Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

lightpole posted:

Think the first priority is to just get money out and into peoples hands instead of sitting around arguing with Republicans. Its not 2k but it will get out and help. It looked like there was also a lot of other aid in that bill that would help as well I hope. If they catch poo poo for this I'm fine with it because they are trying to do the right thing and support the bottom.

This is still doing exactly what they said they would do, the 1400 was tacked on to the last bill to total 2k. They have brought that 1400 and added in a bunch more. What exactly are people prioritizing, just taking a very superficial and literal interpretation of their call for 2k or passing a bill that tops up the total from the last month to 2k, adding in a bunch of other support and hopefully getting the support required to pass it? Of course it should be larger but I think holding out for more will do more damage then just getting this support out.

Because they literally won GA by saying 2k checks for everyone! And now a lot of folks feel like they were bamboozled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Because they literally won GA by saying 2k checks for everyone! And now a lot of folks feel like they were bamboozled.

Also they aren't even in power yet so we gotta wait to see what sort of waterdown COVID releif plan they will actually pass.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nessus posted:

I know it was probably someone doing a bit, but I wonder...

Pulling off the mask and it's old man TobleroneTriangle

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1350026066119843840

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Biden is spending a whole lot of money to get the stink out of the White House.

quote:

After three COVID-19 breakouts within the White House in recent months, the federal government is sparing no expense to clean and disinfect the building before President-elect Biden moves in Jan. 20.

According to government contracts reviewed by ABC News, more than $200,000 has been spent for increased White House janitorial and housekeeping work, including $127,249 on "2021 Inaugural Cleaning" and another $44,038 on "Inaugural carpet cleaning." There was $29,523 spent for "Inaugural curtains cleaning."

While the White House is always deep-cleaned during the transition between presidents, that work is usually handled by White House staff, including butlers, ushers and maintenance crews. Contracting out additional cleaning services is unprecedented in modern times, according to Kate Brower Andersen, presidential historian and former White House reporter.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ahead-inauguration-government-contracts-reveal-white-house-deep/story?id=75253472

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In the first week of November, I posed this question to a doctor I know:

“Suppose you were moving into a fifty-five-thousand-square-foot neoclassical mansion. There had been multiple outbreaks of COVID among the previous tenants. What measures would you expect to ensure your safety? Cost is not an object.”

She replied “Send in a team to clean the bathrooms and kitchens. Let it sit a few days.”

I’m with Biden on this one.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
So I’m in class the other day and we got assigned Ta-Nehisi Coates and James Baldwin to read. And I mean, man if I had the hard copy in hand instead of a PDF I’d have kissed the page. Do you know what is the part of this whole insurrection thing that amuses me, albeit in a cold and sick way? Those “patriots” who were so flabbergasted that the blue line turned on them, the system that suddenly stopped looking at them as “good-ole boys who ain’t do nuthin wrong?” They forgot something critical in their hyper entitled and racist assessment of the world.

There are three America’s in my view, that I’ll certainly be writing about for that A. The first ones is the America for the primary ethnicity, you know wypipo. The second is the America for everyone who was or was meant to be merchandise. The third one is the America for those who are powerful.

They thought the first and the third Americas was theirs by birth. They rose up against the third and were shocked that there was pushback. How are you gonna roll up on the Third America’s representatives in Congress with zip ties and rifles and poo poo and not expect payback?

Eugenics and race science is absolute bullshit, but if it was still a thing, I’d be able to write a paper that starts off with “In this paper, I will show how the American white man is the dumbest creature on God’s green earth. Utilizing..........”

St00pid rear end!

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Speaking of dumb white men

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Hey, whatever happened to Jacob Wohl?

Yeah him and Burkman were seen walking around the Capitol before poo poo kicked off and that's the last I heard of them.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Duzzy Funlop posted:

German Federal government is seriously discussing (i.e. government statements have already been issued, which generally happens as an early-warning) shutting down public transportation and long-distance travel for individual states with high infection rates.
Considering how hard everyone loves to nibble on the big ol' economy-Schwanz, that's actually a huge indicator of how shitlessly-scared our politicians are of the two new mutations that have found their way to Germany now.

Speaking of new mutations, what's the US policy for incoming travelers? Mandatory tests are already happening, I assume, but are people tested for the UK/RSA-strain already? Because over here, only 0,5% of all administered tests check for the new mutations, and the extrapolated infection rate is pretty alarming.

I think they're treating the new strains like the old one, and hoping it's covered by the vaccine. from what I've read it looks like it is, but I don't know if it's too early to tell or not.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As Nero Danced posted:

I think they're treating the new strains like the old one, and hoping it's covered by the vaccine. from what I've read it looks like it is, but I don't know if it's too early to tell or not.

Literally everything I've seen so far about new strains is that the vaccine works to provide immunity against them as well.

I'm not saying that it's 100% certain to be true, but if a new strain was especially bad on that front we'd know pretty quickly.

A proper virologist would know more than me here but iirc the way that the coronaviruses are structured and replicate makes them a little less likely to undergo the big antigen changes like influenza A virus does which means that vaccines are more likely to not need frequent updates like the flu shots do.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nathan Bedford Forrests' corpse is gonna move.

https://wreg.com/news/nathan-bedford-forrests-remains-to-be-moved/

Good on Memphis for finally getting something done about that old piece of poo poo.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

TheWeedNumber posted:

Speaking of dumb white men

The only people democrats hate working with more than republicans is other democrats. My hopes of a productive 2-4 years are rapidly going downhill.

e:vvv I was referring to congressional gridlock. Democrats have the majority but are still going to water down everything in pursuit of bipartisan appeal. Minimum wage, justice system reform, DC and Puerto Rico statehood, legal weed, tax code reform, it'll all get neutered because of decorum and because they can't agree on poo poo.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 15, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

As Nero Danced posted:

The only people democrats hate working with more than republicans is other democrats. My hopes of a productive 2-4 years are rapidly going downhill.

That’s because people are apathetic to participating in democracy. It’s not something you should do only every 2/4 years. If we all just sit around and watch it happen then we don’t deserve anything anyway.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

As Nero Danced posted:

e:vvv I was referring to congressional gridlock. Democrats have the majority but are still going to water down everything in pursuit of bipartisan appeal. Minimum wage, justice system reform, DC and Puerto Rico statehood, legal weed, tax code reform, it'll all get neutered because of decorum and because they can't agree on poo poo.

Don't forget that as the Republicans get more extreme, center right politicians and voters move to the democratic party, pulling it right at the same time activists try to pull it left.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DuffelBlog/status/1350089762112061443?s=20

Duffel Blog continues to be very good

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

As Nero Danced posted:

Well there is still the legislative filibuster to contend with, so yeah, anything that requires new legislation is going to require 10+ republican votes. The reality is that having both houses and the presidency isn't cart blanche, and even a supermajority places you at the whims of your least cooperative member.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You can moonshot something once a year via reconciliation

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

This is splitting some pretty fine hairs. They are trying to get 2000 to everyone and with 1400 that will be 2k. Just because it doesn't come as a single check doesn't mean they aren't filling their promise. This also doesn't acknowledge the reality that Republicans blocked the 1400 from going out with the 600 the first time around and they will need some GOP support to get it passed.

Youre making a stupid argument about an extremely fine technicality that I don't think was the original intent behind the promise, one that they are trying to fulfill. Under this argument they lied because some people got direct deposits and not a check. If you want to argue for more money why not just do that, it makes more sense.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You can moonshot something once a year via reconciliation

No. I believe it has to be budget neutral to stay permanent, thus rosy predictions for GDP growth under tax cuts for the rich that never materialized and sunsetting tax cuts for the middle class that did.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

idgaf you always ask for more

now i want $3k checks

gently caress you pay me

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

That’s pretty funny. I’m glad this weird art school chick introduced me to this place.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

idgaf you always ask for more

now i want $3k checks

gently caress you pay me

I mean, this is a legit argument I can get behind just don't come at me with some disingenuous bullshit.

We should have been getting 1500-2k/month since like last June

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Here's Kamala Harris as of two days ago

https://twitter.com/kamalaharris/status/1349177374047428608?s=21

At no point was anyone saying $1400. And now we're already talking about this $1400 happening in April, four months after the $600 under an entirely different presidency. This is straight up gaslighting. You might be able to convince yourself that it was always a $1400 check, but you're all fooling yourself if you think ordinary people outside the dem information sphere will see it that way.

Edit

https://twitter.com/prettycritical/status/1350102903231492097?s=21

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 15, 2021

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

lightpole posted:

This is splitting some pretty fine hairs. They are trying to get 2000 to everyone and with 1400 that will be 2k. Just because it doesn't come as a single check doesn't mean they aren't filling their promise. This also doesn't acknowledge the reality that Republicans blocked the 1400 from going out with the 600 the first time around and they will need some GOP support to get it passed.

Youre making a stupid argument about an extremely fine technicality that I don't think was the original intent behind the promise, one that they are trying to fulfill. Under this argument they lied because some people got direct deposits and not a check. If you want to argue for more money why not just do that, it makes more sense.

One side has a much better propaganda machine to exploit this.

They are making it super easy to write the attack pieces about broken promises by not *starting* at 2k and making the appearance to fight down to $1400.

The georgia fight was for $2k. The republican voters that stayed home stayed because of 2k. Not $1400 but if you add in that check you haven't gotten yet it's technically 2k. It's $600 extra bucks. Who gives a poo poo. Put it in there and make someone object.

