Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Althar
Jan 9, 2021

They also updated them a bit last go around. Like bushes that can be used to hide were introduced in Hitman 2, but some got added to the Hitman 1 dlc levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm very dumb, so I read it as "we don't want Hitman 2, we want the Hitman 2 DLC!" featuring New York, Haven, and such quality missions as The Poacher in the Jungle and The Magician in Mumbai.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Oh by the way this is a quote directly from the Dartmoor reveal page on their website:

quote:

With that in mind, we are pleased to confirm that PC players will be able to carryover their current progression and unlocks from HITMAN 2 on Steam into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. It will also be possible for PC players to import locations from the previous two games into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. We want to make it a seamless process for our PC players to enjoy HITMAN 3 on a different PC platform and continue to enjoy the benefits of our World of Assassination.
Buying the maps again is not "importing" them. This is a straight scam.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Nakar posted:

Oh by the way this is a quote directly from the Dartmoor reveal page on their website:

Buying the maps again is not "importing" them. This is a straight scam.

i think they thought thats how it would work until literally yesterday

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

But can't a developer get keys for the game they make? On Steam a developer can generate keys and do giveaways, right? I could be wrong about that but I feel like its true.

If so, there's nothing stopping IOI from just granting a free copy key to everybody they flagged from their IOI accounts, other than the potential lost revenue.

Epic shouldn't really care, unless they don't allow developers to give away keys. I guess I could see them not wanting to support the server bandwidth for games they aren't profiting off, but considering Epic has been throwing money away trying to get people to move off Steam accounts I seriously doubt they'd care.

Depends on the platform. Valve's policy is that as long as they have no reason to detect fraud, you can basically make as many Steam keys as you want for free. Epic's policy I have never worked with and I can't find any info, but my Google-fu can be weak.

The thing to always remember when you're dealing with the EGS is that the platform is held together by scotch tape and dreams. This is a launcher that only ever did preloads for one game and that's because the devs crunched to add it in for Epic. If things are this bad on the consumer-facing side I guarantee the client side is an even bigger mess.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I had nothing to do earlier and was less drunk than when I last posted, so I decided (again) to try and SOSA a few levels with a bit of advice from the Internet. Paris is easy, Sapienza looks look-winded but not too hard. I'm predicting Bangkok and Colorado will make me want to take a sauna in an NHS dumpster.
If you haven't already, you should check out my guides - I tried to make SASO on master as mechanically simple as I could: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7HupIaHVq8DCh5U-mhNs3WdsMexIVAr1

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Starting to feel good about my decision to just wait a year before buying Hitman 3.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Epic Game Store is ruining PC gaming.

I don't know what you're talking about. I LOVE having the greedy console exclusivity bullshit finally be "ported" wholesale onto the PC platform.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
The entire way the games have been sold and marketed was loving ridiculous right from the beginning.
All this shared progress and online crap is so unnecessary.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. I LOVE having the greedy console exclusivity bullshit finally be "ported" wholesale onto the PC platform.

Ya idk if it’s ever happened for other games before this, but not being able to load my one computer game into another computer game because the launchers are different is insanely dumb. Exclusivity is one thing, I’d rather everything would just come on Steam but if Epic wants to throw Forkknife money at devs I can put up with it, but this feels an entire level of sleazy.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The entire way the games have been sold and marketed was loving ridiculous right from the beginning.
All this shared progress and online crap is so unnecessary.
Yeah not to go to bat for Epic but IOI is making GBS threads the bed and has a history of doing so. Even in less egregious circumstances they make it as confusing and difficult as possible for people to just buy and play their loving game. It's unfortunate that their game devs work so hard and turn out such good product and then the people who make decisions on marketing etc. screw everything up and make it a giant hassle for the player to appreciate it.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I love IOI but the Epic SDK supports cross-platform DLC. It's on WB or IOI is just straight up running a racket here.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

so if I have hitman 1 and 2 on steam, and I don't want to play hitman 1/2 levels in hitman 3, what are the downsides to me getting hitman 3 through the EGS?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

piratepilates posted:

so if I have hitman 1 and 2 on steam, and I don't want to play hitman 1/2 levels in hitman 3, what are the downsides to me getting hitman 3 through the EGS?

I'm not sure there are any. Harder to refund, I guess?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Assuming you don't care about the Epic launcher and don't plan on double-dipping if/when it ends up on Steam, nothing.

Althar
Jan 9, 2021

piratepilates posted:

Not much, I’m not a big fan of managing games across multiple services, but that appeal to convenience has its own negatives. If we wanna get all morally and poo poo some people don’t like supporting the practice of encouraging exclusivity on PC platforms. I honestly think they lost my purchase more out of spite for lying than that I care so much about playing the Hitman 2 levels in 3.

Although, it WILL take Hitman 1 levels. So one small negative is that if disk space matters to you, you’ll then have two games with the Hitman 1 locations, all in 1 would seem to be smaller. (A more technically inclined goon may point out some error in this train of thought)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
At this point i’ve played 1 and 2 levels more than i care to remember so it’ll be a long time before i go back to them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lol

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I've been trying to get all the challenges and escalations done that unlock items so while I was doing the Shinobi set and the Art of Revenge set, I had a very silly idea for a contract.

Two contracts actually, that are mostly the same except one requires some unlocks and the other does not.

Knight of the Weeb Table - Isle of Sgail

Kill 5 elite guards in the penthouse as the Knight, using various forms of Japanese weaponry.

No Unlocks version: 1-21-4694915-76
Version that requires Hokkaido Mastery 7 & the Shinobi challenges from Hawke's Bay: 1-21-7936149-76

this game needs to come out already

edit: i don't remember if contracts are cross platform or not, but these were made on pc

csm141 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 16, 2021

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Have they mentioned anything about elusive targets? If the only timed exclusives are three monochrome suits I'll never use I will probably wait a little bit until they've sorted out this...everything.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Bad Gandalf posted:

I got an partial refund for £5 on the deluxe edition pre-order a couple of days ago so I wouldn't be surprised if that was to cover the cost of the Hitman 2 pass
I haven't seen any refund. Hopefully it's just a few bucks but the full version of Hitman 2 on Steam is still $100.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
FWIW:

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1350558472987955201

I have no idea how sweeney doesn't have a blue checkmark

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Oooh, I think I get it now! Hitman 2 as DLC for Hitman 3, not Hitman 2 as a game all on its own, with or without its own DLC. Very confusing.

Yeah, you got it. Sorry for the confusion. I mean we don't need "Hitman 2 the game" on EGS. We just need "Hitman 2 game content for Hitman 3" on EGS, which WILL be on EGS in 4 days.

We just don't get permission for it without buying it, which shouldn't be the case.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm very dumb, so I read it as "we don't want Hitman 2, we want the Hitman 2 DLC!" featuring New York, Haven, and such quality missions as The Poacher in the Jungle and The Magician in Mumbai.

Haha nah. I mean I love those maps but I want the H2 maps very much as well. Miami is my poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

At this point i’ve played 1 and 2 levels more than i care to remember so it’ll be a long time before i go back to them.

In theory we could get some new gadgets in 3 that would make things different and fun to replay old levels with them.

I also haven't 100% everything in the old levels and like dipping my toes back in for variety. I just really like the feeling of having a single one-stop-shop for Hitman with a tooon of available content to hop into.

Also bodes well for contracts and the like. (And some far-off dream of getting VR on PC and playing the old levels in VR. Or on PS4 with VR then that's a reason why H1 and H2 being imported matters a LOT)

But at the end of the day it isn't game-ruining, and having the ability to import games is even a nice feature they didn't have to promise at all. Other game companies just leave content stranded or charge money for a map pack to bring old maps into a new game.
Thing is, they went and told us that would be a thing. Pulling the rug out 5 days before release... is a very bad feeling. They needed to communicate this sooner. And if they really, really just found out now for some reason, then they straight up need to go out and say "we're sorry, this loving sucks, we hosed up". If they did that I'd honestly feel better about it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Chief Savage Man posted:

edit: i don't remember if contracts are cross platform or not, but these were made on pc
They aren't. Anyway here's a run of the non-unlocks version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG6OuWbfXNY

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Thanks for this. It feels strange to put a bit of hope in Sweeney"s hands but here we are.

Though if H2 on steam is sub-5 bucks it would only be annoying and not a deal breaker.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i've never played a Hitman game, but the prospect of playing all of it in 3 is great

can someone explain how that works? Should I just buy Hitman 3 and wait for a level pack? Looks like I have hitman 1 on Epic Games Store already, so that might save me some money

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

joe football posted:

FWIW:

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1350558472987955201

I have no idea how sweeney doesn't have a blue checkmark

what a loving mess. its definitely some weird technical thing to do with how hacked together EGS is

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

eonwe posted:

i've never played a Hitman game, but the prospect of playing all of it in 3 is great

can someone explain how that works? Should I just buy Hitman 3 and wait for a level pack? Looks like I have hitman 1 on Epic Games Store already, so that might save me some money

It's straightforward if you're coming in fresh, just buy Hitman 3 and the "Hitman 2 Access Pass" DLC for it (we don't know how much that costs but it will be 80% off for the first two weeks)

Since you claimed Hitman 1 on EGS already you'll be granted the "Hitman 1 Access Pass" DLC for free

With both DLCs you'll be able to play nearly all of the content from the entire trilogy inside Hitman 3

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

It's straightforward if you're coming in fresh, just buy Hitman 3 and the "Hitman 2 Access Pass" DLC for it (we don't know how much that costs but it will be 80% off for the first two weeks)

Since you claimed Hitman 1 on EGS already you'll be granted the "Hitman 1 Access Pass" DLC for free

With both DLCs you'll be able to play nearly all of the content from the entire trilogy inside Hitman 3

man thats amazing, that seems like such a good deal

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GMG is giving 10% off Hitman 3, which I guess you can use to rebuy H2 so there's that.

Here are 5 codes for it:
#X84485-DAFAKN-LCDVPQ
#X84485-11UQNS-CHVQFY
#X84485-AOSA36-4WCWK2
#X84485-19JI24-ECJ84Z
#X84485-04Q1VL-OETU38

When those are gone, AGENT8 is 8% off and it's reusable.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 17, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

eonwe posted:

man thats amazing, that seems like such a good deal

It is for sure. I spent $60 on H1 and H2 and even bought DLC on top and felt like I got my money's worth.

These games are very deep and intensely replayable. I think lots of people just don't realize what the fun of the series even is.

Saw a reddit post that was like "bought this on sale expecting an okay james bond call of duty, instead I found an amazing chess game and now I love it"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I got a similar question. Been wanting to get into Hitman for a while now, Wanna get 3 on ps4 (to play on 5 with vr) what would i need to get fo the full 1 and 2 experience?

I am a bit concerned that the review embargo is still up 3 days before launch?

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 17, 2021

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

I got a similar question. Been wanting to get into Hitman for a while now, Wanna get 3 on ps4 (to play on 5 with vr) what would i need to get fo the full 1 and 2 experience?

If you’re just starting with 3, then just wait for 3 to come out, install and launch it, and use the in-game store to buy the access packs for 1 and 2. That will almost certainly be cheaper than getting 1 and 2 beforehand unless they suddenly go on sale in the next five days.

vvv Well never mind then!

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 17, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MorningMoon posted:

Buy Hitman 1 base, and Hitman 2 Gold and you can get the full Access Passes for both of them in 3. Both of these are on sale until 3 releases for less than $20 each if you have PlayStation Plus.

Pirate Jet posted:

If you’re just starting with 3, then just wait for 3 to come out, install and launch it, and use the in-game store to buy the access packs for 1 and 2. That will almost certainly be cheaper than getting 1 and 2 beforehand unless they suddenly go on sale in the next five days.

They're actually both currently on sale!

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

PSN has 1 complete on sale for $12 and 2 for $15 or 2 complete for $20. I doubt the add ons are cheaper than that. I think the sale ends the day H3 comes out

Amazon also has physical 3 on sale now for $50

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Arist posted:

Buy Hitman 1 base, and Hitman 2 Gold and you can get the full Access Passes for both of them in 3. Both of these are on sale until 3 releases for less than $20 each if you have PlayStation Plus.

They're actually both currently on sale!

Nice, thanks!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MorningMoon posted:

It’s not an entirely new game, it just builds on Hitman and Hitman 2. You could worry about performance issues at launch (even though it’s clearly not a super high-end game), but it’s unlikely that the gameplay is going to stray from the previous games and take an absolute nosedive. On the other hand, the pre-order bonus is just some boring cosmetics so you are not missing out by waiting until the reviews start coming in.

It’s not like we’re going from Blood Money in 2006 to Absolution in 2012 :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Will it matter if I've never played a Hitman game, or will a large part of the story be lost on me?