Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shear Modulus posted:

swiss cheese is the one with holes in it

which one of the many Swiss cheeses with holes in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

swiss cheese is the lovely american version of emmental, but which is sometimes an even worse fake processed cheese product

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

oliwan posted:

Kraft singles are not cheese op, and also you really have to be american to think they go good with anything

also wtf is "swiss"

don't you brits claim to speak english, Swiss is a denonym for things that come from Switzerland

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it is true that american 'swiss' cheese is always awful but that doesn't stop it from being another common variety in addition to the kraft singles

edit: and lol @ brits finding a food they don't like. no nation has 'English Food' on the menu, chums, and for good reason. your poo-pooing of american cheese is projection

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Jan 16, 2021

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
British blue cheese is good

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Haramstufe Rot posted:

copy of Gruyere I think
It's an Emmental copy I think. Gruyere would be far to strong for the american palate.

quote:

Oliwan I'll have you know that old Gouda is the best cheese on the planet

This is correct. Aged Gouda with the crystals in it mmmmm.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Haramstufe Rot posted:

copy of Gruyere I think

Oliwan I'll have you know that old Gouda is the best cheese on the planet

actual Gruyere would have too much flavour for the american palate. it was my fave when I still ate cheese

yes old Dutch cheese is also very good!!!

everyone please do watch out for 'old amsterdam' cheese tho, because its not actually aged. it's fake.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Anything funny happen with Brexit yet

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Stuff like this makes me realise how much I know about the original Scottish parliament. And what I do know I only found out in the last month, like at dissolution there were 2 major parties, The Court Party and Squadrone Volante, that it was unicameral, and based on the three estates. Not even how prickly it could be, refusing to raise taxes to ransom one of the Kings for example.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1350081068083392512?s=20

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1350176020066947072?s=20

quote:

A fish auction in Hanstholm on Denmark’s west coast has so far this year sold 525 tonnes of fish from Scottish fishing vessels, more than double compared to the same period last year.

“We’ve had an awful lot of inquiries from Scottish fishermen about landing their catch in Hanstholm,” Jesper Kongsted, who heads the auction, told Reuters on Friday. “This is very good for our business.”

“Some are now making a 72-hour round trip to land fish in Denmark, as the only way to guarantee that their catch will make a fair price and actually find its way to market while still fresh enough to meet customer demands,” Macdonald said.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

oliwan posted:

actual Gruyere would have too much flavour for the american palate. it was my fave when I still ate cheese

yes old Dutch cheese is also very good!!!

everyone please do watch out for 'old amsterdam' cheese tho, because its not actually aged. it's fake.

I literally used to ride my bike to the low countries to buy dat dere good chese on the market

can't imagine being separated from good cheese by things like borders man that would suck

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
a lot of stones being thrown by british culinary glass houses here

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crepeface posted:

a lot of stones being thrown by british culinary glass houses here

If there is ONE thing british producesrs do well, it is letting milk rot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can get pretty much any kind of cheese in the us, both imported or made domestically. it's not difficult or inordinately expensive. that said, there certainly are plenty of americans that consider kraft singles as the primary form of cheese. it's hosed up, but that's still pretty mild as far as cheese crimes go.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you can get pretty much any kind of cheese in the us, both imported or made domestically. it's not difficult or inordinately expensive. that said, there certainly are plenty of americans that consider kraft singles as the primary form of cheese. it's hosed up, but that's still pretty mild as far as cheese crimes go.

what are some worse cheese crimes op, go on

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1349111202912342020?s=20

seems fine

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
there’s that maggot filled cheese which is literally criminal

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol I decide to check qcs for once and bam the most epic qcs thread ever is happening as we speak , with some absolute bangers by thread favourite hakimashou too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They're just introduced people to the delicacy of Casu Marzu

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Northern Ireland should be part of the republic and if it takes a traumatic exposure to british mainland rule to get the unionist Irish to understand that then good.

Sorry all this terrible stuff had to happen but you had your chance to unite with the rest of the island earlier and weren't willing to press the envelop all the way so now you've got to deal with both your gently caress up and our gently caress up.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

sleep with the vicious posted:

Anything funny happen with Brexit yet

the sex arse thing and the guy having his contraband ham sandwich confiscated by customs were both pretty funny

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

namesake posted:

Northern Ireland should be part of the republic and if it takes a traumatic exposure to british mainland rule to get the unionist Irish to understand that then good.

Sorry all this terrible stuff had to happen but you had your chance to unite with the rest of the island earlier and weren't willing to press the envelop all the way so now you've got to deal with both your gently caress up and our gently caress up.

doesnt dublin not really want to take the six counties back because british underinvestment has made a potential reintegration basically the european version of how much south korea would have to spend to reintegrate north korea

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

namesake posted:

tbh I don't think that's going to have a huge impact on any but the most uncommitted unionists, who have already been wavering since the Brexit vote. Unionism hasn't been based in confidence in the good intentions and competence of British governments for a long time, to the extent that separatism was actually popular for a while amongst hardcore loyalists. It's grounded in a cultural affinity for the union (with Scotland more than anything, really) and spite towards themmuns.

