Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
imagine what would happen if i went on question time and said all like "i'd like to see that boris johnstons live on a school meal package instead of MP expenses and see how he likes it!!!!!!!!!!" everyone would just clap and cheer and i'd probably end up getting made a something or other

i think this kitty from the blessed pics gbs thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

knox_harrington posted:

Amusingly* Wakefield is back in action on COVID to reverse over his plausibility in case it wasn't already fully dead.

https://mobile.twitter.com/skepticalraptor/status/1349507545057161216

* not that amusing actually

Jesus loving christ can the "journalists" (feels like the wrong word, but it's the closest I've got) please stop talking to moronic grifters who were drummed out of the profession in disgrace longer ago than most of them have been working?!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

prince2 public sector IT shite makes me want to drive my car into the sea tbh

PRINCE2 is a project management thing rather than an IT thing. IT stuff gets managed with it, but so does like HS2... which probably tells you all you need to know about it.

Well, that and it's an open-book exam *and three people in my class of ten had to retake it*.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

crispix posted:

imagine what would happen if i went on question time and said all like "i'd like to see that boris johnstons live on a school meal package instead of MP expenses and see how he likes it!!!!!!!!!!" everyone would just clap and cheer and i'd probably end up getting made a something or other

i think this kitty from the blessed pics gbs thread

Boris gets one package for each kid and gets even fatter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dogatron posted:

Chasing round liquid mercury with a paper towel and a dustpan and then dumping in a sharps bin happened a lot. A huge amount in all the hospitals up and down the UK until the late 90s.

I'm probably an old reactionary fucker but I miss the mercury thermometer and the mercury sphygnomanometer. The mercury sphyg was a beautiful instrument. If you were good you didn't need a stethoscope, you could do it by the twitch of the mercury, Most health care professionals nowadays don't even know the unit a blood pressure is measured in. I feel the need to talk about central venous pressure and drip stands and cm of H20 and an x.

I will stop and admit I am old and it doesn't matter.
No dusting it with sulphur? (I liked the mercury sphygmomanometers, you could still find them in country practices into the 00s).

Perhaps a hamster posted:

None of those countries are Slav.
Everywhere east of Sorbia is Slavs, everywhere west of Sorbia is Franks.

crispix posted:

an example of :ohdear:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

thespaceinvader posted:

Jesus loving christ can the "journalists" (feels like the wrong word, but it's the closest I've got) please stop talking to moronic grifters who were drummed out of the profession in disgrace longer ago than most of them have been working?!

Who else are they going to talk to around the watercooler?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

PRINCE2 is a project management thing rather than an IT thing. IT stuff gets managed with it, but so does like HS2... which probably tells you all you need to know about it.

Well, that and it's an open-book exam *and three people in my class of ten had to retake it*.

yeah sorry i meant IT projects that are managed using it. The health trust I work for uses it for things that really ought to be trivial to plan and implement but there are a lot of people around who aren't terribly skilled or knowledgable but who really love having meetings

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

Homeschooling is advised for children with autism due to the negative effects of large class sizes, especially if the other children also have disorders affecting behavior.

Just children with autism though adults generally learn how to deal with it.

This is horseshit, just so you know

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Perhaps a hamster posted:

None of those countries are Slav.

Slavic-adjacent, at least, unlike with Estonian.

e: Though I know it's a touchy subject what with Russia/USSR and all that, but at the same time I can understand bits of Latvian and there's no way I could understand say Finnish (aside from "perkele" anyway).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 16, 2021

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
So when's the next fucken clap?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thursday, 8pm.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fumble posted:

So when's the next fucken clap?

Never stop clapping for our heroes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My rear end cheeks are extremely tired I wish to stop clapping please.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I started a blog. It originally began as a way to take notes for myself but I found myself putting effort into the writing so I decided to just do it like a normal blog. It'll cover topics like the changing nature of truth and reality, how we communicate, technology, Big Data, democracy, surveillance capitalism, all that fun stuff. I know the name sucks, I just couldn't think of anything else. I also reluctantly got it a Twitter.

Blog: truthcommsoc.net
Twitter: twitter.com/TruthCommSoc

Please follow me and read my blog.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

PRINCE2 stands for PRojects In Controlled Environments. Controlled? Like seriously, how do we allow people so detached from reality to hold power?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Dead Goon posted:

Isn't the reason for anti-vaxers worldwide just idiocy?

Sort of? It's more an expression of massive distrust in the relevant power structures ie big pharma, the establishment media and the government don't have your best interests at heart so be suspicious of anything they tell you to do, and then there's the psychosexual element that it's something you can't understand invading your body.

I honestly don't blame anyone for hating and fearing every single element of our existing power apparatus and the idea that 'they hate me and want to enslave me with wiles' ergo gently caress the vaccine is understandable as gently caress if the person doesn't have class consciousness.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

My rear end cheeks are extremely tired I wish to stop clapping please.
Hrrrrnnggh Capital, I’m trying to starve kids but I’m dummy thicc and the clap from my rear end cheeks keeps alerting Marcus Rashford.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vitamin P posted:

Sort of? It's more an expression of massive distrust in the relevant power structures ie big pharma, the establishment media and the government don't have your best interests at heart so be suspicious of anything they tell you to do, and then there's the psychosexual element that it's something you can't understand invading your body.

I honestly don't blame anyone for hating and fearing every single element of our existing power apparatus and the idea that 'they hate me and want to enslave me with wiles' ergo gently caress the vaccine is understandable as gently caress if the person doesn't have class consciousness.

