Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

GrandmaParty posted:

Spac crew? Did somebody say SPAC crew?

I YOLO’d 75% of my portfolio into FUSE warrants and 25% into commons a couple weeks ago and I’m up like 35% already, fingers crossed it’s BlockFi soon so I can take my 500% gains and start a few more NAV plays. :q:

That said, I sold my commons like a chump right before they took off this morning to FOMO into CCIV warrants because gently caress it. YOU GO SIDEWAYS ALL WEEK AND JUMP RIGHT WHEN I DECIDE TO MOVE ON? AND THEN CCIV DIPS? Take me back, baby. I promise I’ll stop the abusive behaviour.

Chad Sexington posted:

I just realized that, like a loving idiot, I've had IPOD, IPOF and SNPR units sitting there in my account unsplit. Went to have Schwab split them and they said it costs $40 flat fee for each split, plus it can take 1-4 weeks. Immediately closed the chat tab with a rep and transferred my account to Fidelity. Fuckers.

Thinking of changing up my SPAC strategy a bit. I think what I'm going to start doing is specifically targeting units of SPACs that are within ~30 days of unit split but still trading close to NAV. Then ride them through the split, wait until commons catch up to my unit cost basis and then hit eject on the commons and just hold the warrants. This strategy of course excepts meme stocks like the Chamath ones which I'd for sure want to ride until at least a target is named.

Speaking of meme stocks though, is anybody holding shares in the Shaq SPAC?

You read that post on /r/spacs too huh? I’m considering doing the exact same, it’s practically a no-brainer, but first I too am going to have to call TD and ask what the voluntary action cost and time basis to split units is.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Thoughts on the pre-deal spac etf SPCX? I have a hard time picking spac winners (are they all winners?) and this seems Ike someone doing at least a little bit of research for me for 1%. They have spread the fund across about 40 spacs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Baddog posted:

Thoughts on the pre-deal spac etf SPCX? I have a hard time picking spac winners (are they all winners?) and this seems Ike someone doing at least a little bit of research for me for 1%. They have spread the fund across about 40 spacs.

If you buy at / very very very close to NAV and don't pay for warrants, it's always a winner if you define winner as getting back your money if poo poo hits the fan but also realizing 0% gain/loss during the time your money sat in that SPAC.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

movax posted:

It's memeing hard, but I am more amazed at seeing QNX being mentioned as much as it is. It's a goddamned near 40 year old operating system. We used it all the time for telematics units in the late 2000s, and I guess it's riding along with the EV-wave / bubble now since QNX gets designed in by folks as it retains a functional safety certification making it very usable for ASIL-compliant applications like... ADAS systems. BB owns it now, so yes, technically, any time someone licenses QNX for their ECU controlling lane-keep assist, BB gets money.

It's a real short list for the automotive IC suppliers that are worth a drat + will continue (at least with the real big OEMs) to get designed into anything because they've been working with them for decades, and I think I have them all in my portfolio already. They just don't move as fast.

e: also having written all the above, I'm sitting on BB shares, BB calls for 2/5, 2/12 and Jan 2022 calls because gently caress it, I'm not sitting out of something like GME again. poo poo went up like 400% in 2 days.

e2: gently caress me, it's $10.45 AH? Did the FB settlement clear?

I hope I don't regret this, but I'm pulling some shares put of Fuse, Perspecta, AACQ, and GOEV to amass around $3k to put into BB calls and shares.

So congrats to anyone who holds onto the above stocks when they moon, you're welcome.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Handen posted:

I’m considering doing the exact same, it’s practically a no-brainer, but first I too am going to have to call TD and ask what the voluntary action cost and time basis to split units is.

$38, and anywhere from 2-7 days.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Baddog posted:

my thought is that this is the time for someone to troll wsb into believing it's a SPAC for SpaceX and not a real etf

just go all Q-conspiracy on them and say that's why it's actively managed

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Handen posted:

You read that post on /r/spacs too huh? I’m considering doing the exact same, it’s practically a no-brainer, but first I too am going to have to call TD and ask what the voluntary action cost and time basis to split units is.

Yuuuup. Don't have the leverage that guy has though.

As long as you're in under $11, the risk is pretty capped. I don't think it's that hard to get in at those levels, you just can't chase the popular names.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 15, 2021

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

I hope I don't regret this, but I'm pulling some shares put of Fuse, Perspecta, AACQ, and GOEV to amass around $3k to put into BB calls and shares.

So congrats to anyone who holds onto the above stocks when they moon, you're welcome.

I feel like there's only a few more days of moon-like BB growth but unlike GME, at least it's back to levels where it was just a bit over a year ago. I'll keep the 2022 leap and shares, sell the weekly calls tomorrow or next week I think.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Agronox posted:

$38, and anywhere from 2-7 days.

Oh poo poo, thanks! Is that for American accounts with TD Ameritrade, or in Canada with TD Direct Investing though?

Chad Sexington posted:

Yuuuup. Don't have the leverage that guy has though.

As long as you're in under $11, the risk is pretty capped. I don't think it's that hard to get in at those levels, you just can't chase the popular names.

I also lack similar initial leverage. I started with ~$10k about a month ago, which grew to ~$15k by last week. I restructured my portfolio around the same time, relegating ~$11k to sit parked in a single decently managed warrant until it pops ($FUSE.W), and leaving the other $4k for experimenting/FOMOing/long-shots, etc. I was above $20k for the first time this morning until I sold my $4k of FUSE commons before they rallied and shuffled it into CCIV warrants, screwing me out of ~$600 and keeping me just under $19k. Aftermarket looks promising though, could wake up to above $20k again.

I figure $10k-15k is a nice block to work with per SPAC, so when I hit the $25k range I'll be thinking about cashing out to fund two new plays.

Me and a buddy are getting into this at about the same time, with aggressive goals of reaching $100k and $50k respectively by end of year. He can't buy warrants through his broker but he can buy units and split them, then sell the commons. It's a bit of a disadvantage and I'm not sure why he doesn't switch brokers, but I suppose he could follow the advice of that reddit thread and make plays like that guy.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I’ve been caught bag holding CLOV for a while I think. Work and family stuff meant I wasn’t paying attention to the timings. I haven’t taken a bath from it but have erased my gains for the year so far lol. I should just go passive until things die down.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I'm getting out of most of my TLRY this morning. Been a surprisingly delightful ride, knock on wood

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I'm getting out of most of my TLRY this morning. Been a surprisingly delightful ride, knock on wood

Def gonna take some profits today depending on the pop, actually have some $10 calls I might exercise to migrate to a long-term position.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Yeah, I'm dumping 75%, and putting it into BB.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
BB and BBBY, lmao okay wsb im a believer now

cathy bought 500k of pltr so maybe its time to ride some calls there again

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

thats not candy posted:

cathy bought 500k of pltr so maybe its time to ride some calls there again

I'm signed up for ARK trade emails and saw that they bought a bunch last night, and I was prepared to go in, too, but I saw this news article being linked on WSB:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cdc-officials-urge-biden-team-to-dump-palantirs-covid-tracker

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

I'm signed up for ARK trade emails

How do you do this? Do they offer this, or is this from some 3rd party site?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

I think this is where I signed up: https://ark-funds.com/subscribe

They sent out a daily email with tickers that were bought and sold for their ETFs.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

:: nervously eyeing the sell button on my TLRY calls ::

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

I think this is where I signed up: https://ark-funds.com/subscribe

They sent out a daily email with tickers that were bought and sold for their ETFs.

Thanks, I signed up for the updates. I'm in ARKG, which has done really well for me. I'm a bit hesitant with individual biopharma/genetics stocks since they each increase or decrease based on trial data, so it's too much to watch for. For the active management by someone who knows what they're doing, though, ARKG is a good investment for me.

I'm really interested to see what they'll have in ARKX too.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Sand Monster posted:

I'm signed up for ARK trade emails and saw that they bought a bunch last night, and I was prepared to go in, too, but I saw this news article being linked on WSB:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cdc-officials-urge-biden-team-to-dump-palantirs-covid-tracker

hmm yeah. on the other hand, a system being crap just means the government or mic often doubles down though

pltr is a long hold for me but i dont have much in it

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Maybe a dumb question, but how do y'all handle taxes with all of this trading? Do you have to keep a spreadsheet to track each trade and the gain/loss? Report just year-end gain/loss?

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
cciv sell off is scary each time. bought my cciv $30 february covered calls back for less than a third of what i sold them for at least

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's why I don't gently caress with SPAC options.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Omne posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but how do y'all handle taxes with all of this trading? Do you have to keep a spreadsheet to track each trade and the gain/loss? Report just year-end gain/loss?

Some platforms can generate reports for you (mine does at least. DEGIRO, a European one) to help.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
TurboTax or whatever can connect to most brokerages, download the trades, and do the trade reporting for you.

Don’t just send a net profit number. I did that once and it took a bit of trouble to fix w the irs, since this was before cost basis reporting and all sales were reported as profit.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Lmao, loving BB options tanking hard. What the gently caress? Everyone who bought their options last week exiting?

Figures.

Should've sold just after open.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Sand Monster posted:

Cacafuego posted:

You guys should also check out https://www.cathiesark.com

It's a really cool site.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

FistEnergy posted:

Yeah that's why I don't gently caress with SPAC options.

they're incredibly volatile but ive had insane returns trading gik options and im still well up with cciv thanks to flipping the first day's chain. if cciv tanks though ill be scrambling to sell and definitely get burned a little

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexcutler247/status/1350100764371386373?s=19

It could be to announce a new important hire or a myriad other things, who knows, let's see

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Omne posted:

I only gently caress around in my Roth IRA, so no tax implications.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Omne posted:

I lose a little bit on each trade then don’t itemize.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Nothing like an out of nowhere -20% day (so far?) for a ticker on the last day of the option to scare me on options trading once again.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

orange sky posted:

It could be to announce a new important hire or a myriad other things, who knows, let's see

time to fly

glad i bought my covered calls back. that went from like 16.5 dip to over 19 in no time

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

My shares are ready

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
buddy we're going to the moon

20.68 and did it just halt?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

orange sky posted:

wow i got in early on this

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
lmao i should have bought more calls when they were cheap

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
i got hosed by qcln tho so it evens out

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

thats not candy posted:

time to fly

glad i bought my covered calls back. that went from like 16.5 dip to over 19 in no time

I feel like I'm aging a year per day with the CCIV volume and swings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

FistEnergy posted:

I feel like I'm aging a year per day with the CCIV volume and swings

im losing all my hair but ill be able to afford the finest plugs when this moons