Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 18, 1999)

I love how A&J makes the parents believeable. Arlo's obviously wrong(what middle schooler would give a single gently caress about some dumb boat their parents are looking at?) but it's not presented as mean spirited from any angle.

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

Yes, Richard Thompson dissed the Spider-Man robot gorilla story!
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Thompson had no taste. :smith:

2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ghostlight posted:

I remember her pretending her husband was her hulking gay friend during sex, and the husband pretending that he was the hulking gay friend during sex.

I'm thinking earlier, when she actually confessed the crush. I dunno, I'm certainly not going back through 9CL archives, maybe it's not quite like I remember.

But gently caress, that was kinda weird too, especially when all their friends excitedly talked about their roleplaying them.

Anyways, July 27th-29th, 1940 Comics

The Shadow

Flyin' Jenny I'm uh... gonna timg the Sunday, not quite sure what this guy's deal is but given that it's 1940, I'm gonna guess it's something that didn't age well.

And of course, Axa

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

I have no idea what this means and it's enraging me.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (May 31-Jun 1, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 24-27, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(May 28, 2018)

(May 30, 2018)

(Jun 1, 2018)

(Jun 4, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

I can't believe Grimm is loving dead

*heavy sigh*

Like this storyline had a couple of days of not being too bad. The family being nice to each other and all. But enough of that, time to poo poo on Tiff who had a very long story arc about having to downsize her lifestyle thanks to financial abuse from her dad's girlfriend. Tiff knows how to exist without a hot tub. But whatever. lol rich girl cares about her hair lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't understand why people defend her like she's a real person who's being mischaracterized. She's literally a character, so any characterization is just how she is.

It's not good writing but she doesn't have an honor to defend

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Bloop posted:

I don't understand why people defend her like she's a real person who's being mischaracterized. She's literally a character, so any characterization is just how she is.

It's not good writing but she doesn't have an honor to defend

Because it reflects deeply hosed up attitudes the author holds.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

Because it reflects deeply hosed up attitudes the author holds.

Sure but that's not how it's framed at all.

Well, sometimes it is obviously, but those aren't the times I'm taking about.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Bloop posted:

Sure but that's not how it's framed at all.

Well, sometimes it is obviously, but those aren't the times I'm taking about.

I don't personally need or want to be reminded of the framing that evans wants to punish the people who were mean to him in high school by proxy every time it comes out as inexcusably bad writing. But I don't mind people pointing out that he's doing it again.

It'd be like pointing out that brooke is blatantly writing his weird fetishes every time that turns into a hosed up strip

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Green Intern posted:

I have no idea what this means and it's enraging me.

I think it's supposed to be "Things will be so simple they'll be wind-up" but the metaphor doesn't really work. It's trying to be a joke about phones becoming modern dumb terminals, I think? No matter what, it's a bad strip.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

ikanreed posted:

I don't personally need or want to be reminded of the framing that evans wants to punish the people who were mean to him in high school by proxy every time it comes out as inexcusably bad writing. But I don't mind people pointing out that he's doing it again.

i like to feel like there is a massive power struggle between the daughter and the father and this story is his revenge for thirst week with jack last week

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FrumpleOrz posted:

I think it's supposed to be "Things will be so simple they'll be wind-up" but the metaphor doesn't really work. It's trying to be a joke about phones becoming modern dumb terminals, I think? No matter what, it's a bad strip.

It took me a couple months of following this thread to realize he's doing three different mediocre-to-bad comics a the same time. Too bad he can't distill down to one Ok comic.

And I just read the wiki for On the Fast Track and Safe Havens what the gently caress lol

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 17, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

There are no universes in which missing a Jets game is tragic.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

And I just read the wiki for On the Fast Track and Safe Havens what the gently caress lol

Why would you hurt yourself like this?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Technowolf posted:

Why would you hurt yourself like this?

I don't currently have the best internet in the world and for whatever reasons both of those comics rarely ever loaded. No issue with Kevin and Kell though. Odd. So I saw all three together for the first time and I was like what the hell... then begin my decent into madness. From the random fast tracks I've read I thought Dethany was Death's human form avatar(like Gaiman's Sandman stuff) deciding to live a really boring life. Boy was I wrong. poo poo was even weirder than I thought possible.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Never forget. Safe Havens was originally about a day care center.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Addams and Evil - 1947

(sorry, last one is "1950.")

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of The Timid Soul (November 30, 1948), that's an absolutely amazing quilt. Realize that HT Webster had to draw each of those separate patterns by hand.

I guess this strip pre-dates the introduction of a unified emergency phone number? I can appreciate why Caspar has the FBI's number there, but what the DA could do, I don't know.