These kind of technocratic explanations keep loving the democrats because no one cares or wants to listen to a long thought out "well actually" lesson.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'd also like to point out, as anyone whose followed the negotiation/interview thread will tell you.

NEVER start from the compromise position, because chances are the dude on the other side of the table is gonna counter offer with another compromise.

If the dems wanna play stupid semantics games let 2000 be the start and negotiate from there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TheWeedNumber posted:

That’s pretty funny. I’m glad this weird art school chick introduced me to this place.

Welcome aboard.

Don’t think we got to warn you about joining up forum user TheWeedNumber.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

lightpole posted:

I mean, this is a legit argument I can get behind just don't come at me with some disingenuous bullshit.

I think the crazy thing about the pandemic is that nobody can hide from the fact that 2k a month is the absolute minimum amount of money people need to survive, and we are still nowhere close to getting a UBI or even increasing things like disability to that level.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t remember a single person who promised $2k checks ever saying “$1400.” Ever. At all. Not one single time. In ANY context.

But it’s definitely our fault for just not understanding what was promised to us.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Laranzu posted:

One side has a much better propaganda machine yo exploit this.

These kind of technocratic explanations keep loving the democrats because no one cares or wants to listen to a long thought out "well actually" lesson.

Instead we get to sit around WELL TECHNICALLYing ourselves.

That one side put us in this situation. Dems need to move money asap and McConnell and the GOP will need a big change of heart for that to happen. They are trying to get support where it is needed after a year of Republicans sitting on their loving hands and ignoring any support. They need to keep pushing the call for checks going out to ordinary people and put pressure on the Republicans to vote for it since even if they got 2k its not enough and more money will have to go out.

Dems had a House package passed with 2k in it for months.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Defenestrategy posted:

I'd also like to point out, as anyone whose followed the negotiation/interview thread will tell you.

NEVER start from the compromise position, because chances are the dude on the other side of the table is gonna counter offer with another compromise.

If the dems wanna play stupid semantics games let 2000 be the start and negotiate from there.

start at 5k

oh wait, that would give the filthy poors used to scrounging by on 12k a year enough money that they can tell their minimum wage employers to get hosed. can't have that.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Laranzu posted:

We need an automated process that sends multiple calls, emails, tweets, and paper letters to the DNC saying this every day

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

New users on SA? The world really is coming apart.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Coasterphreak posted:

oh wait, that would give the filthy poors used to scrounging by on 12k a year enough money that they can tell their minimum wage employers to get hosed. can't have that.

it's exactly this.

our system doesn't function if you can't threaten workers with homelessness. of course we could pay people to stay home, and to not be thrown out of them, and of course that would be the sensible and humane thing to do even if we weren't in a pandemic and staring down the barrel of climate change. but we won't, because the people who make decisions for us have staked their psychology on believing that the system which has rewarded them should be protected from being forced to dial down the "children thrown into kiln" rate a smidge.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anarcho-Bidenism posted:

New users on SA? The world really is coming apart.

Since 2010 every new account is either an alt or someones parachute account. The amount of unique people on SA has remained constant.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

lightpole posted:

Hey shitbird it wasn't a stupid argument. If you look at literally any social media right now the prevailing opinion is that they promised 2k checks and are breaking that promise. Give me a loving break "splitting hairs", it's the read that literally thousands of people have, not just me. gently caress you.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Defenestrategy posted:

Since 2010 every new account is either an alt or someones parachute account. The amount of unique people on SA has remained constant.

Goon diet ensures stable replacement rate.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t remember a single person who promised $2k checks ever saying “$1400.” Ever. At all. Not one single time. In ANY context.

But it’s definitely our fault for just not understanding what was promised to us.

I mean, that was the context of the original 2K check position and legislation, raising the proposed $600 stimulus to $2000. It was only three weeks ago! (Even if it feels like a lifetime after, well, everything).

https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/status/1341568309955874818?s=20

Granted, the context has changed somewhat in the time since as people have already started receiving the $600 stimulus, but it's not like there was some bait and switch by the Dems to give people smaller checks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I personally always expected the amount would be fourteen hundred, but that doesn’t make it a good idea for the Democrats to go for that.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

lightpole posted:

No. I believe it has to be budget neutral to stay permanent, thus rosy predictions for GDP growth under tax cuts for the rich that never materialized and sunsetting tax cuts for the middle class that did.

if youre just going to keep being incredibly wrong about things can you spare us and do it in another forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

if youre just going to keep being incredibly wrong about things can you spare us and do it in another forum

He's completely right but also completely wrong because there is zero way to message this effectively as a positive and not a lovely broken promise by using math. America hates math.