Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

It's really something to see how the initial Covid response was measured and effective and how easily it toppled when a bunch of moron Republicans turned it into a culture war thing.
This frustrates me to no end. The rhetoric from local republican reps (placer county) since this began has been, the democrats are handling this bad, are lying to you, its fake news, fraud, constitution etc, and now they are back pedaling all of it into "we believe in a rational response." Its gross.
A few months back the Roseville City Mayor went on a rant during a meeting about how no one is coordinating anything in regards to covid response and its rediculous someone isn't in charge. Like dude, you are in charge. Do something.

It all just looks to me like the result of having to play to base that simultaneously thinks covid is a hoax, but also its real and everything the libs are doing is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Feinstein didn't save enough for retirement so she has to keep working into her old age, very sad

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I mean she could well run but this is more a keeping options open thing than anything else at this point.

Term limits are bad, but I would be onboard with a maximum age to run for re-election.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Still Dismal posted:

Term limits are bad, but I would be onboard with a maximum age to run for re-election.

So would I, for the absolutely nothing that my opinion's worth.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

According to USPOL, filing for a campaign like that is a pretty standard move regardless of intent to actually run again or not, due to campaign finance law. I can’t really vouch for it, just repeating what a few posters said and seems to make sense. Given the various leaks around her cognitive decline and her stepping down from the judiciary committee, I would imagine that she/her camp knows the writing is on the wall.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

According to USPOL, filing for a campaign like that is a pretty standard move regardless of intent to actually run again or not, due to campaign finance law. I can’t really vouch for it, just repeating what a few posters said and seems to make sense. Given the various leaks around her cognitive decline and her stepping down from the judiciary committee, I would imagine that she/her camp knows the writing is on the wall.

Counterpoint: We can't have nice things.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Also why the gently caress does she need to "keep her options open"?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Given the various leaks around her cognitive decline and her stepping down from the judiciary committee, I would imagine that she/her camp knows the writing is on the wall.

Counterpoint: Over my lifetime, half the elected presidents have been in cognitive decline.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i am pretty sure she can give any money she raises to anyone she nominates as a successor, who will also be bad.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Yes, it’s more a formality than anything else. All it, in of itself means is that she wants to legally be able to do campaign type things like raise money.

I won’t Toxx for it or anything, because who loving knows anymore, but I would personally be surprised if she ran again. The leaks about her cognitive decline are not something that would have happened if the party planned on keeping her around.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 13, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Still Dismal posted:

I believe this would be illegal age-related discrimination

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Still Dismal posted:

Yes, it’s more a formality than anything else. All it, in of itself means is that she wants to legally be able to do campaign type things like raise money.

I won’t Toxx for it or anything, because who loving knows anymore, but I would personally be surprised if she ran again. The leaks about her cognitive decline are not something that would have happened if the party planned on keeping her around.

What in the world has led you to believe any of these freaks ever willingly give up power

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Doc Hawkins posted:

i am pretty sure she can give any money she raises to anyone she nominates as a successor, who will also be bad.

Yeah. That's what I was thinking. She can continue doing normal fundraising and build up a war chest to give over to the candidate for her seat of her choosing.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah. That's what I was thinking. She can continue doing normal fundraising and build up a war chest to give over to the candidate for her seat of her choosing.

Is that something candidates are allowed to do?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

luminalflux posted:

Is that something candidates are allowed to do?

Depends if it's a pac or not. If it's a pac, then yeah they can do whatever they want. I'm sure it's pac money.

I think the direct campaign contributions have to be donated - which can also be donations to the state/national political party. Less direct, but there's room for indirect influence there.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Goons around the North Bay to Sacramento sort of area hit me up. I'm looking for comrades to coordinate a charity project.

Edit you know I don't know why I was being cryptic. I am fortunate enough to have spare income and I want to alleviate the burdens of the people around me living in tents and RVs. I mean to set aside some money every month to buy supplies. I have already purchased some T shirts, socks, toothbrushes, and Tylenol and stuff and made care packages, but only like a dozen so far because I've not fully finalized my budget. I'm reaching out to goons for thoughts on what to buy, how to get it efficiently, how to distribute it effectively, and where to find need (though there's plenty at my door step). If I just sort of walk up to a tent camp with however many bags of supplies I mean will that be enough? Will it get to everyone evenly? Do I have to mind cops and chuds harassing us?

I've been advised to connect with local homeless assistance orgs so I'll do that. There's one near my office. But I'd take more thoughts.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 13, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My son got sent home from school on Friday due to a possible exposure. We just now got an email saying they're closing in-person instruction for 10 days due to ~20 teachers testing positive. Good grief.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My son got sent home from school on Friday due to a possible exposure. We just now got an email saying they're closing in-person instruction for 10 days due to ~20 teachers testing positive. Good grief.

Yeah if that many teachers are positive, there is almost quite possibly loads of students also positive, whether they know it or not.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah if that many teachers are positive, there is almost quite possibly loads of students also positive, whether they know it or not.
And that's exactly why in person schooling is impossible without the vaccine. Like poo poo, this ALWAYS happens when schools reopen.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

Goons around the North Bay to Sacramento sort of area hit me up. I'm looking for comrades to coordinate a charity project.

Edit you know I don't know why I was being cryptic. I am fortunate enough to have spare income and I want to alleviate the burdens of the people around me living in tents and RVs. I mean to set aside some money every month to buy supplies. I have already purchased some T shirts, socks, toothbrushes, and Tylenol and stuff and made care packages, but only like a dozen so far because I've not fully finalized my budget. I'm reaching out to goons for thoughts on what to buy, how to get it efficiently, how to distribute it effectively, and where to find need (though there's plenty at my door step). If I just sort of walk up to a tent camp with however many bags of supplies I mean will that be enough? Will it get to everyone evenly? Do I have to mind cops and chuds harassing us?

I've been advised to connect with local homeless assistance orgs so I'll do that. There's one near my office. But I'd take more thoughts.

So I am in LA, but I can give you a little advice if you want it. I have been doing distribution for about a year now for Street Watch LA. First thing I would do is get some weed. Always bring weed with you when you are first meeting unhoused people, its
the easiest way to make friends and insure you have a positive experience. Learn their names, ask them what they need, and get it for them. Most camps have a leader, find that person and get them to help you, they can ask around and help you get stuff to people. Things that never live in my car for long are: tents, blankets, tarps, and water. Thing I do that seems appreciate the most: swapping dead power banks with fully charged power banks. I would save some of that weed for yourself, you are going to see some sad rear end poo poo and people are going to ask you for help with poo poo that you aren't going to be able to help with. It is going to suck and you are going to be sad about it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

I live in the Bay. PMs open if you have ideas. Not North Bay though.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Statement from Sac PD regarding protests at the Capitol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4BepUCqYaU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

eSporks posted:

What is the point of this?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm not really sure, but its weird that the video is a series of "both sides" set to images of BLM protests. Like the "Cars with political iconography have been damaged" *picture of trump bumpersticker*
Its really weird, and I can't tell if my own bias is kicking in right now. Sac PD has been routinely kettling BLM into Proud Boys and then getting hands off. Proud boys have been driving around in trucks shooting paintballs at people. They have waited outside parking garages to jump people. One evening, something like 30 cars had their tires slashed.

I know I'm getting kinda paranoid, but tensions are crazy high around here.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Lmao, loving cops. I've watched them specifically gear up to go chase and beat the anti fascist protesters a few weeks in a row while buddying up with and protecting the nazis.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

eSporks posted:

I'm not really sure, but its weird that the video is a series of "both sides" set to images of BLM protests. Like the "Cars with political iconography have been damaged" *picture of trump bumpersticker*
Its really weird, and I can't tell if my own bias is kicking in right now. Sac PD has been routinely kettling BLM into Proud Boys and then getting hands off. Proud boys have been driving around in trucks shooting paintballs at people. They have waited outside parking garages to jump people. One evening, something like 30 cars had their tires slashed.

