Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FizFashizzle posted:

if i have a job interview where they just wanted to get me in as as soon as possible, i did a rotation there and they just want to show me the new office and introduce me to everyone....that's good, right?

Congrats on your new job Fiz, that's what that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

if i have a job interview where they just wanted to get me in as as soon as possible, i did a rotation there and they just want to show me the new office and introduce me to everyone....that's good, right?

yeah, they're trying to sell you

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My team usually uses those as a last step before an offer to make sure the candidate doesn’t set off someone’s “I can’t work with this jackass” alarm, which I think has only come up once in 7 years, so yeah, congrats!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

FizFashizzle posted:

I think I understand the question, and I regret to inform you you're a sc*b now, I'm so sorry.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Thaddius the Large posted:

My team usually uses those as a last step before an offer to make sure the candidate doesn’t set off someone’s “I can’t work with this jackass” alarm, which I think has only come up once in 7 years, so yeah, congrats!

Don't doxx me

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The rotation you did there was your job interview. Congrats!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This feels like a good time to bring up the fact that police unions often have a legal requirement to defend all police officers regardless of the nature of their civil or criminal offences. This includes fighting suspension or termination.

Maybe that shouldn't be the case?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Kinda premature but this might be the Year of the Job for a few of us!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Thaddius the Large posted:

From what I remember from HR these “culture fit” visits or short audition periods went by the wayside because they were opening employers up to discrimination suits. I can see why; for every actual adult workplace using them for their intended purpose, there’s a collection of mouth breathers that don’t want one of those working here

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Joey Freshwater posted:

Pestilence plaguing us, loved ones dying, wondering why food has forsaken us... I think last year was the year of Job tbh

Oh you mean like careers OK yeah then, goonspeed

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Joey Freshwater posted:

Seems to be the case! I have an interview today and with how the last two went it's probably another quick "let's make sure this guy isn't a dick before offering him the job" type interview.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Apropro, because it is following the Year Of Job (biblical).

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hot Diggity! posted:

Seems to be the case! I have an interview today and with how the last two went it's probably another quick "let's make sure this guy isn't a dick before offering him the job" type interview.

Nice, good luck. I have a 'follow up' with the recruiter after my final interview last week at 2:30 today. Hoping it's not just 'we need more time to make a decision'. I doubt they'd schedule (and then reschedule) a call to tell me they're not interested. I figure that would be a quick call/voicemail or email.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Eifert Posting posted:

This feels like a good time to bring up the fact that police unions often have a legal requirement to defend all police officers regardless of the nature of their civil or criminal offences. This includes fighting suspension or termination.

Maybe that shouldn't be the case?

This isn't surprising. Most unions will straight up defend their member if they are terminated or punished outside of the contract no matter the case. They have to since once they ignore a part of that contract, the precedent is set that it can be abused again.

The contract should absolutely have a clause for immediate suspension for accused criminal offenses, and termination for convictions though.

Police unions are poo poo for a hundred different reasons, but sticking to the contract isn't really one of them.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 15, 2021

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Ghostbusters the Mayor of New York listens to the Ghostbusters

Godzilla 2014 the admiral in charge listens to the scientists and doesn't go out of his way to antagonize Godzilla.

Also, lol President Camacho from Idiocracy as much as he is he's capable of it

I was going to say Godzilla 2014, though both movies also have the authority figure who treats someone the audience knows is right as a crank.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Unions are super important, I was in a union, several family members are unions, etc. But without that protection, historically and probably still today, you bet your rear end the decision in some shops about weather to protect a given member or not would have been based on their race, or possibly religion. Or age, or seniority, or in some places, whether or not they were likely to flip on the corrupt union bosses if the union didn't have their back.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm so annoyed at the thought of switching all my stuff to a new phone that I'm hesitating to switch from an S9 to an S21 for just the cost of the taxes and fees which is like $50, someone tell me I'm being an idiot and to jump on it

On the other hand the S9 does everything I really need it to :shrug:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

I'm so annoyed at the thought of switching all my stuff to a new phone that I'm hesitating to switch from an S9 to an S21 for just the cost of the taxes and fees which is like $50, someone tell me I'm being an idiot and to jump on it

Never had an android but surely they have a backup/restore system like iphone where it just images your phone and then copies it over?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

swickles posted:

I read a depressing interview with her a week or two ago where she said she can't take a break after Big Bang Theory because she knows her age and once she gets old enough the opportunities will dry up, and that if your not lined up for a job you may never get one again, especially as a woman. Like yeah, she could simply never work again, but imagine she wants to so she has to just do what comes next. Also, her sister is an actress and was on that show with her as well as voicing Batgirl on Harley Quinn, so I think part of it is also trying to helo launch her sister's career.

She seems like a cool, smart person and knows exactly how the business works and is maximizing her opportunities.
https://youtu.be/XPpsI8mWKmg

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah but it's generally a little janky and requires a lot of fiddling with afterwards

And then I have to get used to how the new phone works, and potentially have to deal with dumb poo poo like Bixby being added

e: The most annoying part of switching to the S9 was that the stupid Bixby button is right below the volume down button, but at least I was able to switch it to having to hit the button twice to launch it

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Intruder posted:

Yeah but it's generally a little janky and requires a lot of fiddling with afterwards

And then I have to get used to how the new phone works, and potentially have to deal with dumb poo poo like Bixby being added

Yeah it's a weird feeling. All your pictures and apps and everything are there, but some apps forget settings and you get a whole bunch of weird new notifications and poo poo.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

All you need is the Awful app anyway, it’s no big deal

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/15/trump-republicans-election-defeat-club-for-growth

Cool, cool, very cool

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Joey Freshwater posted:

God willing

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I was reminded of the folger’s brother sister commercial today.

