Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why the SKS instead of Vepr-136?

when there is an sks in a game i use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Slumpy posted:

Shame the iron sight of the SKS in this game takes up 80% of the screen. I would use it so much more if that was not so loving annoying.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

Shame the iron sight of the SKS in this game takes up 80% of the screen. I would use it so much more if that was not so loving annoying.

i use the sks as a CQB weapon like 90% of the time and just pointfire tbh.

Like, I've killed RPK users in close combat literally 2 matches in a row, they aint even using garbage ammo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Slumpy posted:

I can respect that.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

giZm posted:

Holy crap I just tried that and it feels like cheating. Outside is horrible, it's only wind, but inside everything is extremely clear. I know this is just automatic equalizer adjustments but man... thanks for the headsup, never tried it inside.

Yeah I've tried to create a profile that tones down the outside wind noises and tree brushing - but absolutely no luck there.

EFT really needs to get a better sound system with full surround sound support given how much of the game revolves around just listening for poo poo, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

So don't use virtual surround sound, it doesn't work right at all in EFT given that the game itself is stereo only. I've tried it and it makes sound origin actually harder to pinpoint.

With all that said....none of that has helped me kill a PMC - just not be killed by them...because I suck at killing PMCs.

Everyone has epic tales of killing groups solo, my only time when I managed to kill 2 pmc was when they killed 2 other guys in my group and didn't notice me, so I shotgunned them in the back as they were looting my buddies.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 15, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

eft already does have """surround sound""" support w the binaural audio, thats effectively how you create accurate audio positioning for headphones. it just needs a bit more work, but its generally pretty good at this point, seems like they fixed the omnidirectional grenades and front/back positional audio is way better than before they moved to the new audio engine. been having a lot more consistency with hearing people above or below now too, idk if thats actually been changed or its just from getting used to everything. its pretty easily one of the better fps sound systems, going back to stuff like pubg after has really shown up how much better eft is with audio now.

the virtual surround stuff not working isnt because eft is stereo, virtual surround works best on stuff that is mixed purely stereo and isnt trying to do any extensive audio placement or head/ear modelling, and even then its pretty bad. it breaks super hard on eft because theyre implementing binaural audio.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Stux posted:

it breaks super hard on eft because theyre implementing binaural audio.

That was a lot of text before that to say the same thing I said differently. You really really like to argue about everything audio huh.....

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you said it breaks because eft is stereo only. virutal surround is designed to work on stereo sources, it breaks because eft is using binaural audio which is already doing what virtual surround attempts to do, but more accurately as its designed around the specific game rather than trying to be a one size fits all emulation and because theyre casting audio within the game to work with this system. if you think this is saying the same thing differently you are perhaps having trouble understanding what words mean and thats not really my issue.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

My understanding is they have turned off steam audio which was implementing the binaural audio in Tarkov and they haven't turned it back on since then:

https://www.facebook.com/escapefrom...66445550316417/

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I have never heard of Steam audio before. I guess it's nice that there's at least a competitor to fmod out there.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Malefitz posted:

My understanding is they have turned off steam audio which was implementing the binaural audio in Tarkov and they haven't turned it back on since then:

https://www.facebook.com/escapefrom...66445550316417/

their own sound system does it too, justt not as well. thats why virtual surround has never worked properly and always made the audio completely inaccurate.

edit: that does explain why grenades arent sounding like theyre coming from every direction anymore tho lmao

Stux fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 15, 2021

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

FileNotFound posted:

EFT really needs to get a better sound system with full surround sound support
Tarky is on Unity, isn't it? Been a fan of Realspace3D for a while, but I'm not sure if it's not just VR only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3eOuqAmLAA

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Even if they turned it off, what they have now worked better than surround sound. I can tell where people are still. Based on where an explosion is I can generally tell where it happened based on how loud it is. Everything can be improved obviously, but it still works alright.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the SKS is my go to budget gun too. Slap a mount on it and whatever sight you want, grab a couple 20rd magazines with BP ammo and go to it. It's a decent gun that all told, SKS, mount, sight, mags and ammo can run you about 120k, which is a fair price for a good gun. At least early on until you have access to lvl 4 traders.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 15, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i actually havnt used an sks this wipe yet, i have the quest reward one with the nice stock all ready to go but havnt felt a reason to take it out bcos im addicted to kedrs and pp-19s

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Stux posted:

i actually havnt used an sks this wipe yet, i have the quest reward one with the nice stock all ready to go but havnt felt a reason to take it out bcos im addicted to kedrs and pp-19s

PP-19 is so good. Cheap, gets the job done, great recoil control.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

And everyone thinks it’s trash and it’s also not very valuable so while people might rip a couple attachments off the thing they’ll rarely take the whole gun (and if they do it’ll prob get tossed for a “nicer” looted gun).

I’m also convinced a lot of people don’t know you can still fold the gun down to 2x2 by removing the butt pad and any dovetail mounted sight. Of course, even if they do know, it’s a cumbersome thing to do when you’re in the open and exposed.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

IFAKs now heal heavy bleeds for 210 use points.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And everyone thinks it’s trash and it’s also not very valuable so while people might rip a couple attachments off the thing they’ll rarely take the whole gun (and if they do it’ll prob get tossed for a “nicer” looted gun).

