Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Paper Lion posted:

but in terms of romcom representation, mmo junkie is ok but i would absolutely replace it with Tada Never Falls In Love or Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy/My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. i know you didnt ask for more stuff on your list but it seemed like a genre that was pretty underrepresented
i guess the advantage with mmo junkie is that it's a romance that takes place between adults instead of high schoolers, though it still indulges in will they, won't they? tropes

If you want a high school romcom that's a hilarious farce and weaves whole gags out of relationships never progressing, there's nozaki-kun
If you want a high school romcom with a similar sense of humor but also allows for gradual progress and character development, there's kaguya-sama
If you want a shoujo romcom that wholeheartedly indulges in romance, maybe some other poster can provide a suggestion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Coaaab posted:

If you want a shoujo romcom that wholeheartedly indulges in romance, maybe some other poster can provide a suggestion
My Love Story

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Wow, thanks all for the detailed thoughts and recommendations. Here's my attempt to synthesize:

- List swaps: Kill la Kill --> Gurren Lagann, Recovery of an MMO Junkie --> Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun (thanks for all the recommendations on this front; I picked one that was available on my chosen streaming services and that looked nice)

- Bad: Wanna Be the Strongest in the World (I think this one was recommended because I'm a pro wrestling fan, but there's probably better takes on that from what I'm hearing)

- Bad but enjoyable: Prison School

- Good but wait: Attack on Titan

- Great: Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Gunbuster, Madoka Magica, Paranoia Agent

Everything else sounds like it's somewhere in the "pretty good" camp. It's nice that a lot of the last bucket is also pretty short.

Unsurprisingly, the same friend recommended Kill la Kill, Prison School, and Wanna Be the Strongest. He also recommended a show called "Bikini Warriors" that I did not add to the list.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 11, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh poo poo

this is from someone who has never touched rl wrestling, but Tiger Mask W is a great recent wrestling series after some rocky early episodes.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Hikaru should be in Great, OP.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

mycophobia posted:

Hikaru should be in Great, OP.

I appreciate your passion, but this motion to recategorize would require another goon to second it before being approved. :colbert:

(especially given that it's like 5x the length as most of these shows; a lot of them seem to be single-season runs)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

surf rock posted:

I appreciate your passion, but this motion to recategorize would require another goon to second it before being approved. :colbert:

I have the good taste of two standard anime watching forums users. Trust me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont know that i'd describe prison school as enjoyably bad or w/e when everything thats enjoyable about it is entirely what it sets out to do in the first place tbh

i havent watched all of tiger mask w but from what i have seen of the later eps it's got some great stuff

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

tiger mask w whips absolute rear end if youre a big njpw fan. seeing anime tanahashi going apeshit while training...if only the mans joints were really that mobile...........

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

surf rock posted:

Everything else sounds like it's somewhere in the "pretty good" camp. It's nice that a lot of the last bucket is also pretty short.

I would also put A Place Further than the Universe, Hyouka, and Shirobako under the "great" heading, with the caveat that they're a lot more laid back / less action-packed than the shows you listed as ones you enjoyed. Just my two cents, that's a pretty great list you've assembled overall!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

surf rock posted:

(especially given that it's like 5x the length as most of these shows; a lot of them seem to be single-season runs)

I think ping pong should be moved to great then on the grounds that the year it aired, it was voted anime of the year by adtrw :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ninjewtsu posted:

I think ping pong should be moved to great then on the grounds that the year it aired, it was voted anime of the year by adtrw :colbert:

that qualification is a value-neutral statement at best

it's great because it's a Masaaki Yuasa show

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just saying that many goons approved

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

kaiba is yuasa's magnum opus but if someone put up a fight and insisted it was ping pong i would understand their position and wish them well

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I liked Ping Pong a lot more than Kaiba or Tatami Galaxy

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I liked Tatami Galaxy a lot more than Kaiba or Ping Pong

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Kaiba's first 7 episodes are fantastic, but the back half is a lot weaker. Still overall a good show though. I'd say I got more value out of Tatami Galaxy, but both are wholly worth watching because they seek to do different things. It's kind if an apples to oranges comparison. I still haven't seen Ping Pong yet, but it's on my to watch list for this year.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think kaiba, tatami galaxy, ping pong, and eizouken are all roughly equally great but ping pong is my fav if i had to pick one

