Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, that's great, but if no one actually checks the site, then none of you are reading the strip ever again. :colbert:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You know you can just sign up for the RSS feed, right?

:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Eh, if there's no new strips for a week I'll just start reading the comic from #1. By the time I catch up, there's a new strip!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Can you recite the trial closing arguments by memory yet.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

RSS counts as checking the site. :colbert:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

jng2058 posted:

RSS counts as checking the site. :colbert:

With RSS you get an app to check the site for you. :smaug:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I have never used an rss feed, how do they even work? Arcane magic to me

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I subscribed to the Patreon, so I get an email every time he posts about a new strip.

The true gentleman's RSS

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

mandatory lesbian posted:

I have never used an rss feed, how do they even work? Arcane magic to me

From a user perspective you install a reader as an extension for your browser or an independent program and you click/copy paste RSS feed links. The app/extension alerts you whenever it checks and finds a new post and gives you a summary and/or a URL to look at the full post. Behind the scenes the feed is just an updating XML file with a listing of the latest updates from that website, and your app/extension just reads that file in the frequency you told it to.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GimmickMan posted:

Can you recite the trial closing arguments by memory yet.

"Your Honor, League of Legends"

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

From a user perspective you install a reader as an extension for your browser or an independent program and you click/copy paste RSS feed links. The app/extension alerts you whenever it checks and finds a new post and gives you a summary and/or a URL to look at the full post. Behind the scenes the feed is just an updating XML file with a listing of the latest updates from that website, and your app/extension just reads that file in the frequency you told it to.
I was under the impression that RSS feeds really hit their stride and heyday back in the early 2000s and have been less and less relevant since then. Admittedly, I still use them, but I've seen other goons mocking RSS feeds as antiquated.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

They're definitely not as widely used as they were back then, but I'm not sure what people think has replaced them. RSS is a very good solution to the problem it solves.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

With RSS you get an app to check the site for you. :smaug:

Sure, but all the...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I get my updates from posts in this thread, like any sane adult.

...folks don't do that. They wait for someone who checks the site, whether by email, bookmark, or yes RSS to do it for them then post about it here. And if no one does that because we've all become "sane adults" then we'll never read a new strip because no one will ever check the drat site. :colbert:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

XkyRauh posted:

I was under the impression that RSS feeds really hit their stride and heyday back in the early 2000s and have been less and less relevant since then. Admittedly, I still use them, but I've seen other goons mocking RSS feeds as antiquated.

I was getting frustrated with how Twitter and Facebook were getting me content, so a few months ago I installed an RSS extension and started adding blogs I liked to it. It's really gotten me reading more stuff that I like when it comes out. Better than having a list of blogs/websites I have to remind myself to check in case they have anything new going on there. It works. :shrug:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
This derail represents the unnatural and disgusting depths this thread goes when it can't feed its addiction.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

RSS chat > alignment arguments

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is this a Goblins summoning ritual.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Goblins Goblins (a much better comic about sad goblins than Goblins) updated.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

jng2058 posted:

Sure, but all the...

...folks don't do that. They wait for someone who checks the site, whether by email, bookmark, or yes RSS to do it for them then post about it here. And if no one does that because we've all become "sane adults" then we'll never read a new strip because no one will ever check the drat site. :colbert:

"Sane adult" was an attempt at comedic hyperbole. In reality, the vast majority of OotS readers do not, in fact, follow a thread in the BSS subforum of something awful dot com.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Sure, but all the...

It's Something Awful though, we can be quite sure in the assumption that someone who ISN'T a sane adult is around in the thread.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ikanreed posted:

This derail represents the unnatural and disgusting depths this thread goes when it can't feed its addiction.

Time to start a Goblins readthrough.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It has been so long since we've had an update that I will entertain the possibility.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
when timg-d, it kinda looks like CLEARLY MALE

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing is when someone gets bored and posts some random poo poo, which causes a bunch of other people to check the thread because they see new posts and figure a comic is up, and then they post and I see 20 new posts so surely there must be a new comic up because of all the new posts, but there isn’t a new comic at all.

Also I’ve fallen for this at least once a month for the last 14 years.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kadath posted:

My favorite thing is when someone gets bored and posts some random poo poo, which causes a bunch of other people to check the thread because they see new posts and figure a comic is up, and then they post and I see 20 new posts so surely there must be a new comic up because of all the new posts, but there isn’t a new comic at all.

Would this be a chaotic evil or lawful evil phenomenon?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Kadath posted:

100% just happened to me. In fact, I went and checked my RSS feed to see if there was an update so I could read the new comic before looking at this thread.

RSS feeds are good, and Google Reader was the only good social network. I still have friends I keep in touch with via The Old Reader RSS feed.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I straight up no longer expect an update anymore, which has on multiple occasions screwed me over when I look to see what the new discussion is and whoops, it is in fact an update.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

XkyRauh posted:

There are actually sites starting to pop up that don't support RSS at all but they generally suck so this isn't yet a problem.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Wow, Nale got competent while he was dead.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

pseudorandom name posted:

There are actually sites starting to pop up that don't support RSS at all but they generally suck so this isn't yet a problem.

It is a bit annoying. I also vaguely remember the OOtS RSS feed having some issues with item order that caused problems with the RSS reader I was using at the time, so I wound up using the Reddit RSS feed for the comics for a couple years. Those issues seem to have been fixed now.

I use an instance of TinyRSS running off a raspberry pi because I have almost no need to check webcomics when I'm not at home, and getting it working properly was sufficiently annoying to keep me occupied for several days a couple years ago.

Still a far cry from the days when Google Reader roamed the Earth, and when Yahoo Pipes could be browbeaten to make RSS Feeds for sites than didn't have them.

Ah: Meant to ask; What's a recommended Xykon quote for an avatar? Other than "Power is Power?"

maltesh fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 16, 2021

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

maltesh posted:

Ah: Meant to ask; What's a recommended Xykon quote for an avatar? Other than "Power is Power?"

His spiel on doing whatever to avoid the big fire below.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Maybe a picture flipping between him with the crown and not; with bad rear end and really bad rear end

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bell_ posted:

Maybe a picture flipping between him with the crown and not; with bad rear end and really bad rear end

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Or, I think I just had an evilgasm

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I think his coffee wisdom from Start of Darkness was the one that resonated the most with me.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I have a soft spot for "Man, clerics are just the worst" though it doesn't work as well as the others out of context

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I still think about the "power is power" speech. Applied it in my life, even.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Xykon's joy when he discovers a new gimmick he can do with zombies is great, too, or "sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I still think about the "power is power" speech. Applied it in my life, even.

it explains a lot about 2020 tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Rich isn't ok