Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Fanfic is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Ghostlight posted:

I'm not a hypocrite for defending contemporary art just because I don't want a dead shark in my lounge.

I didn't say you were. I was just making a joke.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Farm Frenzy posted:

if literally all fiction is fanfiction then that tweet should just harmlessly roll off your back and not mean anything

This logic implies Beandad was right. Someone getting dogpiled doesn't magically make them in the right.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Max Wilco posted:

I didn't say you were. I was just making a joke.
Unacceptable.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I am once again begging all of you not to turn this into a PYF Bad Takes thread from people that aren't even online video producers. :negative:

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

mycot posted:

This logic implies Beandad was right. Someone getting dogpiled doesn't magically make them in the right.

i dont really care about her broader thrust of whether its good that people write fanfic or not, because the problems with IP and genre fiction run much deeper than that, but everyone obviously knows what shes talking about when she says fanfiction and its not loving milton. come on. its completely cool to like bad genre art and think its valuable and you dont need to pretend like its anything other than what it is

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 17, 2021

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Farm Frenzy posted:

but everyone obviously knows what shes talking about when she says fanfiction and its not loving milton.

Just because paradise lost is 400 years old and all the horny fanart is sculpture and canvas doesnt make it not fan fiction, you loving dipshit

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

fanfiction is, fine and cool! and its fun to casually read it... :) no need to be rude or elitist i feel like!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I feel like the original point about fanspace not helping writers get better well kind of got lost in the overdramatic way she wrote her tweet, which caused a catastrophic online drama meltdown. Now apparently people are harassing and trying to get her dropped from the magazine she works at, because she made a tweet about fanfics.

This is why I burned my twitter twice. And hopefully will never sign up again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Booky posted:

fanfiction is, fine and cool! and its fun to casually read it... :) no need to be rude or elitist i feel like!

This is my general take on the take, because I love taking takes. It's really weird to be so aggro about fanfiction. Who gives a poo poo if people, especially amateur or hobbyist, writers are doing it? Let them have fun. People who want to do more "serious" writing will, and those who don't, won't. Writing fanfiction doesn't make you a bad author and bad habits are easy to pick up whether you're in or out of fandom circles. it's just so unnecessary to try and gatekeep writing of all things in this specifically super elitist way.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

JordanKai posted:

I am once again begging all of you not to turn this into a PYF Bad Takes thread from people that aren't even online video producers. :negative:

PLEASE, ffs. I mean, who the gently caress even is this person and why should I care literally at all about their take on fanfiction?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Kim Justice posted:

PLEASE, ffs. I mean, who the gently caress even is this person and why should I care literally at all about their take on fanfiction?

The poster who brought this topic up hasn't posted since bringing this person's takes on fanfic up in their post.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People are getting antsy and questioning the reason posts are being made in the first place again so I'm gonna throw out another link for the Idiots in Social Media thread just in case we need it again. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918745

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do think it’s interesting that what people hate and like is more influenced by time and what the culture tells you should be considered good.

Like most mythology is just as weird and stupid as some teens Vampire Diary fan fic but your supposed to take one seriously.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think you're under estimating for how many people fan fiction is their only exposure to amateur fiction. For the very obvious reason that it's hard to make money off fanfic legally most people change to write other stuff as they get better at writing, so it is a genre primarily written by people without a lot of experience writing or who write exclusively as a hobby. Nothing wrong with that, but most fiction your average person is going to consume is professionally produced and not functioning as a learning or recreation exercise for anyone. So fan fiction being the most accessible amateur works around that aren't directly made by your friends they are perceived as a marker of low quality. Even though it's no different from any other genre produced by comparably experienced authors.

This is all also why the runner up to "all fanfiction is bad" is usually "all creepy pasta is bad" or "all rpg maker games are bad".

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Bloodborne is Lovecraft fanfiction and Bloodborne kicks rear end

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Bloodborne is Lovecraft fanfiction and Bloodborne kicks rear end
Professionally published Lovecraft derivatives are actually more evidence for fanfiction being inherently bad than anything else cited in this thread. Even as someone who likes it the overwhelming majority of Mythos based poo poo is garbage.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
that's the opposite of what I said!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bloodborne is a good entry into a bad genre. This is independent of it being fanfiction.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Fanfiction sites like AO3 are basically "What if Baen Books actually did publish every manuscript they received."

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

8one6 posted:

Fanfiction sites like AO3 are basically "What if Baen Books actually did publish every manuscript they received."

And also didn't charge anyone for reading any works they publish. Or took any money except donations to keep themselves running.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Like remember when Horus tricked someone into eating his cum

That happened

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah mythology is great.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Why don't we just let kids write what they like instead of scolding them for wanting to write and participate in discussion about the queer relationships they feel are missing from popular media?

The problem with they should 'read queer literature instead' is that, besides ignoring people can read more than one kind of thing, you're essentially just shouting at young queer people for participating in contemporary pop culture instead of hiding away in a niche like you had to.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Spark That Bled posted:

And also didn't charge anyone for reading any works they publish. Or took any money except donations to keep themselves running.

So basically a publisher that didn't suck?

