Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Will we see Xeons with Xe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Does the 11400 make more sense this time around, compared to the 10400? I remember reading that they'll run DDR3200 now. Putting together a cheapish gaming system for a friend this spring and it seems like a good deal.

Assuming you can get it for the rumored $200/€200, then yeah, it will probably compare pretty favorably to AMD's current offerings.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

track day bro! posted:

Kinda tempted to go for the 11900k to replace my matx 5820K setup, I was tempted with a ryzen 5000 but you have an option of like 2 matx amd boards. Wheras there are always more options on Intel.

I should just get a normal atx case lmao

Quite a few b550 Matx boards now, as well as x570.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Will we see Xeons with Xe?

I want one with Xe + more than 20 lanes / x4/x4/x4/x4 bifurcation for my nutty super-NAS idea, but seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The 11900KF looks interesting to me. Maybe by the time those actually exist and are purchasable I'll build a new desktop with one and replace my old dual Sandy Bridge Xeon server with my 8700K.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

These Z590 prices are insane. I know thats to be expected after X570 and Z490 were also insane, but cmon.

The Ace/Hero/Master tier of premium boards is looking like a $499 MSRP. And thats not even the top tier anymore. Cmon man, its a motherboard.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Seems odd, x570 AMD gen4 boards weren’t that expensive iirc so they can’t claim it is due to pcie gen4 with more expensive material or extra layers..

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The entire market is hosed. Trump* Chinese tariffs kicked end at the end of the year. Supplies not here are going to cost %20 more easily.
*no political, I don't care

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ah yeah rona and tariffs would be reasonable potential reasons, true

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Not sure why you would buy an 11900 over an 11700? Ok you lose some boost and a few mhz’s but still 8/16?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
pretty much a “we don’t really have anything that’s really i9 tier but we can’t just not make an i9 without looking like knobs so it’s, uh, an i7 but clocked higher”.

They are back in the situation where they have 2 variants of the product to spread across 3 segments. The only real alternative was going back to the 9th gen segmentation where i5 and i7 have SMT disabled but that makes those parts fairly unattractive when Zen3 is now performance competitive, and they would be absolutely roasted in reviews for taking SMT back out again.

If you start with only the i9 being 8C16T then you obviously have to take something out of the i7s and below. And just like 9th gen - if they had done something like take SMT out of i7 (8C8T) then there is no real performance delta vs a 6C12T i5, so the i5 needs SMT cut too and congrats neither of those parts are market competitive.

Not that it’s stopped Intel in the past but this was the only realistic way to segment these products without abandoning the i9 segment, without changing prices, and without making most of them uncompetitive. i9 obviously becomes kind of a dumb halo 1800X style product vs the i7 being a 1700 here, but you don’t have to buy it and the i7 will probably overclock to pretty much the same place, and some people will pay extra for a better shot at a top bin.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 15, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, actually, unless they segment out some OC feature, there's not much reason not to just get an 11700K(F) and give it a bit more voltage to reach 5 GHz all-core.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, the 11900k is sort of a prebinned 11700k, a lot like the relationship between the 10850k and 10900k now. I think only the i9 will have TVB on as well.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I love how this shows him holding every Itanium 2 ever sold.

So as of 2020/2021 Itanium is 100% dead my company bought into HP and the Itanium. fun fact you know how x86 intel parts are i3 i5 and i7, the itanium side is i2, i4 and i6. They are crap and dead end, and we need to replace our companies database but that is 7 years off when we offically loose all support for the itanium servers we just bought to limp along.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

BobHoward posted:

going down with the Itanic.

lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

movax posted:

I want one with Xe + more than 20 lanes / x4/x4/x4/x4 bifurcation for my nutty super-NAS idea, but seriously doubt that's going to happen.
:same:
Since it's presumably 2x PCI-Ex 4.0 x16, I'll take 20 lanes with a PXI-Ex switch on the CPU and 2x PCI-Ex 4.0 x16 with a PCI-Ex switch on the ICH.
I feel that's a much more reasonable layout, and there really shouldn't be any bandwidth limits for anything you hang off PCI-Ex 4.0.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/15/22232554/intel-ceo-apple-lifestyle-company-cpus-comment

quote:

“We have to deliver better products to the PC ecosystem than any possible thing that a lifestyle company in Cupertino” makes, Gelsinger reportedly told Intel employees.

