Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I had nightmares about him in the days following that section of the game.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jeff is loving visceral and disgusting and terrifying and I think that’s the most freaked out I’ve ever been in a game, VR or not

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Jeff is easily the best part of the game, and I think it demonstrates something given that it's the least shooty heavy and leans into the strengths of VR the most

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I took like 5 minutes in that section to just look at him and see how he like, physically was put together.

It’s gross as hell but you can’t help but look

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Jeff is loving visceral and disgusting and terrifying and I think that’s the most freaked out I’ve ever been in a game, VR or not

Not empty quoting.

gently caress that fridge section also oh god finally putting jeff in a crusher was so satisfying

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Marxalot posted:

Not empty quoting.

gently caress that fridge section also oh god finally putting jeff in a crusher was so satisfying

i got Jeff in the crusher but I didn’t kill him because I wanted to leave him for that fuckhead you meet in the beginning of the Jeff episode who’s like “watch out for Jeff lol” and then abandons you. gently caress that guy.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Marxalot posted:

Not empty quoting.

I loved the delivery on “oh my god Jeff, are you okay?” Alyx is fuckin’ savage.

I really like that when Alyx decides to dip its toes into being a scary game it does it very well. I know I said upthread that Jeff turned into mostly an annoyance but I don’t want to downplay what a very effective annoyance he is. Even after I figured out how he worked having to switch which hand was over my mouth while juggling the multitool and moving (before I found a respirator) was amazingly tense for that split second where I might have started coughing and gotten got.

Also that dick headcrab knocking down bottles is history’s greatest monster.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bussamove posted:

Also that dick headcrab knocking down bottles is history’s greatest monster.

I felt so loving smug catching that drat bottle.

Veotax posted:

The part where they have you lock Jeff in the fridge and then have to let him out a few minutes later to turn the power on is loving brilliant.

It's so good because the game lets you just work it out on your own. "Okay; so that cable goes to that. This one goes to this node, and this last one... *BANG* *SLAM* *ROAR* Goes into the freezer..." :cripes:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

This is going to maybe sound like a stupid question, because the obvious answer is Amazon. However, I can't seem to find appropriate items and maybe I am just dumb.

I have a Rift CV-1 and am looking for a replacement facepad, the stock one isn't very comfortable for long usage. Everything I found says Rift S, which I assume won't fit on the CV-1.

Does anyone know a good place to get aftermarket pieces like this for the CV-1? Also does anyone have any good recommendations as to which one to get?

Also is there a "pro" headstrap for the CV-1 like you can get for the Quest?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ModeSix posted:

This is going to maybe sound like a stupid question, because the obvious answer is Amazon. However, I can't seem to find appropriate items and maybe I am just dumb.

I have a Rift CV-1 and am looking for a replacement facepad, the stock one isn't very comfortable for long usage. Everything I found says Rift S, which I assume won't fit on the CV-1.

Does anyone know a good place to get aftermarket pieces like this for the CV-1? Also does anyone have any good recommendations as to which one to get?

Also is there a "pro" headstrap for the CV-1 like you can get for the Quest?

VRCover is the brand you want. If their Amazon store doesn't still have them in stock, their direct store at vrcover.com does.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

VRCover is the brand you want. If their Amazon store doesn't still have them in stock, their direct store at vrcover.com does.

Great, thanks. I had actually looked at these guys before. Thanks for the confirmation.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Holy poo poo I need to play Alyx then.

My creepiest video game memory ever was RE7 and I would love to scratch that itch even for a moment. Hell that game is in my top 5 of being afraid in general.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Anyone play that Jurassic Park game? It looks like it may be decent enough.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Been playing a pretty a lot of skyrim vr today... The VRIk mod which gives you a body is just fantastic
Install HIGGS
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/43930/
It adds proper object interactions with your hands on top of all the VRIK stuff, including Alyx-style force pull.

e: re Jeff talk, I let him out at the end :twisted:

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 17, 2021

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rolo posted:

Holy poo poo I need to play Alyx then.

My creepiest video game memory ever was RE7 and I would love to scratch that itch even for a moment. Hell that game is in my top 5 of being afraid in general.

