Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Raikyn posted:

Tui in the backyard while I was sitting down having a beer

tui by Marc, on Flickr

He's a beauty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Polo-Rican posted:

As a northeasterner, I want to see the magpies more than the bald eagle!!

Well, out on a snowy day, they're pretty much all I saw.

Eating Snow by B. B., on Flickr

Baited Magpie by B. B., on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
First time out with my 5d4. Forgot to set ISO so the first two of these were at 12800. Probably normal shooting for Sony havers but this was impressive for me. It's not that there's no noise (plus I tried to remove some in Lightroom) but I don't think I could do this with my 7D2.

Gyuto white throat no logo-0076 on Flickr

Gyuto JUnco no logo-0143 on Flickr

Gyuto Downy no logo-0111 on Flickr

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lovely.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
waxwings in flight logo-0231 on Flickr

golden light kite no logo-0317 on Flickr

And got to see one of my nesting owls again (assuming it's one of the same ones from the spring). really dark for this one

Low light owl no logo-0415 on Flickr

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
Here's a Robin I saw out the garden earlier this week

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Another Tui

Tui portrait by Marc, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Awesome. What a cool bird ^^

Fernandez Moonrise Pigeon-0604 on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Magpie by B. B., on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hermit Thrush Wildcat-9447 on Flickr

White-throated Sparrow-9493 on Flickr

White-throated Sparrow-9498 on Flickr

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Great Horned Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

sleepy, leave me alone, hoohoo

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Long-tailed Tit by Aves Lux, on Flickr

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Appreciate all the photos and the tips here. I'm a total noob to photography in general, but I'm getting into it just as another way to appreciate wildlife. Just normal northeastern backyard birds so far on a borrowed 60D with a 70-300mm f/5.6 lens... still trying to figure out settings, let alone composition.

(bro, a little personal space?)

(that is a very chubby Northern Mockingbird shot from his best angle, if you can not tell)

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I was running in my neighborhood the other day and spotted this Rough-Legged Hawk. Came back with my camera and it was gone, but suddenly reappeared when I looked away for a minute.

20210107-IMG_0650.jpg by Josh, on Flickr

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Oak Titmouse waiting for a spot at my feeder to open up.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Spent yesterday trying to track down what I initially thought was a huge hawk, but ended up being this guy. I got really lucky, he perched on a tree near me and sat very photogenically for a while

Which photo do people prefer: the above, or the below? The shadows were shifting quite a bit and the image tone kept changing. Not sure if I prefer the higher contrast and smoothness of the above, or the sharper details of the below.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 11, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Spent yesterday trying to track down what I initially thought was a huge hawk, but ended up being this guy. I got really lucky, he perched on a tree near me and sat very photogenically for a while

Which photo do people prefer: the above, or the below? The shadows were shifting quite a bit and the image tone kept changing. Not sure if I prefer the higher contrast and smoothness of the above, or the sharper details of the below.

Top one, the extra light looks a lot better on its head.

Jerm324 posted:

Oak Titmouse waiting for a spot at my feeder to open up.

Love this little buddy too

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

I like the lower one. The sun on the head is nice, but it looks kind of stumpy without the beak in profile. The profile shot shows a baldy's best angle.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I agree with Finger Prince, I'd pick the profile with the massive eagle shnozz showing. The light and shadows are challenging but at the same time I haven't seen many eagle photos lit like this so it's a pretty unique photo.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
I would agree, the profile pic is the better.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
This is not a great shot but I've been trying to get this Steller's Jay for a couple months now and am excited to have gotten it mostly in focus. This fucker comes into my yard a couple times a week and it's loud as hell but it has eluded my camera until now.

Next up I need to hunt down the woodpecker.

tk fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 15, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tk posted:

This is not a great shot but I've been trying to get this Steller's Jay for a couple months now and am excited to have gotten it mostly in focus. This fucker comes into my yard a couple times a week and it's loud as hell but it has eluded my camera until now.

I have so many of the drat things (and woodpeckers) I've stopped shooting them. But, they're the most nervous birds I have in the yard. I have to be setup and have them come to me. If I move at all, they're flee.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I mostly have hummingbirds and crows, so the jays coming around occasionally are a treat. I hear woodpeckers even more rarely and have only seen one once.

The hummingbird fights are great but haven’t had good luck capturing anything.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Hummingbirds will get used to you quick at their feeder, and then just won't care about you. Three or four days in a row is usually enough.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

tk posted:

Do you own any sort of hide/blind? They're a good long-term investment.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I love this

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nice watermark

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Tui , late afternoon

Tui at dusk by Marc, on Flickr

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I have been really getting into bird photography during the pandemic and I am really proud of this little house finch. He was singing up an absolute storm and didn't stop even when I was pretty much directly under him.

