Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SimonSays posted:

Use the french term IMO, call them Automatic Pedals

Americans would immediately develop semi-automatic pedals and fully automatic pedals and that would be another thing to be pedantic about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

ExecuDork posted:

The worst-case scenario for bad-but-not-obviously-bad tires is, what? sudden tire disintegration? I mean, the absolute worst thing that could happen. Basically, fall off your bike at speed is the scenario, and that's only if you don't notice the impending disaster before the tire converts itself into a frayed strip of dirty rubber. Seems unlikely. Other failure modes I can think of are all along the lines of "Hmmm... that doesn't look good. I'll not ride on that today!"

Much more likely: you get to ride on tires you got for free for a while, then replace them when they're worn out just like any other tire.

I bought a hardly ridden bike from a former video game business co-worker that has been sitting in a garage for 5 years. Tires lasted about 100 miles.

Still, the best deal I ever made.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Sab0921 posted:

Suggested name changes:

Clipped Pedals --> Strapped pedals

Clipless pedals --> Clip-in pedals

Flat Pedals --> Regular pedals

Theyll always be flats to me

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Pedals with cleats = cledals
Pedals with straps = stredals
Ordinary pedals = pededals

mystes
May 31, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Pedals with clips are clipless pedals, so clearly pedals with straps are strapless pedals. I guess by analogy that makes platform pedals training pedals?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Salt Fish posted:

Coming soon to a Kickstarter near you:
epedals

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
LMAO some of the more common tube sizes we order are all on backorder.

ETA: June 25

This summer is going to suck so much.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
gently caress time to switch all 6 of my bikes to tubeless.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Now that I have new wheels that tubeless up OK on my hybrid I'm doing the same. Only thing that won't be tubeless is my fatbike and I'm sourcing a new wheelset for it. Almost pulled the pin on a lightbicycle carbon set but they only go down to 8psi before you blow beads.

Speaking of which commuting in the winter is p hilarious now that I can actually lock up my wheels with 2 fingers. And by hilarious I mean sketchy AF.

Riding on skating ice is so much fun.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 17, 2021

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Had a proper fitting yesterday. Fixed my cleat position, and ended up dropping my saddle down 5° and forward 8mm. Not to jsut gget a new 130mm 10° stem and I'll be all set up.

Also apprently I've been sitting wrong this whole time and now have a new position to teach myself to sit in. Gonna be fun!

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

X13Fen posted:

Had a proper fitting yesterday. Fixed my cleat position, and ended up dropping my saddle down 5° and forward 8mm. Not to jsut gget a new 130mm 10° stem and I'll be all set up.

Also apprently I've been sitting wrong this whole time and now have a new position to teach myself to sit in. Gonna be fun!

I’ve been considering a serious fitting, do you think it was with the money?
Did you do the whole bit with sensors?
Does the new position feel better, or just different right now?

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Anza Borrego posted:

So far, it just feels different. Going to do a couple rides this week to see how it goes, although I don't have the new stem yet. But I'll at least be able to see if my groin and feet don't go numb anymore!

No sensors, but a lot of photo/video. I've got a follow up appointment in a month or so to judge if the changes have worked, and will have replaced my stem by then, so should be able to judge the fit as a whole

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Sab0921 posted:

I think I've posted about this before - but I got utterly destroyed by COVID last summer - couldn't walk to the kitchen without having to sit down and catch my breath.

I got into cycling as a way to get my fitness back and was hooked. I started doing 10 mile rides a few days a week and a long ride (25-40 miles) on Saturday mornings. poo poo is fun. I got interrupted by a new baby in November - but he's getting older so long rides are a possibility again.

I hit a personal mileage goal and my wife told me I could go out and get something fancy.

Yesterday went and picked up a proper dentist bike - a new red Cervelo Caledonia. Looking forward to getting a yellow jersey to go along with my dentist bike and hitting the road and trails in the area!

2021 Goals - 1500 miles and a century ride. Mileage isn't as high as most here, but trying to be reasonable given the multiple diapered children and work commitments.

Edit: I meant 2021 goals!

