Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bape Culture posted:

Cars are loving stupid

I used to think no, but after dealing with my wife commuting 100 miles/day and racking up the miles on a luxury car, yeah, cars are really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

kronix posted:

There's an incredibly lucrative market for selling old-people their childhood back. My buddy sold a first press copy of the White Album to some idiot for over $1000 a few years back.

Nostalgia is an inescapable and often expensive drug. It is often a very fun kind and probably the best recreational kind. Picture me last summer thinking how good it would be to have a proper Super Soaker water gun fight with my kids only to find that they are:
No longer available
All similar products on the market are crap.

So I found these which I have not bought...but probably will this summer: https://www.spyraone.com/?locale=en

Bape Culture posted:

Cars are loving stupid

:haibrower:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Once cars get over $valueicanafford I just don't understand the point. :v:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Nostalgia is an inescapable and often expensive drug. It is often a very fun kind and probably the best recreational kind. Picture me last summer thinking how good it would be to have a proper Super Soaker water gun fight with my kids only to find that they are:
No longer available
All similar products on the market are crap.

So I found these which I have not bought...but probably will this summer: https://www.spyraone.com/?locale=en

:haibrower:

1. Those are awesome.
2. Why is everything so god damned expensive these days??

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you aint kiddin

i know you can't shoot a 22 at a person but you can buy a 10/22 for that amount of money what the hell

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Once cars get over $valueicanafford I just don't understand the point. :v:

1. Those are awesome.
2. Why is everything so god damned expensive these days??

At least vintage super soakers aren't as stupidily priced as vintage E30 M3s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-...vUAAOSwH9JfsaP3

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Why get one of those when you can easily spend twice as much on a vintage water gun?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Entertech-...VwAAOSwNNFforAy

Bonus: Cops will definitely shoot you if you have this, AND it shoots water up to 3' for over 11 minutes on just 4 AA batteries!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lol I just looked at the prices of those water guns after reading the reactions and thinking “how bad could it be?”

Im guessing they’re so expensive due to German Engineering.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

NitroSpazzz posted:

The S14 is seriously crap at low revs but get it into proper operating range and it's an amazing engine. That said there's a lot of other cars I'd consider for even 50k before buying a E30 M3.

There's a reason a plug n play m54 is probably in my e30's future assuming it ever rolls again. The 4cyl options for those cars were always positively gutless and my superETA is definitely showing its age and heft even if its cool as hell. Maybe I'll put it into a Mastercraft one day...

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
If any of you have E46 Floormats embroidered with the M3 logo on them BMW no longer makes them and they're now quite sought after item on the forums. Guess I was lucky to pick up a new set a month or two ago. Now I want to take them out of the car.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Bape Culture posted:

Cars are loving stupid

Thread title pls, it's due for a change also fits

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Why couldn't you give me this BMW? Every time I see an F81 conversion I immediately acknowledge that I'd own one if they'd been real.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

fknlo posted:

Why couldn't you give me this BMW? Every time I see an F81 conversion I immediately acknowledge that I'd own one if they'd been real.

BMW bring a G81 stateside would be an immediate purchase from me.

I think it'd be worth it just to tell my in-laws, "Yeah with kids and all I figured it was time for a wagon"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
BMW could take the Porsche route of subsidizing bonkers cars, but here we are

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
BMW tries to keep their product line streamlined. They barely have room as is for the X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Z4, i3, iXwhatever, i8, M2, M3, M4, M5, M4 convertible, M8, M8 convertible, M8 Gran Coupe, X5M, X6M, X3M, and X4M. A wagon model would make it too cluttered and confusing.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

i own every Bionicle posted:

BMW tries to keep their product line streamlined. They barely have room as is for the X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Z4, i3, iXwhatever, i8, M2, M3, M4, M5, M4 convertible, M8, M8 convertible, M8 Gran Coupe, X5M, X6M, X3M, and X4M. A wagon model would make it too cluttered and confusing.

Don't forget the Gran Coupe models, and are they still making GT models?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The regular E-class succumbed to black plastic cladding for MY 2021. RIP wagons.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can't believe that someone at BMW thought that turning a coupe into a sedan when they already have a sedan was a good idea.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

BMW Thread: BMW is loving stupid

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The regular E-class succumbed to black plastic cladding for MY 2021. RIP wagons.

I think you can pay extra for body matched paint like with audi.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

Yeah but it's still higher.

-Owner of the last of the true Mercedes wagons. :smug:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah but it's still higher.

-Owner of the last of the true Mercedes wagons. :smug:

Can you buy air ride and keep it in sport mode (or whatever lowers the suspension setting)?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

I was poking around and didn't see it but it may be restricted to specific colors, also like Audi.

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.
So, back in August I bought a CPO 2016 M235i. It's been great, but a couple days ago the windsheild washers stopped working. I've been trying to find the fuse for it, but the only diagram I found was for the fuse panel in the trunk which doesn't seem to contain the fuse I'm looking for. (next to the picture of the washer there is a picture of a car on a lift?) The fuse panel located in the engine compartment doesn't have a diagram at all, and I can't seem to find one anywhere online. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

Can you buy air ride and keep it in sport mode (or whatever lowers the suspension setting)?

