Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I've been in a bit of a painting slump, so I hope finishing this is a sign that's over. First mini of January!

The mad Titan Stone Giant, Thane Ohs

Edit: Guardians of the Galaxy D&D

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Toebone posted:

I want to invest in some nicer brushes; what do people recommend? It seems Rosemary and Co. are well regarded.

I’ve tried Windsor Newton series 7, Raphael 8404, Citadel Artificer, Rosemary & Co, broken toad, and Artis Opus

Every time I go back to the Raphaels. They are extraordinarily good.

Extremely high quality, and unlike almost every other brush there, have a big body in the brush for paint, which makes a meaningful difference when you’re painting, especially if you glaze, wet blend or paint more than one figure at a time.

Highly, highly recommended.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Yeast posted:

I’ve tried Windsor Newton series 7, Raphael 8404, Citadel Artificer, Rosemary & Co, broken toad, and Artis Opus

Every time I go back to the Raphaels. They are extraordinarily good.

Extremely high quality, and unlike almost every other brush there, have a big body in the brush for paint, which makes a meaningful difference when you’re painting, especially if you glaze, wet blend or paint more than one figure at a time.

Highly, highly recommended.

I have a size 2 raphael 8404 and it's my favorite brush by far compared to the other brands. But the Da Vinci and Rosemary & Co ones are a close second.

I'm curious to try out the set Verisimilidude linked

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

:golfclap:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The 40 minute marines are done! (I may redo the original test marine just so he fits in with the rest.

I could probably put another 20 minutes per model to do some panel lining with gryph charger grey...but not today lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verisimilidude posted:

The 40 minute marines are done! (I may redo the original test marine just so he fits in with the rest.

I could probably put another 20 minutes per model to do some panel lining with gryph charger grey...but not today lol

drat I love your results. I know that you're still waiting on some transfers for shoulders and stuff, but something I think would go a long way would be to paint the trim on the shoulder pads red. Shoulders and helmets are such a prominent part of marines that spending a tiny bit of effort on them goes a long way, even for rank and file dudes like this. If you want to panel line anything on them, if you just did the shoulders and helmet no one would notice you didn't do the rest of the model.

To paraphrase Vince Venturella: Faces, Bases, Banners and Shields. But also shoulders and weapons.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I have a size 2 raphael 8404 and it's my favorite brush by far compared to the other brands. But the Da Vinci and Rosemary & Co ones are a close second.

I'm curious to try out the set Verisimilidude linked

The art supply shop near me has Raphaels in stock, next time I'm over there I'll grab one or two.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Toebone posted:

The art supply shop near me has Raphaels in stock, next time I'm over there I'll grab one or two.

Seriously I got one with the notion of "this is probably overrated, there's no way it could be that good" and then for all of my space wolves I used it to do every bit of cleanup and detail work where I fell in love with it. My process was very GW of base coats, pin wash, cleanup, highlight, freehand, drybrush and having a sharp brush with a big belly was so handy for cleanup, highlight, and freehand.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
But also if you do get some nice brushes, take really good care of them because it's not like the sables can be harvested while alive so make the most out of it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eej posted:

But also if you do get some nice brushes, take really good care of them because it's not like the sables can be harvested while alive so make the most out of it.

For real. Squidmar just put out a very solid video on brush care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCWd1TPHZOw

I am brutal on my drybrushes but just cleaning them with brush soap after each time I use them has prolonged the life of these $1 makeup brushes for entirely too long.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Spanish Manlove posted:

drat I love your results. I know that you're still waiting on some transfers for shoulders and stuff, but something I think would go a long way would be to paint the trim on the shoulder pads red. Shoulders and helmets are such a prominent part of marines that spending a tiny bit of effort on them goes a long way, even for rank and file dudes like this. If you want to panel line anything on them, if you just did the shoulders and helmet no one would notice you didn't do the rest of the model.

To paraphrase Vince Venturella: Faces, Bases, Banners and Shields. But also shoulders and weapons.

I thought about making the shoulder rims red but I really don't like the look. I feel it makes them look much smaller than they actually are

as for panel lining, I totally could and probably will do it in the future, but I feel less inclined to do it on regular troops, especially when the airbrush already gives a bit of definition to the armor panels already

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verisimilidude posted:

I thought about making the shoulder rims red but I really don't like the look. I feel it makes them look much smaller than they actually are

as for panel lining, I totally could and probably will do it in the future, but I feel less inclined to do it on regular troops, especially when the airbrush already gives a bit of definition to the armor panels already

Hmm, you got a point. But some extra color there would be a nice touch, I just think it's just a little too monotone on the parts that are the most iconic on marines

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Crosspost

After 2 months of delays I finally finished these Eradicators this week. Felt great to finish them, and I was happy with the way the bald head came out. I had to retire my old W&N #0 in the middle of these, the replacement worked so much better I should have done it sooner. Next up is the old #1 but its out of stock on Amazon currently and I couldn't find a 8404 #1 to try either.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fingat posted:

Crosspost

Tidy

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Painting ghosties is SO satisfying. Just blending and fun colors, super zen.

I was trying to approximate the AOS Nighthaunt look in my Blood Bowl Wraiths instead of the boring all white sheets.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Crossposting from the 40K thread. My new paints arrived so I added some additional weathering to my Chaos Predator.

About a year ago I built and painted my Chaos Land Raider.

I went back and did some additional work to it. I’ve drilled out the barrels for any guns that needed it, magnetised the two sponsons (they were originally pressure fit, which was only semi reliable), and added some dirt and weathering.

I think I’m done with tanks for now.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I think I’m done with tanks for now.

They look awesome.

I feel this sentiment. I'm on the home stretch with my Imperial Knight and quite frankly, can't wait to get back to painting little mans. It's been a process.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
I painted a thing

When I started this I wanted it to be just chill and fun, so I decided not to take my time, make use of things like contrast paints to make life easier and not worry about perfect edges (for me this has made painting not fun in the past).
I used the classic Great Gargant as inspiration

But I wanted it to look big and weathered, like a ship that’s spent too long at sea. Very happy with the results, and it was an absolute blast to paint. I know I could have done more interesting things with weathering etc, but I was using what I have available, and not worrying too much.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

the fart question posted:

I painted a thing

owns so hard

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Spanish Manlove posted:

For real. Squidmar just put out a very solid video on brush care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCWd1TPHZOw

I am brutal on my drybrushes but just cleaning them with brush soap after each time I use them has prolonged the life of these $1 makeup brushes for entirely too long.

I've been learning how to paint well for. A few years now, and never heard anyone mention some of these tips thanks for this!

Speaking of brushes, I think I want to invest in a nice set especially with this new information. I have a few redgrass brushes that are pretty nice, but I've definitely done a few of those "don'ts" in the video with them.

Have any new brushes came out in the past few years that are noteworthy? The brush set in that guy's video seems like a decent price, anyone experience them yet or is that still to come out? I'd love a set that comes with a nice case for them, but I can always buy that separately.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It took me a week but I finally painted a single 8 point troop.

I picked up some Vallejo Pigments based on verisimilidude's work with them and I look forward to experimenting with them more because they totally obliterated all the detail on my original basing but that's ok, everything's a learning experience.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I just finished two more Intercessors from the Iron Hands and Ultramarines for the Fortis Kill-Team I'm building slowly. Not as good at painting faces as some other goons here recently but...

I still have 4 more before I finished the ten!

the fart question posted:

I painted a thing

That is so epic :swoon:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 17, 2021

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How are those fleshtone contrast paints for actually painting skin? I feel like contrast paints would be really good for flesh.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How are those fleshtone contrast paints for actually painting skin? I feel like contrast paints would be really good for flesh.

The darker ones with some highlights have worked well for me.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I used Guilliman Flesh for the organic parts of my Maulerfiend.

I’m personally very pleased with how it turned out, so I’m going to use the same paint on my Helbrutes and anything else fleshy.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Well its taken me all year so far but i finally finished my first model of 2021. I thought a knights army might be on the cards this year, but after doing this and two armigers, I think im going to take a break until inspiration strikes for the idea behind the next one. This is supposed to be a 40k take on a Penitential, a book of sins and penances - essentially, commit sins against the imperial creed and the corpse walker of the Abbess Radegund will force the appropriate penance upon the sinner.

Largely citadel paints and lots of sponge weathering. Lots of fun to paint but lots of lessons learned both on painting and building a vehicle this size.

Click for insanely huge.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

lenoon posted:

Well its taken me all year so far but i finally finished my first model of 2021. I thought a knights army might be on the cards this year, but after doing this and two armigers, I think im going to take a break until inspiration strikes for the idea behind the next one. This is supposed to be a 40k take on a Penitential, a book of sins and penances - essentially, commit sins against the imperial creed and the corpse walker of the Abbess Radegund will force the appropriate penance upon the sinner.

Largely citadel paints and lots of sponge weathering. Lots of fun to paint but lots of lessons learned both on painting and building a vehicle this size.

Click for insanely huge.

This is awesome, definitely has that classic Blanche / gothic-baroque flavor. The cherubs are a great touch, really gives it a sense of scale.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

lenoon posted:

Click for insanely huge.

This whole thing is great and the candles in particular are a very nice touch. Did you scratch build those or are they bits from something else?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That's an excellent mess, top work :hellyeah:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

lenoon posted:

Click for insanely huge.

That thing is grungy as hell and I love it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm working on some Imperial Knights that I'm planning on painting before fully assembling (it's the middle of winter, and days where I can quickly pop outside to spray a piece are few and fare between at the moment), but should I brush on the wash before or after gluing the various bits together? I'm leaning towards after just so that it will also go into any recesses made from where the various pieces connect together.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Randalor posted:

I'm working on some Imperial Knights that I'm planning on painting before fully assembling (it's the middle of winter, and days where I can quickly pop outside to spray a piece are few and fare between at the moment), but should I brush on the wash before or after gluing the various bits together? I'm leaning towards after just so that it will also go into any recesses made from where the various pieces connect together.

I did that. It was a pain to get some spots, but I think it would've been tedious to do it all separate.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Thank you for the kind words guys, it’s been a labour of love! The candles come from all over the place - taro modelmaker, anvil industries, bad squiddo and a few that I sculpted. Most of the purity seals are oyumaru casts which is something I tried out for the first time with this thing. The cherubs are just the ones you get in the sisters kit.

I really wanted it to look like it had walked right out of that classic Blanche sisters of battle image, and I think I more or less achieved that.

In terms of order of painting I assembled the legs and torso without the plating first so that I could base, dry brush wash and weather uniformly across the whole thing. Some of the dry fits are tight enough that a layer of paint on each piece might be an issue.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy shiiiiit :swoon:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I recently got a huge second hand Eldar haul. First model in my army done.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I did a head-swap conversion on one of the new Necron Overlords because I think the new Necron heads look like trash.

I also converted a Royal Warden and painted some other one-off minis.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 18, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

This feels like the place. I printed and painted a dice tower:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I wanted to paint this guy up in my space wolves colors rather than the normal judiciar colors. So I started out with blue grey armor and dark blue on the cloak then put a thin layer of black templar over that. The black templar worked way too well and obliterated the colors underneath, so I chalked it up as a failure and just did a very boxart like paint job on him. However, I challenged myself to do it without drybrushing or sponging in order to practice some brush control. I think I got the point across with texturing that the cape and the armor are two different materials even though they're both black. Oh and that set of golds finally arrived from scale 75 so I tried some layering and highlights with those. Not super enthusiastic with the white on the hourglass as made up something on the spot by putting down an off white and then stippled pure white on that. But it's fine, I'm happy to have another model done.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

w00tmonger posted:

This feels like the place. I printed and painted a dice tower:

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I used Guilliman Flesh for the organic parts of my Maulerfiend.

I’m personally very pleased with how it turned out, so I’m going to use the same paint on my Helbrutes and anything else fleshy.

I realized I never posted my helbrute here. I used Fireslayer Flesh with some highlight of AP barbarian flesh for the fleshy bits there, and I like how it turned out.