Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

highme posted:

This sounds amazing
https://twitter.com/ShredHood/status/1348776315277643776

It's almost as weird as naming wire types after birds, and what the gently caress is an Arbutus.

We are mostly Hawk, Grosbeak, Drake, Cardinal, Bittern type of folks. But yeah, I guess just easier that 1272 kcmil 45/7 conductor...

That rain looks bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Welp I planned on going skiing tomorrow thinking it would snow on me and not rain but the freezing level here is going to be at 5800 feet so it'll be tight.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Steve French posted:

I'll add some thoughts after a handful of days out with our 3 year olds: I have yet to see how well it's really working out in terms of learning, but our kids are not quite at the point where they can really form a real snowplow and control their speed, but we're still taking them out on the hill and holding them between our legs and going down various slopes. Most of the time they need to be supported a bit, but we let them go completely on some of the real flat stuff where I'm not worried about them getting out of control or hitting anything. I'm no instructor and once I feel like they're responsive enough to benefit from it we'll get them lessons, but for now it's a fun time out with the family and they are having a great time, so even if it's not the most productive possible thing we could be doing learning wise, I think it's still beneficial. So my advice is not to be afraid of getting them out there and focusing on just having a good time to start.

This is great to hear. I very recently had the lightbulb pop to take this on this year, so we don't have a proper harness, but I have one on order that I'll have Friday. We actually have some fairly substantial vertical right here on property, as well as a some long, slower grades that aren't too painful to huff back up. I think I will get her at least 1 real lesson with an instructor this year; even if the only thing that sticks is "sometimes I go to a bigger place and a person I don't know tries to lead me around", that will be helpful for her comfort with a clinic next year. A clinic this year would make me at least slightly nervous about COVID, but our own kid is pretty good about masks and not eating random stuff, so I think 1:1 is fine.

I worked stuff out with my boss to get some morning skiing in a couple days a week. Thin cover; if we hadn't had 24 hrs of 50 degrees and rain on Christmas Day, there would probably be another 36" of base -- as it is, I need a rewax, got some gouges and hit dirt once or twice.

Not many people, just how I like it.

HookShot posted:

Welp I planned on going skiing tomorrow thinking it would snow on me and not rain but the freezing level here is going to be at 5800 feet so it'll be tight.

Neat, 5800' is 1559' above the very peak of the tallest ski slope at Killington, which is the tallest in the state :rolleye:

I like the thick snow just fine; my aging knees want me to move to Colorado. Also this is the warmest year on record here, a trend I worry will probably continue and could make the whole concept of skiing here impractical in my lifetime. That's not much to be sad about compared to the oceans dying etc, but it's hard to see it happening.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 12, 2021

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Was on a lift last night and passed over 2 snowboarders sitting in the middle of the run watching YouTube tutorials. I hope they learned what they needed, obviously the video didn't touch on where to stop

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Took the dogs out this morning for a skin workout in the rain. Friday, taking a backcountry class with a local guide to get my wife comfortable with touring. Is all good.

Except the conditions.

He got tired.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Tomorrow’s going to be a sharpen the skis kind of day

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

Nah... you are just getting them ready for this weekend's rail jam!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Nah... you are just getting them ready for this weekend's rail jam!

It’s gonna be extra fun! If you fall you slide to the bottom of the park lol

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I have more edge damage on my 2 year old board that started this season with razor sharp edges than I do on boards I've been riding for a decade+.

And I don't care because I need the mental clarity it affords me, rocks be damned.

As we say in my household, thats just your free edge tune and base grind. Complimentary!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I'm a later adopter of skiing. Started in 2016 at the age of 29.

Life time total days skied I've got around 70 at my local '750 vert "mountain resort"

7 days in Vermont, 3 days Jackson Hole and 4 days in CO.

I think my favorite run anywhere is Lower East Fall at Killington. It's a single black that is pretty steep. My first season I had 15-20 days at the local resort before heading off to Vermont. I struggled to get down single blacks and Lower East Fall was no exception. I basically just turned my Skis perpendicular and scraped my way 75% of the way down because it was too steep. I skied out the last 25% of the run.

2nd season I got in another 30 or so days before VT. I crushed Lower east falls, I had improved enough that I could actually ski the whole thing, but rather conservatively, not trying to pick up speed until the last 1/3rd of the run. Lapped it 3-4 times.

3rd season I was attacking lower east falls and trying to go fast the whole way. Which was great in the morning hitting it 3 times. Then around 3pm I decided to head back to lower east falls and rip it as my last run for the trip.