It's a very similar feel to being stalked by Jack in RE7, yeah. You're given a different tool to throw him off your trail-- sound instead of stunning him with bullets-- but it's another case of having to dance around an invincible horror that will kill you dead if they find you and it's very well done, in no small part to how well it uses light and what a good idea it was to put your flashlight on the hand you'll most often be manipulating the environment with so you won't always be able to illuminate what's in front of you.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I really wish I didn’t know anything about that particular encounter. Can’t help but feel it would have been cool to encounter on my own when I can finally play it. A podcast I listen to spoiled it for me like a week or so after the game came out. Sucks.

Still hyped to play a new half life game once I can finally build a new rig. Nothing better to break in a pc.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Stan Taylor posted:

I really wish I didn’t know anything about that particular encounter. Can’t help but feel it would have been cool to encounter on my own when I can finally play it. A podcast I listen to spoiled it for me like a week or so after the game came out. Sucks.

Still hyped to play a new half life game once I can finally build a new rig. Nothing better to break in a pc.

It'll still be pretty impactful, don't worry.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Does anyone have two Quests in their house for VR two player shenanigans? How well does it work out? Find enough local multiplayer games to be worthwhile?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

Does anyone have two Quests in their house for VR two player shenanigans? How well does it work out? Find enough local multiplayer games to be worthwhile?

Eleven is great when played locally. No lag and you can easily align the tracking space so you're facing each other. Looks hilarious as a spectator.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Interesting GDC video about developing the combat in Until You Fall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOSwA9D7tb0

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stan Taylor posted:

This very thread spoiled the end of the game like a day after the game came out so I feel you haha

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Why not use spoiler tags like everywhere else? Lot of people probably just got headsets, myself included.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I was very scared and Even knowing what I needed to do to push the button to end the Jeff level, I kept loving it up. It took me like 5 tries to just press the button without him killing me. And each one was a jumpscare -> instant death. That felt bad.
Yeah Jeff was a really fun concept that was hamstrung by my inability to throw things very accurately in VR (i.e. over Jeff but below the doorframe). I must have spent 5 minutes trying to figure out this part because I tried it and died so assumed I was on the wrong track.

The game design is really good because it really limits your options for solving puzzles. Any puzzle you're presented with, the solution is always somewhere in the immediate area. There's no wandering around backtracking for 10 minutes checking all the corners of all the rooms you've already visited looking for that one miscolored brick you need to push to open the secret door somewhere else you can't see or hear, and also that door is on a timer so it will close if you don't get right back to it. I can forgive the Jeff section for feeling a little slow at times, and there's nice variety in how you manipulate him to make it more than just doing the same thing spread through the level.

But the level has the best description of vodka! It's poison… …but I love it. Everyone… everyone loves it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I know that Beat Saber isn’t cross-play on Oculus, but does anyone know if the DLC are?

explosivo posted:

God drat Ragnarock is so good.

Seconded

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i never got to jeff i just found the rest of the game so boring for the first 8 hours or so

i do plan to go back someday and do that boss

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Communist Thoughts posted:

i never got to jeff i just found the rest of the game so boring for the first 8 hours or so

drat do I have a different reaction. HL:A more than any other game I've played is like being immersed in some crazy book or movie. Skyrim (modded of course) does a really good job as well. Fallout 4 is what I've been playing most recently and it is fun and can be really good in VR, but it's mods aren't nearly as good (no vrik or higgs equivalents) and it has a lot more Bethesda jank and CTDs along with much poorer performance.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I totally forgot about the fact that I installed a locational damage mod alongside the throwable weapons mod in SkyrimVR, and I busted out laughing for a good minute when I used a Vampiric Drain on a bandit and their loving head just popped right off.

Guess I'll be doing a lot more Destruction spells from now on :getin:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Professor Wayne posted:

Anyone play that Jurassic Park game? It looks like it may be decent enough.

I’ve heard it’s your typical length of Vr game these days at ~3 hours of playtime, except that it ends on a cliffhanger of “to be continued in the next DLC coming in a few months!”

