Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean, that was the context of the original 2K check position and legislation, raising the proposed $600 stimulus to $2000. It was only three weeks ago! (Even if it feels like a lifetime after, well, everything).

https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/status/1341568309955874818?s=20

Granted, the context has changed somewhat in the time since as people have already started receiving the $600 stimulus, but it's not like there was some bait and switch by the Dems to give people smaller checks.

Because the messaging has been poo poo like this:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1348430675238678528?s=19

That's why there's a PR problem. Not because people are being willfully ignorant as some people here are saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

LingcodKilla posted:

Welcome aboard.

Don’t think we got to warn you about joining up forum user TheWeedNumber.

It wasn’t all bad. Pays for school and beats joining the Army I guess. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean, that was the context of the original 2K check position and legislation, raising the proposed $600 stimulus to $2000. It was only three weeks ago! (Even if it feels like a lifetime after, well, everything).

https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/status/1341568309955874818?s=20

Granted, the context has changed somewhat in the time since as people have already started receiving the $600 stimulus, but it's not like there was some bait and switch by the Dems to give people smaller checks.

That's how I understood it as well. But how I understood it doesn't really matter. If the messaging was understood as "2,000 check" instead of "we'll top up the 600 to 2,000" (and - in some cases apparently - clearly "you'll get a 2,000 check come next year" or whatever), then you hosed up on messaging and that's kinda a bullet you need to bite in that case.
:shrug:

But how about we don't tear ourselves to shreds about it? Be excellent to each other, and maybe we can make this year at least feel less poo poo than the last one?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Maybe sometime in the next few months the democrats will realize that if they just give people money they’ll win elections?

then the donors will stop giving them kickbacks and leaky campaign funds for them and their buddies and they’ll learn the wrong lesson, rather than eating the rich

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My big question. Why not have just made it 2k? So a bunch of dudes got 600 Trumpbux why does a need to square the money exist? Once you inevitably have to compromise with the poo poo wings of congress and you end up at 1400 then you go "We tried getting you guys paid but these assholes wanted to square the money, vote them out, put more of our guys on the bench" .

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

Hey shitlibs the fact that Biden is planning on cheaping out on checks to the people who need it the most while keeping the money faucet open to small business owners (who were over represented at the coup by the way) and multi billion dollar corporations is some bullshit and scolding people for getting mad about the bait and switch is some peak bootlicking.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

The democrats are not your friends and it’s okay to hold them accountable and demand more.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Dominion's getting results.

https://twitter.com/BGrueskin/status/1350124656653688841?s=19

A good point was raised elsewhere - if Donnie starts a network, he's gonna get his rear end sued into the ground.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
After only 600 buckaroos went out, I expected only 1400 if Biden got in.

But throwing around 2k all the time, 2k this, 2k that, 2k 2k 2k 2k, put it in people's heads. It gave people HOPE of another 2 grand in their pockets. People who desperately need that poo poo and more.

And you gently caress with people's hope, even a little, and they feel betrayed. 1400 bucks in your wallet is gonna ease that betrayal, but it won't soon be forgotten.

It's stupid not to go for 2k to hold true the spirit of your promise if not the letter, to let people know you've got their back after they voted for you, and most importantly just to help motherfuckers out.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Especially when you’re literally bukakke-ing stack of cash on folks with more money than they will ever need.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hegel Exercises posted:

Hey shitlibs the fact that Biden is planning on cheaping out on checks to the people who need it the most while keeping the money faucet open to small business owners (who were over represented at the coup by the way) and multi billion dollar corporations is some bullshit and scolding people for getting mad about the bait and switch is some peak bootlicking.

Why do you talk like this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hegel Exercises posted:

Especially when you’re literally bukakke-ing stack of cash on folks with more money than they will ever need.

He's still on a better path than anyone could've expected him to be, especially with the teasing of revoking tipped minimum wage, disabled minimum wage, etc.

The alternative was another 4 years of Trump gutting and wrecking any semblance of functionality of the Federal Government while pushing for more and more despotic Police action.

So you know what, I'll take the loving wins, thanks. And there's a REAL possibility GND will pass now with the Senate tied, and we can ACTUALLY do stuff without McConnell graveyarding everything

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Grip it and rip it posted:

Why do you post like this?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If they gave corporations $600m and then said “no, we need to give corporations $2bn” then they would give corporations $2.6bn total and you can’t convince me otherwise.

Stop letting these loving people walk all over us.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

He's still on a better path than anyone could've expected him to be, especially with the teasing of revoking tipped minimum wage, disabled minimum wage, etc.

I will say this if he gets a federal minimum wage hike and gets rid of the tipped minimum wage, this will have been a far better presidency and congress than I gave either credit for.