Idiot.

e: What I mean is: NAME your competition, acknowledge who and what they are, identify what you need to change. Don't be cute about it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

He should have called them Crapple. That would have showed 'em.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I think he's highlighting that a lifestyle company is dunking all over them and their core business and phrased it in a way to show how ridiculous it is

I don't think he cares about being cute or trying to get a burn in, it's to highlight the systemic failure of the company that let this happen

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 15, 2021

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/15/22232554/intel-ceo-apple-lifestyle-company-cpus-comment

Idiot.

e: What I mean is: NAME your competition, acknowledge who and what they are, identify what you need to change. Don't be cute about it.

He named Apple several times in the address :shrug:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It's a good point, too. Pat please save me from my iPad mini that I can't deny the performance-in-form-factor of

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

WhyteRyce posted:

I think he's highlighting that a lifestyle company is dunking all over them and their core business and phrased it in a way to show how ridiculous it is

I don't think he cares about being cute or trying to get a burn in, it's to highlight the systemic failure of the company that let this happen

The problem is, Apple isn't a "lifestyle company." They're a technology company that's adopted a very successful lifestyle strategy for their product development and marketing. But, even in their lowest, darkest days, they always had very good software and hardware people on board. A lot of their issues in the past specifically came from making deliberately contrarian technology decisions and sticking with them, instead of just taking generic mass-market tech and slapping a pretty coat of industrial design on top.

There are all kinds of caveats here about how this is a semi-public event, so I'm sure part of it is sending a message to employees and investors that Apple is not some unbeatable titan. But, if he's actually drinking the koolaid he's serving, it's not a good look for the future of the company.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

That’s a lot of caveats and interpretations for something that can be easily explained by him saying a company that specializes in producing CPUs needs to make a better CPUs than a company that does it for ancillary reasons

They absolutely need to make better products than Apple, he’s not wrong about that. But I’ll stop speculating myself since I haven’t read the full thing just the verge clickbait title

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 15, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

WhyteRyce posted:

That’s a lot of caveats and interpretations for something that can be easily explained by him saying a company that specializes in producing CPUs needs to make a better CPUs than a company that does it for ancillary reasons

Yeah, that is what I took from it:

"Hey guys, we do (really) one thing, we should probably do it better than some other company who does our "thing" as a second-class-citizen side-line project (and may be doing it in large part because they don't like our products)."

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

Yeah, that is what I took from it:

"Hey guys, we do (really) one thing, we should probably do it better than some other company who does our "thing" as a second-class-citizen side-line project (and may be doing it in large part because they don't like our products)."
That's probably what he meant, yes.

And he could've phrased it like that, or just better than how he did.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That's probably what he meant, yes.

And he could've phrased it like that, or just better than how he did.

He phrased it that way to rile people up. That's what his job is.

It's certainly working.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

It's certainly working.

I get it, but it makes him look smug, downplaying an existential threat and having a grasp on Apple like Steve Ballmer ca. 2001.

Intel's problem is complacency, and he just looks like more of the same.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

I get it, but it makes him look smug, downplaying an existential threat and having a grasp on Apple like Steve Ballmer ca. 2001.

I don't think anyone at Intel isn't aware that it's an existential threat. I think pointing out that the fact that the existential threat is coming from someone who doesn't even "do" processor design as a mainline product should be a wake-up call on the order of punching each of them straight in the face.

Of course none of what he says (or how he says it) matters for poo poo if he can't get the company out of its doldrums, but I don't think it's lost on many why Intel is getting a new CEO months after the M1 came out.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

It's certainly working.

Unfortunately it seems like it's riling up online hardware posters looking for any excuse to get offended more than employees in the company.

Hell, he said have to. And that's the existential crisis which he is outright stating. They have to make way better products than someone like Apple otherwise what is the point of any of it

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 16, 2021

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

WhyteRyce posted:

Unfortunately it seems like it's riling up online hardware posters looking for any excuse to get offended more than employees in the company.

Employees of the company should be offended, the past decade has been a giant gently caress up

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

wet_goods posted:

Employees of the company should be offended, the past decade has been a giant gently caress up

There are a lot of smart people still there. A lot. But a lot of the rot that helped contribute to the giant gently caress ups are still there and generally aren’t personally or professionally offended by stuff like this

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

WhyteRyce posted:

There are a lot of smart people still there. A lot. But a lot of the rot that helped contribute to the giant gently caress ups are still there and generally aren’t personally offended by stuff like this

Part of remaking the culture at intel is to face hard truths like this, what's missing from this equation is if Pat is willing to show the remaining good people that he is serious and firing the same poo poo heads that probably worked with him and drove the company into the ground. I brought this up before and people were up in arms about the potential for brain drain at top levels of the company but you gotta start somewhere and my suggestion is the top of TD. Mercifully Bob fired Murthy, it's a shame he didn't do it before driving Jim away.

