Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I always figured Raw was just the go-to SL1 build thing.

drunken officeparty posted:

I don’t understand so I am going to keep my broadsword just normal

The guide I’m using to know what area to go next doesn’t have the dlc parts in it. Last game I finished and it started the game over before I even knew I had the dlc so then it was too late unless I played all over again in ng+. Will that happen to me again

You can poke into the DLC whenever you want. Because of bonfire warping, you can always zoop out if you don't like it there. They are independent from the main game and are generally scaled for "endgame" but you will find neat stuff in there that you can grab even at lower levels.

When I played DS2 I would do a slowly-expanding sweep of areas, pushing forward in one spot until it started to get difficult, then taking a break from that and going to do something else. Once you get past the Shrine of Winter, the progression of the game narrows considerably but I think the DLC actually does a really good job of making the latter half of the game feel more like the earlier half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
warning for the DLC because I found it real annoying when I ran into it blind: Each DLC area has one area that's explicitly for multiplayer and designed assuming you're bringing at least one buddy, so they're real annoying to get through solo. I went with the real boring option of despawning the enemies before summoning and taking the summons to the boss, but you don't have to do that if you're determined enough

e: oh and thanks for the answers everyone! Makes a lot of sense now

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 16, 2021

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'll actually straight up call out the names: Cave of the Dead, Iron Passage, Frigid Outskirts. When you get to a bonfire named one of those, that's the DLC co-op area. They were originally intended for people who didn't own the DLC to enable them to get DLC-exclusive items. (That "this sign is being channeled from far away" message you get when you first enter the DLCs is where you'd drop your sign to get summoned into the co-op area.)

This is entirely obviated in the Scholar version, but the levels are still there and still mostly suck, though IMO the gank squad boss is at least fun in a challenge run sorta way. Smelter Demon Blue Flavor and Aava But There's Two Of Them are just hard for no particular reason.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
One thing to take into account when deciding whether or not to infuse, infused weapons gain far more benefit from enchantment spells. In Dark Souls, weapon buffs give you a set damage and are therefore more beneficial on fast weapons. In this game, the enchantment bonus depends on the sum of the weapon's AR without scaling bonuses. Elementally infused weapons have a 40% higher total base AR and therefore receives a lot more extra damage from weapon buffs. Even if you just get a little intelligence for GMW, chance is an elemental infusion will be beneficial, even with say 40 strength. You get a further bonus if the weapon enchantment matches the element already on the weapon (except for fire weapon, in which you get a penalty instead).

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

One niche use for Raw I've found is the broadsword; a raw +6 broadsword takes no rare upgrade materials to craft, can be two handed with only 8 strength, and has the damage and a nice sweeping arc that allows you to catch and wipe out all of toxic rats at the start of the Rat Authority fight with under a stamina bar.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Djeser posted:

I'll actually straight up call out the names: Cave of the Dead, Iron Passage, Frigid Outskirts. When you get to a bonfire named one of those, that's the DLC co-op area. They were originally intended for people who didn't own the DLC to enable them to get DLC-exclusive items. (That "this sign is being channeled from far away" message you get when you first enter the DLCs is where you'd drop your sign to get summoned into the co-op area.)

This is entirely obviated in the Scholar version, but the levels are still there and still mostly suck, though IMO the gank squad boss is at least fun in a challenge run sorta way. Smelter Demon Blue Flavor and Aava But There's Two Of Them are just hard for no particular reason.

Frigid Outskirts can gently caress right off. I despise anything that limits my visibility.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm probably the only person who loves frozen outskirts.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

I'm probably the only person who loves frozen outskirts.

I love the zone but hate the loving reindeer. Probably doesn't help I was using the Heide Spear, though :v:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

Frigid Outskirts can gently caress right off. I despise anything that limits my visibility.

Same but I hate more the parts with ankle deep water hiding cliffs everywhere

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Same but I hate more the parts with ankle deep water hiding cliffs everywhere
If you're still in the process of dealing with that area: having a torch out makes the water much easier to see through.
Pisses off the creepy guys hiding in the shallows though.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Why can't Dark Souls protags swim?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The flow of water is convoluted in drangleic

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Armor is heavy. Thick cloth robes and capes are also heavy when wet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

Kindling isn't very useful soaking wet

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

And Tyler Too! posted:

The undead fear deep water

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Humanity is canonically super heavy and sinks when in water :pseudo:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

What about Bloodbourne guy? Are they an insta-sinker too?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
in bloodborne you spend the whole drat game with 1 purpose in mind: to become a squid so you don't drown anymore

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Floating in water? Couldn't be me. Sekiro breaks with this proud tradition and it's the clear delineator of why it's not a true soulsborne game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Samopsa posted:

in bloodborne you spend the whole drat game with 1 purpose in mind: to become a squid so you don't drown anymore

lol

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Actually I can't think of a place in Bloodborne where you're in danger of falling into an insta-death void while in the water. There's a lot of places where it's dangerous to be in the water, like the Nightmare Frontier, but I don't think there's ever the DS1/2 thing of water obscuring a cliff that you fall off of.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Djeser posted:

Actually I can't think of a place in Bloodborne where you're in danger of falling into an insta-death void while in the water. There's a lot of places where it's dangerous to be in the water, like the Nightmare Frontier, but I don't think there's ever the DS1/2 thing of water obscuring a cliff that you fall off of.

Actually I think it's only DS1/DS2 that contain threats of drowning. I can't think of any other instances of underwater death pits in the rest of the series.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Djeser posted:

They should have put one in Altar of Despair. Really earn the name

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Djeser posted:

there's the DLC path into the fishing village right after exiting the astral clocktower, though you'd have to really veer off the obvious path to do it by accident, maybe by trying to get a better look at yharnam down there

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The pile of garbage looking fucker that explodes out of bonfires when you light them and scares me can eat a dick

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I've spent like a hundred hours in this game and I still get owner but the mace knights from Heidi

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The pile of garbage looking fucker that explodes out of bonfires when you light them and scares me can eat a dick

Yeah agreed

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
The goofy NPCs in DS2 are really good. Straid, Aldia, wheelchair man, the loving cat that's just a normal housecat

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

feelix posted:

The goofy NPCs in DS2 are really good. Straid, Aldia, wheelchair man, the loving cat that's just a normal housecat

No wheel? No deal?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Shalquoir rules because she's the most insightful and knowledgeable NPC you meet and she's a cat. What's her deal? gently caress you. enchanté

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018
With video games I'm normally very much a once and done kind of player but I'm looking to play through all the DS games again trying builds I've never done before (as I inevitably always fall back on massive swords or sword and board - so many failed starts with those...) and the idea of dual Caestus in DS2 really appeals to me from what I've read in this thread. What would be some tips on setting up a build that dual wields Caestus'?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Zirak posted:

With video games I'm normally very much a once and done kind of player but I'm looking to play through all the DS games again trying builds I've never done before (as I inevitably always fall back on massive swords or sword and board - so many failed starts with those...) and the idea of dual Caestus in DS2 really appeals to me from what I've read in this thread. What would be some tips on setting up a build that dual wields Caestus'?
- you buy two Caesti asap
- you get enough stats to powerstance them (15 str/11 dex)
- don't forget pay the Adaptability tax
- L1

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

To expand a little:
- your weapons scale extremely well with Str and Dex (but more with the former), so do pump it
- the trve punchman build is ofc very honorable, but you do have a lot of raw Str and there's a lot of long-range clubs which you could easily wield, and some (Demon Great Hammer, Dragon Tooth...) don't even need upgrades to be stronk. Just saying in case there's a boss or difficult encounter where the low, low range frustrates you.
- your weapons are extremely light so don't be afraid to wear phat armor to counter the "have to hug their taint" necessary fighting style damage you might incur
- if you're getting bored of Caestus only, there's an even cooler fist to upgrade to (BONE FIST). You gotta have access to DLC3 (so you need to reach Drangleic Castle), and beat Aava because otherwise you can't light the torches there. Or you assist someone in killing reindeers in the Frozen Wastes (don't do this). Bone Fists need 45 dex to powerstance, keep that in mind if you're eventually going for that

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018

Simply Simon posted:

To expand a little:
- your weapons scale extremely well with Str and Dex (but more with the former), so do pump it
- the trve punchman build is ofc very honorable, but you do have a lot of raw Str and there's a lot of long-range clubs which you could easily wield, and some (Demon Great Hammer, Dragon Tooth...) don't even need upgrades to be stronk. Just saying in case there's a boss or difficult encounter where the low, low range frustrates you.
- your weapons are extremely light so don't be afraid to wear phat armor to counter the "have to hug their taint" necessary fighting style damage you might incur
- if you're getting bored of Caestus only, there's an even cooler fist to upgrade to (BONE FIST). You gotta have access to DLC3 (so you need to reach Drangleic Castle), and beat Aava because otherwise you can't light the torches there. Or you assist someone in killing reindeers in the Frozen Wastes (don't do this). Bone Fists need 45 dex to powerstance, keep that in mind if you're eventually going for that

Awesome, thanks! That's a great help, can't wait to start fisting some enemies. I have SotFS & DLCs so I definitely want to go for the Bone Fist(s). Excited to try something quite different to my well-worn weapon groove in this game!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Have fun, it's a really amazing run. It's way beyond a meme, you will see enemies melt like candles in the sun. The moveset is also surprisingly deep, don't take my "L1" joke as gospel. The L2 is underpowered but funny as hell, the uppercut (R2) can stun some things the L1s can't, and don't forget you can break powerstance and instead two-hand the Caestus (yes you can) by hitting triangle/Y twice, which increases single-punch damage and gives you some vertical range.

Bone Fist moveset is even better ofc it owns so much holy poo poo

One more thing I almost forgot: Get the Stone Ring. You can easily punch the Ogre in the butt by baiting its sit-down attack over and over, do yourself the favor and make the game massively easier with this. Oh, and you might also want to consider Flynn's Ring for this build (you don't need to pump Vit after all), so maybe choose a class with 9 or less Vit and don't invest.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Stone Ring on any fast, light weapon moveset is the funniest thing in the game.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

How's powerstanced daggers? I almost always have a dagger in a right hand slot just for the backstab/finisher damage, but I've never actually tried two.

Do caestus or bone fist powerstance with any other non-fist weapon?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Powerstanced Daggers are very fun. Very fast L1s as is the norm, but get this: two Mytha's Bent Blades. Poison Ring from the Rat Cov, the Shulva wrist piece, and baby you got yourself a build going.

Also you can backstab and riposte like a mofo, naturally.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Appoda posted:

How's powerstanced daggers? I almost always have a dagger in a right hand slot just for the backstab/finisher damage, but I've never actually tried two.

Do caestus or bone fist powerstance with any other non-fist weapon?

Fist and Claw weapons (like you get from Laddersmith Gilligan, or the Suspicious Shadows in No Man's Wharf) can be powerstanced together, but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

zombie king boss is impossible

and yes I know I don’t have to