Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"Slumming it" is way pushing it. "Knives Out" wasn't all that long ago.

Besides, who isn't slumming it right now? in this economy. It's not like anything important happened last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Aphrodite posted:

He's already slumming it in Adam McKay comedies, he'll go back eventually.

"Slumming in Adam McKay comedies"

:allears:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adam McKay is incredible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He has written exactly 1 good comedy.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Wild guess but I'm thinking one future MCU movie here might be Quantumania. We're getting Kang in that which could mean all sorts of timeline shenanigans. Could find out he did a lot in that timeline to prep for Thanos and see a weird timeline long enough to be cool and maybe set up Maestro for later.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Captain America was my favorite Avenger and I was bummed that Endgame was his swansong before he ever got to meet Daredevil or Wolverine, so I'm happy to have him back in any capacity :shobon:

I guess my favorite is Thor now. I really liked "Let's kill him properly this time."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SonicRulez posted:

Captain America was my favorite Avenger and I was bummed that Endgame was his swansong before he ever got to meet Daredevil or Wolverine, so I'm happy to have him back in any capacity :shobon:

I guess my favorite is Thor now. I really liked "Let's kill him properly this time."

I really can’t wait for more Thor stuff, which is surprising. His first movie was ok, the second was the most forgettable piece of media I may have ever seen, the first two avengers movies gave him some moments but didn’t really know what to do with him and then BAM, Ragnarok comes out and Thor is great now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I too am looking forward to JaneThor and Valkyrie

Oh you meant Odinson

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SonicRulez posted:

Cap will always be my favorite, but Scott and Thor are close seconds. I think TF&TWS has a real chance of being Sam's big breakthrough too, since he'll no longer just be Cap's support.

I want to like Dr Strange so much, but Cumberbatch is just kind of okay and I keep wanting him to go full Dr Orpheus with it. He does still have one of the best MCU costumes, however.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Maybe he's actually coming back for a Human Torch cameo in Doctor Strange 2. I'd almost want to see that more than a brief Cap return.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm kind of operating under the assumption that MCU contracts say you gotta deny you're in it until they announce it because haven't we had like 2-4 recent casting things where the actor denied it and then it turned out true?

A friend and I were talking about this and he said off the top of his head this happened with Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Rudd, Jonathan Majors, and Tatiana Maslany.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wanna say Brie Larson and Hailee Steinfield denied it too?

It just seems like the routine now. The news breaks, the actor either stays silent or denies presumably because they have to, internet internets, and then months later its confirmed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This happened in 2019 with the Spider-Man leaving the MCU thing. They eventually figured out another deal.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

I wanna say Brie Larson and Hailee Steinfield denied it too?

It just seems like the routine now. The news breaks, the actor either stays silent or denies presumably because they have to, internet internets, and then months later its confirmed.

I know Steinfeld did. Part of it was when Renner was in full swing of being terrible so people assumed she backed out but it was probably just contract negotiations and a spot in her schedule, etc.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They better give the Hawkeye show a proper theme song and have Hailee sing it in character.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

They better give the Hawkeye show a proper theme song and have Hailee sing it in character.

It's going to be the armor hotdogs song but with Hawkeye instead of hotdogs and Renner will sing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's going to be the armor hotdogs song but with Hawkeye instead of hotdogs and Renner will sing.

You joke, but he could easily have gotten them to use his terrible album for music on the show.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

You joke, but he could easily have gotten them to use his terrible album for music on the show.

I had completely memory holed his foray into music, and now you do this to me

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

Check out Vin Diesels single while you're at it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SlimGoodbody posted:

It wasn't half bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOKkl35wIvw

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
So uh, WandaVision is pretty drat great so far. I would 100% watch Bettany and Olsen just do an actual Dick Van Dyke/Bewitched revival. I never cared about either character in any of the movies, but I’m real interested in where this show goes now.

So Wanda’s definitely being held in some kind of SWORD facility and at least a few of the “sitcom” characters are SWORD agents, yeah? We already know one of them just from casting, but I’m sure there are others. Dottie seems too obvious, my money’s on her being some kind of AI or representation of the program/device doing all this to Wanda. I know nothing about the comic version of SWORD though, so maybe I’m way off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So uh, WandaVision is pretty drat great so far. I would 100% watch Bettany and Olsen just do an actual Dick Van Dyke/Bewitched revival. I never cared about either character in any of the movies, but I’m real interested in where this show goes now.

So Wanda’s definitely being held in some kind of SWORD facility and at least a few of the “sitcom” characters are SWORD agents, yeah? We already know one of them just from casting, but I’m sure there are others. Dottie seems too obvious, my money’s on her being some kind of AI or representation of the program/device doing all this to Wanda. I know nothing about the comic version of SWORD though, so maybe I’m way off.

I don't think anything's definite yet. Dottie definitely seemed to be interrogating Wanda, as did the Harts. When the boss is choking and his wife is saying "stop" to Wanda I interpreted that as Wanda choking him in the real world. So it seems like she's being held prisoner and being interrogated. But that Ep 2 ending of someone "getting in" and Wanda deciding to ignore it seems like she might be in control so its entirely possible she's just had some kind of break and whoever those other people are are trying to help. We also don't really know who they are. And also "Geraldine" didn't seem quite sure of where she was. So she could be trapped to or could be there trying to find/help/figure out what's going on. SHIELD/SWORD is easy but those ads name drop Strucker/Hydra and Stark. And of course there's "Agnes" and if the rumors of who she might actually be hold true that doesn't seem to fit with the SWORD theory.

So my theory right now is Wanda sought out Agatha Harkness, she sold her out to Hydra or some similar organization, adn SWORD/SHIELD is trying to help her. But its all super in flux right now and that's fun. The fake sitcoms are great and Bettany is hilarious.

edit: Also I almost always prefer to binge a series and only watching this this morning to avoid spoilers. But in hindsight I actually really am glad I did because I think the faux sitcom element is a ton of fun and more interesting to wonder what we get next week than the actual plot/mystery. I'm sure we'll get there and I'm sure I'll be interested but I'm not rushing because I love the gimmick.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 15, 2021

Veotax
May 16, 2006

My theory so far is Is Wanda probably transformed a small town or something into sitcom hell and SWORD is investigating and under the impression that someone is doing it to Wanda. The inhabitants of the town seem to show awareness a couple of times that Wanda is doing it (Mrs Heart telling Wanda to "stop it" and the lady from the meeting before the glass breaks)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I want AIM to be involved so bad since the guy climbing out of the sewer was in a literal beekeepers outfit

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Soonmot posted:

I want AIM to be involved so bad since the guy climbing out of the sewer was in a literal beekeepers outfit

I saw the bees and my brain immediately went "is that Swarm?!"

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1350192570052321280

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

So Black Spectre or Bushman?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wait Oscar Isaac is in Moon Knight? How had I not heard that? My hype level just went from “high” to “medical emergency”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wait Oscar Isaac is in Moon Knight? How had I not heard that? My hype level just went from “high” to “medical emergency”

Oscar Isaac, Ethan Hawke, and Moorhead & Benson will be directing.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oscar Isaac, Ethan Hawke, and Moorhead & Benson will be directing.

and the sister from Ramy is one of the female leads

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Marvel is bringing out the loving huge guns on these Disney+ castings. Tatiana Maslany, Oscar Isaac, Hailee Steinfeld. I'm insanely excited.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

mikeraskol posted:

Marvel is bringing out the loving huge guns on these Disney+ castings. Tatiana Maslany, Oscar Isaac, Hailee Steinfeld. I'm insanely excited.

I think they know the MCU from here on will never really be able to match or exceed Endgame, so the future will be a 60:40 split between Movies/TV and the latter won’t just be an afterthought or cross-promotion fodder anymore. And you need big names to anchor the tv side now, especially since it’s all on a relatively new streaming service. RDJ, Evans, and ScarJo are done, and the remaining Chrises and Ruffalo probably only have one or two more appearances left in them. Take the remaining Avengers plus Cap Marvel and use these new shows to refill your roster for the inevitable team-up event flick somewhere down the line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really hope they're loosely adapting the Lemire run. May Calamawy as the psych doctor Emmet from that run would be good. Set in an insane asylum right off the bat and really go for the wild stuff later in the run.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Latest rumor is Charlie Cox has filmed stuff as Daredevil in Spider - man 3.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Hemsworth said he doesn't plan on leaving the MCU. He seems to genuinely enjoy it, and having Taika come on probably helped that a bunch. Plus even if he gets out of shape, it's canon now!

And yeah, the Cox thing has been rumored so many times that I have to think it's real.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

Latest rumor is Charlie Cox has filmed stuff as Daredevil in Spider - man 3.
This makes me happy. The DD stuff was by far the best of what Marvel on Netflix did.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

This makes me happy. The DD stuff was by far the best of what Marvel on Netflix did.

The first 4 eps of Daredevil S2 were fantastic, Cox and Bernthal nailed the Daredevil/Punisher dynamic perfectly.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
go Ray go
https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1350233808675741696?s=19

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Whatever is going on in Wandavision, it definitely has something to do with her kids, right? My guess might've been "she lost the children and went crazy, made a pocket universe where everything is perfect for the children." But "ladies be crazy am i rite" would be an absurdly bad look in 2021, and I can't believe it would actually make it to air, so who knows

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WandaVision is really good. I was a little shocked at just how hard they went in on the sitcom pastiche but by the end of the second episode I was all in. It helps that it's really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Boxman posted:

Whatever is going on in Wandavision, it definitely has something to do with her kids, right? My guess might've been "she lost the children and went crazy, made a pocket universe where everything is perfect for the children." But "ladies be crazy am i rite" would be an absurdly bad look in 2021, and I can't believe it would actually make it to air, so who knows

More likely she's mentally creating them in whatever dimensions she's made herself. Vision is entirely mechanical and probably wasn't up to non-metaphysical insemination.