Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

little munchkin posted:

basically my goal is to get whatever resources are missing from my main island for artisan goods. my last attempt had an island that was just red pepper farms and stuff to sustain the farmers but my economy collapsed while very slowly making canned goods on my main

I doubt your money problems were due to that island then. If you're running out of money when building up artisans, build a bunch more workers first. Also or alternately, overproduce a worker resource like soap or beer that can be sold for a good price. Stacks of soap will net you ~$20,000 each to Eli, it's a great way to supplement income early to mid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

little munchkin posted:

just got into this game (1800), could anyone give me some tips on when/how to expand? I've had to reset a few times because every time i start a second island, either on the main map or the new world, my upkeep costs skyrocket and i go broke. I've tried building up a huge stockpile of artisans on my main isle beforehand but that has not seemed to be enough

Make excess soap and sell it to Eli to stop going broke. Be sure to set a minimum in your warehouse so your ships don't take all of your soap. Money problem solved. One does wonder if this solution is going to last through the next set of changes, but in the meantime go hog wild :)

!ninja'd :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sorry to be spamming the thread with 2070 troubleshooting questions, but I've run into another odd situation.

I've settled tycoons on an island and am up to tier 4. However, I seem to have hit a weird bottleneck with promotions: my engineers (tier 3) are unhappy because they're not getting food. Specifically, they're not getting burgers. My executives are. My employees are. My warehouses are full to the brim with burgers. The engineers are getting all their fish, luxury food, and champagne. They just don't seem to be getting burgers specifically.

Anyone have any ideas?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Did you specifically tell the engineers to not eat burgers on accident?

I forgot if that was a feature in 2070...

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Alkydere posted:

yeah it is, same as in 1800 you can cut off all supplies of a particular good only to a particular population class on an island. No Beer for the blocks of Artisan houses you have yet to outsource to a commuter island, when you could be feeding it to Engineers who will pay more and such; really only useful in liminal spaces where production or delivery isn't quite enough to keep up with demand, almost guaranteed to result in some kind of problem later on resulting from setting and forgetting. Or hotkey-clicking the satisfaction bar in a housing info pane, maybe without even realizing that happened, or is a thing which could in any way lead to your spending awhile frustratedly trying to track down the difficulty before going to the internet to look for a solution.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

little munchkin posted:

basically my goal is to get whatever resources are missing from my main island for artisan goods. my last attempt had an island that was just red pepper farms and stuff to sustain the farmers but my economy collapsed while very slowly making canned goods on my main

Make sure you keep up with luxuries as well, as they provide a lot of your income. If people aren't getting enough luxuries, they won't be unhappy, but you're missing out on a lot of money, and if your economy is already on a knife edge it doesn't take much to plummet.

So yeah as other people said:
- use the stats screen to balance your production ratios, don't overproduce
- early on sell soap to Eli
- hold off on building up expensive industries like steel beams, it's pretty efficient to just buy what you need from Archibald for quite a while

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Looks like it! I clicked the burger icon on their food needs and that told them to stop eating burgers for God knows what reason.

Edit: And Trenchcoat had the prototype I need for hydroelectric power! Hooray!

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 16, 2021

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

webmeister posted:

- use the stats screen to balance your production ratios, don't overproduce
- early on sell soap to Eli

did these two things and have successfully started shipping red peppers to my main. a new world colony is also set up and developing nicely, looking forward to going bankrupt again in the future for a new reason that i am too dumb to understand. thanks to everyone for the advice

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 16, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Good news is, I did get bionic suit production up and running. Bad news is, the trade route travel time from Thule to University Base with the underwater components and the factory cycle time with those underwater components is longer than the consumption cycle for the suits so these idiots are periodically dipping down into unhappiness and starting to move out before the factories finish churning out new bionic suits.

These moronic 'geniuses' won't stop me from building the tech monument, but drat if the techs more than either primary faction feel like herding a collective of ADHD cats.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

little munchkin posted:

did these two things and have successfully started shipping red peppers to my main. a new world colony is also set up and developing nicely, looking forward to going bankrupt again in the future for a new reason that i am too dumb to understand. thanks to everyone for the advice

You can see your full budget if you mouse over the profit number in the top bar. The two things you might run into are ship maintenance if you build a lot of warships and royal taxes, which are taxes that kick in once you have 1000 residents of a given type on a single island and that go up for every 150 more. I don't really understand the point of royal taxes; I guess it's supposed to encourage you to build towns on every island and make commuter piers even more expensive, but given that some of the rare fertilities only seem to show up on tiny islands, it's just a pain in the rear end.

I find it especially annoying because trade routes that aren't just "dump everything I produce" are a huge pain and constantly break themselves. For example, I was exporting tortillas from island A and importing cotton from B, in order to send it off to the old world. After an hour or so, I noticed that the supply of cotton had dried up. The clipper on the trade route from A to B had all four holds filled up with tortillas - 12, 4, 2, and 1 tons, respectively. I have no idea why it didn't merge them. The reason this happened was that I had slightly overestimated the demand for tortillas on island B, which had filled up, and so the clipper couldn't unload all of the goddamn tacos anymore. Why it filled up all four holds instead of merging the stacks is beyond me.

There should just be a setting to load as many of a good as were consumed since the last trip, or something. Making you manually pick an exact quantity to load is annoying and stupid, especially since sailing ships have unpredictable travel times.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

eXXon posted:

... The clipper on the trade route from A to B had all four holds filled up with tortillas - 12, 4, 2, and 1 tons, respectively. I have no idea why it didn't merge them. ... Why it filled up all four holds instead of merging the stacks is beyond me.

Am I misunderstanding the scenario, but aren't trade routes set up by hold slots in the vessel?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Teledahn posted:

Am I misunderstanding the scenario, but aren't trade routes set up by hold slots in the vessel?

Yes. I had 1/4 slots on the trade route for loading tortillas. I have no idea how it ended up with tortillas in all four slots. It should have slowly filled up to 50 and then ideally stopped loading, or at worst started loading up a second free hold.

Any way, the gist of my gripe is that you can't just set a trade route to auto meet demand of a good as best as it can, and the end result is that if you settle a lot of islands and build towns on all of them you'll eventually be inundated with notifications of minor issue on your trade routes. That, or you fail to meet demand of some good or another and your whiny newspaper editor complains about 100 dudes not having enough schnapps to drink while your biggest cities are bathing in champagne.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
There's a built in fix for that issue, although I agree it should be handled differently by default. On the trade route options you can set the ship to dump excess cargo into the water if it can't unload it. That will prevent the buildup.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

why can't i just have this back?

if you add that to 1800 it's a perfect game

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

boar guy posted:

why can't i just have this back?

I think that even more important than that window, what I miss about 2205 in 2070 is the abstraction of trade routes and factory cycle times. It's driving me insane with high-end goods for the techs how I have to overproduce goods due to shipping and factory cycle times even when on paper I'm making substantially more than needed for my population. Laboratory instruments and bionic suits are becoming the bane of my Anno 2070 experience, and the biggest hurdle between me and the tech monument.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cythereal posted:

Good news is, I did get bionic suit production up and running. Bad news is, the trade route travel time from Thule to University Base with the underwater components and the factory cycle time with those underwater components is longer than the consumption cycle for the suits so these idiots are periodically dipping down into unhappiness and starting to move out before the factories finish churning out new bionic suits.

These moronic 'geniuses' won't stop me from building the tech monument, but drat if the techs more than either primary faction feel like herding a collective of ADHD cats.

Use more boats man.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zedd posted:

Use more boats man.

Or bigger boats.

Or more bigger boats.

Or cargo submarines because they're cool.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

boar guy posted:

Just playing 2070 after a short session of 2205 after a long session of 1800.

Yes, 1800 is pretty much perfect. It's pretty cool to see a developer both trying out new stuff in their games and refining the successfull stuff in following games.
I'm also happy that all that account-based stuff (aka: 2070s carry-over of items and research) and that online-meta-game is a thing of the past with 1800.

And you really start to appreciate 1800s consumer model (seperating essential and luxury goods, higher pop stages not requiring lower requirements anymore, direct translation to pop count and income instead of a 'tax/happyness'-abstraction).