So I let it rip and a split second later realized all the snow from the morning had blown away and it was basically a hard packed slab before I had picked up too much speed to even think about turning or slowing down. It was one of those fight or flight response moments where you need to either crash now and hope its fine, or ride it out and go straight and pick up even more speed. So I straight line french fry bombed it for like 85% of the run. It was utterly terrifying. I was going so fast I knew that if I crashed I could die. I had so much momentum that I couldn't slow down at the bottom through the long flat straight away where a bunch of other trails merge, which were luckily all empty and then I finally started to slow down going up the small incline to the Canyon Quad charilift, which had been closed all day to wind.

I had to just stand there for 10 minutes just panting, waiting for my heart rate to slow down and to stop shaking I was so amped on adrenaline. I don't think I've ever been that physically scared before in my life.

TLDR: 3rd season skiing I accidently got out of control on a steep single black at Killington and just had to ride it out in a straight line. A crash at those speeds could have killed me and the panic attack afterwards felt like it nearly did.

Thanks for listening to my skiing story. That's the one and hopefully only time I've felt like I was a danger to myself or others on the slopes.

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 15, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Keegers posted:

Was on a lift last night and passed over 2 snowboarders sitting in the middle of the run watching YouTube tutorials. I hope they learned what they needed, obviously the video didn't touch on where to stop

One of my friends once noted snowboarders hitting a full size (24"?) bong on a lift and we could not loving figure out exactly how that all worked. Thank the 20-teens for shatter and wax pens, gamechanger.

Also, gently caress it, I'm putting our 4 year old on a chairlift next week. We've been "skiing" down the driveway with me just holding her under her arms, and as of today we have a real kid harness deal, and all weekend to practice with it. I talked to the people at the mountain, and while I was out today I also saw several other parents doing exactly what I'm thinking of (including a woman who was just doing the "hold 'em under the arms with no harness" trick with a similarly small child. I don't think the practice slopes at Mad River are any steeper than our driveway (probably less, mostly) -- they just go on a lot further, and then we can chairlift up instead of me carrying her over my shoulder ;)

I told kiddo "hey, any time we ski, but especially if we go to the real mountain, there is some chance that we'll fall, no matter what I do to try to prevent that. If we fall, it might hurt. Are you cool with that?"

She's just like YES DAD I HAVE MY HELMET LETS DO THIS

My wife seems almost as concerned about the possibility of me killing or maiming the kid, as she is ecstatic at the prospect of having us both gone from the house at the same time several times a week :allears:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 15, 2021

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

HookShot posted:

Went out for some afternoon laps today. Hands down the worst conditions I've ridden in that I can recall. Pure ice.

My edges must be a clean bullnose now.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

You basically need to hit terminal velocity to have any hope of making it back to the lodge from the bottom of those trails haha. Good for you for surviving.

When the snow is good those trails are amazing but steep ice definitely predominates in my experience.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

HookShot posted:

Forecast for whistler says snow. Getting better up there?

It was 11 degrees in Vancouver and 8 on top of Cypress today (not that I went skiing). And my beacon was scheduled for delivery today but is in Memphis. I'm about bail and move to the kootenays or something.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

stratdax posted:

Forecast for whistler says snow. Getting better up there?

It was 11 degrees in Vancouver and 8 on top of Cypress today (not that I went skiing). And my beacon was scheduled for delivery today but is in Memphis. I'm about bail and move to the kootenays or something.

It’s ok from halfway up Harmony. It was amazing seeing people who don’t understand how snow works beneath the chair the other day.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

th3t00t posted:

Thanks for listening to my skiing story. That's the one and hopefully only time I've felt like I was a danger to myself or others on the slopes.

I loved this story.

Moey posted:

Went out for some afternoon laps today. Hands down the worst conditions I've ridden in that I can recall. Pure ice.

My edges must be a clean bullnose now.

I heard it was absolutely awful as well. Reallllllly looking forward to the back country tomorrow...should be something.

stratdax posted:

I'm about bail and move to the kootenays or something.

This is the correct line of thinking no matter the conditions on the coast.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I've literally never been to whistler in the winter, but I've spent a lot of time at revy, red, fernie, castle and whitewater. Interior BC skiing is the stuff dreams are made of.

of course living less than 30min from snowbird is also the stuff dreams are made of, I just miss the glades in BC

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Awesome day today. I am pretty tired after skinning 1200m verts which I guess shows I've been slacking a bit during the plague. The snow is absolutely :discourse:

I was going to do some lift served skiing afterwards but it was getting pretty busy and I don't fancy getting covid, so I bravely went back to the chalet to drink beer.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Awesome day today. I am pretty tired after skinning 1200m verts which I guess shows I've been slacking a bit during the plague. The snow is absolutely :discourse:

I was going to do some lift served skiing afterwards but it was getting pretty busy and I don't fancy getting covid, so I bravely went back to the chalet to drink beer.