Nearly a decade old.

Truly pioneers of mainstream incest.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The idea that the most vocal Trump supporters aren't your stereotypical trailer trash, but rather middle/upper-middle class people who benefit the most from low taxes + keeping the lesser classes down is something that's been gaining traction for a little while. I pimped this guy's work in the last thread but history podcaster Patrick Wyman has a good essay on this American Gentry.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Who could have possibly predicted this happening when they were asking people to upload photos of their driver's licence.

https://twitter.com/ContentedIndie/status/1349858264285147138?s=20

Edit: here's a link to the actual news story.

https://twitter.com/ContentedIndie/status/1349859957320130562?s=20

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

C-Euro posted:

The idea that the most vocal Trump supporters aren't your stereotypical trailer trash, but rather middle/upper-middle class people who benefit the most from low taxes + keeping the lesser classes down is something that's been gaining traction for a little while. I pimped this guy's work in the last thread but history podcaster Patrick Wyman has a good essay on this American Gentry.

Extremely funny when most everyone at the capital riot were middle/upper-middle class whites.

It's not toothless hillbillies, it's the rear end in a top hat versions of people just like us in this thread doing this poo poo.

Which is why i'm a bit sad I'm not in the office. My old supervisor was a huge right winger who was big into Pat Buchanan's Reform party and a complete Trump guy. Man, he almost definitely wanted to go to that so bad

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kalli posted:

Extremely funny when most everyone at the capital riot were middle/upper-middle class whites.

Yeah seeing who some of these seditionists are is opening a lot of people's eyes to that reality. Even on a personal level my uncle whose son is my QAnon cousin that I've mentioned a few times owns his own concrete crushing operation. No idea if my uncle is himself into QAnon though.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Intruder posted:

On the other hand the S9 does everything I really need it to :shrug:

I went from an S10+ to S20+ and it was completely seamless except for maybe getting a few individual apps set up. I really didn't need to upgrade either, but the camera is so much better and it's faster too which is a plus.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Nick Lutsko's whole gremlins deal is probably the stupidest thing I laugh at every time

https://twitter.com/OnCinemaHead/status/1350149798607917057

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Intruder posted:

e: The most annoying part of switching to the S9 was that the stupid Bixby button is right below the volume down button, but at least I was able to switch it to having to hit the button twice to launch it

The Bixby bullshit has guaranteed that when I do replace my S9+, it will be with a phone that does not have that garbage

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey can someone give me the gist of what's going on with Kyrie because all I'm seeing is like tertiary blowback stuff.

My basic understanding is he hosed off from the Nets for personal reasons, has been clubbing and on a DSA meeting (??), Jackie Mac had an old white lady moment at him, and now "drat Kyrie" is trending

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

He'll be back tomorrow from quarantine apparently but is an enigma

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You know what, I just saw this, and I'm fine with whatever's going on with Kyrie. The world is a broken and alien place.

https://twitter.com/MaskedDancerFOX/status/1349748173535911943

If you don't remember who Elizabeth Smart is:

quote:

Elizabeth Ann Smart was kidnapped at age fourteen on June 5, 2002, by Brian David Mitchell from her home in the Federal Heights neighborhood of Salt Lake City, Utah, United States. She was held captive by Mitchell and his wife, Wanda Barzee, on the outskirts of Salt Lake City, and later, in San Diego County, California. Her captivity lasted approximately nine months before she was discovered in Sandy, Utah, approximately 18 miles (29 km) from her home.

Smart was abducted from her home at knifepoint by Mitchell, while her younger sister, Mary Katherine, pretended to be asleep. Mitchell, who claimed to be a religious preacher, held Smart at a camp in the woods with Barzee, where he repeatedly raped her. During her captivity, Smart accompanied her captors in public on various occasions and went largely unrecognized by those she came in contact with.

Since her abduction, Smart has gone on to become an advocate for missing persons and victims of sexual assault.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Kalli posted:

Hey can someone give me the gist of what's going on with Kyrie because all I'm seeing is like tertiary blowback stuff.

My basic understanding is he hosed off from the Nets for personal reasons, has been clubbing and on a DSA meeting (??), Jackie Mac had an old white lady moment at him, and now "drat Kyrie" is trending

No one who's knows anything for sure is saying anything. It's all just gossip and guessing right now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kalli posted:

You know what, I just saw this, and I'm fine with whatever's going on with Kyrie. The world is a broken and alien place.

https://twitter.com/MaskedDancerFOX/status/1349748173535911943

If you don't remember who Elizabeth Smart is:

Oh god.

I had a brain fart and at first thought they'd got Amanda Knox on there, which probably would have been worse.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I saw the Elizabeth Smart thing and I think my brain is bleeding

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/NeerajKA/status/1350157374485647360?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I mean that's 100% drunk food but barely that god drat