Got the same bike last year, it’s pretty sweet. I converted to tubeless tires and do a decent amount of gravel riding as well as regular road riding.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Do you guys save old tubes? You could patch them and offer them up for anyone that just needs to get rolling.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
We usually give em to a guy that makes a living selling home made juggling sticks and torches (yes really) but he hasn't been picking up lately.

In the winter we also cut em up to hold skis together.

We'll definitely be patching this summer.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Do you guys save old tubes? You could patch them and offer them up for anyone that just needs to get rolling.

I knew that pile of punctured tubes I never bothered patching would eventually come in handy!

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

Last I checked, under US$50 24” tires are backordered a while too. I can't wait to tell parents that it'll be $70 to change a tire that their kids have skidded the bejesus out of

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Worth it for those long skid marks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
definitely want a button in strava to challenge nuke these fuckin hoes who use ebikes to ruin every segment KOM. no fuckin way you did 26mph uphill you loving shitlord.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BraveUlysses posted:

definitely want a button in strava to challenge nuke these fuckin hoes who use ebikes to ruin every segment KOM. no fuckin way you did 26mph uphill you loving shitlord.

Now now, they could be a world tour rider.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Anza Borrego posted:

Can't recommend a good fit enough (I used foundation bike fit for any London goons). In the end the changes that got made were pretty small but I feel so much more planted on the bike and I feel like by pedal stroke is more efficient.

Unrelated but I've decided I'm going to jump to disc with a velobuild frame. Tempted to try and build wheels myself, anyone have any experience of doing this?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wheel building is p zen you just have to have patience and double check every step along the way. It's a bit cost prohibitive if you don't have any of the tools on hand though. A spoke tension meter itself costs a lot more than paying someone else. A worthwhile investment if you're planning on doing it more than once but otherwise I'd just get a shop with a good wheel builder to do it for you.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Optimus Subprime posted:

Got the same bike last year, it’s pretty sweet. I converted to tubeless tires and do a decent amount of gravel riding as well as regular road riding.

Same. I put tubeless 32's on there

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I wish I could put Strava into ebike mode too. I just want to record where I rode, I don't care about setting a daily segment record.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I wish I could put Strava into ebike mode too. I just want to record where I rode, I don't care about setting a daily segment record.

You can, and please do. There’s an ebike ride activity type.

You also can flag activities that look like they’re impossible/cheating, from the website.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Steve French posted:

You can, and please do. There’s an ebike ride activity type.

You also can flag activities that look like they’re impossible/cheating, from the website.

Oh, is that new? I'm recovering from ankle surgery, so I haven't ridden since October. I'll have to go back and update some of my old rides.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Unrelated but I've decided I'm going to jump to disc with a velobuild frame. Tempted to try and build wheels myself, anyone have any experience of doing this?

As said before it is very expensive to get into, but so satisfying. Don't be scared by the difficulty though, its really quite easy as long as you're patient.

On my first set i took 8 hours to build them and had to restart a few times, check youtube, check my reference wheel, and went super slow. The next set took 4 hours. A pro takes 20 minutes, which is the true art.

The end result of 8 hours with a tensiometer is a perfectly true wheel and a lot of knowledge, and i feel really confident truing wheels now.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm thinking about upgrading the bike trailer for my toddler. The current one is a cheap Schwinn one and it's okay, but the fabric floor of it gets soaking wet any time I go out in the rain. Thankfully the kid's seat is a separate piece of fabric that is raised up a bit so that stays dry and keeps her dry, but I don't like her feet and toys and dropped snacks sitting on the soaking wet trailer floor in front of her (not to mention the dropped snacks turning into a nasty paste :barf:). Same goes for cargo behind her, which also ends up on a wet floor. The whole thing also just feels kind of cheap and I've already had to replace the backup safety clip on it with a small carabiner, and replace one of the snaps.

Anyone else have experience with rainy bike rides with a kid in a trailer? Are the nicer/better ones better waterproofed? Like I'm imagining maybe the nicer ones have a solid plastic underfloor instead of being all fabric, but maybe not.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

taking your kid along on drop rides is really brave

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

alnilam posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading the bike trailer for my toddler. The current one is a cheap Schwinn one and it's okay, but the fabric floor of it gets soaking wet any time I go out in the rain. Thankfully the kid's seat is a separate piece of fabric that is raised up a bit so that stays dry and keeps her dry, but I don't like her feet and toys and dropped snacks sitting on the soaking wet trailer floor in front of her (not to mention the dropped snacks turning into a nasty paste :barf:). Same goes for cargo behind her, which also ends up on a wet floor. The whole thing also just feels kind of cheap and I've already had to replace the backup safety clip on it with a small carabiner, and replace one of the snaps.

Anyone else have experience with rainy bike rides with a kid in a trailer? Are the nicer/better ones better waterproofed? Like I'm imagining maybe the nicer ones have a solid plastic underfloor instead of being all fabric, but maybe not.

I have a Burley trailer (one of the cheaper ones, a bee) and it has great water proofing. If you put the plastic cover over the front, my son never gets even a little wet in the rain.

The fabric can also be hosed down when it gets dirty and it dries quickly.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Now that your mention it I think I need a kid trailer for my dog...

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

Now that your mention it I think I need a kid trailer for my dog...

Burley makes one specifically for pets but it seems crazy expensive. It's $120 more than the one for an actual human child

https://www.burley.com/product/tail-wagon/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

alnilam posted:

We had a thule for a while and it was good. Buckles were susceptible to pebble ingress and the foam on the handlebars wasn't too tenacious (fixed with bar tape), but not other complaints.
No weather ingress at all.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
We have a weehoo turbo which has an all-weather cover. I have never used the all-weather cover so I can’t speak to its effectiveness. It solves the problem of crud falling on the floor and getting wet by not having a floor. It’s a slimmer profile than most trailers, which makes me feel less likely to crash it into something. And the kids can pedal if they like. My kid swears she’s pedaling on hills but I feel no difference.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Burley makes one specifically for pets but it seems crazy expensive. It's $120 more than the one for an actual human child

https://www.burley.com/product/tail-wagon/

That the dog tax..leave that decision to my wife

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The dog trailer is only more money than the cheapest kid trailer. Kids are always more expensive in the long run -<:-|

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

DELETE CASCADE posted:

how does anyone ride toe clips without falling over every time they stop? if it's loose enough for you to pull your shoe out, it's probably not tight enough to work effectively
Hi, toe-covering-plastic-hook-thing-user checking in. Call them toe clips, why not. Better: bidons. Fancy.

Mine have no side straps, they're wide enough to cover about the middle two thirds of the front of my regular everyday walking around shoes. I like them because I can pull up on a pedal, backpedaling to move one foot into position for applying power to start or accelerate. When I come to a stop, I slide my foot easily out by backing it and twisting slightly to one side. It's second nature, and presumably equivalent to the un-clipping motion you use with your shoe-and-pedal-lock-together-with-metal system. I also like removing one failure mode from my pedaling, I cannot slide my foot off the front of the pedal.
Yes, it's loose enough to easily pull my shoe out. It's entirely effective at doing what I want it to do, which is add another direction in which I can push and something useful happens.

I've been hitting the university's MTB trail network, the green trails only for now, after work most days. There are quite a few tricky places even on the easy trails, going between closely-spaced trees and up over rocks, roots, and fence-crossing ramps. If I get through "Poplars" without dropping a foot to the ground I'm pretty pleased with myself. The clips do not get in the way at all, and are very nice to have on the steep descents.

Long ago I had the kind with side straps, and rather than tighten and loosen them - which does become a simple muscle-memory habit - I just left them loose ENOUGH to get my foot in and out, but not so loose they were floppy or whatever.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Technically with clips and straps you also use a slotted cleat to keep your foot from sliding forward. The toeclip doesn't really do poo poo except keep the strap in place and make it easier to put your foot in.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Playing SW Squadrons and biking have basically been the only things keeping me remotely sane during the past few months so I wound up painting my bike helmet lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Objurium posted:

Playing SW Squadrons and biking have basically been the only things keeping me remotely sane during the past few months so I wound up painting my bike helmet lol.

That looks sick :krad: