Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm going to call my son officially potty trained now :toot:

He's pooped in the toilet for two straight months and had a dry underwear overnight for the last week. About time too, he's nearly four and a half. I started my daughter on baby oatmeal so I've had at least a bit of a break from changing smelly poop diapers. It took two weeks but she's sort of eating. She's not making faces at the oatmeal anymore and willingly opens her mouth even if she doesn't know how to actually eat. Her technique is to let me spoon some food in and then she sucks on her fingers to "eat" the food. Hopefully she learns how to actually swallow at some point but hey, as long as it gets to her stomach that's fine.

Things have been going really well, kidwise at least, so now I'm worried they're both going to hit me with some new issue. Teething is probably next up for the baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

BonoMan posted:

Dangit I always get the title wrong.

Oh and yeah my kid loves the (animated series) for Magic School Bus. She legit learns stuff from that.

And apparently Storybots on Netflix. She came in to proudly tell me that she knows how computers work. "They convert everything down to 1s and 0s and communicate on a universal language!"

She's 6. I was like "what the ... where the hell did you learn that?" and turns out it's Storybots so that's awesome!

I fuckin love Storybots, everything about that show is enjoyable. We play the music pretty regularly on Spotify in between our 3298423028342 listens to the Frozen 2 soundtrack.

Earth to Luna is another great, educational kids cartoon in Netflix too.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
We're big Storybots fans. Someone here recommended Tumbleleaf which is awesome. We just discovered Peg + Cat, which is a girl and a cat solving problems with math. It's cute and weird and sometimes there's pirates.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ben Nevis posted:

We're big Storybots fans. Someone here recommended Tumbleleaf which is awesome. We just discovered Peg + Cat, which is a girl and a cat solving problems with math. It's cute and weird and sometimes there's pirates.

Oh yeah Tumbleleaf is *so* good too. Love the color and texture. Back when my 6 year old was 18 months, she had a bad staph infection that led to a brief hospitalization to remove it. When we were home recovering we just binged the poo poo out of Tumbleleaf. My boy is 18 months now and doesn't seem as taken with it though :(.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

Goodnight Moon totally rips for inducing sleepiness. Brown Bear, Brown Bear is another one that has the perfect rhythms for bedtime.

Our son loves Brown Bear, Brown Bear, we have it in dual English/Spanish and just English and he prefers the dual language version. We are in Texas and learning Spanish to be eventually fluent and bilingual would be really beneficial for him especially here, but then we looked at the prices for Spanish immersion schools and fuuuuuuuck that. It’s more expensive for part-time than his old daycare was for full-time.

So he gets Oso Pardo, Oso Pardo instead

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My kid likes to request books written in Spanish and then complain when I can't tell them what anything means. Blame your mother for buying used books in bulk, it's not my fault!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

My kid likes to request books written in Spanish and then complain when I can't tell them what anything means. Blame your mother for buying used books in bulk, it's not my fault!

My mom used to be kinda fluent in Spanish and taught ESL in the DR. She did not however pass on any of that Spanish-speaking skill to me, so here I am reading a book in a dual language to my kid and probably butchering the words because I can’t roll my Rs for poo poo.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Tonton Macoute posted:

Can't learn without exposure, can't get exposure because it's too frustrating to not to understand.

We are in a similar situation, albeit reversed. English language skills are fantastic but second language skills, that they practice only with us, are lack luster. Our 3 year old has a very limited patience when we are using 2nd language books or video. She’s never been in a situation where she has needed to be able to communicate with someone in it.

Some travel abroad would change that.......

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
I adore Goodnight Moon. We always finish bedtime with it and then go around the room saying goodnight to various objects before turning off the light and singing him down.