I’m also convinced a lot of people don’t know you can still fold the gun down to 2x2 by removing the butt pad and any dovetail mounted sight. Of course, even if they do know, it’s a cumbersome thing to do when you’re in the open and exposed.

I find that when I throw the wood handle on it instead of a fancy front grip people tend to not take it. Not like many people take it anyway, but still.

Also, it looks like a mini-ak with that grip which is :krad:.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That is a great idea... Its not like it’s recoil is so massive you need a super great foregrip anyways.

That does mean no laser sight though... maybe use that one dovetail mount that has a side mount in addition to the sight mount?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I also like the pp 19 because its the first semi decent gun with a silencer you can get. It's a low caliber bullet, but you can still get the job done. You can usually find them for around 90k and you just buy a few extra magazines and load it with AP ammo, or if you really want, 7N31 or RIP. I imagine going RIP and leg meta would be pretty good.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ShowTime posted:

I also like the pp 19 because its the first semi decent gun with a silencer you can get. It's a low caliber bullet, but you can still get the job done. You can usually find them for around 90k and you just buy a few extra magazines and load it with AP ammo, or if you really want, 7N31 or RIP. I imagine going RIP and leg meta would be pretty good.

I've had luck with Quakemaker in it. But I used AP 6.3 the most because I didn't grind out to get the 7n. Good stuff.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

You can probably use a PP-19 with a butt pad and a cobra to 90% usability, which is probably closer to 50k.

But really you should join UMP gang and shoot a better, cheaper bullet than AP 6.3 for a somehow even cheaper gun off flea market

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm new to this game. Is there a trick to not getting spawn camped or is it just a matter of getting good and winning that fight?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
If background noise is a problem, try Krisp Noise Suppression that is native to Discord.

Bunch of nerds use well tuned voice activation and you can’t hear anything besides their sultry voice.

Voice activation is garbage because people set it up without regard for others. If you tune the levels to your speech, use Krisp, and have a push-to-mute for sneezes and such, it is indistinguishable from PTT.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ShowTime posted:

im going to be honest w u if im using a pp19 im actually just going to run the gun entirely stock with pst and blast people in the face and/or legs and it works shockingly well to the point that when i reset my account late into a wipe i was doing this and it still worked. although atm ill still aim chest if they look lightly geared, still plenty of people running around with armor itll just rip through anyway.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if i want a nice smg i go mpx even though i know it doesnt shred like the others, i still like it a lot.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

wedgie deliverer posted:

I'm new to this game. Is there a trick to not getting spawn camped or is it just a matter of getting good and winning that fight?

You've got to be ready to fight or you've got to move away from your spawn immediately, which can be very simple on some maps and a huge problem on others. Tons of players will push towards other nearby spawns to try and thin the crowd. If you want to avoid a fight find a bush or some other place where you can hide for the first five minutes or so.

This will be extremely difficult at first but as you get more experience and more map knowledge you'll find you get killed right out the gate a lot less, though it'll still happen sometimes. It doesn't matter how long you've been playing, EVERYONE will occasionally have a raid where they die in the first 2 minutes without even seeing who killed them.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

DrPop posted:

IFAKs now heal heavy bleeds for 210 use points.

This is a straight up downgrade because of how hotkeyed meds work.

And a 40k silenced pp-19 has been my go-to budget gun too, it's good just put a few 7n31 at the top and use your ap 6.3 below.

Ixtlilton fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 16, 2021

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I mostly just love the pre-made guns that are accessible early, because mods are expensive and I love being able to just grab and go. I want a decent gun without having to figure out all the mods or buy them at super inflated flea market prices. I try and keep my loadouts at around 300k right now, because that's just a scav run worth of loot.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You could always make presets. There is an option to build a saved preset from scratch with only a couple clips, IIRC, it'll buy whatever is needed from the traders or the fleamarket I think (And it'll show you how much it costs before you hit the final "ok").

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Every time I try to buy stuff for a preset it never finds any of it on the flea market, it's very annoying.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bussamove posted:

Every time I try to buy stuff for a preset it never finds any of it on the flea market, it's very annoying.

By default it only looks for dealer stock, and the filter is usually hidden behind the three-dot expanded options thing:

Make sure that you remove that "Owner type Traders" filter and you should get the whole market.

EDIT: There are some things that just barely show up on the market though, the railed forends for FALs generally have really low availability, and rail sections are rare and/or wildly, massively overpriced if you can't buy straight from the dealer.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 16, 2021

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Okay yeah that tracks for Tarkov, thanks!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I do love presets, but so many good items are locked behind 3+ loyalty traders that I just prefer pre-mades for simplicity. Some mods are 3x their trader cost, which I can't justify spending.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Mm yes Nikita it is cool and good that i've been shot in the eyes from over 100m 2 games in a row from a scav with a shotgun on it's first shot

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
is it even an AI scav if you don’t get 1 shot by buckshot to the face or limbs

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Just Chamber posted:

Mm yes Nikita it is cool and good that i've been shot in the eyes from over 100m 2 games in a row from a scav with a shotgun on it's first shot

my question is, how are you repeatedly exposing yourself to scavs from 100+m for long enough to get killed by them?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Just Chamber posted:

pmc go home

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Tarkov is the scav's home, they make the rules!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I got two words for ya "kepka swajeely"