Sohail would have still been running the place if he didn't get caught lying to the board, he should have been prosecuted

wet_goods fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 16, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's a tricky thing because brain drain did happen the last time they did mass firings. Yeah some people who should have been kicked out years ago got let go, but so did some actual good people because of politics. Other good people just decided to leave because they got mad friends got screwed or just didn't want to hang around in a depressing environment. Any mass firing is going to be tricky because all the rot is going to cover their own rear end and look out for their buddies. Pat was around long enough I hope he knows how to spot it or who the problematic actors are.

Also its funny hearing the higher ups are worried about brain drain when compensation is huge factor in that

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 16, 2021

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

WhyteRyce posted:

It's a tricky thing because brain drain did happen the last time they did mass firings. Yeah some people who should have been kicked out years ago got let go, but so did some actual good people because of politics. Other good people just decided to leave because they got mad friends got screwed or just didn't want to hang around in a depressing environment. Any mass firing is going to be tricky because all the rot is going to cover their own rear end and look out for their buddies. Pat was around long enough I hope he knows how to spot it or who the problematic actors are.

Yeah that's my hope too, an advantage to coming back to the company is that the same lovely people are mostly in the same positions of power, he should recognize at least some of them.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

DrDork posted:

I don't think anyone at Intel isn't aware that it's an existential threat.

Then why did they get into the situation they're in now? This was all predictable and telegraphed years in advance.

Also, reading this thread as someone who's not an Intel insider (what a great pun, heh, I have lots of their CPUs actually, but am not a company insider), the general attitude of this thread seems to be:

"Desktops? Pffft, who cares when there's the server market?"
"Server market share? Pffft, they have service contracts until 2080!"

Etc, etc, basically the Dick Jones school of project management:

"I had a guaranteed military sale with ED 209 - renovation program, spare parts for twenty-five years... Who cares if it worked or not?"

I don't get the impression that everyone at Intel is very aware of the situation.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pat is obviously being smug and dismissive of Apple because of what some people are saying on a dead forum

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Pat is obviously being smug and dismissive of Apple because of what some people are saying on a dead forum

You're really giving your utmost to dismiss everything I'm saying, great effort!

I remember reading in this thread that a lot of mighty insiders whose important opinions must not be dismissed are regulars here, so if posts are being made here that Intel has no problems after all and there's not a lot of disagreement with that, maybe I can be forgiven as taking that as just a little representative of the company.

Particularly if it just about 100% matches its actions.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

So, again, I didn't hear Pat's speech to the employees or his email or whatever. And everyone seems to be hammering on and interpreting The Verge article which mentions one whole line. They aren't even talking about the original Oregonian article which had a little more context.

I’m sorry I’m dismissive of your opinion but considering you and I weren’t in the employee meeting or knew what the whole statement was and are going off a clipped statement I think it’s really silly to treat any of our opinions of the CEO as all that worthwhile

quote:

“We have to deliver better products to the PC ecosystem than any possible thing that a lifestyle company in Cupertino” makes, Gelsinger told employees Thursday. That’s a derisive reference to Apple and the location of its corporate headquarters.

“We have to be that good, in the future,” Gelsinger added.

drat that smug Pat for saying they need to be better than that in the future

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 16, 2021

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

So, again, I didn't hear Pat's speech to the employees or his email or whatever. And everyone seems to be hammering on and interpreting The Verge article which mentions one whole line. They aren't even talking about the original Oregonian article which had a little more context.

drat that smug Pat for saying they need to be better than that in the future

Public Relations 101: Don't start off your new position with something that makes you look dumb, even if accurately quoted. (Referring to the "lifestyle company" quote, not the "good" one.)

I'm 100% sure he's a nice, intelligent person and very nuanced if you get to know him. Just needs to learn something about PR.

I wish him and Intel good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

I’m sorry I’m dismissive of your opinion but considering you and I weren’t in the employee meeting or knew what the whole statement was and are going off a clipped statement I think it’s really silly to treat any of our opinions of the CEO as all that worthwhile

Reacting to this later because you edited this into your post after mine:

With that kind of logic, nothing ever means anything, because who knows, maybe Hitler took everything back in the parts of his meetings that were never published.

Face it, the guy said something that makes him look smug / tone deaf /dorky to people who don't dig deep or give him the benefit of the doubt.