Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
whoops double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
So I'm gonna try this again tomorrow, assuming I move my steel to the bottom rack, preheat it for an hour, is there anything else I need to do?

Should I parbake the crust? Should I turn down the temp from 550 to 500?

I did see this reply

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah if you parcook it next time it will probably turn out pretty good. i have no idea how those other guys don't parcook big sheets unless the crust is really thin but anything that involves the dough touching cold metal when it goes in the oven is a good indicator that a parcook will help

But I was looking around and almost no recipe except for Forkish's seems to call for this so I'm a little confused

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Leave the rack in the same place and preheat the full time. Parcook dough and sauce at 550 until the crust is set but not browned on top, the bottom may or may not have brown spots. Maybe ~7 minutes but probably a little bit less. Pull and top, bake till the toppings look good.

You might be able to move the rack lower and avoid the parcook but if you're just using the same recipe a 2nd time it might not be enough for you if it was still really doughy the first time. A lot of recipes avoid it because frankly it's more work and it kinda sucks to top a hot pizza and sheet pan but it gives you a different kind of control over the cooking process you don't get trying to bake it all in one go.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

Leave the rack in the same place and preheat the full time. Parcook dough and sauce at 550 until the crust is set but not browned on top, the bottom may or may not have brown spots. Maybe ~7 minutes but probably a little bit less. Pull and top, bake till the toppings look good.

You might be able to move the rack lower and avoid the parcook but if you're just using the same recipe a 2nd time it might not be enough for you if it was still really doughy the first time. A lot of recipes avoid it because frankly it's more work, but it gives you a different kind of control over the cooking process you don't get trying to bake it all in one go.

What do you think about lowering the temp to like 450-500?

edit: whoops lol you already said 550 there

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You'd have to bake it longer, might get a little less rise out of the dough and less browning on the crust surface but you'll have more time for the dough to set and more time for the toppings. I like my crust to be nicely browned so I get my oven as hot as I can but you can adjust it to your preference.

I made this simple pepperoni and garlic last night and it was amazing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Imho parbaking is only appropriate if you're going to be putting it on a grill rack or making your own frozen pizzas.

Your dough was just raw in comparison because you had a massive heat sink on the dough. My steel takes over an hour to get to a 500 temp and you want that dough frying in the oil at 500 asap. Throw a lb of room temp stuff on the steel too and you're looking at it taking even longer. My bet is the steel wasn't even 400 at the end of your bake.

If you are resolved to go a parbake route start on a low rack and move it to the top towards the end when you want to brown your cheese. If you start at 550 you will want to drop the temp at some point or enjoy a very smoky kitchen.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

After many months baking good but pale pizzas i just realized i can pop the pizza into the broiler drawer in the bottom to get a decent browning/toasting on top the last 45ish seconds. Argh

Whoever designed a modern oven with bottom only heating, screw you.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I parbaked for 6 mins and cooked for 8 mins today after heating the oven for an hour at 550, bottom still wasn't really crisp in the middle, so I think next time I'm gonna have to add a couple mins more of parbaking. Still no idea how this would work if I didn't parbake because the cheese was about as done as I like it by the end of the 8 mins of cooking so if I had cooked it for 14 mins total it would have just been obliterated again.

Upon reheating a slice on the steel though it finished crisping up and was very good.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Sorry for the goofy iPhone pics but it's all I had on me. Yesterday was really good, a sourdough sellout day!

Pepperoni

The Nancy Silverton - San Marzano tomatoes, oregano, fresh garlic, fresh burrata, malden sea salt, cracked pepper, basil, olive oil

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Kenji's Detroit Pizza is my indoor standby when I can't or won't fire up wood-fired oven so I have some things to say.

I use ~9x13 aluminum half-sheet pans and still bake 12-15 minutes per the original recipe. This is despite scaling the recipe by ~44% to factor the increased surface area. I've forgotten to do this and the results are terrible. I don't use any stones nor steels. The half-sheet goes into the middle rack. I bake for the full time because I want "extra crispy."

The first thing I'd check is the actual baking temperature. Could it actually be running hot? The second thing would be to put the sauce on top of the cheese instead of the cheese on top of the sauce (for a Detroit pizza).

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

ogopogo posted:

Sorry for the goofy iPhone pics but it's all I had on me. Yesterday was really good, a sourdough sellout day!

Pepperoni

The Nancy Silverton - San Marzano tomatoes, oregano, fresh garlic, fresh burrata, malden sea salt, cracked pepper, basil, olive oil

:eyepop:

Beautiful...

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Kenji's Detroit Pizza is my indoor standby when I can't or won't fire up wood-fired oven so I have some things to say.