Feels a bit weird for Caspar to be sleeping alone here.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PainterofCrap posted:

Addams and Evil - 1947

Saving this one. Possibly for the spaceflight thread, possibly for a politics thread.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

lol

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good move, tinkdad.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

A baby is not a parrot, you dingdong.

EBB posted:

If Vin is alive, who did the kids murder and eat for the competition?

amigolupus posted:

I'm gonna guess it was the elk Rudy spared, because :lol: at the idea of a nameless prey surviving.

Good guess, but actually no.

"Now he'll never learn about show don't tell!"

This strip is timely.

Of course, the body being "the carcass of a talk radio host" just raises further questions. Where did the birds get the body? Did they kill the radio host on purpose to disguise them as Vin? Or do they just have plenty of corpses on ice in case they need to fake someone's death (as they just did Fenton's)? If so, where do they get all those bodies? Remember that the law in this hellworld is that you can kill someone to eat them, but if you don't, it's murder.

And here I go putting way too much thought into a comic strip.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
the birds corral the aggressiveness of the carnivores by allowing them to murder anyone they want whenever they want, without any repercussions.

An herbivore that fights back is an existential threat to be destroyed.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

I think the joke translates across pretty well on its own, but it's worth stressing that "humpuuki" is an old Finnish word for humbug, and is used to indicate all kinds of nonsense, pseudoscience etc. So this might as well be "Doctor Flimflamstein's sensational method for winning the lottery".

E: Fingerpori reaches for the low hanging fruit but I like the details, like that one cat eating cartoonish dead fish :3:

As long time readers might remember, for reasons that probably made sense at the time, some old movie theaters are called "BIO" somethings in many parts of Europe*.

(* German inventors Max and Emil Skladanowsky invented and popularized the Bioscop projector system in the late 19th century, which is probably why you still find Bioscoops and Bio Reginas and whatnot throughout Europe)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 17, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/16/01

Brenda Starr 7/15/45

Smokey Stover 4/16/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

While ago I had missed a payment (due to carelessness) and got a call from a collection agency. Afterwards I got a standard customer service feedback message: "Would you recommend us to your friends?"

"Oh yeah, hey buddy, stop paying your bills and a nice lady will call and ask if you need more time to handle it"

(that must be pretty depressing job if you are not a sadist)

Surgeon's Tales

This backstory sounds so silly, that I'd presume he is either a real person or at least a local folk legend, but I couldn't find any additional info.

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

This is the only strip I still remembered after 24 years and it's certainly pretty wild. And yes, it's exactly as awkward in Finnish.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mikl posted:

This strip is timely.

Every time I think this comic can't get more gross, it gets a little more gross.

EBB fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 17, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely brokenhearted at being unable to reach getseniorsonline.org this morning. Googling the phrase takes you to a Facebook group that has seen one update since 2013. The link off the group won't respond, and neither will going directly there.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kennel posted:

While ago I had missed a payment (due to carelessness) and got a call from a collection agency. Afterwards I got a standard customer service feedback message: "Would you recommend us to your friends?"

"Oh yeah, hey buddy, stop paying your bills and a nice lady will call and ask if you need more time to handle it"

(that must be pretty depressing job if you are not a sadist)

My boss's son backed out on some package deal with a driving school, which then immediately sicced a collection agency on him. Cue my boss's wife googling them and pointing out all the one star reviews of the collection agency as proof they were thugs.

Like, sending a collection agency after someone after one day of missing payment is illegal (in the Netherlands at least) but are you really expecting positive reviews on a collection agency?

edit: I suppose people who hire them might be content. But they're going to be massively outnumbered every time.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul (November 30, 1948), that's an absolutely amazing quilt. Realize that HT Webster had to draw each of those separate patterns by hand.

I guess this strip pre-dates the introduction of a unified emergency phone number? I can appreciate why Caspar has the FBI's number there, but what the DA could do, I don't know.

Feels a bit weird for Caspar to be sleeping alone here.

Pretty nice quilt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_quilting

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Come to think of it, one thing I hadn't realised while posting today's set of Classic K&K strips: how do Aura and Fenton know each other? She's Rudy and Bruno's teacher, not his, and they haven't interacted on-panel that I can remember. Is it normal to be able to identify your girlfriend's step-brother's teacher on sight?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Parahexavoctal posted:

I guess this strip pre-dates the introduction of a unified emergency phone number?

As a kid in the 60s, my mother taught me to dial 0 for the operator in the event of a fire/emergency. Nine-one-one didn't come along to our area (US) until probably the mid-70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits