Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not being snarky or anything, but I genuinely wonder how MCU fans who’ve never seen or hold no nostalgia for 50s/60s sitcoms received these episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not being snarky or anything, but I genuinely wonder how MCU fans who’ve never seen or hold no nostalgia for 50s/60s sitcoms received these episodes?

Being under 40 and not in the US reactions in my closest group have ranged from 'hate it' to 'don't care about any of this stuff but I will watch frame by frame for easter eggs and deep lore'.

Most of these people didn't like Guardians 2 (the undisputed best MCU content) because it didn't contribute sufficiently to the overarching plot. It's like a spreadsheet to them.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm in my early 30s and here in the UK they played a lot of Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie back in the 90s so I definitely got what they were going for.

I kind of wish Paul Bettany would've tried to pull off an old school BBC voice, much like Elizabeth Olsen's overegged 50s sitcom accent but you can't have everything.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm in my early 30s and here in the UK they played a lot of Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie back in the 90s so I definitely got what they were going for.

I kind of wish Paul Bettany would've tried to pull off an old school BBC voice, much like Elizabeth Olsen's overegged 50s sitcom accent but you can't have everything.

I feel like he'd have been better off trying to do a mid-Atlantic-y thing, full on RP would probably jar with the pastiche.

I think later episodes may play better, both as the metaplot unravels, but also some non-US audience are likely more familiar with your Full House/Family Ties/Roseanne/Married With Children era.

Speaking of, they gotta be doing Full House specifically, right? Probably too much to hope for Olsen to get her sisters to cameo, though

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Bettany was absolutely channelling Richard E. Grant's Withnail in the talent show scene.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well, even kids who have never seen old sitcoms have still seen modern ones, and the formula hasn't really changed any, so I'd imagine they get the joke in broad terms even if they miss all the specific references that us ancient 30 year olds get :)

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm loving the juxtaposition of the retro sitcom parody and the creepy narrative bits. Feels very surreal.

Kathryn Hahn is the star of the show so far.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hahn's good enough here that I may get over her not being the MCU's Doc Ock

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

If only they had a Toby Maguire cameo in the second episode, for both the Spider Man and the Pleasantville references

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Best two bits from ep 2:

"That was my Grandmother's piano."

"Is that how mirrors work?"

also:

"Flourish!"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Lol just saw an ad for this on tv that made it seem much more like a normal marvel thing. There was no hint of the sitcom element. That’s going to really confuse people.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

swickles posted:

Oh and Strucker got taken out in Agents of SHIELD back when the MCU and AoS were still coordinating. [/spoiler]

you're thinking of his son, the one who experimented on Wanda and Pietro was killed off in AOU

speaking of which, it would be pretty weird not to bring Aaron Taylor-Johnson back for at least an episode or two but I'm not quite convinced that's happening yet

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've only seen clips of those sitcoms and definitely don't hold any nostalgia for them, and my reaction is above (tl;dr: I mostly enjoyed it, not entirely sold on the decision to spend so much time playing the illusory sitcom reality straight but cautiously optimistic that it'll pay off in subsequent episodes)

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 16, 2021

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

it would be pretty weird not to bring Aaron Taylor-Johnson back for at least an episode or two but I'm not quite convinced that's happening yet

Oddly enough Evan Peters is apparently in the show, so Quicksilver might still show up... just not her Quicksilver.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Robot Style posted:

Oddly enough Evan Peters is apparently in the show, so Quicksilver might still show up... just not her Quicksilver.

I've heard, still just a rumor for now though

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Robot Style posted:

Maybe a meta-joke about recasting characters in sitcoms, maybe in the Roseanne-esque episode?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Watching the Legends episodes for both of them first is definitely a good idea, because it gives you context clues for what's happening in the show. It's kind of like how "Previously On" segments only ever show you the relevant parts you need to know for that particular episode. Wanda's Legends focuses a lot on her hatred of Stark, her reality-warping abilities, and her feelings of loss. Vision's Legends focuses a lot on him coming from JARVIS and the Mind Stone, and Wakanda's partial recovery. So between the two you can somewhat extrapolate why WandaVision is happening.

I enjoy it and I'm glad they're doing genre shenanigans, but I would NOT know how to explain this show to someone who isn't already a fan.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Really enjoying it so far. They really nailed the genre writing and there were some genuine laughs. The swing from normalcy to creeping dread has sold me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the first episode the choking scene felt like it became a Lynch film.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

muscles like this! posted:

I thought the same thing. I'm pretty surprised the first MCU show is so out there, it's obviously building to something much different but I'm impressed it's even this slow of a burn.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

This show is amazing so far. Mid 30s here so never grew up with this but know enough about sitcom tropes to be delighted at them, but the crazy part is that the first two episodes were just... very good sitcom episodes that just happen to include Avengers. Like take the sitcom episodes just by themselves and they were super entertaining. I thought from the trailers this was going to be a deconstruction or even mean-spirited towards sitcoms but instead they embraced them 100% and just asked what if Wanda and Vision were in one with their powers? I found them delightful.

Then add in the sprinklings of not-quite-right and it holds a ton of promise.

Honestly the entire show's premise hinges on "Can Olsen and Bettany carry this show on their backs" and oh man yes they can. Their chemistry is amazing and the actors honestly look like they're having the time of their lives on set. It's like giving a modern actor a chance to be in an episode of I love Lucy, and episode of Bewitched, and now an episode of the Brady Bunch, with presumably much more to come and they are loving it. Carrying the show, with Kathryn Hahn busting in perfectly.

Honestly I loved it. Completely unexpected and delightful and, unlike many of the "ooooh spooky mystery shows!" I've watched with my friends here in TVIV I trust the Marvel behemoth to actually have a plan of what's next.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Little correction: the first ep is 100% aiming for The Dick Van Dyke show, the opening sequence even directly references that show, in the same way the second episode's is a clear nod to Bewitched.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Robot Style posted:

The leading rumor I've heard regarding that is that Evan Peters is playing Mephisto. I definitely took notice of the exchange "The devil's in the details." "That's not the only place he is."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The first episode felt much more like a 50s sitcom episode than the second did a 60s sitcom episode. Outside of the magic show, almost every scene in episode 2 had people acting strange/not in sitcom mode.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

it's honestly crazy to think that after the longest MCU hiatus since its earliest days, we're getting new Marvel Studios content at least 30-odd weeks this year (the exact number will depend on things like premiere dates, episode counts, and multi-episode premieres that haven't been announced yet), and that it seems that Feige et al. have every intention of maintaining that cadence going forward. hopefully they haven't overextended themselves

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Personally I feel like the heavy use of hexagons plus the whole beekeeper bit leans into AIM pretty dang hard. I've seen some people say the hexagon is supposed to represent the mind gem, but that's more of an oblong hex than the perfect hex that keeps popping up throughout the first two eps. Although I guess it could just be playing into the fact that Wanda's powers are literally called "hex bolts".

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Well, in terms of "Memorable Vision moments" Paul Bettany doing Yakkaty Yak and Old McDonald pretty much beat every other previous Vision bit up to and including Vision grabbing Thor's hammer.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

It was really quite phenomenal. I was basically all in after that.

After months of torturing myself with new Star Treks, it feels good to be excited about a show again.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Obvious hint of the future. Rainbows are Visions. But only Illusions! It's time meet the Muppets, baby! Unified Disney Universe!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I just learned they filmed episode 1 in front of a live studio audience and I just mean come on props to them

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Barry Convex posted:

you're thinking of his son, the one who experimented on Wanda and Pietro was killed off in AOU

speaking of which, it would be pretty weird not to bring Aaron Taylor-Johnson back for at least an episode or two but I'm not quite convinced that's happening yet

There was this early ad, that I've heard people saying it was deleted, dunno if it's true, where Wanda and Vision's twins say something along the lines of not waking up an uncle that's sleeping in the living room or something. So everyone has been assuming Quicksilver is gonna show up. And there were also rumors of seeing Aaron Taylor-Johnson in the Disney/Marvel's offices. No one knows really what. Anyways it seems we are gonna have a Full House-styled episode and I'm gonna love the hell out of it.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
All I know is when they get to the Married With Children episode I better get a shot of Paul Bettany sitting on the couch with his hand in his pants. :colbert:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Now you've got me wanting a Wanda and Vision Mad About You episode.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Raere posted:

I feel like the first two episodes could've easily been combined into one. It was a struggle to maintain my attention, I needed more interesting things to happen.

I mean, they dropped them together so really, weren't they one episode? I think you need these together to really set up the cognitive dissonance that's going to start setting in from what we see in the trailers. By the time they get to The Brady Bunch, everyone who's not Wanda or Vision appears to have figured out that something weird is going on.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
First episode was very specifically doing The Dick Van Dyke Show, right down to the kitchen orientation. Anybody unfamiliar needs to at least see both versions of the opening credits before watching this, because Vision going through the chair had me laughing so hard I was worried about waking the neighbors. Also Wanda changing into pants mid-party is a thing because the network didn't like Mary Tyler Moore's slacks and instituted a hard limit on how often she was allowed to wear them, so Laura Petrie would occasionally walk into the kitchen and come back wearing different clothes.

Vision holding the meat tenderizer the same way he picked up Mjolnir got a solid laugh-snort.

Comics lore/movie casting spoilers: The beekeeper is totally AIM. I share other posters' hope for Swarm, but I'm pretty sure they even slipped the hexagon logo in there. Also it makes Viz's "Yes, but what does our company actually produce?" bit funnier if it's them. SWORD is 100% in the mix, but I think they're the good guys in this specific instance. Pretty sure that was Randall Park's voice coming over the radio, and I refuse to believe that Jimmy Woo would be on the wrong side of this one. Not sure where this is all physically occurring, but I imagine it's wherever Nick Fury currently is. Wanda and SWORD probably tried to Humpty-Dumpty Vision back together again when AIM took over whatever the hell process you would use to do that.

Geraldine is played by the same actress who is going to be adult Monica Rambeau in Captain Marvel 2, so it looks like they're reintroducing her in the most convoluted way possible.

Edit: Rewatching it and I realized I had called Geraldine the wrong name

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 16, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I wonder what sitcoms are they going to reference for the 00s or 10s.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Spacebump posted:

I'm imagining Vision doing a Jim Halpert face to the camera and now I must see this

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was hooked at the 2nd line of the first episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVSvQS9crHY

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Cast interviews have mentioned Malcolm in the Middle and Modern Family as influences on certain episodes.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

So the guy in the little commercial breaks is probably Mephisto right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"