It's just kinda poo poo that it doesn't matter if they do alright, because Joe and congress have to be the best government in the history of this country or else it won't mean poo poo if the republicans take back the senate in '22 and/or the presidency in '24 and start rolling back anything this admin got.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Defenestrategy posted:

I will say this if he gets a federal minimum wage hike and gets rid of the tipped minimum wage, this will have been a far better presidency and congress than I gave either credit for.

It's just kinda poo poo that it doesn't matter if they do alright, because Joe and congress have to be the best government in the history of this country or else it won't mean poo poo if the republicans take back the senate in '22 and/or the presidency in '24 and start rolling back anything this admin got.

What? Changing things like the minimum wage and other conditions for low wage earners will absolutely mean a lot, even if they lose a house of congress in 2022. Rolling back these kinds of advances is incredibly unpopular. Getting the minimum wage kicked up is the definition of lasing progress. No, it doesn't come close to solving everything, but it is absolutely an important step in the right direction that has little likelihood of being rolled back.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I felt like this was kinda grifty, so I looked who got the giant contract. The company is Didlake, a non-profit dedicated to helping disabled people work.

I'm ok with this kind of grift.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Defenestrategy posted:

My big question. Why not have just made it 2k? So a bunch of dudes got 600 Trumpbux why does a need to square the money exist? Once you inevitably have to compromise with the poo poo wings of congress and you end up at 1400 then you go "We tried getting you guys paid but these assholes wanted to square the money, vote them out, put more of our guys on the bench" .

McConnell had like a 600b bill and it was brought up to 900b. Biden is starting at 1.9 trillion with a lot of that focused on good programs. Do people actually expect that 1400 or 2000 or 1.9 trillion to make it through 2021 or something? They will have to ask for more money and we all know the deficit matters now.

I have no idea why Dems are following the strategy and messaging they are but the bill as shown looks to be a huge positive at the surface level.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 15, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
By the way, the administration completely hosed the states again.

https://twitter.com/isaacstanbecker/status/1350097183698259971?s=19

Mostly a messaging failure, but it ain't great when states don't get the doses they expected because some idiot is being an idiot. Also explains why Biden is jettisoning the "Operation Warp Speed" name.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

lightpole posted:

I have no idea why Dems are following the strategy and messaging they are but the bill as shown looks to be a huge positive at the surface level.

The problem isn't what he's proposing, some of this stuff is real great. The problem is the messaging is obviously hosed and if warnock gets tossed out for not delivering on his stump speeches for having to "well achtually..." his opponent next year and suddenly the D's aint passing anything again.

it is absolutely an important step in the right direction that has little likelihood of being rolled back.

The republicans are actually good at slicing up legislation they want to get rid of with out de jure rolling it back. Yea, getting rid of the ACA as a whole was a clown show, but through executive orders, legislation, and court rulings they paired it back significantly from what it was when it was passed. I'm not an expert in law or legislation, but if I wanted to take a stab of rolling back the minimum wage without actually doing that I'd start with seeing how I could make it easier for business' to declare certain employees as 1099 under the pretext of business freeduhms or something like that.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 15, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

By the way, the administration completely hosed the states again.

https://twitter.com/isaacstanbecker/status/1350097183698259971?s=19

Mostly a messaging failure, but it ain't great when states don't get the doses they expected because some idiot is being an idiot. Also explains why Biden is jettisoning the "Operation Warp Speed" name.

What’s the new name?

Actually I was kind of wondering, does anyone know the name for the overall security operation at the Capital? Usually you hear about one from press releases, but I haven’t heard anything yet. Not that it really matters, just morbid curiosity.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Defenestrategy posted:

This will get passed and then the economy will finally crash with the new minimum wage taking a lot of the blame. The republicans will run and win on eliminating minimum wage entirely and the democrats will compromise with a $4.75/hour minimum wage.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/1350114889080201224?s=21

Oh cool we can expect redneck mortar fire soon.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Defenestrategy posted:

The problem isn't what he's proposing, some of this stuff is real great. The problem is the messaging is obviously hosed and if warnock gets tossed out for not delivering on his stump speeches and having to "well achtually..." his opponent he's gonna get thrown out next year and suddenly the D's aint passing anything again.

The republicans are actually good at slicing up legislation they want to get rid of with out de jure rolling it back. Yea, getting rid of the ACA as a whole was a clown show, but through executive orders, legislation, and court rulings they paired it back significantly from what it was when it was passed. I'm not an expert in law or legislation, but if I wanted to take a stab of rolling back the minimum wage without actually doing that I'd start with seeing how I could make it easier for business' to declare certain employees as 1099 under the pretext of business freeduhms or something like that.

That package is doing the right thing after a year of sitting on thumbs. If people don't want to look through it at even a surface level and vote Dems out in 2022 then I dont think putting out a straight bill of just 2000 to everyone (that Republicans already blocked) without any of the other stuff will save Warnock or anyone else. 50 Dems does not get this bill passed, they have to find Republican votes.

The same thing happened with Obamacare which has been shown to be a good thing and has started us on a path to universal healthcare.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
The biggest problem I see with this package is extending the eviction moratorium until September 2021. Right now New York City has 1.1 Billion in unpaid rent, that has to eventually be dealt with. Not every landlord is a super rich oligarch, most are regular people who mortgaged a property to maybe get some retirement income, now a lot of those people are on the brink of foreclosure. The whole situation is a mess, both sides are to blame.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

What’s the new name?

Actually I was kind of wondering, does anyone know the name for the overall security operation at the Capital? Usually you hear about one from press releases, but I haven’t heard anything yet. Not that it really matters, just morbid curiosity.

They’d do well not to name it at all but if they do I’m sure it’ll be something nice and inoffensive like “alabaster shield.”

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

faddypaddy posted:

Not every landlord is a super rich oligarch, most are regular people who mortgaged a property to maybe get some retirement income, now a lot of those people are on the brink of foreclosure. The whole situation is a mess, both sides are to blame.

Ts and Ps for the poor landlords, won't someone think of the people exacerbating the issue? They deserve extra rent income!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

All this because people couldn't handle the fact that their pathetic redneck lives were so empty that they put all their love in a despot who, in the end, actually didn't have a plan at all to actually overturn the election.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/parlertakes/status/1350088543243104256

Someone made an interactive map of videos and images taken during the coup attempt.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

How are small landlords exacerbating the issue?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

faddypaddy posted:

The biggest problem I see with this package is extending the eviction moratorium until September 2021. Right now New York City has 1.1 Billion in unpaid rent, that has to eventually be dealt with. Not every landlord is a super rich oligarch, most are regular people who mortgaged a property to maybe get some retirement income, now a lot of those people are on the brink of foreclosure. The whole situation is a mess, both sides are to blame.

when is biden going to do something to help the poor landlord that bought property with the banks money and is paying it back with the renters money

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Because you people are morons who don’t deserve effort.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Hegel Exercises posted:

Then why post

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

I don’t know interrupting the smug circle jerk is funny to me.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

PookBear posted:

when is biden going to do something to help the poor landlord that bought property with the banks money and is paying it back with the renters money

Mass foreclosures and evictions will eventually have to come without a plan. When it does property values, which is where most Americans have a majority of their net worth will drop and there will be a huge repeat of the 2008 financial crisis. There is a major transfer of wealth taking place over the last year, and that will speed it up. The policies proposed aren't going to help people come out of poverty it will put more people in. The focus really needs to be on providing aid to those who need it, the people who can't pay rent need it. $2000 isn't going to do it. Neither is $400 extra in unemployment because there has already been $500 most of the year yet 1.1 billion in one city has gone unpaid. A good relief plan doesn't just print money and hand it out, it finds and addresses core problems.

brains
May 12, 2004

lightpole posted:

That package is doing the right thing after a year of sitting on thumbs. If people don't want to look through it at even a surface level and vote Dems out in 2022 then I dont think putting out a straight bill of just 2000 to everyone (that Republicans already blocked) without any of the other stuff will save Warnock or anyone else. 50 Dems does not get this bill passed, they have to find Republican votes.

The same thing happened with Obamacare which has been shown to be a good thing and has started us on a path to universal healthcare.

you have to admit this is a 100% messaging failure. no one in the electorate is going to "well, actually" this. it's extremely simple: people were promised $2,000, and they are not getting it. no one needs to watch the news, or follow politics, or have any understanding whatsoever of the process in order to understand this concept.

forget about the policy, deficit, or political calculus here. the dems had a slam-dunk opportunity to push an incredibly popular stimulus. it does not matter if they can't achieve it, it is a messaging issue, pure and simple. there are so many opportunities, years and years worth, of turning the screws on GOP incumbents that vote down a $2000 check, and they wasted it.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Hegel Exercises posted:

ok, bye I guess

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

lightpole posted:

???

Perhaps in the sense that the League of Nations started us on the path to not having a third world war but otherwise no. The only parts of Obamacare that are doing anything meaningful ten years later are the Medicaid expansion and pre existing conditions protections. But as far as universal health care, Obamacare is primarily "useful" as far as proving that market reform can't work. Right now if you're in the Obamacare exchanges the health care options are both expensive and useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Hegel Exercises posted:

I know we don't need more infighting but let's not pretend they aren't right