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

for me Kaiba just stands so tall relative to his other stuff because it's basically the last time he went aesthetically wild in an original series. since then it's been originals where you get some fantastical elements like merpeople etc but the people look like people, and his adaptation choices have allowed for some of the same but are still ultimately adaptations so you have stuff like Ping Pong/Eizouken retaining the original author style which isn't hitting that Kaiba high mark of variance.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kaiba is kinda messy but its themes land harder for me than ping pong or kemonozume and it has some really cool scenes

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I've not seen Kaiba. I liked Tatami Galaxy when it came out but thinking about it again it kind of suffers from "male lead with no redeeming qualities" syndrome and I kind of wish it was a show centered around Akashi instead. (The Night is Short, Walk on Girl is similar)

Anyway. Wanna Be the Strongest in the World is not a good show and I'm already a big wrestling fan. It is too horny to live (both in sight and sound).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the point of tatami's protag is that he has no redeeming qualities until he grows at the end though... i feel like it's a fair bit different from something less abstract about it. i wouldnt call it an issue walk on girl has at all either, it's 90% a story about the weird adventures the girl gets caught up in

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
"no redeeming qualities" is sort of technically true i guess, but he's still a relatable and sympathetic character imo. most of the show is just bad things happening to him all the time, often but not always due to his own stupid and selfish actions. he constantly gets his comeuppance for being that way which makes him a kind of pitiable anti hero

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is inuyasha worth watching? Ranma was my first anime back in the day but I never got into inuyasha. I see Hulu has the whole thing on there, but I guess my main questions are is it good and how filler-y does it get?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Is inuyasha worth watching? Ranma was my first anime back in the day but I never got into inuyasha. I see Hulu has the whole thing on there, but I guess my main questions are is it good and how filler-y does it get?

As someone who digs a lot of Takahashi stuff I could never get into it, I feel like she's at her best when she doesn't have to worry about a serialized narrative. If you're thinking of checking it out because of Ranma then Urusei Yatsura or Maison Ikkoku would be better picks.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m watching the Ghost Stories dub and it’s a lot of dumb fun. Are there other instances of the English dub cast screwing around with an average script like this?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’m watching the Ghost Stories dub and it’s a lot of dumb fun. Are there other instances of the English dub cast screwing around with an average script like this?

Samurai Pizza Cats and Cromartie High are probably the other big ones, of the top of my head. Panty and Stocking might count, though that's more of a good script made even filthier than it already was.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Isn't the Cromartie High school dub just a well performed localization of the original script rather than some totally new thing?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
As far as stuff that actually hit TV, Pizza Cats and I think Shaman Kings did stuff.

Edit: Yeah, It's Duel Masters I was thinking of, not Shaman Kings

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 15, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Isn't the Cromartie High school dub just a well performed localization of the original script rather than some totally new thing?

Yeah, Cromartie is a actual localization, not a re-write.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Duel Masters.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Azran posted:

Duel Masters.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Duel Masters dub takes a sorta by-the-numbers card game shonen and turns it into a parody of the genre.
Case in point: the main character has a brooding, edgy rival who's always dressed in a black leather jacket with no shirt underneath. The dub added a scene at the very end of an episode where he features prominently to tell viewers you should always wear a shirt underneath your leather attire to prevent chaffing.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
GX season 2 and 3 are godlike

BlueDekuNuts
Jan 15, 2021

I just recently watched Evangelion with my boyfriend and man it was so amazing, he also showed me Akira which I had no idea about till then. They were both delightfully psychological and mind-blowing. I showed him Perfect Blue after that and I was wondering if anyone knows any other shows of a similar vein? I haven't been able to find much besides Paranoia Agent and I just thought it got too off the rails towards the end.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

BlueDekuNuts posted:

I just recently watched Evangelion with my boyfriend and man it was so amazing, he also showed me Akira which I had no idea about till then. They were both delightfully psychological and mind-blowing. I showed him Perfect Blue after that and I was wondering if anyone knows any other shows of a similar vein? I haven't been able to find much besides Paranoia Agent and I just thought it got too off the rails towards the end.

I would follow up with the directors' other works. Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent are both directed by Satoshi Kon for example, so you'd probably enjoy his other films like Millennium Actress and Paprika.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

BlueDekuNuts posted:

I’d go ahead with the rest of Satoshi Kon’s movies

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AnoHito posted:

I’d go ahead with the rest of Satoshi Kon’s movies

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

BlueDekuNuts posted:

pick any given show or film by Masaaki Yuasa. Kemonozume probably has the most in common with Evangelion or Akira but they're all good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BlueDekuNuts posted:

It's a big time ask at 75 episodes but Monster is incredibly good.