So you’re paying $25 for an incomplete game and will have to pay probably $25 more soon. But if you know that going in I’ve heard it’s solid

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Communist Thoughts posted:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

drat do I have a different reaction. HL:A more than any other game I've played is like being immersed in some crazy book or movie. Skyrim (modded of course) does a really good job as well. Fallout 4 is what I've been playing most recently and it is fun and can be really good in VR, but it's mods aren't nearly as good (no vrik or higgs equivalents) and it has a lot more Bethesda jank and CTDs along with much poorer performance.

Not only did I have a different reaction and love walking around inside Half-life in a more convincing reality than most VR games, but by 8 hours in I was well past Jeff.

I'm a little surprised you found the game boring but also apparently went really slow? If you were bored I'd figure you'd be rushing through to get to new things. That or you quit when you were literally seconds away from meeting Jeff because its like, halfway through a 12 hour game.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Suburban Dad posted:

Why not use spoiler tags like everywhere else? Lot of people probably just got headsets, myself included.

yes please, I've been scrolling past posts trying not to get spoiled accidentally.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Hey guys, my two sisters got vr and want to play something with me. Are there any good, relatively chill oculus titles for 3 people?

I'm trying to get my one sister to play PokerStars, echo arena is on the docket as well but that might be a bit too much motion for a new player.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

PantsBandit posted:

Hey guys, my two sisters got vr and want to play something with me. Are there any good, relatively chill oculus titles for 3 people?

I'm trying to get my one sister to play PokerStars, echo arena is on the docket as well but that might be a bit too much motion for a new player.

Rec Room is full of kid-accessible content and minigames.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Rec Room is perfect for making you age into dust when you're playing one of the fake theater set games and one of the other players mentions he's ignoring his zoom math class because "what am I going to use algebra for".

That was the day I decided to uninstall Rec Room.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

8one6 posted:

Rec Room is perfect for making you age into dust when you're playing one of the fake theater set games and one of the other players mentions he's ignoring his zoom math class because "what am I going to use algebra for".

That was the day I decided to uninstall Rec Room.

Surprised his class doesn't require video to be active for this exact reason.

I had one guy in Poker last night that was recording and reporting any kid that joined even if they weren't being lovely. Some people really don't like kids in their video games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTWStKLsjGM

I need to swap the bad guys for cops and robbers models (which I have) and do a little polishing but the sniper rifle level is coming together, AI now working properly.
The enemy targeting red lines were for debug but they are really useful for dodging so I may keep them, Pistol Whip does that. They do also get in the way though.
I've got the sniper rifle reloading clips working with proper sounds, should have shown it off in this demo but forgot. The pistol feels a little floaty so I'll probably turn down the smoothing on it compared to the sniper rifle.

Need to add a few waves of spawns and this should be playable.

Thinking I may work on a Halo tribute map next, some space canyon? Or maybe I'll do a pirate sniper level where you're up in the crow's nest of a ship?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

PantsBandit posted:

Surprised his class doesn't require video to be active for this exact reason.

I had one guy in Poker last night that was recording and reporting any kid that joined even if they weren't being lovely. Some people really don't like kids in their video games.

Recording them seems a bit weird but I'll typically report and/or mute a kid if they sound obviously underage. Do we really need children in the VR smoking/drinking/gambling simulator?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

dupersaurus posted:

I know that Beat Saber isn’t cross-play on Oculus, but does anyone know if the DLC are?

The DLC are, yes.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Went back and spoilered my posts, I tried to be intentionally vague in the first place but just in case. Don't want to be responsible for people having the best gaming moment of the year ruined.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
So just came off a game of bridge commander with some mates and I have questions.

1 - the mic volume of the quest 2 while running virtual desktop while playing bridge commander through steam vr (phew) was pretty quiet, in the end had to put on my other mic. The weird thing is the quest microphone is fine in discord.

2 - I tried link cable and the mic just didn't work at all, went into whiskey sounds settings and it definitely was selected so not sure what happened there.

Any tips/ideas to sort my mic woes? Wish I'd just got bridge commander in oculus now ..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Thom and the Heads posted:

Recording them seems a bit weird but I'll typically report and/or mute a kid if they sound obviously underage. Do we really need children in the VR smoking/drinking/gambling simulator?

The kids being able to use cigs and alcohol in-game is definitely a bit weird but I don't see anything inherently wrong with them just playing poker, even with the "gambling" aspect.