Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

From what I understand downloading the mod off of steam is standalone, it only checks that you own the requisite game, not whether it's actually installed

Edit: ignore what I wrote here I'm dumb and wrong

Simsmagic fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

PinheadSlim posted:

I heard in a video that the Steam page version should include everything you need. Have not confirmed myself.

Simsmagic posted:

From what I understand downloading the mod off of steam is standalone, it only checks that you own the requisite game, not whether it's actually installed

hell yea. thanks!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If it works like Enderal you'll need New Vegas installed when you install The Frontier, but can uninstall after, it will copy vanilla resources into its own folder.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The difference between the two is if you want to roll with mods, downloading and setting it up inside your FNV folder is the best bet. STEAM Version comes with achivements if that is anyones jam.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Soks posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315940317092249601/799782004291010600/Fallout_-_The_Frontier.7z.torrent

Torrent for the mod if anyone wants, taken straight from the frontier's discord. Doesn't include the hotpatch that was just released on the Nexus, get that.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/68009?tab=files

thank god loving got 99% downloaded then chrome restarted for some loving reason and broke the download now its going sloooww

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SeanBeansShako posted:

The difference between the two is if you want to roll with mods, downloading and setting it up inside your FNV folder is the best bet. STEAM Version comes with achivements if that is anyones jam.

Are there mods for it or does it just use regular F:NV mods?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Taerkar posted:

Are there mods for it or does it just use regular F:NV mods?

For the moment regular, though I imagine some people are already doing mods for it and porting the stuff they like for it back.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm a bit confused about Frontier and how it works. Is it a complete standalone game or does it mod into your existing New Vegas game, functioning like a DLC of sorts? It says it recommends you start a new save file, but then recommends you be level 11+ to start it. I just recently did a fresh install of New Vegas with only a few basic mods(Some guns added in, Bounties,etc), and I'm still in Goodsprings. Will I be okay to install, and continue my game most likely?

e: Got all the required mods installed, but there are no instructions that I see for Frontier. Can I just install it through FOMM like normal? How does the patch thats in the files section work? Same way? Maybe the download will come with an instructions file, actually.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 16, 2021

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Their discord suggests just unzipping all the files and placing them in data?

It's essentially a standalone adventure like DLC.

You got have a level 11 character minimum. You need to sleep in a bed in Goodsprings in a few hours and you should be approached. They suggest around level 20 to be the optimum level for being challenged with it.

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
It's not completely stand alone, that save should be fine so long as you aren't using any mods mentioned here as incompatible etc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1haLudyV-q4IXVu3jmJ_KjvF82CmsQDTIiyJXODHsdAs/htmlview?pru=AAABdyetotE*HZqxJeJiJhNPI22jMR7xSg#gid=0

It's still suggested that you start a new save but it will likely be fine. Once on a character that is lvl 11+, wait 12 hours outside and courier will approach you I think. Beware if you installed the frostbite spider courier mod.

MO2 remains suggested but FOMM should be fine.

Edit: :siren: xNVSE, JIP NVSE, and JohnnyGuitar NVSE have all had updates very recently and are required for The Frontier to work correctly. :siren: I thought I was fine with my setup I made in mid december but nope!

Soks fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 16, 2021

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gotta admit I'm actually pretty annoyed that it isn't stand alone. It seems to be a full game in and of itself so going through it will make you vastly overleveled for New Vegas so why not just make em seperate stories.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dr Pepper posted:

Gotta admit I'm actually pretty annoyed that it isn't stand alone. It seems to be a full game in and of itself so going through it will make you vastly overleveled for New Vegas so why not just make em seperate stories.

Take the Logan's run trait.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Simsmagic posted:

Soks posted:

Edit: :siren: xNVSE, JIP NVSE, and JohnnyGuitar NVSE have all had updates very recently and are required for The Frontier to work correctly. :siren: I thought I was fine with my setup I made in mid december but nope!

That's cool to hear. I have a lot of that stuff installed already through Mod Organizer, but I'd rather do it through the Steam install (once it's available) so I don't have to toggle anything for it to run The Frontier, and keep the installations separate. Plus, my versions of xNVSE, JIP NVSE, and Johnny Guitar are also probably out-of-date, and I'm too lazy to download the updated versions. :effort: (Unless I'm misunderstanding, and I do need to update/adjust my MO install)

Soks posted:

It's still suggested that you start a new save but it will likely be fine. Once on a character that is lvl 11+, wait 12 hours outside and courier will approach you I think. Beware if you installed the frostbite spider courier mod.

This would probably be a lot scarier if the spiders in Skyrim didn't look so dopey (they look more like ants, honestly).

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder how much effort it'll take to fit the frontier into my LINV/old-VNV install. Seems the only major incompatibility is balancing from jsawyer

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is the Frontier mod standalone, or does it hook into New Vegas like an expansion you can travel to with the Courier?

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet

BurritoJustice posted:

I wonder how much effort it'll take to fit the frontier into my LINV/old-VNV install. Seems the only major incompatibility is balancing from jsawyer
The lead dev of The Frontier is literally begging people to turn off all their other mods on discord ahaha, but I'm going to do the exact same thing. :downs: The Frontier stacked right atop my LINV install atop my other 20 content mods, surely nothing will go wrong. jsawyer will probably make some DT math wonky right? Probably a bad idea to use it, but oh well, I'm just doing a test run.

chaosapiant posted:

Is the Frontier mod standalone, or does it hook into New Vegas like an expansion you can travel to with the Courier?
It's not stand alone. After reaching lvl 11 (and waiting 12 hrs or so), a courier will come get you, then you travel to a camp and head to The Frontier. Someone mentioned there being a 'quickstart' option in character creation now? Skipping to an appropriate level.

There's several new hotfix patches exclusive to the discord atm. If anyone is having any issues progressing, make your way there. https://discord.gg/NFSqqqn

Apparently BLEED is causing enemies to aggro on the player in strange situations, so a good idea to leave that off for now. I'mleavingitonlikeanidiot.

Soks fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 16, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If you're doing serious modding, you should know at least how to add xp via console.

The command is player.rewardxp [x] and if you're using big mods you should have the console enabled already in case something breaks.

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
Yeah rip, do not use BLEED, absolutely fucks with things.

Overall though, I'm quite blown away! These people are insane. Like someone fired off a list of 'the most difficult things to do in a gamebyro engine' and they went down the list doing each one.

Edit: I guess the shooting range should've tipped me off, but I really didn't expect a CoD campaign made in FNV ahaha. I'm eyerolling so hard but smiling non-stop, this is all such an insane amount of effort.

Soks fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 16, 2021

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Soks posted:

Edit: I guess the shooting range should've tipped me off, but I really didn't expect a CoD campaign made in FNV ahaha. I'm eyerolling so hard but smiling non-stop, this is all such an insane amount of effort.

I am not impressed so far with this. I didn't expect them to be so literal when they said linear. Like, this is attached to New Vegas, a game with a ridiculous amount of player choice in the gameplay and narrative that you can shoot literally every quest NPC you talk to and the plot will keep on chugging while accounting for their deaths. Surely they mean like, not too linear, but still guided.

When I got to the NCR camp, every named NPC was essential and couldn't be killed, and I couldn't find a single skill check in anyone's dialogue options outside of the 100 Speech check in the shooting range, and there's been no choice in any of the quests.

There's a dialogue choice in the first quest out of the base, the patrol where you meet the Scavs, and it's literally meaningless. You can refuse to execute captive Scavs, or not refuse, they die either way, it's just whether you pull the trigger or not. This felt so bad.

Tying the non-linear story stuff to being with the loving Legion is stupid, and it means getting away from this on rails shooter nonsense so that I can just explore the Portland wasteland requires signing up with them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Soks posted:

Overall though, I'm quite blown away! These people are insane. Like someone fired off a list of 'the most difficult things to do in a gamebyro engine' and they went down the list doing each one.

What's it do besides vehicles?

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
It just has a lot of very script heavy sequences (and creatively made cutscenes) that, for me, have worked very smoothly. The shooting range alone is remarkable as much as it's not-my-thing.

I can't even begin to overstate just how much I did not want to play a silly CoD campaign in FNV, but they've pulled it off very well. I imagine a lot of you are going to tear the devs apart, but I'm just in awe of how dedicated they were to make all this.

I'm just near the start of chapter 2, where it seems to be open world and not-silly-CoD campaign, hoping it stays that way for a while.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Did they made any kind of modifications to the shooting/hit reactions/etc. to make their CoD gameplay work well? Otherwise, it's kinda pointless.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I haven't gotten to play it yet but I'm not opposed to a linear CoD like campaign if the story is interesting and the gameplay is engaging. I'm excited to check it out, I'm cool with gameplay spinoffs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I hope the good stuff makes it's way back to the base game as separate mods

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I got as far as the Legion tank part of the Courier rescue before finally getting a crash.

