Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I'm making beautiful beautiful jewelry and cards and I'm so incredibly lucky that I have this massive hobby to keep me busy but I need a hug so badly

Edit: don't mind me I was down about the psoriasis and having to quarantine yet again due to my mother but I have much to be grateful for. I don't have coronavirus I am not sick and I am grateful. :embarrassed:

Spinz fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

We got a presentation at work this week from a ucsf doctor about mask effectiveness. She talked about the studies where researchers put masks on golden syrian hamsters which must have been the cutest thing ever

We regret to inform you that no hamsters wore masks.

Instead, their cages were enveloped in mask fabric.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Platystemon posted:

Noooooo

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Noooooo! My dream!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

I knew that (and even had a link that said it) but I didn't want to ruin people's hopes and dreams so I didn't post it

You monster :mad:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My sister had an interesting Covid-19 adventure. Her co-worker felt ill before Christmas and tested positive. Not long thereafter, sis and her husband felt ill. Just general malaise and I guess body aches (she said her "organs hurt," and compared it to mono). No cough. She got two PCR tests, tested negative on both. Her doc said that everything she was experiencing was consistent with Covid, and her test might have been too late to detect it.

So she tells me yesterday that her chest has been hurting for two days. Today, her doc sent her to the ER, fearing a possible clot or heart attack. Turns out, her pain responds to touch. They said that her ribcage cartilage was inflamed, and that's apparently a common symptom of Covid-19. The ER folks agreed that she had it, despite her never testing positive.

So, inflamed ribcage. Never heard of that one.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
What the gently caress. :stonk:

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

azurite posted:

My sister had an interesting Covid-19 adventure. Her co-worker felt ill before Christmas and tested positive. Not long thereafter, sis and her husband felt ill. Just general malaise and I guess body aches (she said her "organs hurt," and compared it to mono). No cough. She got two PCR tests, tested negative on both. Her doc said that everything she was experiencing was consistent with Covid, and her test might have been too late to detect it.

So she tells me yesterday that her chest has been hurting for two days. Today, her doc sent her to the ER, fearing a possible clot or heart attack. Turns out, her pain responds to touch. They said that her ribcage cartilage was inflamed, and that's apparently a common symptom of Covid-19. The ER folks agreed that she had it, despite her never testing positive.

So, inflamed ribcage. Never heard of that one.

It sounds like you’re describing costochondritis. It can be caused by muscle strain. I developed it after doing some bad crunches and consistently carrying a too-heavy bag on the same shoulder, then had a big flare-up one year when I had bronchitis and was coughing hard for several months. My sister has it too, probably from the HIIT exercises and Pilates she does at home.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, the Google machine says it both is and isn't caused by Covid. :shrug:

Seems like we still have a lot to learn about it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

azurite posted:

Yeah, the Google machine says it both is and isn't caused by Covid. :shrug:

Seems like we still have a lot to learn about it.

covid is a blood vessel disease, it can hurt everything in your body that has blood vessels. it just tends to land on the lungs the most

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
LMFAO at HIIT exercises during quarantine like I'm in pain gee you think ??
and GL to your sister and family. Thanks for sharing the outlier case .

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

covid is a blood vessel disease, it can hurt everything in your body that has blood vessels. it just tends to land on the lungs the most

Cartilage has awful blood supply and flow so I feel it would be more of a side effect at most.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

How do they handle a visor? It's a bit less comfortable to wear, but should be better in terms of breathing.

That's about all I've got, on the assumption they're in a place where they can't get disability or unemployment support or negiotiate a work schedule that allows them to take breathing breaks.

A visor protects the wearer from direct sprays of sneezing or coughing. That's all. It does not protect others the way a surgical mask (probably) does1, and it does not protect the wearer from inhaling aerosols or droplets (the way an N95 mask can if worn properly).

Healthcare staff will wear both an N95 mask and a visor when interacting directly with patients, because they might get sneezed on.

So, no, a visor cannot substitute for a mask and it is hard to find situations where we should be recommending visors for the general public. If everyone with symptoms stayed isolated, no one would need a visor.

Edit: Sources:
1https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16490606/

quote:

Some surgical masks may let a significant fraction of airborne viruses penetrate through their filters, providing very low protection against aerosolized infectious agents in the size range of 10 to 80 nm. It should be noted that the surgical masks are primarily designed to protect the environment from the wearer

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 16, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mithaldu posted:

Right this is the main issue

It's also why you are seeing young athletes being diagnosed with myocarditis

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've had costchondritis a couple times, always from coughing too much and too hard. My worst came from pneumonia a few years ago. I had to sleep sitting up for 3 months and couldn't raise my arms past my shoulders, otherwise my ribs would get stretched and it was agonizing.

And sneezing made me scream out in pain and nearly pass out, really dizzy and seeing stars. It's a horrible thing to go through.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
I got my second dose of pfizer yesterday and I am feeling it today. Arm is very sore, 99.7 temp, mild aches, fatigue, lymph nodes in my neck and armpits a bit tender, and mild headache. Taking some acetaminophen and getting out of bed seems to help. Hopefully I don't catch the real deal in the next week.

Maryland doesn't require masks in gyms so no one at mine wears one. :( I really wanted to start going again once my bf gets his second dose locked in. Now I'm worried both of us will end up carriers and infect his parents who are only eligible for vaccination in phase 2 and 3.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Winnie the poo poo posted:

Maryland doesn't require masks in gyms

I feel like I learn something new every day about specific state covid regulations and what they leave out that makes me go :psypop:

congrats on the vaccine tho!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

A visor protects the wearer from direct sprays of sneezing or coughing. That's all. It does not protect others the way a surgical mask (probably) does1, and it does not protect the wearer from inhaling aerosols or droplets (the way an N95 mask can if worn properly).

Healthcare staff will wear both an N95 mask and a visor when interacting directly with patients, because they might get sneezed on.

So, no, a visor cannot substitute for a mask and it is hard to find situations where we should be recommending visors for the general public. If everyone with symptoms stayed isolated, no one would need a visor.

Edit: Sources:
1https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16490606/

Visor is also good to remind you to stop touching your face holes. Protecting you from your own drat self.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Visor is also good to remind you to stop touching your face holes. Protecting you from your own drat self.

This is actually true. My hand has stumbled with the visor when I, without thinking, try to touch my face.
I like to use a visor 'cause people in the street tend to cough and sneeze all over place. I just had some guy from a printer having a coughing fit while handing out my change. Thankfully he was wearing his mask and I was wearing my paranoid-gear (double mask and visor).

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Desperado Bones posted:

This is actually true. My hand has stumbled with the visor when I, without thinking, try to touch my face.
I like to use a visor 'cause people in the street tend to cough and sneeze all over place. I just had some guy from a printer having a coughing fit while handing out my change. Thankfully he was wearing his mask and I was wearing my paranoid-gear (double mask and visor).
i heard double mask isn't any more effective and is potentially less effective due to possibly loving with seal? (feel free to correct me, knowledge goons, this is hearsay) if you want legit paranoid gear, get a respirator (full-face is meta, half-face protects from inhaling covid particles but technically could still absorb into eyes) and P100/N95 filters for it. this post is a good source for information and links to buy stuff. from my experience, respirators are in steady supply but the filters are either backordered or marked up 3x on other sites

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Stunt_enby posted:

i heard double mask isn't any more effective and is potentially less effective due to possibly loving with seal? (feel free to correct me, knowledge goons, this is hearsay) if you want legit paranoid gear, get a respirator (full-face is meta, half-face protects from inhaling covid particles but technically could still absorb into eyes) and P100/N95 filters for it. this post is a good source for information and links to buy stuff. from my experience, respirators are in steady supply but the filters are either backordered or marked up 3x on other sites
Yeah the recommendation in that post to use Digi-Key is a good one. Still got lots of filters: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/60921/5128110, and they ship pretty fast.

And if say the Amazon reviews are any indicator, people are getting respirators that they think were used before. Dunno if they were returned after not fitting, or if that was from third-party sellers on AMZ not AMZ itself, or if the reviewers were just wrong (quite possible). But you won't get used crap from Digi-Key.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Do any respirators have exhalation filters or is the jury-rigged do-it-yourself approach mentioned in one of those posts the only way to accomplish it?

I finally got a mask that fits me and feels like good protection (from REI of all places) but I still think about a respirator, too.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I got my second dose of pfizer yesterday and I am feeling it today. Arm is very sore, 99.7 temp, mild aches, fatigue, lymph nodes in my neck and armpits a bit tender, and mild headache. Taking some acetaminophen and getting out of bed seems to help. Hopefully I don't catch the real deal in the next week.

Maryland doesn't require masks in gyms so no one at mine wears one. :( I really wanted to start going again once my bf gets his second dose locked in. Now I'm worried both of us will end up carriers and infect his parents who are only eligible for vaccination in phase 2 and 3.

I stopped going to the gym after 2 times when they first opened in Chicago and no one gave a single gently caress. I was lucky enough to get 180 pounds of weights, a bench, pullup bar and some bands for about $300 and while I can't really lift heavy anymore and having to unscrew the dumbbells after every set is a pain I can lift more often and with my own music blasting, its actually pretty nice, would highly recommend if you have the space.

If money isn't a huge issue I can't recommend the 95 pound select tech dumbbells, I had them over a decade ago (wish I hadn't sold them), they are so versatile and awesome but go for about $600-$900 on the second hand market.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, until everybody in your circle has been vaccinated, you have to assume you are an asymptomatic carrier if you want to keep them safe. Unless they come out with new data that shows you can't spread sit when vaccinated.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Not surprising, not awesome
https://twitter.com/PoliticoRyan/status/1350614580750385152?s=20
So what about people who recover from covid and are then doing athletic stuff normally again? If say a marathon runner is able to run like they used to, is that indicative of their lungs being ok? Or am I making a big assumption about there being a substantial number of people who get back to normal in the first place...:gonk:

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah the recommendation in that post to use Digi-Key is a good one. Still got lots of filters: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/60921/5128110, and they ship pretty fast.

And if say the Amazon reviews are any indicator, people are getting respirators that they think were used before. Dunno if they were returned after not fitting, or if that was from third-party sellers on AMZ not AMZ itself, or if the reviewers were just wrong (quite possible). But you won't get used crap from Digi-Key.

Yeah a lot of uncommonly needed stuff like tools, party decorations, and costume clothes will usually be a used item that was returned if you buy from Amazon. They don’t usually check for damage or missing parts so it’s really a crapshoot and I wouldn’t buy anything I rely on for safety there.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Stunt_enby posted:

I'm honestly curious of how it fucks with the seal (I wear a normal blue surgical mask and over it a N95 and then a face shield). I'm also considering cutting my hair really short as my gigantic pony tail makes it a hassle to put the shield on.

I'm gonna check the link, although it might be stuff that's out of my reach :cry:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sex Skeleton posted:

Yeah a lot of uncommonly needed stuff like tools, party decorations, and costume clothes will usually be a used item that was returned if you buy from Amazon. They don’t usually check for damage or missing parts so it’s really a crapshoot and I wouldn’t buy anything I rely on for safety there.

When I was looking on amazon there were also reviews from people that claimed to have gotten fake filters.

If I want fake filters I'll go to aliexpress, thank you very much.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Yeah, assume everything on Amazon is counterfeit, basically.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

When I was looking on amazon there were also reviews from people that claimed to have gotten fake filters.

If I want fake filters I'll go to aliexpress, thank you very much.

I got fake filters. Late January I ordered a 20 pack of N99 filters I found listed on Amazon for 1¢. 3 months later they showed up and they were basically brown napkins diecut into the shape of a filter.

It cost me 1¢ so it was actually more than I expected to get.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Lazyhound posted:

Yeah, assume everything on Amazon is counterfeit, basically.

Yeah, Amazon is mostly resellers at this point, you can't really rely on anything being what it says it is unless it is sold directly by Amazon. I had to buy a rack mounted router for work and it showed up without the rack mount equipment despite being specifically listed as having them. Other stuff has shown up broke or the wrong thing entirely. I hate the people I work with because they believe Amazon is an actual good supplier and base designs off things that they can find there.

Anyway, Uline, Digi-Key, McMaster Carr, CDW, Faison Office Products, Mouser and a few other places are usually slightly more expensive, but they ALWAYS deliver the thing you bought and will provide documentation to prove it.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm honestly curious of how it fucks with the seal (I wear a normal blue surgical mask and over it a N95 and then a face shield). I'm also considering cutting my hair really short as my gigantic pony tail makes it a hassle to put the shield on.

I'm gonna check the link, although it might be stuff that's out of my reach :cry:

The N95s are made to press directly into your face and give you the imprints you see on nurses. If it doesn't have that direct seal to hairless skin it's pretty much the same as a surgical mask (similar material)

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Zugzwang posted:

Not surprising, not awesome
https://twitter.com/PoliticoRyan/status/1350614580750385152?s=20
So what about people who recover from covid and are then doing athletic stuff normally again? If say a marathon runner is able to run like they used to, is that indicative of their lungs being ok? Or am I making a big assumption about there being a substantial number of people who get back to normal in the first place...:gonk:

This study seems very weird because there's a guy in cspam who literally does the scans, some doctors and such, a bunch of papers from China and elsewhere, etc that have never shown anything like this.

Specifically you def see some lovely scans that clear up entirely, you def see some pretty big damage in severe cases, you see what you'd expect, but this universal mega damage where your lungs don't work and you somehow don't know it is kind of like, well you'd notice.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SchnorkIes posted:

This study seems very weird because there's a guy in cspam who literally does the scans, some doctors and such, a bunch of papers from China and elsewhere, etc that have never shown anything like this.
That’s good to hear.

Tbh I should have known to be more skeptical; media science reporting in general is absolutely dreadful.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Zugzwang posted:

That’s good to hear.

Tbh I should have known to be more skeptical; media science reporting in general is absolutely dreadful.

I mean it can definitely still turn your lungs into Philly steaks, but you'd notice

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do any respirators have exhalation filters or is the jury-rigged do-it-yourself approach mentioned in one of those posts the only way to accomplish it?

I finally got a mask that fits me and feels like good protection (from REI of all places) but I still think about a respirator, too.

There is one valveless model on the market, it came out in October, is only sold to corporations and probably at a dear price.

Everything else is valved.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
The "valves spread covid worse than a simple cloth face covering" thing isn't even true

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, Amazon is mostly resellers at this point, you can't really rely on anything being what it says it is unless it is sold directly by Amazon. I had to buy a rack mounted router for work and it showed up without the rack mount equipment despite being specifically listed as having them. Other stuff has shown up broke or the wrong thing entirely. I hate the people I work with because they believe Amazon is an actual good supplier and base designs off things that they can find there.

Anyway, Uline, Digi-Key, McMaster Carr, CDW, Faison Office Products, Mouser and a few other places are usually slightly more expensive, but they ALWAYS deliver the thing you bought and will provide documentation to prove it.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a bag of beans, from a third party with amazon prime because what are they going to do, send me counterfeit beans? Well, they sent the wrong beans, with a small sticker indicating, incorrectly, that they were the right beans. I could not initiate a return because they were not eligible for return, even though it was the wrong item. I explained this to a support chatbot, and it agreed right away that I shouldn't have to pay for something I never received and gave me a full refund. I got to keep the wrong beans.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Back just before Christmas I was exposed, and thankfully didn't get it. The person who exposed me lives with their whole family, whole family had gotten it and since recovered. Their first move? Go out to a restaurant to celebrate. I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

coronatae posted:

Back just before Christmas I was exposed, and thankfully didn't get it. The person who exposed me lives with their whole family, whole family had gotten it and since recovered. Their first move? Go out to a restaurant to celebrate. I feel like I'm losing my mind.

people on the whole don't seem to care and it's loving bonkers. I'm glad you got the jab, that Christmas scare sounds like a nightmare. stay safe out there fellow goon