Looking for advice on transitioning from breastmilk to cow's milk and general diet advice. My son is one and here's his daily diet, more or less:

8-9 am: rice cereal with expressed breastmilk

12-1 pm: meat/veggie puree, followed by breastfeeding

3-4 pm: fruit puree, followed by breastfeeding

6-7 pm: meat/veggie puree, followed by breastfeeding

I'm mostly looking to transition away from using pumped breastmilk in the morning because it is a pain in the rear end. I managed to build up a pretty good reserve of frozen breastmilk so we could use that for a while but it'll eventually run out. He has never had formula or cow's milk. We aren't really sure how to start giving him cow's milk. Should I just start replacing a little bit more of the expressed breastmilk with cow's milk every day? And should we be offering him a sippy cup of cow's milk at meals? He is pretty good about drinking water between meals but we haven't been giving him anything to drink during meals. I don't mind continuing to breastfeed after meals but would like to encourage weaning in general.

We do also give him bits and pieces of solid food to get him used to things other than purees but I'm not really sure how to transition from purees either. General advice accepted!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Tagichatn posted:

I'm going to call my son officially potty trained now :toot:

He's pooped in the toilet for two straight months and had a dry underwear overnight for the last week. About time too, he's nearly four and a half.
Congratulations!

4-1/2 was exactly the same time mine was potty trained. At 5 and a few months, I was drawing his bath last night when he hopped on the toilet to poop. I had a weird combination of pride and embarrassment (like I was intruding? He certainly didn't care).

Been going through a sleep change with him this past week where he's been getting up between 2am and 4am instead of what has become a fairly reliable 6am. It's happened before so I'm not worried about him getting over it.

Gathering into my bed next to me usually gets him sleeping again but not this morning. Besides fidgeting and keeping me up, it's more annoying to hear him constantly yawning. It's hard to resist the urge to admonish him "Dude, that yawning means you're tired, go back to sleep!!"

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

boquiabierta posted:

I'm mostly looking to transition away from using pumped breastmilk in the morning because it is a pain in the rear end. I managed to build up a pretty good reserve of frozen breastmilk so we could use that for a while but it'll eventually run out. He has never had formula or cow's milk. We aren't really sure how to start giving him cow's milk. Should I just start replacing a little bit more of the expressed breastmilk with cow's milk every day? And should we be offering him a sippy cup of cow's milk at meals? He is pretty good about drinking water between meals but we haven't been giving him anything to drink during meals. I don't mind continuing to breastfeed after meals but would like to encourage weaning in general.

We do also give him bits and pieces of solid food to get him used to things other than purees but I'm not really sure how to transition from purees either. General advice accepted!

We transitioned our son from expressed breastmilk to formula at 6 months, and then formula to cows milk at about 14 months. After giving him an initial small amount to check that a) he'd drink it and b) no adverse reaction of any kind, we started by swapping out one bottle a day and slowly built up to 100% new stuff over about 2 weeks. That wasn't following any specific advice on the topic, I just wanted to do a slow transition. We've always just given our son water to drink during meals, and a bottle afterwards - which eventually just became a bottle before bed.

For solids we started on purees then as he got more teeth we started introducing foods we would have previously pureed in their less blended forms (soft fruit, boiled vegies) and watching carefully. He's 2 now and still a bit fussy over fibrous things he really has to chew, so we're only just starting to have success with things like meat. If he had his way he would live on pasta, scrambled eggs and boiled potatoes.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

boquiabierta posted:

I adore Goodnight Moon. We always finish bedtime with it and then go around the room saying goodnight to various objects before turning off the light and singing him down.

Looking for advice on transitioning from breastmilk to cow's milk and general diet advice. My son is one and here's his daily diet, more or less:

8-9 am: rice cereal with expressed breastmilk

12-1 pm: meat/veggie puree, followed by breastfeeding

3-4 pm: fruit puree, followed by breastfeeding

6-7 pm: meat/veggie puree, followed by breastfeeding

I’d probably move away from purée sooner rather than later, maybe offer a finger food equivalent alongside the purée and then reduce the amount of purée gradually?

I tend to purée whatever we’re having for lunch or dinner and leave some pieces whole so bub can have a good go at it, she’s 7 months old. If dinner doesn’t lend itself to finger food, eg soup or curry or something, then toast fingers alongside it for dipping. If what we’re eating is fairly heavily seasoned, I’ll set aside a small portion for her prior to seasoning.

