective lockdown measures could be, as no matter what we did in the UK there's been an endless stream of potential carriers coming in and out of the country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Machete is good, 9 people said machete, that's number three, we've got guns at number 2, but there's still the top place to win, so Terry, name something a spree killer might have on their wall

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tarnop posted:

Presumably most of the civil service is still around, so boring logistical work (that doesn't involve crossing borders) can still get done. That combined with most of our vaccine stock being manufactured in the UK and so less exposed to Brexit fuckery.

well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

kustomkarkommando posted:

Yeah Ive talked to a lot of french people who are pretty antivax and not exactly frothing right wing maniacs - big cultural touchstone seems to have been a big panic about the Hep B vaccine causing MS in the late 90s that reached the point that the government had to stop mandatory vaccinations , a bit like our MMR causes Autism debacles but on a larger scale.

One of the strange things about the anti-vaccine movement is that people in different countries have different reasons for opposing vaccination. It's autism in the UK, supposed mercury content in the US... Almost like there's an innate level of fear that need something to coalesce around.