Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It's a very interesting story and it's going to completely suck when it's time to flip the switch and reset everything back to square one for the umpteenth time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Idle curiosity, how are, like, the Avengers or, I dunno, the rest of humanity dealing with mutants being functionally immortal? I mean, quite terribly, obviously, but you’d think that’d cause an existential crisis or something. As much as we handwave comics deaths away, that’s a whole new level of “eh, but a door, blah blah blah” for one subset of the population but not the rest.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They probably lock them in that interdimensional prison from Civil War. You can live forever, in THE HOLE!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I hate that I'm now interested in the X-Men, because I only noticed their poo poo went buck-wild about a year after it started. And now it's COMPLETELY nuts in ways I love, but I can barely understand it when it comes up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Read HoxPox and then just read the comics you're interested in after that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
except fallen angels, of course. no one should read that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Idle curiosity, how are, like, the Avengers or, I dunno, the rest of humanity dealing with mutants being functionally immortal? I mean, quite terribly, obviously, but you’d think that’d cause an existential crisis or something. As much as we handwave comics deaths away, that’s a whole new level of “eh, but a door, blah blah blah” for one subset of the population but not the rest.
I imagine it hasn't been going on long enough for it to really make a cultural impact. It obviously would in ten, twenty, thirty years but I'm not sure it's even been one year in-universe.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they have been moderately successful at keeping that fact secret despite it not being a secret at all to mutants.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

S.W.O.R.D. #002 (2021)

Have I mentioned you should be reading the X-comics?

Is his mutation finishing a poo poo in 2mins? :thunk:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
She can tell that at that point he's just dilly-dallying in there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

who among us

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Is there a rule against saying that you are sitting on the John while posting?

Asking for a friend.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Is there a rule against saying that you are sitting on the John while posting?

Asking for a friend.

Some threads are more open to shitposting than others.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #27 (1942)

Superboy #66 (1958)
This character doesn't appear again, and Clark's not making a joke. It's just some rando kid named Johnny Carson.

Rocky and His Fiendish Friends #3 (1963)

The Defenders #20 (1975)

Power Man #64 (1980)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Darthemed posted:

Power Man #64 (1980)

Whoa that's Iron Fist? I couldn't tell with the disguise!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Push El Burrito posted:

He got the idea from a giant mutated turtle.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Thaddius the Large posted:

Besides one conversation between Black Panther and Storm, they’ve kept the Avengers away from the X books. They don’t want to tease another Avengers vs X-Men until the time is right.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Open Marriage Night posted:

Besides one conversation between Black Panther and Storm, they’ve kept the Avengers away from the X books. They don’t want to tease another Avengers vs X-Men until the time is right.

This is probably for the best

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
The Immortal She-Hulk one shot had a brief exchange between She-Hulk and Wolverine. They were fighting a mutant called Tantrum, and Wolverine straight killed him to She-Hulk's surprise. He mentioned Krakoa has "healers" that can fix him up, so it's looking like the Avengers, or anyone else, don't really know all the details about the whole functional immortality thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

Achually it's Kit Walker

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Darthemed posted:

Rocky and His Fiendish Friends #3 (1963)

Is there actually an egg rolling contest in Ottawa? Or is it a sandwich joke?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They did before Covid. I don't think they'll do it this year.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Egg[rolling] is more fun - It's good!

edit: Spider-Woman #8

Gee I wonder who Stegron's talking to?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 15, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nessus posted:

According to Magneto, noted right-be-er, the mutant plan is to use capitalist methods from their magical mutant island to gradually squash the flatscans into either not being racist assholes, or into being self-policing racist assholes dependent on mutant beneficience to continue having their current standard of living. Krakoa seems to be a Star Trek style soft post scarcity where there are presumably limits on some things (notably, resurrection throughput) but there isn't want for the standard requirements of life, either through general Krakoa beneficence or because you can just go find a mutant with a relevant power to do you a solid if you need it.

That certainly is how they are selling it to themselves. But it sounds like all Magneto and Charles have done is become Centrists with a large number of Right wing Neo-Cons in the cabinet.
Then again from reading HoX and PoX, one of the underlying themes always was that Charles Dream this time would fail because they were more human than they'd like to admit*.

* = Which is also why they'll never be wiped out.

Skwirl posted:

I mean, read Marauders if you wanna know what's up with Shinobi Shaw. But basically people in the upper management of the fledgling government get to skip the line and others are allowed to skip the line if the government wants them too.

Capitalist failsons have to be protected by the new system.
Sounds right

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Journey into Mystery #29 (1955)

Fantastic Four #39 (1965)

(later)

The Sensational She-Hulk #19 (1990)

Web of Spider-Man #6 (2010)

Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #13 (2018)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Fantastic Four #176

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shazam #1

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #10 (1982)

Snake-Eyes really doesn't like apples, I guess.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

SimonChris posted:

I remember reading this as a kid and wondering why Snake Eyes hated apples.
Those early GI Joe comics were way weird.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Bucnasti posted:

I remember reading this as a kid and wondering why Snake Eyes hated apples.
Those early GI Joe comics were way weird.

My favourite part is Cobra Commander himself having no idea what the point is and just letting his subordinates do whatever. A good leader doesn't micromanage.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

SimonChris posted:

I don't know if you're joking or not, but that's not what's happening. The brain-wave scanner, every time it's used on someone new, has to learn that person's mental vocabulary, so to speak - which brain patterns correspond to real-world images and ideas and so on. So it's basically just reading a picture dictionary at him very quickly.

It's also very painful to be in the scanner, which is why he looks so aggrieved by apples.

:goonsay: :goonsay: :goonsay:

Darthemed posted:

The Defenders #20 (1975)

The Thing / Valkyrie / harmonica story is really good.

Man, I miss 2000s-era comics blogging sometimes.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pastry of the Year posted:

I don't know if you're joking or not, but that's not what's happening. The brain-wave scanner, every time it's used on someone new, has to learn that person's mental vocabulary, so to speak - which brain patterns correspond to real-world images and ideas and so on. So it's basically just reading a picture dictionary at him very quickly.

It's also very painful to be in the scanner, which is why he looks so aggrieved by apples.

:goonsay: :goonsay: :goonsay:

Yes, I know that's what they are doing, but subsequent panels show him in the machine without the pained expression. Compare and contrast:

He is clearly reacting to the presence of the apple :eng101:.

Yes, I am joking :).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Electrodes attached to Wendell's head are recording his brain-wave reaction to the image on his desk."

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

SimonChris posted:

Yes, I know that's what they are doing, but subsequent panels show him in the machine without the pained expression. Compare and contrast:

He is clearly reacting to the presence of the apple :eng101:.

Yes, I am joking :).

I JUST GOT REAL EXCITED TO TALK ABOUT THE BRAIN-WAVE SCANNER

also yeah I am tone deaf sometimes :downs:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's pretty obvious that his name should be Dr. Snake Eyes.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Our Flag Comics #2 (1941)

Superboy #67 (1958)

Strange Tales #94 (1962)

Spidey Super Stories #23 (1977)

Damage Control #3 (1991)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
WHATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER, WHEN THE LARGEST ARMOUR IN THE WORLD TEAMS WITH THE GREEN GOLIATH, THE GOD OF THUNDER AND THE STAR SPANGLED MAN WITH THE PLAN?!? WHATCHA GONNA DO, ULTRON, WHEN STARKAMANIA RUNS WILD ON YOOOUUUU!?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Savage Avengers #15:

bonus, enjoy Wolverine in a tacky drug kingpin outfit!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Deadpool: Samurai It's a Deadpool manga.

(Right to Left)

Also Venom is attached to an Idol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Strange Tales #93 (1962)