Raikyn posted:

Tui , late afternoon

Tui at dusk by Marc, on Flickr

GOSH that is beautiful. We have a ton of grackles and starlings around here and every once in a while a really beautiful/iridescent one will land in some perfect lighting like that and it is such a treat.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Been quite a while since I've posted some birbs. I rented an R6 and holy poo poo this thing owns. All of these are jpgs straight OOC since I'm out of town for work on a laptop not set up for full processing. The only thing I did was some cropping for composition. There's definitely lots of stuff I'd like to do to punch these up a bit but not bad at all with in camera settings. I'm a little bummed about the goldeneye and the bufflehead pics because the light was dogshit this morning at the river but still think its cool this camera was able to do as well as it did considering I'm at ISO 2000.

Kestrel

Kestrel

Bufflehead

Common Merganser (female)

Barrow's Goldeneye

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Been quite a while since I've posted some birbs. I rented an R6 and holy poo poo this thing owns. All of these are jpgs straight OOC since I'm out of town for work on a laptop not set up for full processing. The only thing I did was some cropping for composition. There's definitely lots of stuff I'd like to do to punch these up a bit but not bad at all with in camera settings. I'm a little bummed about the goldeneye and the bufflehead pics because the light was dogshit this morning at the river but still think its cool this camera was able to do as well as it did considering I'm at ISO 2000.

Kestrel

Kestrel

Bufflehead

Common Merganser (female)

Barrow's Goldeneye

These look great. What lens were you using? I've totally wanted to go mirrorless, but the 20 MP on the R6 seems a bit weak. My APS-C T7i has 24 MP. The R5 is a dream camera but at $4000 it's a bit out of reach right now

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Jerm324 posted:

These look great. What lens were you using? I've totally wanted to go mirrorless, but the 20 MP on the R6 seems a bit weak. My APS-C T7i has 24 MP. The R5 is a dream camera but at $4000 it's a bit out of reach right now

Thanks! I was using a 500mm f4 mk I with a 1.4x teleconverter. We were just talking about this in the Canon thread but my opinion is that 20MP full frame is more than enough for wildlife/action photography, for most use cases and especially for web. The 1DXmIII is a 20MP FF and its the gold standard for wildlife photography. Just to give you an idea, some of those photos I posted were heavy crops. The first kestrel pic is cropped maybe 80-85%, mostly to see what I could get away with and it looks great to me. More resolution is always better, all else being equal, but I don't see 20MP FF as limiting at all unless you're interested in very large prints. Right now, the R5 seems like the ideal mirrorless wildlife camera because it has all of the features of the R6 with even higher resolution, but jfc is it expensive. I'm gonna lol when they announce the price tag of the R1.

This R6 has convinced me that mirrorless has finally turned the corner and equaled or surpassed DSLRs for wildlife and action. I figured it would sooner or later and I'm glad to see it. Here's a couple more shots from today:

Bufflehead - Kind of a boring shot but I like buffleheads, they're very cute ducks. I wish I could have had a lower POV but this was about as low as I can get at this spot without actually getting in the water

Barrow's and Common Goldeneyes - This is not normally a shot I would keep because only one of them is (barely) in focus. I wanted to show this off for the R6 autofocus that was able to find the closest bird's eye in less than a second as they were smoking towards me at full speed. I was only able to fire off three frames before they were past me. I'm pretty impressed and I definitely would not have gotten this with my 7D2.

Pygmy Nuthatch - This is a huge crop but, again, impressed with the autofocus that found the bird's eye even with all of the distractions.

Pygmy Nuthatches - Just hanging out, being friends

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Parked right next to this Ring-billed Thayer's Gull. Was probably expecting some fries or something.

Thayer's Gull by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Thayer's Gull close by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Edit: Misidentified a Gull

-CHA fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 24, 2021

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

-CHA posted:

Parked right next to this Ring-billed Gull. Was probably expecting some fries or something.

Ring-billed Gull by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Ring-billed Gull close by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Take any opinion I have about gull ID with a HUGE grain of salt but I’m almost certain this is not ring-billed. I’m much less certain about what it is but maybe Thayer’s. The light eye, light mantle , and heavy bill with both red and black are throwing me.

E: maybe Herring?

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Take any opinion I have about gull ID with a HUGE grain of salt but I’m almost certain this is not ring-billed. I’m much less certain about what it is but maybe Thayer’s. The light eye, light mantle , and heavy bill with both red and black are throwing me.

E: maybe Herring?

Could the black spot be some sort of transitional form between 3rd winter and adult herring?