What about anti-vaxxers who do have class consciousness?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Latest in FOR gently caress'S SAKE news:

https://twitter.com/BennnyH/status/1350205547107246083?s=19

It really is a little club where they all believe they're entitled to do whatever they want with no repercussions except the occasional damage limitation PR campaign.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

therattle posted:

What about anti-vaxxers who do have class consciousness?

Seem fringe enough to be ignorable.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean even ITT there were people saying they wouldn't trust a vaccine towards the end of last year
I trust it as proscribed by medical experts, as proscribed by Tories I suspect I’m just going to be incubating a vaccine-resistant strain for 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Proscribed means forbidden, prescribed means advised. So if medical experts have proscribed it you shouldn't take it. Similarly if tories proscribe something it's probably cool and good.

English is a stupid language.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Home Office finally doing something that the ECtHR said they should have done decades ago.

Just not on purpose or with any kind of control.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Proscribed means forbidden, prescribed means advised. So if medical experts have proscribed it you shouldn't take it. Similarly if tories proscribe something it's probably cool and good.

English is a stupid language.
I admit my weekend drinking may have effected my language skills

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Home Office finally doing something that the ECtHR said they should have done decades ago.

Just not on purpose or with any kind of control.

is this another excel calamity?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

I admit my weekend drinking may have effected my language skills

I mean it is genuinely stupid that we have two words that are spelled almost the same and which are also pronounced the same which mean exactly the opposite.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jel Shaker posted:

is this another excel calamity?

Please, these very secret documents were obviously kept as .gifs

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it is genuinely stupid that we have two words that are spelled almost the same and which are also pronounced the same which mean exactly the opposite.

Inflammable means flammable? What a country!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Replace proscribed with haram.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
This data wipe is actually great news for so many people. It's probably the single best act of human goodness this government has ever done.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The use of homophones should be sanctioned IMO

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jakabite posted:

I started a blog. It originally began as a way to take notes for myself but I found myself putting effort into the writing so I decided to just do it like a normal blog. It'll cover topics like the changing nature of truth and reality, how we communicate, technology, Big Data, democracy, surveillance capitalism, all that fun stuff. I know the name sucks, I just couldn't think of anything else. I also reluctantly got it a Twitter.

Blog: truthcommsoc.net
Twitter: twitter.com/TruthCommSoc

Please follow me and read my blog.

Haven't read your articles yet but anyway:

That book Weapons of Math Destruction is on my 'want to read' list (when I've got through my backlog of books).

And here's a question I've been meaning to ask - do members of this forum consider it to be social media or not? I put it in the social media box just wondering how many others do?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really see how it couldn't be social media, it's just an old fashioned form of it, though equally you could argue that that form difference also constitutes a structural difference in that I have at least a passing familiarity with a lot of the people I post with and the forum is linear threaded which means the whole thing is there to engage with if I want to, rather than being presented with an algorithmically generated kaleidoscope view of content from a pool of functionally infinite idiocy.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Well we do have 'raised' and 'razed' which are pronounced the same but spelled different and mean exactly the opposite.

Data wipes:

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the data, I can't believe this lot never seem to do backups!
I have two separate backup ext hdds and when I go away I take one away with me.
Also my photos also have a 3rd backup on 32GB microsd cards (I still can't get over how a little wallet smaller than my hand of 12x 32GB sd cards holds eats several entire series, numerous films, music collection, ebooks - that used to take up entire walls of shelves 15 years ago. I prefer real books but just don't have the space anymore for more than a couple of hundred.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 16, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well we do have 'raised' and 'razed' which are pronounced the same but spelled different and mean exactly the opposite.

Also stupid! I am the language arbiter and I proclaim English to be stupid.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And here's a question I've been meaning to ask - do members of this forum consider it to be social media or not? I put it in the social media box just wondering how many others do?

I consider any site/service that's made up of primarily user generated/contributed content to be social media, so I'd qualify this forum to be social media the same way that I would say Usenet / BBS were.

I know that a lot of people consider social media to only be algorithmic feeds and only non-human moderation though, so yes to FB/Twitter/Tik Too etc, no to forums. but they're wrong

Was MySpace social media?

I guess it's contextual?

blunt fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 16, 2021

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

’Social media’ is a trap term here. Technically of course the forums are social media, but they’re not algorithmically enhanced and we don’t have official corporate accounts, so IMO it’s not toxic or harmful in the same way as Twitter or Facebook.

It is a hard-left radicalisation platform for antifa super soldiers though👹

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Please, these very secret documents were obviously kept as .gifs

Inflammable means flammable? What a country!

I used to rename top secret documents (eg certain things my ex boyfriend used to send me) as .dll or whatever files to keep them hidden from all but the most forensic of computer detectives. Then I forgot what name the relevant dll files were so I have 'interesting photos' hidden somewhere on my computer and I knoweth not where.

TACD posted:

’Social media’ is a trap term here. Technically of course the forums are social media, but they’re not algorithmically enhanced and we don’t have official corporate accounts, so IMO it’s not toxic or harmful in the same way as Twitter or Facebook.

It is a hard-left radicalisation platform for antifa super soldiers though👹

Should we be reporting ourselves to "Protect & Survive" then?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm pretty sure there is software you can get that will look for anything where the file data does not match the extension. And in fact modern computer forensics will specifically look for files like that because they are highly suspicious.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I'm pretty sure there is software you can get that will look for anything where the file data does not match the extension. And in fact modern computer forensics will specifically look for files like that because they are highly suspicious.

Well if the feds ever confiscate my computer they're going to get an eyeful then LOL (It was only to stop friends and family from being nosey.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was more thinking if you ever want the pictures back the software is probably freely available knowing infosec people.