Anyway, I'd just like to say that Thought Slime's newest video not only sold me on wanting to watch the show he talks about, but also the little bit at the end promotes a channel that I wound up watching nearly every video of and I like her stuff a bunch. She, Kenzie Lutece, mostly does quick breakdowns of legal stuff but her earlier videos also have some neat videos about the trans reading of The Matrix and a fun little thing about Fight Club for anyone who's also into that sort of thing.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I mean, angry about fanfic tweet lady had to dip real quickly into "Oh my god if you disagree with me that means you love Amazon and hate workers because any time spent telling me I'm wrong is time you should have been spending on destroying Amazon," which I think should say everything that need be said about her intellectual rigour.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Is this person even an online creator

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
She hosts a podcast about writing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

macabresca posted:

I once came across a bum review dubbed in Russian, that was kinda neat.
I don't know how popular they were in a grand scheme of things but on Polish YT there used to be a lot of channels dedicated to translating foreign internet people (before community subtitles were an option, ofc). That's how I started watching TGWTG, Kids React and other stuff like that (I was 12-13 at the time and didn't know English well enough to understand Doug's screeching).
They're probably mostly dead nowadays and only serve as a vault of long-deleted videos.

I wish more people would do this the opposite direction, too.

I've found two Russian channels (one about video games, one about movies), and the guys are quite funny. Trouble is, not every video has English subtitles. Hell, I think one of them only has like 1/3rd of his vids subtitled.

Then I somehow got a couple Japanese channels that were recommended by this thread, but only maybe 1/10th of their poo poo has subtitles in a language I can actually understand.

Kind of frustrating, makes you wish we could just finally end this 200+ language bullshit and just put them all into a blender to make one, global language everyone can understand.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
this thread is arguing that fanfiction is also adaptations, homages, inspiration and derivatives and keep using these things as historical examples for why fanfic is good.

fanfic is good. but the lionization and fanatical rush to defend it with increasing fervor each is i think a little sad and i think its okay for a genre (medium?) to be "low" art.

i like "low" art. its good for it to be amateur and clumsy and i wish more genres embraced this as part of the charm and form. its weird to drag shakespeare and dante out every time we have to defend the genre instead of just saying "its a hot pocket for my brain".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean I also think it’s a good idea not to lionize the classics with zero thought to what they are.

Way to many people mindlessly repeat Shakespeare is good when their only real exposure to it was reading maybe one play in high school.

Form your own drat opinions

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
dont get me wrong lol, my post isnt an argument in favor of saying "'high' art is better than low art". but shakespeare's thumbprint on literary canon is pretty hard to ignore lol. people dont have to personally like his work (and its not hard to imagine why someone wouldn't) but it's hard to deny that his stuff hasn't had massive lasting influence because it continues to appeal to people on some level throughout centuries.

side note: every high school that teaches shakespeare by making kids read it sucks. thats the most miserable way to try to detangle it. without physical body cues, vocal inflections, facial expressions, etc i think it's pretty obtuse to try to wrangle!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Just because paradise lost is 400 years old and all the horny fanart is sculpture and canvas doesnt make it not fan fiction, you loving dipshit

Yes it does.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Spark That Bled posted:

The poster who brought this topic up hasn't posted since bringing this person's takes on fanfic up in their post.

Heh all according to keikakku

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean if your just going to ignore words definitions just because they make you uncomfortable why bother with them in the first place.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

If you want to use "fanfic" as a term in a meaningful way, your choice is between reifying intellectual property, or accepting that it describes a particular modern subculture. Neither category includes Shakespeare (who literally wrote for the King) or Paradise Lost (Bible well out of copyright by the 17th Century).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if your just going to ignore words definitions just because they make you uncomfortable why bother with them in the first place.

You're the ones making it so we shouldn't bother using the term.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I think its less that we should accept that some things are 'low' art versus 'high' more that high/low is a bullshit distinction and we should enjoy all kinds of art created for all sorts of reasons on our own terms instead of appealling to a frankly lovely and boring critical consensus to tell if we're reading 'the good stuff'

Thats a completely separate matter from the simple reality that yeah you're going to have a tough time finding 'good' writing on a website community of ameteur writers and yes there is a risk that they'll only ever get better at writing works that appeal to fanfiction readers but frankly Ready Player One managed that all on its own so who cares

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is pretty funny that Fifty Shades became such a massive success and it was Twilight fanfiction by a 40 something. And the original title was the same as He-Man's show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

fun hater posted:

this thread is arguing that fanfiction is also adaptations, homages, inspiration and derivatives and keep using these things as historical examples for why fanfic is good.

fanfic is good. but the lionization and fanatical rush to defend it with increasing fervor each is i think a little sad and i think its okay for a genre (medium?) to be "low" art.

i like "low" art. its good for it to be amateur and clumsy and i wish more genres embraced this as part of the charm and form. its weird to drag shakespeare and dante out every time we have to defend the genre instead of just saying "its a hot pocket for my brain".

I think it’s less that “fan fiction is high art” and more “all art is low art until someone decides it isn’t and all artists were once amateur artists”