Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think what turns a lot of people off Farscape, myself included, is the weird BDSM grandpa as the villain.

Scorpius is an amazing villain, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Phy posted:

Through a combination of raw exposure, and the fact that one of the main characters is a hopeless lubber who regularly has the finer points of sailing re-explained to him, you do begin to understand the gist of what's going on with the rigging at any given time.

This is a key point, if nobody is explaining something to the doctor, the reader doesn't need to know either.

And if you'd like to try it yourself, have a square-rig sailing sim:

https://thapen.itch.io/painted-ocean

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Polaron posted:

Scorpius is an amazing villain, though

I like the little thong he has for his cleft chin.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think what turns a lot of people off Farscape, myself included, is the weird BDSM grandpa as the villain.

BDSM Grandpa might be the best villain in sci-fi history. I'm not sure I can think of a better one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Watching Terminator 2 last night and I noticed the psych hospital security lady has a cast on her arm. They don’t explain why, but you can assume it’s because of Sarah Conner.

That’s not necessarily new. But I never noticed when she breaks Arnold’s sunglasses that’s the first time we’ve seen his eyes since the biker bar and is the moment Sarah Conner stops seeing him as a threat. And it made for a cute visual gag.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

silence_kit posted:

I like the little thong he has for his cleft chin.

More people should wear Chinderwear.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

scorpius is not only precious by himself but he also gave us harvey, and harvey's exhortations to eat pizza with margaritas will never leave my mind

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I did not get this until is was explained, but

when Willy Wonka unlocks the lock musically, the mom says "Oh, Rachmoninov," but it's Mozart

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A fun one I noticed on a recent rewatch of The Prestige is that Borden (Christian Bale's character) gives away his secret 10 minutes into the movie. Angier (Hugh Jackman's character) is reading Borden's journal and it says "We were two young men at the start of a great career, two young men devoted to an illusion. Two young men who never intended to hurt anyone." Angier (and the viewer) just assumes Borden is referring to him.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Krispy Wafer posted:

Watching Terminator 2 last night and I noticed the psych hospital security lady has a cast on her arm. They don’t explain why, but you can assume it’s because of Sarah Conner.

That’s not necessarily new. But I never noticed when she breaks Arnold’s sunglasses that’s the first time we’ve seen his eyes since the biker bar and is the moment Sarah Conner stops seeing him as a threat. And it made for a cute visual gag.

Much like Tim Meadows in Mean Girls, it was a real injury that happened before filming and they found no reason to recast her.
Though, she broke her arm and Tim had carpal tunnel surgery.

It's me, the guy keeping the physical media industry alive because I'm obsessed with BTS stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

muscles like this! posted:

A fun one I noticed on a recent rewatch of The Prestige is that Borden (Christian Bale's character) gives away his secret 10 minutes into the movie. Angier (Hugh Jackman's character) is reading Borden's journal and it says "We were two young men at the start of a great career, two young men devoted to an illusion. Two young men who never intended to hurt anyone." Angier (and the viewer) just assumes Borden is referring to him.

drat, I never picked up on this, wow.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah it’s a good movie but have you read the book? Bro it’s not even close

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oldpainless posted:

Yeah it’s a good movie but have you read the book? Bro it’s not even close

yeah the book has terrible casting

otoh at least its easier to hear the characters than in Nolan's version

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

muscles like this! posted:

One detail that I've argued with folks about a couple times is that Borden's wife is in on the secret and the three of them have coded language between them so the wife knows who she is talking to at the moment ("some days you love magic more"). I don't think the other woman had anything like that, but I don't remember now.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Crumps Brother posted:

One detail that I've argued with folks about a couple times is that Borden's wife is in on the secret and the three of them have coded language between them so the wife knows who she is talking to at the moment ("some days you love magic more"). I don't think the other woman had anything like that, but I don't remember now.

The wife definitely wasn't in on it. She knows something is up but her inability to grasp it is what leads her to take her own life.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

AFewBricksShy posted:

The wife definitely wasn't in on it. She knows something is up but her inability to grasp it is what leads her to take her own life.

The wife was in on it.

quote:

Alfred Borden: Everything's going to be alright, because I love you very much.
Sarah: Say it again.
Alfred Borden: I love you.
Sarah: Not today.
Alfred Borden: What do you mean?
Sarah: Well some days it's not true. Maybe today you're more in love with magic. I like being able to tell the difference, it makes the days it is true mean something.

And in the scene right before your spoilers...

quote:

Alfred Borden: Olivia means nothing.

Sarah: Olivia?
- I'll go to her, I'll tell her.

Alfred Borden: You'll tell her what?

Sarah: I know what you really are, Alfred.
- I know.

Alfred Borden: Sarah, Sarah, Sarah.

Sarah: I can't keep it in.
Alfred, I can't live like this!

Alfred Borden: Well, what do you want from me?

Sarah: I... I want...
I want you to be... honest with me.
No tricks.
No lies.
And no secrets.
Do you... do you love me?

Alfred Borden: Not today.
No.

The wife was in on it. And while Borden could live with the secret she wasn't able to. She even threatened to spill the secret to the assistant. Totally forgot about that little tidbit.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Crumps Brother posted:

The wife was in on it.

And in the scene right before your spoilers...

