Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I thought it was fun to have Aya's development be shown from the outside as she grew increasingly disconnected from her life outside her crusade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is the 'same' Aya i can hire for my ship in AC:O

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Infamous Second Son : Hitting the :moreevil: button and having a great time doing so.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Is the 'same' Aya i can hire for my ship in AC:O

Yes. Same Bayek, too.

I thought Bayek worked great as a main character, and his role as a Medjay formed the perfect perspective for seeing Egypt go through radical change. His entire legacy is a tradition that has been left behind and when his only son is taken from him, it's understandable that he goes berserk.

Anya's a badass, but her story's different and a little to close to previous protagonists. Her revenge is just as personal, but she's less bound by tradition her husband is. Bayek, in contrast, has to do way more soul searching to discover what he fights for and question which laws he is actually meant to uphold.

I also never felt like either character was playing second fiddle to the other's actions. They're both equally capable, which makes it easy to believe that these two really live each other while simultaneously making it unavoidable that they will grow apart.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vandar posted:

"Dudes don't want to play as ladies in games and as we all know only dudes play games, yo." - Ubisoft marketing, probably, most likely the same guy that forced Alexios into being playable for Odyssey

There was a stretch where their go-to lie was "we don't have animations for a female protagonist". Aside from being dumb on its own, this was right around when they had Assassins Creed games with multiplayer modes. Multiplayer modes with female characters and a full assassin moveset.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There was a stretch where their go-to lie was "we don't have animations for a female protagonist". Aside from being dumb on its own, this was right around when they had Assassins Creed games with multiplayer modes. Multiplayer modes with female characters and a full assassin moveset.

Not to beat a dead horse but that was specifically for AC: Unity, which had an overwhelmingly detailed clothing customization system for your dude. By the time anyone complained about it, it would have taken a staggering amount of work to implement a second character of the opposite gender from scratch. They also immediately took it to heart and had a female player character in the next game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For a less acceptable usage of that excuse (edit: by publisher meddling, not the dev) see Dead Space 3. That game was planned from the ground up to have the man/woman co op split a la RE5. Originally the story was a bit different and featured Ellie as the co op partner instead of Carver's Gears reject lookin rear end, but it proved much easier to have a second player use Isaac's animations and skeleton instead of expending the effort to mocap, animate, and rig a lady for player control, plus making unique RIG suits etc. In the game's code Carver is referred to as 'shadow isaac' because in testing he straight up used Isaac's model according to the devs.

But like... Dead Space 3 was a first party EA game. They definitely had the time and money to do that because it was part of the original design. The REAL reason was that EA was trying to sink Visceral, but we only know that in hindsight.

edit: I actually was sort of misremembering, the original design doc was even more progressive for 2013, Ellie was player 1 and Isaac was player 2. This later got changed to Ellie being the protagonist of a hypothetical Dead Space 4 when they introduced Carver, but then Visceral was shuttered when EA had leeched it dry. Ellie was SUPPOSED to be the connecting thread of the series' future with Dead Space 3 being used as her transition to protagonist instead of side character because people loved her so much in Dead Space 2.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Jan 16, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Getting sucked back into Splatoon tonight since there's one last Splatfest, and I'm remembering how much I love the quick emote react system. It's so nice when you can Booyah! to a nice move or revenge kill and the whole team goes along with it, I sometimes even reflexively hit the d-pad to do so in other games out of habit.
e: not to mention, it helps that every react is basically the cutest thing ever :woomy:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Jan 16, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Getting sucked back into Splatoon tonight since there's one last Splatfest, and I'm remembering how much I love the quick emote react system. It's so nice when you can Booyah! to a nice move or revenge kill and the whole team goes along with it, I sometimes even reflexively hit the d-pad to do so in other games out of habit.
e: not to mention, it helps that every react is basically the cutest thing ever :woomy:

There's always "one last" splatfest

This is the fourth splatfest since they were done doing them

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

There's always "one last" splatfest

This is the fourth splatfest since they were done doing them

I mean, I'm not complaining, I'm pretty sure I've sunk more of my life into either one than any other game and I'm not gonna turn down slightly new content since we're a ways behind on an actual sequel.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I mean, I'm not complaining, I'm pretty sure I've sunk more of my life into either one than any other game and I'm not gonna turn down slightly new content since we're a ways behind on an actual sequel.