I'm not sure how it works on the new lifted one, but maybe? The wagon we bought just has the regular steel suspension, although has the sport package so it's slightly lower. I didn't want to go out of my way to add complexity to a car that we're putting serious miles on.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 14, 2021

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Jackie the Mick posted:

So, back in August I bought a CPO 2016 M235i. It's been great, but a couple days ago the windsheild washers stopped working. I've been trying to find the fuse for it, but the only diagram I found was for the fuse panel in the trunk which doesn't seem to contain the fuse I'm looking for. (next to the picture of the washer there is a picture of a car on a lift?) The fuse panel located in the engine compartment doesn't have a diagram at all, and I can't seem to find one anywhere online. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

If it's like the F30 sedan, there's another fuse box in the passenger footwell, right hand side below/in front of the door hinges. That's where the horn fuse is, anyway. It's under the trim and a bitch to get to. Is it still under CPO? $50 might be worth it to have them gently caress around with the trim?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They stopped putting the fuse box behind the glove box?

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003

Alarbus posted:

If it's like the F30 sedan, there's another fuse box in the passenger footwell, right hand side below/in front of the door hinges. That's where the horn fuse is, anyway. It's under the trim and a bitch to get to. Is it still under CPO? $50 might be worth it to have them gently caress around with the trim?

It should be still covered under CPO (until 2022, I believe), but the nearest dealership is over an hour away, so I was hoping I could just check out the easy stuff before having to make that drive.

Cojawfee posted:

They stopped putting the fuse box behind the glove box?

I did not see any clips to access one in the glove box. There is one in the trunk near the battery and one in the engine compartment near the washer fluid resevoir. Irritatingly, the only one that has any sort of diagram is the one by the battery, and it is just a slip of paper tucked into it that has icons for everything. There is no diagram at all for the engine side fuses, and no mention at all in the owners manual for one behind a kick panel.

Jackie the Mick fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 14, 2021

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Sweet, sweet euro unobtainium https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5BSGzlY7hY

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7RPHjGtBuc

That oil cooler is 100% going to split open the first time I go over a speed bump.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

/Points at 3x4" wire grid,

"This will protect the radiator from gravel"

Man, if you have 4x4" stones coming at you horizontally at knee level, you have bigger problems than a dented radiator

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7RPHjGtBuc

That oil cooler is 100% going to split open the first time I go over a speed bump.

It’s pretty much in the same spot on the f80. There have been a few that I’ve seen get killed when road debris gets it and the car doesn’t get shut down immediately. The aftermarket ones look more robust for the most part?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

It’s pretty much in the same spot on the f80. There have been a few that I’ve seen get killed when road debris gets it and the car doesn’t get shut down immediately. The aftermarket ones look more robust for the most part?

I'm shocked modern cars don't come with an "Oil pressure dropped, cut spark" feature in the ECU.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Alpina tuned *adds 8 horse power*

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Jackie the Mick posted:

It should be still covered under CPO (until 2022, I believe), but the nearest dealership is over an hour away, so I was hoping I could just check out the easy stuff before having to make that drive.

I did not see any clips to access one in the glove box. There is one in the trunk near the battery and one in the engine compartment near the washer fluid resevoir. Irritatingly, the only one that has any sort of diagram is the one by the battery, and it is just a slip of paper tucked into it that has icons for everything. There is no diagram at all for the engine side fuses, and no mention at all in the owners manual for one behind a kick panel.

TIS confirms the washer pump plugs in to the FEM which is behind that passenger footwell kick panel.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

i own every Bionicle posted:

BMW tries to keep their product line streamlined. They barely have room as is for the X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Z4, i3, iXwhatever, i8, M2, M3, M4, M5, M4 convertible, M8, M8 convertible, M8 Gran Coupe, X5M, X6M, X3M, and X4M. A wagon model would make it too cluttered and confusing.

Ahem...

:lol:

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003

SlapActionJackson posted:

TIS confirms the washer pump plugs in to the FEM which is behind that passenger footwell kick panel.

Hopefully I will be able to figure out where it is and which fuse to pull. I've been googling like crazy and I am dumbfounded by how impossible it is to find any diagrams for these things.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Jackie the Mick posted:

Hopefully I will be able to figure out where it is and which fuse to pull. I've been googling like crazy and I am dumbfounded by how impossible it is to find any diagrams for these things.

BMW is actively playing whack-a-mole with people posting TIS data on line because they want to sell access for $30/day. If this is car you'll repair yourself eventually, you'll want :filez:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://sodo-moto.com/listings/bmw-alpina-b6-touring-1/

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Lol

They have gotten rid of the Gran Touring things but still

Lmao

Seriously wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

BMW is actively playing whack-a-mole with people posting TIS data on line because they want to sell access for $30/day. If this is car you'll repair yourself eventually, you'll want :filez:

I managed to land a newt is login before they locked everyone out. If anyone needs the invite link, we could get a chain going...

or is that :filez: ?