The wife was in on it. And while Borden could live with the secret she wasn't able to. She even threatened to spill the secret to the assistant. Totally forgot about that little tidbit.

Those quotes sound more like she things he's bipolar or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That second scene reads like she figured it out and is only just revealing that to him.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

That second scene reads like she figured it out and is only just revealing that to him.

Yeah. I’ve never heard anyone say they think she was in on it the whole time and honestly I think that’s loving insane

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I feel like if she knew then she wouldn't have said "some days you love me, some days you love magic" she would have said "oh gently caress, you're the brother, goddamnit."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah, and in one of their arguments, doesn't she have a line asking why "Fallon" is always hanging around and/or why he's so close/protective of their daughter?

If she knew, that line makes no sense.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
It completely boggles my mind that people can read that first scene and think that she doesn't know at that point. She's directly calls out Borden in that scene for trying to hold up the ruse in their private life. Like the the start of the diary it's written exactly as a double entendre. On first view it looks like a normal fight, but on second view when you know about the double it takes a completely different meaning.

The second scene starts the fight in media res. On first view you're supposed to think they're fighting about Olivia, except Borden is the one that brings her up first and Sarah is initially confused why she was even mentioned before pivoting and then threatening to tell Olivia the secret.

If you can concede that she knows the secret in the second scene, but somehow not the first scene which was written using the exact same language. I don't know what to tell you.

I also really like that bipolar comment because figuratively that's just what she's going through. Just that it's not her it's her husband. On some days he loves her madly and on others he doesn't care at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She knows. She's not in on it. There is a difference.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Aphrodite posted:

She knows. She's not in on it. There is a difference.
That feels pretty fair.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What the gently caress? Am I taking crazy pills or something? That first quote, the "tell me you love me", "not today", is her quite literally being upset with him and calling out how he seems to go hot and cold on her, not "I think you're two people."

Like someone else said, if she knew, if she really knew, she'd likely be able to deal with it just fine, and realize that sometimes, she's out in public with the brother.

I'll be honest, I don't know what she's referring to when she says the thing about telling people what he "really is", but it can't be anything more than a suspicion OR she's referring to something else. I'm probably going to rewatch it sometime soon, but wow, she's definitely not in on the ruse that Borden is building his life around, and ruining hers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'll be honest, I don't know what she's referring to when she says the thing about telling people what he "really is", but it can't be anything more than a suspicion OR she's referring to something else. I'm probably going to rewatch it sometime soon, but wow, she's definitely not in on the ruse that Borden is building his life around, and ruining hers.

No you're right, she's definitely not "in on it", but she figures it out at some point before that last conversation. Maybe she isn't 100% certain, but she put the pieces together enough to make the accusation.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

When he cuts off his finger (to match his brother who got his shot off) she says something like “it’s bleeding almost as bad as when it happened.” Why the hell would she say that if she knew. You morons. You absolute idiots.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I know she didn’t know. Didn’t have a clue ever. See any scene where they have friction and you can see how she is tortured by it. The point would be ruined if she knew. Movie storytelling tries to be all vague and “you need to figure it out for yourself” but that is bullshit and we all know there is an objective answer. I’m laughing my rear end off at you idiots getting heated about it. Just dying. Being that as it is, I don’t feel like explaining further. A child could figure it out without my help. Dumbass theories you all have, and if you don’t believe me reread every first word of each sentence in this post

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RCarr posted:

When he cuts off his finger (to match his brother who got his shot off) she says something like “it’s bleeding almost as bad as when it happened.” Why the hell would she say that if she knew. You morons. You absolute idiots.

That’s like years earlier.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That’s like years earlier.

So what? People are saying “she’s in on it”. This is just one of about 20 scenes where they beat you over the head with the fact she clearly isn’t.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RCarr posted:

So what? People are saying “she’s in on it”. This is just one of about 20 scenes where they beat you over the head with the fact she clearly isn’t.

Yeah but that guy conceded the point already.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Lol she's definitely not "in on it", otherwise the affair would be a non-issue

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

freeedr posted:

I know she didn’t know. Didn’t have a clue ever. See any scene where they have friction and you can see how she is tortured by it. The point would be ruined if she knew. Movie storytelling tries to be all vague and “you need to figure it out for yourself” but that is bullshit and we all know there is an objective answer. I’m laughing my rear end off at you idiots getting heated about it. Just dying. Being that as it is, I don’t feel like explaining further. A child could figure it out without my help. Dumbass theories you all have, and if you don’t believe me reread every first word of each sentence in this post

:golfclap:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I mean it’s a cool concept but if this woman didn’t notice her husband had a totally different penis sometimes I don’t know what to tell you

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
more like oldtwinless

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if science hasn't yet performed a comprehensive comparative survey of twin genitalia then what's the loving point

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

World War Mammories posted:

if science hasn't yet performed a comprehensive comparative survey of twin genitalia then what's the loving point

Probably Nazis did, making that a very apt username post combo.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I've worked with two pairs of twins before. Eventually you spend enough time around them and their subtle differences that you can't believe you ever had trouble telling them apart. Made an rear end out of myself a few times before that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Killing Them Softly: when ray liotta parks his car, he gets into a huge big space and then backs up so there's space for another car

nice guy