I honestly thought i was in the Switch thread when I posted that, my bad

I only played Splatoon for a free weekend last year and it was pretty neat, I meant to grab it during a holiday sale but didn't

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's so weird that what I think is the best new recent videogame IP basically started out as "how do we make these tofu blocks shooting at one another into something fun"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dewgy posted:

Not to beat a dead horse but that was specifically for AC: Unity, which had an overwhelmingly detailed clothing customization system for your dude. By the time anyone complained about it, it would have taken a staggering amount of work to implement a second character of the opposite gender from scratch. They also immediately took it to heart and had a female player character in the next game.

My favorite part about this was after Ubisoft said 'hurr durr can't add a female assassin', the very next trailer for Sunset Overdrive featured...a female assassin. Probably using a skeleton for an already existing female character, but it was still a sort of funny 'gently caress you'.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-20-you-can-be-a-female-assassin-in-sunset-overdrive

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Are there any games that just kinda feel like a time capsule to people despite still being ongoing and actively updated? I played some Sonic robo blast 2 recently and even playing online it still feels the same as it did 10 years ago, right down to the community.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zoig posted:

Are there any games that just kinda feel like a time capsule to people despite still being ongoing and actively updated? I played some Sonic robo blast 2 recently and even playing online it still feels the same as it did 10 years ago, right down to the community.

Perhaps not for ongoing updates, but my go-to for 'time capsule games' are Final Fantasy VII (the original, of course) and Deus Ex. Those two games hit you so loving hard with extremely dated aesthetic that you can't help but judge them on the merits of the time.

FFVII does it not just with the 'late 90s grimy cyberpunk' visuals, but specifically its approaches to prerendered backgrounds and its very visible polygonal limitations while still doing well within them. And of course, Deus Ex gets there ENTIRELY through floating 'cool' company logos and the single most 1999 music track ever.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sunset Overdrive is one of the few games I have ever deleted off my Steam profile. The attempt at "How do you do, fellow kids" humour is so goddamn rancid and I've enjoyed Watch Dogs 2 twice.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Sunset Overdrive is one of the few games I have ever deleted off my Steam profile. The attempt at "How do you do, fellow kids" humour is so goddamn rancid and I've enjoyed Watch Dogs 2 twice.

Weird fave little thing but okay

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't care what thread it is, that game sucks.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there are enough threads about whining about videogames to not bring it into the one explicitly about positive things

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Recently got a Valve Index and been playing Alyx, and you can block headcrab lunges with something in your hands. Just bat the fuckers away like they’re a baseball. It rules.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You also can put pretty much anything vaguely hat shaped on your head including many things that are not even remotely hats. Then you can just crouch or look down when a headcrab leaps to make them bounce off if it's something big and stupid like a traffic cone.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I loving love the flammable shotgun shells in Last of Us 2.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Perhaps not for ongoing updates, but my go-to for 'time capsule games' are Final Fantasy VII (the original, of course) and Deus Ex. Those two games hit you so loving hard with extremely dated aesthetic that you can't help but judge them on the merits of the time.
This is accurate as stated but I have to say that the last time I fired up FFVII my judgement was very much "holy poo poo this is awesome I wish games were like this today"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So in Monster Hunter Rise you have a dog that you can ride into battle. That's awesome in and of itself but you can also interact with it and while waiting for you to make a selection, the dog sits on its hind legs and does that sort of excited dance on its front paws that dogs do when they know their about to get a treat or something. loving rules, day one purchase.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

CJacobs posted:

You also can put pretty much anything vaguely hat shaped on your head including many things that are not even remotely hats. Then you can just crouch or look down when a headcrab leaps to make them bounce off if it's something big and stupid like a traffic cone.

I have indeed recently discovered the joy of IS HAT NOW.

My only complaint is I can't pick up random poo poo and beat headcrabs to death with it. Also antlions being a little annoying to fight.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I just finished the Testikles quests in Odyssey.

Wrap it up, the game can't get much better than this. :allears:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vandar posted:

I just finished the Testikles quests in Odyssey.

Wrap it up, the game can't get much better than this. :allears:

Don't forget the DLC where you can Sparta kick a god in the nuts

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just loaded up Odyssey and holy crap, these games have a museum mode now?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm playing the PS4 remaster of Medievil. I love how the graphics, sound and presentation are so incredible and are paired with the gameplay being so dated. I don't know if I've played another remaster/remake that updates the presentation so much but leaves the actual gameplay largely unchanged. Maybe the Resident Evil 1 Gamecube remake? That one had more updates over the original game and the tank control RE was only a little bit dated instead of multigenerations old.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Shiroc posted:

I'm playing the PS4 remaster of Medievil. I love how the graphics, sound and presentation are so incredible and are paired with the gameplay being so dated. I don't know if I've played another remaster/remake that updates the presentation so much but leaves the actual gameplay largely unchanged. Maybe the Resident Evil 1 Gamecube remake? That one had more updates over the original game and the tank control RE was only a little bit dated instead of multigenerations old.

I will forever talk up the Spyro remasters. Other than one small change that makes charge jumping more reasonable the games play the exact same while looking a thousand times better.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

moosecow333 posted:

I will forever talk up the Spyro remasters. Other than one small change that makes charge jumping more reasonable the games play the exact same while looking a thousand times better.

Getting 100 on the first two games is an easy endeavour, but the skateboard races in the third are bullshit. There's also one innoucus ledge that is incredibly hard to land on for no reason.

Shiroc posted:

REmake was further updated to include a modern control-scheme. It also incorporates story-content meant for the original game that didn't make the cut as well as references to later games. The entire remake is meant to be a wholesale classy version of the game that wasn't possible the first time around.

REmake is pretty much The True Resident Evil Experience. The only thing lost in the transition was this masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Jan 16, 2021

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I started playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 yesterday and I really like the episodic nature (just finished Barry's first chapter), and the Raid mode is really cool too. It fits my lovely attention span perfectly, and the music in raid mode is neat.
I didn't think I'd like the flicking between two characters in the main story but it works nicely so far.

I'm alternating between this and RE7 for short periods because the latter is the prettiest ugly game I ever played.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Phy posted:

Just loaded up Odyssey and holy crap, these games have a museum mode now?

Pretty sure Origin was the first one to have that. It’s a pretty cool feature.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I started playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 yesterday and I really like the episodic nature (just finished Barry's first chapter), and the Raid mode is really cool too. It fits my lovely attention span perfectly, and the music in raid mode is neat.
I didn't think I'd like the flicking between two characters in the main story but it works nicely so far.

I'm alternating between this and RE7 for short periods because the latter is the prettiest ugly game I ever played.

I got so caught up in Rev 2’s raid mode that I never ended up finishing the main game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
RE7 seems to have had a design goal of making the player want to say "eugh" in response to any texture anywhere in the entire video game. And it's wonderful.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Vandar posted:

Pretty sure Origin was the first one to have that. It’s a pretty cool feature.

I got so caught up in Rev 2’s raid mode that I never ended up finishing the main game.

For real, I have spent as much time on that as the campaign so far. Got one more to 5 medal on the first gauntlet. Raid mode is sorta like what people who have tangential awareness of resident evil think resident evil is, just endless zombie murder. I love it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

CJacobs posted:

RE7 seems to have had a design goal of making the player want to say "eugh" in response to any texture anywhere in the entire video game. And it's wonderful.

RE7 was such a great experience but one I'm unlikely to ever play again because of that. It was more unsettling to me from end to end than any of the other REs I've played.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Unrelated to both Assassin's Creed and Resident Evil:

In Fallout New Vegas you explore a vault that's been taken over by the Fiends (junkie raiders). They've trashed the place, put up graffiti and litter and skulls everywhere. There's one door that's locked, that they haven't managed to get into (an additional fun detail is that the floor in front of that door is littered with lockpicks). If you open that door, you find the kitchen, which is pristine.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

So Odyssey's Ultimate edition was on sale on the Playstation store, and I'm playing that now and I LOVE MY BOAT

I have just got my boat and I love my boat and the Greek sea shanties and also I saw a sperm whale breach next to me! This is great!

This is also giving me huge flashbacks to when I was nineteen and I read the Odyssey but also came down with a really high fever when I was halfway through and had some sort of weird hallucination/sleep paralysis episode involving Athena, but that's almost a bonus.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

This is also giving me huge flashbacks to when I was nineteen and I read the Odyssey but also came down with a really high fever when I was halfway through and had some sort of weird hallucination/sleep paralysis episode involving Athena, but that's almost a bonus.

Well, did you do what she asked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Well, did you do what she asked?

Considering what she asked me was "please try to endure while I battle some random dude for control of your body and also your limbs are turning into snakes for some reason" I guess I did, yeah.