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 18, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finally sorted out my issues, and the core problem was something incredibly obvious and stupid that my missing caused me to completely misunderstand what was happening.

I never built the actual bionics factory. Had the whole chain running, but without the final factory to complete it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the one hand, I finished the SAAT monument.

On the other hand, I ran out of copper on my island producing communicators and dropped my income off a cliff until I rigged up some copper mines on another island to ship in and scrounged up enough licenses to buy a probe from Yana to make another 1.5k tons of copper on that island.

That was a nasty surprise, and I really should have realized the ramifications when the computer was warning me that the island was running low on copper deposits.

Edit: And that's a wrap on this campaign/session!

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 23, 2021

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

You can use your tech labs to make copper drill heads without using licenses I believe.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yoda posted:

You can use your tech labs to make copper drill heads without using licenses I believe.

Costs 1,000 licenses to make it, actually, and I did just that once the one I bought from Yana and the trade route bought me some breathing room.

All told, I'm pretty happy with this game despite all the little things pulling it down. Also finally got the Super Rotor, which makes wind turbines a hell of a lot more manageable and will be a godsend for future games. Don't think I'll start another session right away, though I'll definitely keep this city around to do my dailies for career points since I can easily make any resource the game desires.

Also completed that tycoon monument despite my first rebellion to date when my tycoon executives demanded a nuclear missile silo and I told them to bite me. Easy enough to wait out, they pulled my income down to just three digits but that recovered.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

That's the copper drill head 2.0, gives you 45k copper from academy, costs 1k license, 150k credits, 150 microchips and 100 carbon. The regular copper drill from the Laboratory which gives you 4500 copper only costs 5k credits and 15 tools.

Now I get to wait until you decide to blow up your eco and tycoon monuments so that you can just go all tech monuments all the time

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yoda posted:

Now I get to wait until you decide to blow up your eco and tycoon monuments so that you can just go all tech monuments all the time

Why on earth would I do that? The techs are the neediest, whiniest bastards I've met in this game and have presented me with more ultimatums than everyone else combined. Your ecobalance is too high! Your ecobalance is too low! We demand a laboratory! We demand a ludicrous amount of surplus power!

And that's when they're not setting their island on fire or having epidemics, which they usually are when they're not threatening to riot.

No wonder SAAT is a bad memory by the time of Anno 2205.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Because they have island wide range.

And boy are you going to like Investors.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

When you started posting about anno it gave me the desire to boot it back up. Here is the start of my Eco Island with a tech monument that I'm currently working on. The tech monument fulfills all needs like the eco/tycoon, but has unlimited range so you can settle the whole island with just one:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zedd posted:

Because they have island wide range.

And boy are you going to like Investors.

My tech city is exactly big enough for the monument and will grow no larger. They're a necessary burden, nothing more.

No one in Anno 2205 has poo poo on making the high-end jerks in 2070 happy, mainly thanks to 2205's quality of life and UI improvements.

Anno 2070 was a fun experiment, but I doubt I'll wind up putting half the time into it that I have into 2205, and I have zero desire to play 1404 or 1800. We'll see if the next game in the series is to my liking.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I dont know why youre interested in the series at all if the objectively best one, 1800, is of no interest to you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HORMELCHILI posted:

I dont know why youre interested in the series at all if the objectively best one, 1800, is of no interest to you.

Big thing is that I don't like the historical setting. I like 2070 and 2205 for the sci-fi settings.

And I wish they'd do away with the temperate zone entirely. Please give me an entire game about building sci-fi cityscapes and production centers at the bottom of the ocean, in the high arctic, and on the moon, thanks in advance.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Cythereal posted:

And I wish they'd do away with the temperate zone entirely. Please give me an entire game about building sci-fi cityscapes and production centers at the bottom of the ocean, in the high arctic, and on the moon, thanks in advance.

That would be neat.

But yeah, as people point out: The Tech Monument covers everything, and gives you total, island wide coverage to build a pretty city / slap down ornamentals on.

It's extra fun alongside Anno 2170, since it adds a ton of ornamentals, and stuff like canals/waterways, etc. (It also unlocks all the various unique models/buildings the game used to build story-mode cities and etc.)
It's a shame 2205 never got as extensive a modpack as what 2170 is.

I still keep a vague hope that they'll figure out how to do scenarios again properly once Anno8 rolls around, since I very much liked them for being differently focused than just sanboxes otherwise.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

SubNat posted:

That would be neat.

But yeah, as people point out: The Tech Monument covers everything, and gives you total, island wide coverage to build a pretty city / slap down ornamentals on.

It's extra fun alongside Anno 2170, since it adds a ton of ornamentals, and stuff like canals/waterways, etc. (It also unlocks all the various unique models/buildings the game used to build story-mode cities and etc.)
It's a shame 2205 never got as extensive a modpack as what 2170 is.

I still keep a vague hope that they'll figure out how to do scenarios again properly once Anno8 rolls around, since I very much liked them for being differently focused than just sanboxes otherwise.

I just flashed to how much the trading aircraft in Anno 2170 are a MAJOR, MAJOR quality of life improvement for transporting smaller amounts of goods.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Holy loving poo poo I put 40hrs in to Anno 1800 in ... 7 days. Game is fun as poo poo.

I have the old world / new world / arctic stuff all set up but haven't done anything but make a basic rear end settlement on Crown Falls (Cape Trelawney). If I start building there, I'm basically setting up a new old world region from scratch right? I've done some of the diving quests and transmuted a few things. I also just now got the Research Center. I'm thinking I want to build over there because I'm running out of space.

My god this game rules.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

nuketulsa posted:

If I start building [in Cape Trelawney], I'm basically setting up a new old world region from scratch right?

Yes, but with the benefit of already having unlocked buildings, money and other resources.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I've been a strategy fan all my life but had the realization recently that for some reason I've never actually tried an Anno game even though it looks like it's almost exactly up my alley.

So then I checked the store and it's on sale and everything. How is the DLC for 1800? I'm pretty much positive I'll be into the game so I'm up for buying the complete edition if it's worth having.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Koramei posted:

I've been a strategy fan all my life but had the realization recently that for some reason I've never actually tried an Anno game even though it looks like it's almost exactly up my alley.

So then I checked the store and it's on sale and everything. How is the DLC for 1800? I'm pretty much positive I'll be into the game so I'm up for buying the complete edition if it's worth having.

DLC is good. You get 3 extra sessions/regions (2 feature new populations/tech trees, 1 is the same as the standard session but with a really big build area.) the rest of the DLC is some pretty neat stuff that adds some depth to existing systems or lets you really optimize / go for that mega island.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

cape trelawny is dangerous af, just completely stopped developing my old world settlement to focus on it, also helping the emperor of Not-Ethiopia modernize was cool

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
I cant be the only one that reaches investors and ends up like a deer in headlights, right? I have so many different things I need to do and I end up just watching the game instead of doing them.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah it certainly gets pretty intense. I've said a few times in this thread (and I'll say it again!) that 1800 is basically a game of managing your attention more than anything else. Once you get to investors and multiple instances pulling you in different directions constantly, it's hard to keep focus and get things done. Just take it slow, focus on one task at a time and ignore distractions unless they're critical (eg wardecs). If you expand too quickly you can throw your entire economy out of balance and start hemmoraging. Make a habit to check in on the stats screen every 5-10 minutes and ensure you haven't missed something.

On the upside, once you get to Investors with sound fundamentals in place, you'll never have to worry about money ever again.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I p much industrialized my new world now.
So much coffee is needed for my investors goal, even with that one specialist.

Next up is going wide in the artic for gas, my original big city in the old world is now mainly making goods to be shipped off to artic/south and later Embasa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I really hate the way trade unions/town halls and specialists work. If they absolutely have to have absurdly short distance limits, make them all road-based like other buildings. Even better, just make specialists apply to the first x buildings of a given type on an island and ditch the obnoxious distance limits completely (and make them rarer if you insist on balance or whatever).

Yes, I know other Anno games worked like this and that you don't absolutely have to micro-optimize everything, but trade unions and specialists applying to multiple building types increase the complexity unnecessarily.