Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ASAPI posted:

That’s what I have a hard time wrapping my head around. How can an illness cause so much physical damage without symptoms?

Do the asymptomatic people have such great lungs that they don’t notice? Does it continue to damage the lungs after you “get over it”?

As far as I understood, the severe scarring isn't in asymptomatic cases, but in the ones where severe pneumonia occurs, no?
I read the article as people saying they feel fine post-recovery, but still have lungs that look like a fresh hell with an extra helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

:yeshaha: :bisonyes:

Do it, that spineless gently caress needs to be kicked out of office. I hold a special place in my heart for hating for that wishy washy, sell your constituents out at the drop of a hat, two faced, sniveling loving shitwad. If I ever win a pile of money I'll plow some into a PAC just to run attacks ads about him.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

As far as I understood, the severe scarring isn't in asymptomatic cases, but in the ones where severe pneumonia occurs, no?
I read the article as people saying they feel fine post-recovery, but still have lungs that look like a fresh hell with an extra helping.

There’s a pretty big spectrum from asymptomatic to needing a ventilator. “Just the flu” can take an athlete down to being out of breath just going up a couple stairs but they’ll be fine after another month. Covid appears to not work like that.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I just had a facebook video pop up of National Guard parachuting from a blackhawk...what's the point of that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

20 Blunts posted:

I just had a facebook video pop up of National Guard parachuting from a blackhawk...what's the point of that?

If there’s an insurrection it’s a combat jump, right? :v:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

20 Blunts posted:

It's fun

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

20 Blunts posted:

Currency, it’s a lot easier to get reps in with helos.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

20 Blunts posted:

The parachute tends to keep the person that's jumping from dying when they hit the ground, I think

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

20 Blunts posted:

$150 a month in jump pay. Static line jumps for real world use have limited utility but a handy tool for a military to have. Guard units having that capability boggles my mind since units need to maintain a high proficiency in all the other warfighting functions since once those jumpers exit they can expect to be an isolated pocket for 12 - 72 hours. I don't see how a Guard unit could maintain both proficiency in airborne operations and their unit's specialty with their limited training windows.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

20 Blunts posted:

Air force planes break all the time. Sometimes it's easier to just have your guys jump out of your own equipment. Jump currency, pilot flight time requirements. All sorts of reasons.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
If Baked Alaska was singing, it wasn't loud enough.

https://twitter.com/MikeBalsamo1/status/1350486377230643203?s=19

Pretty sure he shouldn't even be in Texas!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

BaconAndBullets posted:

$150 a month in jump pay. Static line jumps for real world use have limited utility but a handy tool for a military to have. Guard units having that capability boggles my mind since units need to maintain a high proficiency in all the other warfighting functions since once those jumpers exit they can expect to be an isolated pocket for 12 - 72 hours. I don't see how a Guard unit could maintain both proficiency in airborne operations and their unit's specialty with their limited training windows.

Here in Canada there's a single reserve infantry unit in our most populated city that gets spots on Para courses. Candidates going on course from said unit regularly show up without basic things like rucksacks.

I think it's mostly a recruiting thing they can put on posters.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

20 Blunts posted:

There are airborne infantry in the Guard.

Not sure what else there is to say about it.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/01/15/43-national-guard-troops-dc-inauguration-test-positive-covid-19.html

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Generation Internet posted:

Here in Canada there's a single reserve infantry unit in our most populated city that gets spots on Para courses. Candidates going on course from said unit regularly show up without basic things like rucksacks.

I think it's mostly a recruiting thing they can put on posters.

Which unit? I'm curious now, I know very few people from the reserves who got into para courses.

I'm betting QOR.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

If Baked Alaska was singing, it wasn't loud enough.

https://twitter.com/MikeBalsamo1/status/1350486377230643203?s=19

Pretty sure he shouldn't even be in Texas!

Correct. I think he has a warrant out of Arizona for failure to appear.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nystral posted:

Do it, that spineless gently caress needs to be kicked out of office. I hold a special place in my heart for hating for that wishy washy, sell your constituents out at the drop of a hat, two faced, sniveling loving shitwad. If I ever win a pile of money I'll plow some into a PAC just to run attacks ads about him.

I suspect she's gonna be too busy legally to be running for office.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

Which unit? I'm curious now, I know very few people from the reserves who got into para courses.

I'm betting QOR.

It's QOR.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Nystral posted:

As much as these spineless shits need to be punished by vote, I'd actually much rather have no member or associate from the ~~Trump dynasty~~ to never run for office ever again.
From all I know of and heard from Ivanka, she has enough smarts to turn her father's incompetent evil into competent evil, and that terrifies me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

As much as these spineless shits need to be punished by vote, I'd actually much rather have no member or associate from the ~~Trump dynasty~~ to never run for office ever again.
From all I know of and heard from Ivanka, she has enough smarts to turn her father's incompetent evil into competent evil, and that terrifies me.

I don't think we have to worry about Ivanka, the rumor mill was that the Trump kids (other than Trump Jr.) hated being in the White House and government in general. I suspect they want to go, as quickly as possible, back to being in the background where they can resume being massive white collar criminals.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 16, 2021

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

The COVID lung damage is morbidly fascinating for me. My brother had/has severe asthma, so it’s hard for me to wrap my head around the lung damage being so severe, especially with the afflicted not noticing in some cases.

For those of you that did catch it, and had mild to no symptoms, have you noticed a drastic change in lung capacity? What’s been the most unexpected side affect/symptom?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

ASAPI posted:

The COVID lung damage is morbidly fascinating for me. My brother had/has severe asthma, so it’s hard for me to wrap my head around the lung damage being so severe, especially with the afflicted not noticing in some cases.

For those of you that did catch it, and had mild to no symptoms, have you noticed a drastic change in lung capacity? What’s been the most unexpected side affect/symptom?

The inability to Google things hits real hard

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Jesus christ this. "Let them fight" was a mantra that went around during the '16 Republican primary, remember how that turned out?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

MRC48B posted:

Jesus christ this. "Let them fight" was a mantra that went around during the '16 Republican primary, remember how that turned out?

Yeah she's the only one that manages to sometimes come off as human and just smart enough not to get entirely lumped in with the other 2 idiots (I'm talking relatively here).

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I agree you should Google everything rather than asking a group of people whose opinion you would trust more than random poo poo on Google

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

maffew buildings posted:

I agree you should Google everything rather than asking a group of people whose opinion you would trust more than random poo poo on Google

Because I don't know what a credible source is, you're right.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I Googled about COVID and learned it's all a plot by Bill Gates and China, thanks

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Discussion Quorum posted:

I Googled about COVID and learned it's all a plot by Bill Gates and China, thanks

Ah, so you've been reading Ben Garrison too

brains
May 12, 2004

20 Blunts posted:

swing by the milhist thread if you really want to get into why!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Nick Soapdish posted:

Ah, so you've been reading Ben Garrison too

I watched some gun videos on YouTube and now I get nothing but Epoch Times ads :eng99:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve had my viewing history disabled on YouTube since the dark ages.

It seems to make recommendations based only on the current video and on my subscriptions, which works for me.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think we have to worry about Ivanka, the rumor mill was that the Trump kids (other than Trump Jr.) hated being in the White House and government in general. I suspect they want to go, as quickly as possible, back to being in the background where they can resume being massive white collar criminals.

Yeah, but you know what the problem is with that reasoning (I had the exact same reasoning around Q3/4 of last year, thinking that they'll want no part in politics and just feed of the business positions they've built during Trump's term)?
The last couple of weeks have shown that they're being painted as persona-non-grata in the business world increasingly, and I have absolutely no doubt that they're eyeballing a continuous presence in politics to milk the fanatic base that Trump's rhetoric has cultivated. After the events on the 6th, no-one can tell me that the MAGA-cult can be siphoned off by "centrist" or "establishment" Republicans (gently caress all of them anyway), so why wouldn't they just keep cooking the recipe of the "grassroots Tea Party" movement that the GOP lost control of in like 2008-2009 to keep making money?

The BEST CASE outcome is that this hurts the GOP's attempts to wrestle back control of the fanatic fraction of their voter base and prevents a unified voting-block in the 2023 primaries/2024 election, but that's mighty optimistic, and still drives the fracturing of the country.
The worst case, however, is that the spineless shitlords of the GOP get taken hostage again because they realize that any candidate they could possibly field against ~a Trump~ in the next two general elections would go under in no time, and just rally behind someone like Ivanka, who actually has the ability to come off as a human being while pursuing the same lovely loving rhetoric and policies her old man did.

And that poo poo terrifies me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, but you know what the problem is with that reasoning (I had the exact same reasoning around Q3/4 of last year, thinking that they'll want no part in politics and just feed of the business positions they've built during Trump's term)?
The last couple of weeks have shown that they're being painted as persona-non-grata in the business world increasingly, and I have absolutely no doubt that they're eyeballing a continuous presence in politics to milk the fanatic base that Trump's rhetoric has cultivated. After the events on the 6th, no-one can tell me that the MAGA-cult can be siphoned off by "centrist" or "establishment" Republicans (gently caress all of them anyway), so why wouldn't they just keep cooking the recipe of the "grassroots Tea Party" movement that the GOP lost control of in like 2008-2009 to keep making money?

The BEST CASE outcome is that this hurts the GOP's attempts to wrestle back control of the fanatic fraction of their voter base and prevents a unified voting-block in the 2023 primaries/2024 election, but that's mighty optimistic, and still drives the fracturing of the country.
The worst case, however, is that the spineless shitlords of the GOP get taken hostage again because they realize that any candidate they could possibly field against ~a Trump~ in the next two general elections would go under in no time, and just rally behind someone like Ivanka, who actually has the ability to come off as a human being while pursuing the same lovely loving rhetoric and policies her old man did.

And that poo poo terrifies me.

I think its probably safe to say that the Trump Org is not coming back in any major way: The Feds want to talk to them, multiple States are investigating them, as you said their banks are done with them, they owe massive debts they cannot secure more loans for.

Yeah, the concern is more that someone else will fill the Trump's shoes.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
They're definitely already working on how they get someone like Tom Cotton in to the nomination and HOPEFULLY the Dems get it through their loving heads this is all out war and just don't meet in the middle to heal and give every loving nutjob in Congress that helped make this happen a pass but as a quote I saw said (maybe here?) the only thing more insane than thinking Trump won is that the Dems will use their power

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, this is exactly right. gently caress her, gently caress that entire family, gently caress anyone ever associated with them.

If anyone of them gets anywhere near public office, like in the Senate or House, it'd be to set up a presidential run.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Militarydotcom/status/1347011707152068608

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1350517778407706628

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m still confused over whether “asymptomatic” is supposed to mean literally no symptoms or just not having a cough. Having lung damage is obviously a pretty severe symptom. Is there another term that would apply?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The parachute tends to keep the person that's jumping from dying when they hit the ground, I think

:golfclap:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fallom posted:

I’m still confused over whether “asymptomatic” is supposed to mean literally no symptoms or just not having a cough. Having lung damage is obviously a pretty severe symptom. Is there another term that would apply?

Latent is probably a better descriptor - I think its used to mean no visible symptoms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fallom posted:

Symptoms are something a patient experiences.

Signs, in contrast, can be measured with external tools.

Headache is a symptom. Low blood sugar is a sign. A rash can be either.