Here’s a sample of her diet. I do breastfeeding first and not as many solids because of her age.

6, wake and breastfeed.
6.30 or 7 breakfast - oats with cows milk and peanut butter, weetbix with cows milk or peanut butter toast.

9 breastfeed

11.30 breastfeed
1.30 - something high protein like eggs, meat, tuna and veg. Usually scrambled or hard boiled and sliced. Veg is given both whole in finger food pieces and in purée with meat. Tuna is served flaked, as is.

3.00ish breastfeed

6.00 breastfeed and bed.

Some days I’ve got nothing to purée up, and I grab a zucchini slice mini muffin or three out of the freezer to thaw out. It’s got eggs, flour, veg and oil so most big food groups are covered.

Fruit purée and yogurt is another good way to get dairy in.

First kid I cooked a lot of food specifically for her and it was an added stressor to an already sometimes tough existence. This time around I’ve got a couple of frozen things to pull out if needed, and if I make up purée I put aside a little to freeze. Much easier and because I’m puréeing stuff we’re eating anyway, it’s no extra effort really.

Oh corn on the cob is really fun too, let them have a go at that!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We watch a lot of YouTube with my son and I’m trying to block some things.

We use the normal YouTube app and subscribe to cocomelon and Hudson’s playground.

We don’t mind those channels at all. It’s just that every now and then YouTube will switch to something else it thinks we want to watch. One it always does is Super Jojo, which is basically the same exact thing as cocomelon with different graphics and singers. It’d be fine except the baby does a bunch of things my son tries to imitate, like hitting his head on the ground and trying to drink soda and then complaining (loudly!) about his stomach hurting.

Is there a way to block certain channels or videos in YouTube? We use Apple TV.

We tried YouTube kids which lets you block videos, but there doesn’t seem to be any way to subscribe to channels and a lot of the videos aren’t educational or even in English-even while selecting certain presets...I’m trying my best not to expose my kid to the dark web anytime soon!

We use Netflix a bit as well, but he’s always like cocomelon (which in on Netflix) and Hudson’s playground (which isn’t).

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

We use the normal YouTube app and subscribe to cocomelon and Hudson’s playground.

We don’t mind those channels at all. It’s just that every now and then YouTube will switch to something else it thinks we want to watch. One it always does is Super Jojo, which is basically the same exact thing as cocomelon with different graphics and singers. It’d be fine except the baby does a bunch of things my son tries to imitate, like hitting his head on the ground and trying to drink soda and then complaining (loudly!) about his stomach hurting.

We tried YouTube kids which lets you block videos, but there doesn’t seem to be any way to subscribe to channels and a lot of the videos aren’t educational or even in English-even while selecting certain presets...I’m trying my best not to expose my kid to the dark web anytime soon!

We use Netflix a bit as well, but he’s always like cocomelon (which in on Netflix) and Hudson’s playground (which isn’t).

It is possible to block channels on the Android TV version of the YouTube app, but I can't interrupt the 48th time we're watching a kids concert to check how.

Anyway, have you considered curating a known to be good list of videos and download them with Youtube-DL? My kid is a lot more tolerant of repeating content than I thought she would be and we made it through 2020 with an USB stick of some 120 quality videos.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

nwin posted:

I haven't tried it but there is a YouTube kids app that lets parents set up an allowlist for videos/channels/playlists and that is all the kid has access to

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Tonton Macoute posted:

It is possible to block channels on the Android TV version of the YouTube app, but I can't interrupt the 48th time we're watching a kids concert to check how.

Anyway, have you considered curating a known to be good list of videos and download them with Youtube-DL? My kid is a lot more tolerant of repeating content than I thought she would be and we made it through 2020 with an USB stick of some 120 quality videos.

Jose Valasquez posted:

I haven't tried it but there is a YouTube kids app that lets parents set up an allowlist for videos/channels/playlists and that is all the kid has access to

I didn’t know YouTube DL even existed so that’s a possibility.