San PD are bad, fellow poster.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SuperKlaus posted:

Link a few, I'll send some money their way.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

eSporks posted:

Lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

eSporks posted:

You aren't. Cops are evil.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The new Coronavirus strain is nasty in California, folks. Be safe

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can’t take away my freedoms like that.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

You can’t take away my freedoms like that.

6 feet apart. The virus refuses to travel further.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Re: CA Notify

Seems to be working alright! Unfortunate that I had to use it.

I tested Wednesday 11am.
Positive result on Thursday 9pm.
Got a text from CDPH Saturday morning with a link to submit my positive diagnosis into the system.
Couple hours later the other 4 phones in my house were all sent a notification.

Glad to see it work.

After I got my test result, I called the number listed and they said they had to wait until my test site reported the positive to CDPH, which could take up to 72 hours, if at all. 3 days between a positive diagnosis and being able to enter it into the CA Notify system seems a bit much, but glad mine was much shorter.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sorry you have COVID, goon. How are you feeling?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thank you.

Physically fine other than a cough. Mentally...... loving exhausted.

We have 5 kids, including twin toddlers, who are both positive, which scares the absolute poo poo out of me. It would be one thing if we could send all the kids to their room to isolate, but having toddlers wrecks any semblance of this being easy whatsoever. My wife tested negative somehow. But whichever way you dice it, taking care of the positive toddlers puts people at risk. The amount of surfaces they drool, eat, spit all over is incredible.

If we were all positive, it would be much easier since we wouldn’t have to be masked up all day and isolate from each other. We have 2 negatives in the house shockingly, with a couple tests still pending, so this is super complicated. One parent can’t take care of both toddlers all day.

It was a brutal feeling reporting it to our daycare lady and see a group text go out to everyone reporting positives and saying they don’t know if they can open Tuesday and recommending all the other kids get tested. As a parent, having your toddler get sticks jammed up their nose to their brain is gut-wrenching. And as a parent, being first to report it seems like admitting we hosed up and now are responsible for getting everyone else’s kids sick despite us being as safe as possible.

But in reality, we don’t know if we gave it to daycare or got it from daycare and were just first to notice or test. And we’ll never know. That’s very frustrating.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 17, 2021

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Let's check in and see how things are going here in Gavin Newsom's California

https://twitter.com/BradfordPearson/status/1351033403936792578

:stonk:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Same here. From there "Why Is This A Headline" department:

https://www.ksby.com/news/coronavirus/city-of-slo-allows-mortuaries-to-extend-hours-amid-increased-demand

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Newsom is a gently caress up on every level of this. I can't think of a single person who is satisfied with his level of mandates and shutdowns currently. Everyone I know personally hates that non essential retail is just open, and know multiple businesses that are hiding cases from the public. Meanwhile despite every left leaning person I know or have even just seen talk about it on social media thinks he is an idiot for not shutting down, every right leaning person seems convinced he is an authoritarian dictator who is limiting too much.

He should have realized that A. Trying to please the chud shitlords in the OC was a mistake on a simple policy level, and that B. They would never be his friends anyways.

Instead he has isolated himself on both ends of the political spectrum, to where no one likes him.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

KittyEmpress posted:

Newsom is a gently caress up on every level of this. I can't think of a single person who is satisfied with his level of mandates and shutdowns currently. Everyone I know personally hates that non essential retail is just open, and know multiple businesses that are hiding cases from the public. Meanwhile despite every left leaning person I know or have even just seen talk about it on social media thinks he is an idiot for not shutting down, every right leaning person seems convinced he is an authoritarian dictator who is limiting too much.

He should have realized that A. Trying to please the chud shitlords in the OC was a mistake on a simple policy level, and that B. They would never be his friends anyways.

Instead he has isolated himself on both ends of the political spectrum, to where no one likes him.

not to excuse Newsom, but what governor hasn't hosed this up? as far as I've read everyone has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Most Bay Area boomer Democrats I know like him because he’s from SF and therefore Are Boy and deserves our loyalty. Everything bad happening is all Trump’s fault.