I use ~9x13 aluminum half-sheet pans and still bake 12-15 minutes per the original recipe. This is despite scaling the recipe by ~44% to factor the increased surface area. I've forgotten to do this and the results are terrible. I don't use any stones nor steels. The half-sheet goes into the middle rack. I bake for the full time because I want "extra crispy."

The first thing I'd check is the actual baking temperature. Could it actually be running hot? The second thing would be to put the sauce on top of the cheese instead of the cheese on top of the sauce (for a Detroit pizza).

Do you normally put the sauce on top of the cheese on yours? I mean I can do that I just thought other people weren't and still not having their cheese burn. I'm fine with par-baking to be honest and it came out alright, it's more of just confusion at this point where I just want to figure out why other people can manage to cook theirs for 14 minutes as you say without all the cheese just being totally burned as I see on youtubes and whatnot, whereas you saw how mine looked after even only 12.

Especially since I think my crust actually needs a bit more than 14 mins total time, or seems to, to actually get the bottom to be crispy. I'm using a full sheet pan though so I mean I guess the heat takes the longest to get to the middle from the outside.

It's possible my oven is hot but I don't really think so, it doesn't cook any faster for non-pan pizzas than anyone else seems to, it still takes like 5-6 minutes to cook one.

Lowering the temperature was something I considered though, like maybe if I preheat the oven to 550 and let the steel get to 550 but then cook it at 500 or 475 or something so the air is only that hot, maybe the cheese won't burn but the crust will still cook from the heat left over in the stone going through the pan.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Previously when I've put mushrooms on pizza, I precook them to draw out the moisture. Is there any other topping where that is a benefit for moisture control purposes?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lots of veggies benefit from precooking imo. Onions, peppers, asparagus, broccoli, potato, etc. I put a lot of my leftovers on pizzas

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
For like onions or peppers can I just toss them on a sheet pan and roast them for a few mins? With mushrooms i usually do it on a pan on the stove top with butter but i don't think that will work as well with other veggies

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I just sauté them on the stovetop if I want to drive off moisture. It’s quick and takes only a minute or so.

I really don’t like mushy peppers so don’t expect a crunch unless you just add them for a minute or so right to the pizza. Nothing worse than a pointlessly watery pizza.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I made some pizzas

Didn't tear the edges but my square pizza didn't quite reach the corners so I didn't get the edges I liked there. Dang tasty though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Stefan Prodan posted:

So I'm gonna try this again tomorrow, assuming I move my steel to the bottom rack, preheat it for an hour, is there anything else I need to do?

I've always kept my steel at the bottom rack, so when not in use it just works to even out the ovens temperature fluctuations.

So people use the steel on the top rack...

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've always kept my steel at the bottom rack, so when not in use it just works to even out the ovens temperature fluctuations.

So people use the steel on the top rack...

I was using it on the top before because I was doing the Forkish method of par baking the crust and then finishing it by broiling for 3 mins or so (with a directly on-steel pizza, not pan)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah I googled that and it looks like too much effort for me to be honest. When I make a "real" pizza I just take place the pizza on the steel on the bottom rack, and I never make less than 5 pizzas if I go through the trouble of making real pizza so I have kind of an assembly line going and can't be too attentive so small details like changing modes on the oven between pizzas. Just leave the oven on max all the time and let it preheat so the steel is hot.

Last night I made a square pan pizza instead, since I got hungry for one of those after reading about it. Way easier, much less mess, and came out tasty, used a simple 60% hydration dough with extra olive oil. I didn't cook the dough separately. Middle rack with the steel in the bottom rack, 200C (reduced to 170C after a while to prevent the cheese from overbrowning) for 25 minutes and it was done, cheese was just fine and the crust cooked through.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Detroit style pizza with the pan directly on the steel, half pepperoni, half sausage, olive, giardiniera, probably a 14 minute bake.

Also paired with Michael Mann's Thief.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Human Tornada posted:

Detroit style pizza with the pan directly on the steel, half pepperoni, half sausage, olive, giardiniera, probably a 14 minute bake.

Also paired with Michael Mann's Thief.

:wow:

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Salami Pizza with cow milk mozzarella, Pecorino and EVO.

It turned out a bit small and unfortunately the Salami lost a lot of fat and sogged the whole Pizza...also I forgot to buy Basil.