The whole thing is super impressive in a technical sense, though the NCR story and dialogue is as bog-standard CoD as you can get. Thinking I might wait until a few more patches come down the chute before doing a proper modded FNV + Frontier playthrough. Doing the quick-start feels weird.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Proletarian Mango posted:

I haven't gotten to play it yet but I'm not opposed to a linear CoD like campaign if the story is interesting and the gameplay is engaging. I'm excited to check it out, I'm cool with gameplay spinoffs.

Same, it sounds like they're actually trying. I'm not expecting a narrative on par with the greats, just the equivalent of a RIFTS homebrew.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

RangerKarl posted:

Same, it sounds like they're actually trying. I'm not expecting a narrative on par with the greats, just the equivalent of a RIFTS homebrew.

I don't recall the developers ever saying they were going to top or be equal to the rest of FNV, so even if some things don't work out it still is nice and the mods coming post Frontier to the base game is a bonus.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
What do you guys mean by linear? Like just the quest design of it? Is it still open/explorable, or literally linear-linear, if that question makes any sense to you.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

What do you guys mean by linear? Like just the quest design of it? Is it still open/explorable, or literally linear-linear, if that question makes any sense to you.

For what it's worth, the NCR start seemed to have at least 5 minutes of in-game(bryo) cutscenes hand feeding the player every character's motivations. It's definitely unique as far as mods go.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I guess what I mean, is it like still open world, but with the quests being linear/one sided and lots of cutscenes, or is it like hallways like FF10 or something.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

A story based mod is essentially fan fiction for video games, and there are a lot of common mistakes new/amateur writers make.

There's a pit that a lot of amateur writers fall into where they try to make everything "cinematic" because that's how they picture the events of their story in their mind when they're coming up with it. They don't want to leave anything they came up with up to interpretation because they're not confident in their abilities as a writer (Or in this case, a game developer also)

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

PinheadSlim posted:

A story based mod is essentially fan fiction for video games, and there are a lot of common mistakes new/amateur writers make.

There's a pit that a lot of amateur writers fall into where they try to make everything "cinematic" because that's how they picture the events of their story in their mind when they're coming up with it. They don't want to leave anything they came up with up to interpretation because they're not confident in their abilities as a writer (Or in this case, a game developer also)

The weird part of it being that they have this big opening playable series of cutscenes... but you can skip them all with a dialogue option. And the narrative is more compelling and the characters more interesting for doing it. They were so close to realizing this, and they did it by accident trying to give people the option to skip doing an opening more than once.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

When you do a Legion quick start in Frontier, turns out it fires a cript which auto-completes a bunch of Legion quests to gain Legion fame. That mucks up my plans :(

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What. Why. player.setreputation is not exactly a tough thing even for me, a moron, to use. Seems like a weird cudgel.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Bogart posted:

What. Why. player.setreputation is not exactly a tough thing even for me, a moron, to use. Seems like a weird cudgel.

The Frontier acknowledges at one point (and maybe others) things you've done for the Legion, on the presumption that, if you have positive reputation with them, you've clearly done some things. Which led to a goofy moment in me glancing at the Legion path on my character that mostly did it by doing the small Fort quests and turning in looted dog tags (that I didn't get by killing them) where the guy in charge goes "You fixed the howitzer at the Fort- You have done more for the Legion than I have."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Bogart posted:

My plan was to start a new character with a mostly clean save, join The Frontier Legion and run through that, then turn on a whole bunch of mods and do the Mojave Legion stuff

Ironslave posted:

The Frontier acknowledges at one point (and maybe others) things you've done for the Legion, on the presumption that, if you have positive reputation with them, you've clearly done some things. Which led to a goofy moment in me glancing at the Legion path on my character that mostly did it by doing the small Fort quests and turning in looted dog tags (that I didn't get by killing them) where the guy in charge goes "You fixed the howitzer at the Fort- You have done more for the Legion than I have."

One of the quests that auto completes is Arizona Killer of all things, which I suspect will break a lot of poo poo later on if I try to run through the Mojave quests

gently caress

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

this mod's spectacle is really funny considering The Battle of Hoover Dam is 5 ncr npcs shooting at like 3 legion npcs

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What mods are good for upgrading Melee combat

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

BLEED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I'm really digging it. The intro/getting you there could've been a little smoother. It's essentially a stand-alone tale, I don't see why they wouldn't just start you there to begin with. I just rolled with a preset character essentially. Some of the sudden jumps to cutscenes are a bit jarring too but otherwise this is really impressive given what it is. I'm not gonna lie though, patrolling these snowy urban ruins, it's making me want to play Wasteland 3.