Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

which is worse: chinese motorcycles made in italy, or italian motorcycles made in china??

Third option: the exhausting conversation of whether that's racism, nation-ism, or some other-ism.

edit: Oh god this is the worst way to start a new page. Ummm remember Motus? The V4 is still kicking around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIomi1sJH8s

OOO here's one for less than $18,000 https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2017-Motus-MST-5014853481

Coredump fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Coredump posted:

Third option: the exhausting conversation of whether that's racism, nation-ism, or some other-ism.

edit: Oh god this is the worst way to start a new page. Ummm remember Motus? The V4 is still kicking around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIomi1sJH8s

OOO here's one for less than $18,000 https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2017-Motus-MST-5014853481

Autism

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here I thought motus failed because of a lack of coherence or a faulty conception of market reality, but it was actually the factory manager having a screeching tantrum every time someone moved a part out of line.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Here I thought motus failed because of a lack of coherence or a faulty conception of market reality, but it was actually the factory manager having a screeching tantrum every time someone moved a part out of line.

Last I knew they still make motors, but they got out of the motorcycle biz (as you stated, they vastly overestimated the market for a boutique $25K sports tourer that couldn't be sold in the EU because it has no ABS).

The motors are supposedly "half of a small-block Chevy V8", so they're easy to work on and parts should be (mostly) readily available

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They are an lsX cut in half iirc. Cool idea searching for a home.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Uh no, it came that way from the factory. The machine that puts the hole in the bolt, however that works, wasn't zeroed to the machine that puts the thread and edge on the bolt. So the hole is literally off center. In my second pic, the fact that the hole is offset vertically isn't a trick of perspective or lens distortion, it is exactly how it looks IRL.

Like, it's never been off before and the bike is a year old and has a few thousand km, the head bearings were basically hosed from new. His wife has an identical bike and that too got head bearings a month or so ago, the bolt was made properly on that one.

Unreal. I have not seen that even with bottom of the barrel Menards fasteners.

Jazzzzz posted:

Last I knew they still make motors, but they got out of the motorcycle biz (as you stated, they vastly overestimated the market for a boutique $25K sports tourer that couldn't be sold in the EU because it has no ABS).

The motors are supposedly "half of a small-block Chevy V8", so they're easy to work on and parts should be (mostly) readily available

The motor is fantastic but they blew it on the bike. IIRC it was closer to $40k OTD. There are so many good applications for that motor (I'll take a Pilot FL400 with one, thanks) but the motor alone is $10k.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Always was.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/hegemonster/status/1350151222632714241

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

how many of those bikes have pussies in the seat, horny man travis?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Barber shops have to adapt since white supremacists have moved on from shaved heads.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

How uncomfortable must it be to get a haircut while unable to sit back.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're all on side stands too :effort:

Oh god imagine all the hair in the fins and wiring and stuff

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I was too busy imagining sitting on one asscheek for an entire haircut but yeah it would be messy too

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

Barber shops have to adapt since white supremacists have moved on from shaved heads.

I'm grateful for the existence of the fashy haircut because otherwise I'd have to grow my hair out and look exactly like my dad did back in the 90s

E: which is to say, male pattern baldness as gently caress

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

lol what the gently caress, this is the most manchild thing
my barber is all hot rod and rockabilly themed, has an old panhead up on a stand in the shop with a display of pomade and beard oil all around it, old gas station signs and poo poo everywhere
she completely leans into “barbers are a serious classy thing for classy manly men beards BEARDS MAN STUFF RRAARGH” and I think she would roll her eyes so hard at that.

the high and tight fade on white dudes isn’t any more inherently fashy than any other haircut, it’s just a) tangential to the military and b) the look for a bunch of male models these days. Proud Boys et al just ape things they see as masculine and haircuts are a really visible thing.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 16, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Haircutman Travis

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
some people just wear their hair short out of laziness, weird hair, or a combination thereof

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

some people just wear their hair short out of laziness, weird hair, or a combination thereof

Plus you can pretend you’re not quite as bald as you are for a couple more years.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Phy posted:

I'm grateful for the existence of the fashy haircut because otherwise I'd have to grow my hair out and look exactly like my dad did back in the 90s

E: which is to say, male pattern baldness as gently caress

Jazzzzz posted:

I keep my hair buzzed with a #1 out of laziness, comfort, and when it grows out it's super thick and fro-y and just a pain in the rear end, but for a while there the white supremacist haircut was the Dylan Roof bowl cut which seems like the best thing for them to appropriate because it's just an absolute dogshit haircut.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Another buzz cut here, albeit never skinhead short. I have super stereotypical gopnik-in-adidas hair when it grows out so cutting it mercilessly and growing a hobo beard is the only option.

Also I have a mate with Jesus hair and it looks like a huge pain to deal with wrt helmets and stuff. It also gets everywhere which is gross.

Also:

Jazzzzz posted:

some people just wear their hair short out of laziness

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Also I have a mate with Jesus hair and it looks like a huge pain to deal with wrt helmets and stuff. It also gets everywhere which is gross.

It is. It’s the worst. Especially when a loose strand gets in your eye.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

At some point you just have to admit that you aren't even fooling yourself anymore, buzz what's left of it off, and use the money you would have spent on hair product and styling on hats instead.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Pre COVID I kept my hair short and tidy, getting it cut every 4-6 weeks. I had to go 7 months without a cut. It was pretty bad for my helmet fit. I’m baby faced, so having a mess of curls on top makes me look like I’m 16. If shops don’t open in the next two months I’m probably just gonna order clippers and buzz it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Hair chat makes me wonder why a huge beard is a common find in motorcycling. Any time my beard gets long enough to warrant grooming it's so loving uncomfortable in a helmet and immediately makes you look like you live under a bridge once you take the helmet off. Wearing a balaclava when it's winter makes it even worse.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Plus you can pretend you’re not quite as bald as you are for a couple more years.

This is exactly why i started buzzing my hair in the first place, which is what I meant to imply earlier but somehow managed not even that simple task

I don't have nearly enough hair on top for a high and tight or whatever even if I wanted to and even if it wasn't the haircut du jour for white supremacists.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Strife posted:

Hair chat makes me wonder why a huge beard is a common find in motorcycling. Any time my beard gets long enough to warrant grooming it's so loving uncomfortable in a helmet and immediately makes you look like you live under a bridge once you take the helmet off. Wearing a balaclava when it's winter makes it even worse.

It has to be brain bucket/ half helmet legacy. Longer than an inch full beard just results in a curly uneven mess even with balaclavas for me in full face.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

Every remotely good bike mechanic I've met has had a beard. Someone find the beard length : bike skill correlation diagram, it'll explain everything.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Due to the pandemic I had to learn to cut my own hair, and shave off my beard (for masks u c). Worked out really great, because now I'll never go back to a barber and can spend that money on beer. Also my barber had a maga hat on proud display so gently caress those guys. Also it's just so nice without a beard all up in your business.

If I went into a bike shop and saw that display of rocking horses I'd take a bunch of pictures for yall and gtfo. If you were to just start those bikes with hair all over them, how do you think it would smell? Like as a joke. Also do you think the bikes get embarrassed hahah

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Strife posted:

I usually have a pretty massive beard to the point that I’m known for it and I’ve just gotten in the habit of carrying a comb and always giving it a quick tidy when I’m in the bathroom. Keeping it clean, conditioned, and frequently combed helps it spring back from helmet shape quickly. Winter balaclava under a helmet does make it look fuckin goofy though, nothing can be done about that.
Had to cut it off about 6 months into covid though because gently caress having all that under a mask all the time.

I think big bearded moto types don’t usually wear full faces though, I agree with whoever said that. Millennial hipster and old grey freedomerican territory.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have a new neighbor a few doors away and saw they had a Monster parked outside their garage, thought it was cool but it's nothing too crazy. I later on drive by when the garage is open and I see seven other motorcycles, I couldn't identify them but it looked like multiple 90s Japanese bikes in great condition along with other interesting bikes (not just some guy with eight Harleys). I didn't want to harass the guy as I know how much it sucks when you first move into a place and you're unpacking (plus covid), but I'm going to have to stop by next time the garage is open.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Man, New Zeroland's trip over Christmas to South Island really really makes me want to ride NZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr9C5E82XIc

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This looks off the beaten path but I met a guy who lives here and the dirt biking sounded great

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFYswtKHd6k/

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Man, New Zeroland's trip over Christmas to South Island really really makes me want to ride NZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr9C5E82XIc

gently caress if it doesn't look like the awesome bits of BC without having to drive halfway across Berta or the Interior to get to it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah the only problem is it's in the south island, a place that has loads of incredible scenery and gently caress all else. Also not rideable for about 1/3rd of the year, unlike the superior north island which has year-round riding and places to ride to.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Yeah the only problem is it's in the south island, a place that has loads of incredible scenery and gently caress all else. Also not rideable for about 1/3rd of the year, unlike the superior north island which has year-round riding and places to ride to.

poo poo. Need to find other reasons to not move to Christchurch then.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Horse Clocks posted:

You won't be able to afford housing?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

You won't be able to afford housing?
given it’s the cheapest of the 3 cities, I don’t think that’ll work.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Horse Clocks posted:

White supremacy + there is loving nothing to do there + all the good roads are about an hour or two of perfectly dead straight slab away. Gmaps that poo poo if you don't believe me.

If 'what does rent/a house cost?' is a question you need to ask, NZ city living is not for you; our housing crisis is right now metastasizing into a full blown humanitarian crisis, the median auckland (where I live, if you can't tell by my overweening superiority) house price is over a million bucks now.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

White supremacy + there is loving nothing to do there + all the good roads are about an hour or two of perfectly dead straight slab away. Gmaps that poo poo if you don't believe me.

If 'what does rent/a house cost?' is a question you need to ask, NZ city living is not for you; our housing crisis is right now metastasizing into a full blown humanitarian crisis, the median auckland (where I live, if you can't tell by my overweening superiority) house price is over a million bucks now.

Why? That’s crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everyone wants to live in the LOTR world