That terrain is beautiful. Where is that?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

World Cup chat, last year's overall winner Aleksander Aamodt Kilde tore his ACL today, season over. That sport om-nom-noms knees like Pacman.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I just need to vent. My kids were invited on a ski trip out of state. We came up with a plan to comply with that states quarantine and our own states quarantine. When we told the other family that we would be coming but also complying with quarantine, we were disinvited. These aren't random idiots; these are educated NYers.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ola posted:

World Cup chat, last year's overall winner Aleksander Aamodt Kilde tore his ACL today, season over. That sport om-nom-noms knees like Pacman.

Ugh, that sucks. He was currently second or so this season, too, and only second because there have been way more tech than speed on the men's side.

Yuns posted:

I just need to vent. My kids were invited on a ski trip out of state. We came up with a plan to comply with that states quarantine and our own states quarantine. When we told the other family that we would be coming but also complying with quarantine, we were disinvited. These aren't random idiots; these are educated NYers.

If it makes you feel better, if "complying with quarantine" is the sort of thing that gets you disinvited, it's probably best you're not going. That really blows though and I'm sorry.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yuns posted:

Which Vermont resort were you headed to?

https://twitter.com/outofpodcast/status/1350456260668362755?s=21

Seriously that sucks though. Good for you for trying to keep people safe.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HookShot posted:

Ugh, that sucks. He was currently second or so this season, too, and only second because there have been way more tech than speed on the men's side.

He is pretty good in GS, which I think is his niche in the grand scheme of things. Speaking of knees, haven't you done yours this way and that a few times?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Out of all of the ill-conceived half measures they took to reduce covid transmission here, getting rid of the live music at the on-mountain bar is the worst. And now I’m leaving because this is the second Jimmy Buffett song in a row.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ola posted:

He is pretty good in GS, which I think is his niche in the grand scheme of things. Speaking of knees, haven't you done yours this way and that a few times?

I’ve been lucky, I haven’t done my ACL, just the meniscus in both knees and the MCL on one. I did have one real close call where my leg muscles were in constant spasm for two weeks after; my physio said they basically overcompensated to the point of loving themselves but if they hadn’t my whole knee would have gone.

I’ve never, ever regretted doing a single squat since then.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

knox_harrington posted:

Lovely.

The snow in Colorado got just blasted by the wind the last few days. Today was kind of my first "bad" day of the season. We got just enough snow last night to cover up the wind and sun crust but not enough and not consistent.

Also I will take your low elevation so I can do more vert.

Partial Octopus posted:

Pretty sure he is usually in the Banff area.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
drat it. One of our young U10s landed off a huge jump badly and spiral fractured her femur.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yuns posted:

drat it. One of our young U10s landed off a huge jump badly and spiral fractured her femur.

that sounds really not good.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

spwrozek posted:

that sounds really not good.
Definitely not good. Will need surgery but thank god she didn't injure her femoral artery.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yuns posted:

spiral fracture

Holy moly, one of my worst nightmares. Best wishes, hope it goes well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yikes, yeah, that's awful.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Thanks for the well wishes. Doubt I'll see her parents tomorrow but will reach out to them later.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Did some ski touring a few weeks ago in the Truckee area. Avy risk was high so we stuck with low-angle. Turns out skiing with a 30 lb 65L pack is tough.

(fwiw i was with 2 course 2s and a course 6 :shrug:)

Yuns posted:

oooouch

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Suicide Watch posted:

Did some ski touring a few weeks ago in the Truckee area. Avy risk was high so we stuck with low-angle. Turns out skiing with a 30 lb 65L pack is tough.

oooouch

What area is this? Guessing over towards Donner summit if nearer to Truckee than the lake?

...also why the heavy bag?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Suicide Watch posted:

What?

Also:

Steve French posted:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Partial Octopus posted:

spwrozek posted:

Pretty sure he is usually in the Banff area.

Close! This is Grimentz in canton Valais, southern Switzerland.

We had a bit more snow overnight and there's a load more forecast this afternoon so going to try and get a tour in this morning. If my girlfriend is ever able to get out of bed.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Its like FB ads have a window into my soul

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Steve French posted:

What area is this? Guessing over towards Donner summit if nearer to Truckee than the lake?

This was the Silver Peak/Billy's Peak area near the Bradley Hut (which was closed)

We brought a tent so we could set up camp in the forest, then I had my stove and sleeping bag/pad. Maybe it was closer to 20-25lbs, but having that weight not be fully tightened/strapped down on my back really messed with my skiing

continuation of the MIT-skiers chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
- double post-