I mentioned the YouTube kids app above...I’ll have to mess around to see an allow list. Thanks!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

nwin posted:

I didn’t know YouTube DL even existed so that’s a possibility.

I mentioned the YouTube kids app above...I’ll have to mess around to see an allow list. Thanks!

Oops, I missed the part where you mentioned YTK. (I have a 3 month old so I'm not responsible for my actions)

The allowlist thing was added after Elsagate I think.

This has the instructions for setting it up
https://support.google.com/youtubekids/answer/6172308?hl=en#zippy=%2Capproved-content-only

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jose Valasquez posted:

Oops, I missed the part where you mentioned YTK. (I have a 3 month old so I'm not responsible for my actions)

The allowlist thing was added after Elsagate I think.

This has the instructions for setting it up
https://support.google.com/youtubekids/answer/6172308?hl=en#zippy=%2Capproved-content-only

Elsagate?

And thanks! That helps a ton! It’s weird that Hudson’s playground doesn’t show up in the search for YouTube Kids, but I can watch episodes of master chef.

Edit: holy gently caress I just googled elsagate. I loving hate the internet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just banned youtube for the kids at home since it’s not curated responsibly in any way. I guess they tried to improve things but I don’t think I’ll reverse that. Same with amazon prime, it is a total dumpster fire.

The local PBS (Knowledge Kids) has an app with all their favourite shows but lately it has been crashing a lot, so netflix and plex have been my go-tos.

Lately my oldest (8) and his friends are all in roblox, are there any settings on that I should be aware of to prevent creepy weirdos? He and his friends just play while voice chatting on ipads.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My 6 year old was watching YouTube (regular) the other day ... She usually watches minecraft videos and I supervise... But she was home while I had a ton of work to do. Not 30 minutes of unsupervised watching and the algorithm got her to something called Dark Corners. Now she *loves* scary movies but this poo poo straight up traumatized her. That night my wife found her in her bed, shivering, lights on, stiff as a board. She has never been that scared of something.

Ugh gently caress the internet. I mean it's my fault. But gently caress YouTube

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My workouts now consist of taking the kids to the park and playing defense to prevent my 2yo from running into the path of swingsets, something she seems god drat determined to do despite everything I say or do.

Was about a quarter second away from a trip to the emergency room today, yikes. Maybe parks putting giant 2 person swings that older kids try to get going as hard as possible right next to the tot lot area isn’t a great plan!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BonoMan posted:

My 6 year old was watching YouTube (regular) the other day ... She usually watches minecraft videos and I supervise... But she was home while I had a ton of work to do. Not 30 minutes of unsupervised watching and the algorithm got her to something called Dark Corners. Now she *loves* scary movies but this poo poo straight up traumatized her. That night my wife found her in her bed, shivering, lights on, stiff as a board. She has never been that scared of something.

Ugh gently caress the internet. I mean it's my fault. But gently caress YouTube

God drat. Nothing like that has happened yet save for a few questionable ads. He’s at the point where he doesn’t want to be on his own too much so we’re always in the room with him watching stuff.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

nwin posted:

God drat. Nothing like that has happened yet save for a few questionable ads. He’s at the point where he doesn’t want to be on his own too much so we’re always in the room with him watching stuff.
Things were starting to get hairy for us and the Roku YouTube app and we just deleted it using Chromecast for mom and days youtube-on-the-tv needs.

We've been fairly satisfied with Kidoodle. There some mildly questionable Roblox videos and occasionally they'll get commercial sponsorship that makes me think of cable tv (endless McDonalds commercials when Soul came out) but otherwise I'm good with it even if he focuses a lot on video games.

(I bought a switch for Christmas and both of us are surprised at the Mario Odyssey stuff he remembers from watching walkthroughs from like six months ago)

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I don’t know what happened but my two month old baby hates it when I feed him now. Not sure if it’s nipple confusion or preferring breast milk over formula or what but I feel like a massive failure. Just handed him off to Mom after he had a complete meltdown over an ounce of formula and it sounds like she got him to drink it no problem. What the gently caress.

Edit: never mind she just gave up on feeding him. I think he wasn’t that hungry and I was forcing too much on him. Need to adjust to longer gaps between feeding.

space uncle fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 17, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

space uncle posted:

I don’t know what happened but my two month old baby hates it when I feed him now. Not sure if it’s nipple confusion or preferring breast milk over formula or what but I feel like a massive failure. Just handed him off to Mom after he had a complete meltdown over an ounce of formula and it sounds like she got him to drink it no problem. What the gently caress.

Edit: never mind she just gave up on feeding him. I think he wasn’t that hungry and I was forcing too much on him. Need to adjust to longer gaps between feeding.

Yeah their stomach gets bigger with time. :shobon:

Our 2.5mo is having a small developmental leap, which is making him extra fussy, but is also very cute. He's starting to babble a lot of vowel-consonant stuff, and I just had a long "conversation" with him doing phrase-length sing song tonal stuff. He's also doing this slow, rhythmical, "Ah! Ah! Ah!" thing when we laugh, which we think is him figuring out how to laugh himself.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

space uncle posted:

We had a similar thing happen around the same time. We tried several different formulas and even exclusively breastfeeding over the course of about a month. In the end we settled on the exact same formula we started with. Our conclusion was babies are weird sometimes so don't over think it unless they start dropping weight

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

space uncle posted:

It’s hard not to take things like this personally but... don’t take it personally! My husband felt rejected for the first several months of our daughter’s life because I had the boobs and did a majority of the feeding, but it doesn’t mean your kid actually has a concept of love and hate, or who is the one making them feel frustrated, or why they are frustrated in the first place.

When your baby is a little older and realizes there’s more to life than milk, your interactions will be a lot more rewarding. When your kid starts smiling and interacting with you, you will (hopefully) not feel like a failure any more.

The first several months really are survival mode. You’re not failing, but I guarantee you every single parent has felt like a failure at some point in the early days.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Koivunen posted:

It’s hard not to take things like this personally but... don’t take it personally! My husband felt rejected for the first several months of our daughter’s life because I had the boobs and did a majority of the feeding, but it doesn’t mean your kid actually has a concept of love and hate, or who is the one making them feel frustrated, or why they are frustrated in the first place.

When your baby is a little older and realizes there’s more to life than milk, your interactions will be a lot more rewarding. When your kid starts smiling and interacting with you, you will (hopefully) not feel like a failure any more.

The first several months really are survival mode. You’re not failing, but I guarantee you every single parent has felt like a failure at some point in the early days.

Thanks Jose and Koivunen, you’re both right.

1. I lightened up my grip on the bottles and the baby likes that better, even though he bats it out of his mouth or spits it out still.
2. I think it’s a weird formula regression like you said. We will cycle through a few of them again and see what sticks. My wife has some surgery coming up so we may have to pump and dump or switch to formula altogether, which will be a huge pain to wean him off breast milk if that’s his favorite.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

space uncle posted:

Thanks Jose and Koivunen, you’re both right.

1. I lightened up my grip on the bottles and the baby likes that better, even though he bats it out of his mouth or spits it out still.
2. I think it’s a weird formula regression like you said. We will cycle through a few of them again and see what sticks. My wife has some surgery coming up so we may have to pump and dump or switch to formula altogether, which will be a huge pain to wean him off breast milk if that’s his favorite.

Hey, maybe your kiddo will do like ours did, and just wean himself off breast milk at some undetermined time. He just stopped wanting breast milk; my wife was sad because she loved breastfeeding him once he learned to latch better and thus there was less pain and discomfort for her, but also happy because it meant she could get more rest while I fed him formula. He just kinda took to it.

I’m not saying that will happen or won’t—I don’t wanna get your hopes up or anything. I’m just saying it could! Some kids never want off Mom’s breasts and some kids are all, “Okay I think I’m ready for formula now, out of nowhere.”

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Koivunen posted:

Why is “Goodnight Moon” such a hit with my kid/kids in general for the last sixty whatever years? It’s not even good. Who leaves a bowl full of mush out all night long?