Tasted great anyway!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Detroit style for tonight

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Dacap posted:

Detroit style for tonight

that looks unreal good

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
oh hell yes pizza time.

i forgot in my years away from the forums how much i love GWS and how it makes me up my food game

for contribution, a few pizzas from over the summer in my weber with pizzacue attachment.

i've moved back to the oven now that it's cold

i mostly have been basing my dough around the basic one from Pizza Camp

anchovies, spinach, and red onion

bonus shots of the setup

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Is there a consensus on best/cheapest Detroit style pizza pan? Looking at stuff on amazon and they all kind of look the same

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Lloyd pans, 100%. This guy's an amazing pan: https://www.amazon.com/LloydPans-Kitchenware-Detroit-Pre-Seasoned-Resistant/dp/B01FY5PHIK

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Sweet thanks!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Probably not the cheapest pan, but I definitely noticed the biggest improvement in my crust once I got one. The results are just so good.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Double bonus post, but the pan works amazingly well for other stuff too. Just used it for focaccia:
http://imgur.com/a/58cxELB

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It's a good pan.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
+1 I'm making Detroit pizza tomorrow with mine

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Can you dishwasher it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PokeJoe posted:

Can you dishwasher it?

It's hard anodized aluminum, should not be a problem.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Stefan Prodan posted:

Do you normally put the sauce on top of the cheese on yours? I mean I can do that I just thought other people weren't and still not having their cheese burn. I'm fine with par-baking to be honest and it came out alright, it's more of just confusion at this point where I just want to figure out why other people can manage to cook theirs for 14 minutes as you say without all the cheese just being totally burned as I see on youtubes and whatnot, whereas you saw how mine looked after even only 12.

Especially since I think my crust actually needs a bit more than 14 mins total time, or seems to, to actually get the bottom to be crispy. I'm using a full sheet pan though so I mean I guess the heat takes the longest to get to the middle from the outside.

It's possible my oven is hot but I don't really think so, it doesn't cook any faster for non-pan pizzas than anyone else seems to, it still takes like 5-6 minutes to cook one.

Lowering the temperature was something I considered though, like maybe if I preheat the oven to 550 and let the steel get to 550 but then cook it at 500 or 475 or something so the air is only that hot, maybe the cheese won't burn but the crust will still cook from the heat left over in the stone going through the pan.

I'm sorry I didn't respond to this. I didn't really think there was one waiting for me.

I should say that I had no baking stone or steel involved at all when following Kenji's recipe.

You wrote that you're using a full sheet pan, which is too large for a regular home oven. I'm assuming that's not what you meant. His recipe is meant for a 10x14 pan, which is around the dimensions of normal US baking dishes give-or-take an inch here or there. I'm using larger half-sheet pans, which are 18x13, and I scale the dough. Funnily, my math isn't working out how I'd scale 10x14 to 18x13. My notes scaled the recipe assuming 8x8 to 13x9 haha. I think I saw the cake pans thing and just assume the original recipe just handles one of them. So I've been baking it a little bit thinner.

I see the sauce put on top with the local Detroit place and I've seen it endorsed elsewhere so I just went with it. It doesn't seem to kill the sauce either.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i pizza'd last week. pesto, except i was out of pine nuts and parmesan at the time, so used cashews and marmite. honestly worked super well. found a mixed bowl of corn and peas in the fridge, as well as some leftover chicken, so i tossed it on top. most of the pizzas i make are an excuse to use up leftovers.

cooked in about five and a half minutes in my oven. probably could have done it in less but i put rather too much cheese on it since i shredded too much and didn't want to bother putting what was left back in the fridge. i used a bit of a preferment in this dough but it was about 90 minutes total from making the dough to pulling it out of the oven.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm sorry I didn't respond to this. I didn't really think there was one waiting for me.

I should say that I had no baking stone or steel involved at all when following Kenji's recipe.

You wrote that you're using a full sheet pan, which is too large for a regular home oven. I'm assuming that's not what you meant. His recipe is meant for a 10x14 pan, which is around the dimensions of normal US baking dishes give-or-take an inch here or there. I'm using larger half-sheet pans, which are 18x13, and I scale the dough. Funnily, my math isn't working out how I'd scale 10x14 to 18x13. My notes scaled the recipe assuming 8x8 to 13x9 haha. I think I saw the cake pans thing and just assume the original recipe just handles one of them. So I've been baking it a little bit thinner.

I see the sauce put on top with the local Detroit place and I've seen it endorsed elsewhere so I just went with it. It doesn't seem to kill the sauce either.

Oh yeah I forgot the term full sheet pan meant something specific for like restaurant/catering size stuff

Yeah I guess it was a 10x14 probably

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

mediaphage posted:

i pizza'd last week. pesto, except i was out of pine nuts and parmesan at the time, so used cashews and marmite.

This surely needs more explanation. You used marmite pesto as a pizza topping? You also used it in a sentence like it's a common occurrence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rooted Vegetable posted:

This surely needs more explanation. You used marmite pesto as a pizza topping? You also used it in a sentence like it's a common occurrence

in small amounts i think it offers a lot of the same flavour notes as a strong parmesan. i didn't have any pine nuts, so i used cashews. i didn't have any parmesan, so i put in a dollop of marmite to get that salty, umami flavour profile.