Shear Modulus posted:

doesnt dublin not really want to take the six counties back because british underinvestment has made a potential reintegration basically the european version of how much south korea would have to spend to reintegrate north korea

I'm sure that's what a good chunk of the powers that be in Dublin think, but it's not really up to them. Per the terms of the GFA, if a referendum is called in NI, one is called in the republic as well, and by all indications unification would win.

Bryter has issued a correction as of 02:59 on Jan 16, 2021

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
MY NORTHERN IRISH FRIEND hates England but actually also isn't too fond of the Republic on account of how neo liberal it is

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

maybe the rest of the EU will chip in on development because “gently caress england “

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Shear Modulus posted:

It's bad but an unavoidable point yes, integration is costly and unpopular in the short term. The Uk and Ireland papered over the differences and a tiredness of sectarian bombing replaced with investment outside of England but oh well! Here's Brexit to satisfy the rightwing base and suddenly Ireland returns to being a subjucated colony.

Bryter posted:

tbh I don't think that's going to have a huge impact on any but the most uncommitted unionists, who have already been wavering since the Brexit vote. Unionism hasn't been based in confidence in the good intentions and competence of British governments for a long time, to the extent that separatism was actually popular for a while amongst hardcore loyalists. It's grounded in a cultural affinity for the union (with Scotland more than anything, really) and spite towards themmuns.

Yeah in a real politick sense it was a terrible idea to allow Northern Ireland to remain part of the UK rather than they be terrorist separatists in the Republic of Ireland but here we are. The UK loving loved borders and can't retreat and that's part of why we're such an awful country.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

the sex arse thing and the guy having his contraband ham sandwich confiscated by customs were both pretty funny

that cop took that sandwich home to feed his starvign family. 100% this happened

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

PM bojo promises "meat for Christmas!"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Communist Thoughts posted:

PM bojo promises "meat for Christmas!"
"Looks like meat’s back on the menu, boys."

Twist on the cod wars: Scotland to fall under Danish sovereignty.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/billatnapier/status/1342935639663259648?s=20

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i think this got posted already? still lol and they're going to be so amazed when they get napster

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Bryter posted:

there’s that maggot filled cheese which is literally criminal

also this

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

oliwan posted:

what are some worse cheese crimes op, go on

Spray on cheese. That's a thing in America, right?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Shear Modulus posted:

Correct.
Am from NI, and it will be a loving economic nightmare for the Republic to take back Northern Ireland.
Its not just changing the flag and road signs like a lot think.
You have to change the money, laws, healthcare, education system, and a poo poo load of other things.
Take healthcare. 1.8 million in Northern Ireland. Removed from the UK NHS and placed onto the Republics health insurance.
Lot of NI patients suddenly have to pay tens of thousands for medicine that was free to them on the NHS.

Better off if NI became its own little weird multi-country. More and more are not seeing ourselves are either Irish or British.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Don't worry they won't stay free on the NHS for long

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/16/i-thrived-on-the-tension-and-drama-of-british-politics-then-i-had-a-heart-attack

The Brexit dividend will be paid in dead Grauniad hacks

The timing of this work stress piece from a journalist seems a teeny bit insensitive - just me?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Shogi posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/16/i-thrived-on-the-tension-and-drama-of-british-politics-then-i-had-a-heart-attack

The Brexit dividend will be paid in dead Grauniad hacks

The timing of this work stress piece from a journalist seems a teeny bit insensitive - just me?

jesus christ lol

quote:

It pained me, too, that there was no consolation in the party I had always supported. There had been antisemitism on the left before 2015, when Jeremy Corbyn became leader, but under him the party was more hospitable to the prejudice. Corbyn was a magnet for every ultra-left crank and fanatic whose fixation on the evils of “Zionism” shaded into conspiracy theories about Jews plotting behind the scenes, pulling the financial strings of a puppet government.

Observing that trend was grim enough, but the stressful part was writing about it amid a culture of indifference that permeated the wider British left. To criticise Corbyn in print was to invite a torrent of abuse online. His hardcore supporters said the charge of antisemitism was itself a devious plot against the leader, more evidence of the conspiracy. The more squeamish fellow-travellers agreed that the whole thing stank, but held their noses anyway and campaigned for Labour.

That complicity animated a pungent hereditary fear: no matter how rooted Jews felt in a country, a movement, a culture, one day there will come along a mob carrying tools to dig us up, telling us we don’t truly belong. It is the cautionary tale our grandparents told about keeping a suitcase packed and a passport close at hand. “At least we are finding out who would have hidden us in their attic,” one Jewish friend said to me. We laughed because it wasn’t even a joke.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

twoday posted:

British blue cheese is good

unpasteurized stilton :discourse:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

jesus christ lol

What can you say

Adbot