“Stinky Face,” on the other hand, another of my daughter’s favorites, and one I don’t mind reading a thousand times.

Stinky Face is great. It's like a more explicitly loving and nurturing version of The Runaway Bunny.

But sorry that you're wrong about Goodnight Moon. I wish my kid liked it more because reading it out loud absolutely slaps.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

You guys know what sucks almost as much as teeth?

Growing pains. gently caress them so hard

EDIT: My son decided he would play with the brand-new, 100% full giant-rear end bottle or bubble bath we got him, and he promptly dropped it on the floor while I was using the potty in the other room, breaking the cap. It spilled about half a gallon of highly concentrated bubble bath around his potty and of course I have zero idea how to clean it up because as we all know, water causes more suds. If anyone has any ideas whatsoever I’m basically begging for it

This after 4 days straight of maybe a total of 2 hours of nap, three weeks of almost nightly wake ups, and 45 minute meltdowns at night and willful non-listening

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 19, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
If you didn't already pour a lot of water on it: Wipe with tons and tons of toilet paper or tissue paper to absorb as much as possible. Once it starts feeling slightly dry you start cleaning with a damp rag.

It's the same as when cleaning up excessive amounts of semen, really, I don't know why you would have such a problem with it? :iiam:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My mother just visited town for a week. She didn't stay with us but visited every day to play with her granddaughter. Since she just recovered from covid last month she was deemed non-infectious and we didn't wear masks around each other.

This was the first time that a non-masked outsider has been in our house for almost a year. I hadn't consciously realized just how much background stress that was causing. I can't wait for the rest of the grandparents to get their shots; our "bubble" currently includes zero people and this is the only way I'd consider expanding it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

wizzardstaff posted:

Since she just recovered from covid last month she was deemed non-infectious

Is this based on anything scientific?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is this based on anything scientific?

We were going by the CDC who said that reinfection is not known to happen within three months.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

space uncle posted:

Is this formula from a bottle? Our daughter hated feeding at around 2 months and would cry bloody murder and it turned out to be a cows milk protein allergy. The other issue could be the nipple size. She would bat at the bottle and that went away when we increased the size by 1. They might be working too hard to drink.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

life is killing me posted:

My son decided he would play with the brand-new, 100% full giant-rear end bottle or bubble bath we got him, and he promptly dropped it on the floor while I was using the potty in the other room, breaking the cap. It spilled about half a gallon of highly concentrated bubble bath around his potty and of course I have zero idea how to clean it up because as we all know, water causes more suds. If anyone has any ideas whatsoever I’m basically begging for it

Water + agitation causes the suds. If you can rinse it without really scrubbing that will help.

Alternatively use a defoamer. Commercial formulations will be with the carpet cleaning stuff at your local Home Depot or equivalent but white vinegar diluted 1:10 works pretty well as a substitute. If your bathroom smelling like a pickle jar for a few days is a deal breaker sprinkling salt over things instead of using vinegar will help as well, although it isn't nearly as effective.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

nachos posted:

Is this formula from a bottle? Our daughter hated feeding at around 2 months and would cry bloody murder and it turned out to be a cows milk protein allergy. The other issue could be the nipple size. She would bat at the bottle and that went away when we increased the size by 1. They might be working too hard to drink.

Yes formula from a bottle. We settled on a single nipple and a single formula brand, we were rotating through a few of them. I also admitted that I was being too heavy handed and pushing the nipple in his mouth and he’s enjoying a much lighter touch where he gets to move his head around and try and hold the bottle. Just fed him 4oz with 0 fuss.

We also got a formula prep pitcher so maybe the formulas we were shaking up ad hoc were too foamy for him. Or maybe he was just going through a weird phase.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I have been either successfully or attempting to nurse my newborn so often I wonder what is even the point of wearing a shirt anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

remigious posted:

I have been either successfully or attempting to nurse my newborn so often I wonder what is even the point of wearing a shirt anymore?

For the first little while? There isn't really one, unless you're expecting visitors, are cold, or just feel like it. I always found a nursing bra mandatory though.