Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
We haven't talked much about this TE class but for Pitts. Who has the best hands? Who is the best blocker? Are any of them big and dumb enough to replicate that Gronk style of football?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Obviously check the NCAA Basketball thread

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Raku posted:

if he's gay i'm going to suck his dick

I apologize. I misjudged you. You’re truly an ally sir.

And Pitts is this years “don’t overthink it” at TE much like D Smith is the WR version

They get open. Just get open. Tons of excuses why they can’t do it later in the league but drat. I’m
In love with pitts

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Pitts seems great. The only downside I can see is that he reminds me a little of Eric Ebron. This isn't actually a bad thing cause he reminds me of a more refined Ebron who can catch. Still, its psychologically disressing to draft someone vaguely similar to Eric Ebron.

But Pitts is going to go way before Baltimore picks so I'm curious about what the rest of the class is like.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Who are the best 2nd-3rd round guards and cbs?

Preferably 400+ lb for the guards and enormous verticals for the cbs!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Don't get the Mac Jones hate. Yeah he had three amazing WRs and a solid RB but he still had to deliver the ball. Strengths are obviously his accuracy at all levels and decision making. Pretty much never turned the ball over and hit the open routes. His arm isn't world beating but there's good zip on it on intermediate and short routes. I also think that his lack of arm strength on deep balls is all mechanics. He sets his feet too wide and too flat. Happens when QBs push off their back foot instead of drive off their back foot while putting everything into their arm. More accurate, less powerful. I also thought this was a unique system that he ran. He had the luxury of running nothing but shotgun sets that also had really good run and pass protection. Had dedicated 7 man lines between Billingsley and Forristall too. Only gave up 17 sacks all year. Really gave him insane time to just sit in the pocket and look as good as he did, but can you really fault him for that?

Definitely could see him going in the first and being a solid prospect.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Doltos posted:

Don't get the Mac Jones hate. Yeah he had three amazing WRs and a solid RB but he still had to deliver the ball. Strengths are obviously his accuracy at all levels and decision making. Pretty much never turned the ball over and hit the open routes. His arm isn't world beating but there's good zip on it on intermediate and short routes. I also think that his lack of arm strength on deep balls is all mechanics. He sets his feet too wide and too flat. Happens when QBs push off their back foot instead of drive off their back foot while putting everything into their arm. More accurate, less powerful. I also thought this was a unique system that he ran. He had the luxury of running nothing but shotgun sets that also had really good run and pass protection. Had dedicated 7 man lines between Billingsley and Forristall too. Only gave up 17 sacks all year. Really gave him insane time to just sit in the pocket and look as good as he did, but can you really fault him for that?

Definitely could see him going in the first and being a solid prospect.

Sounds like Haskins.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Mac Jones a better prospect than Tua?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is Mac Jones a better prospect than Tua?

no

he could end up a better player in the long term but tua’ was faster, had a better arm, and was more accurate in terms of ball placement coming out of college

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

doesn't he just scream "panthers reach" after they fail to get Trevor?

quote:

Alabama QB Mac Jones declared for the 2021 NFL draft.

Jones took over as Alabama's starting QB after Tua Tagovailoa went down with a hip injury midway through the 2019 season and led the team to a Citrus Bowl win over Michigan. He capped off his Alabama career with a national title as the Crimson Tide blasted Ohio State in Monday night's championship game. Jones, who shredded the Buckeyes to the tune of 464 yards and five touchdowns, had a statistically stellar 2020 season, completing 77.4 percent of his passes at a 11.2 yards-per-attempt average with 41 touchdowns and just four interceptions. Jones is largely seen as a product of an Alabama offense stacked with explosive play makers who took many of his short -- albeit accurate -- throws to the house. We could see a QB-hungry NFL team reach for Jones in the second half of the first round of the 2021 draft, or -- more likely -- Jones could be picked by a team on day two of the draft.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

FizFashizzle posted:

New GM, new Rhules.

I think a lot of it depends on who their OC is going into next year. If we keep Brady I think Trey Lance would be a better fit.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

BlindSite posted:

Sounds like Haskins.

Haskins had much better velocity and significantly worse feet; he sailed a lot more balls than Mac off his back foot but had a gear Mac doesn't. Mac's starting to remind me of a bit of a Bridgewater at this point--accuracy that's probably pretty good, amazing touch, average arm, seems to read/run offenses well enough but rarely is in a position to get a 3rd read because of his team relative to the competition. I think he could be good, but I just don't think he's special at anything other than touch, which doesn't always translate super well since I've basically never seen him do it under pressure . My Leinart comparison probably is a little too mean to his physical abilities. I think a lot about the fact that the Auburn game was the blueprint for beating him (pressure him with the zone blitz/single high coverage where being a touch passer potentially turns into picks from reading the eyes), but no one ever successfully pulled it off after Auburn. That's the classic "good supporting cast leads to mediocre pro career" tendency I can think of, but I don't think he's going like Aaron Murray or Sanchez on us. Comparing him to Tua in that offense is weird because they were asked to do similar things, but Tua was clearly a bigger arm/better mover while I think Mac was significantly better at pocket footwork and not trying to overthink plays/force balls but can't really move and isn't a pure vertical stretch without the accompanying receiver.

I also think I have my Trask comparison figured out. Because that's actually who he looks like at this point--fantastic touch on wheels and spacing routes, no velocity or freelancing, pure shotgun game manager.

Trask 301/437 4283 Yards, 43 TD, 8 Int

Player X 369/518 4205 Yards, 42 TD, 6 Int

Player X? Geno Smith. Both teams built around elite finesse players in space on man beaters like screens, digs, wheels, and crosses, with Trask having more weapons than Geno.

TheGreyGhost fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 15, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Declan MacManus posted:

no

he could end up a better player in the long term but tua’ was faster, had a better arm, and was more accurate in terms of ball placement coming out of college

Is Tua faster than Mac tho? I'm sure he was in college, but did the hip surgery sap all his foot speed? I didn't watch Tua this year

I watched some of this years Iron Bowl and Mac pasted them just like he did every other team

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 15, 2021

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is Tua faster than Mac tho? I'm sure he was in college, but did the hip surgery sap all his foot speed? I didn't watch Tua this year

I watched some of this years Iron Bowl and Mac pasted them just like he did every other team

Once upon a time, yeah. His hip surgery and history of lower body injuries really have sapped a lot of his foot speed, since he used to be close to a dual-threat. He got a lot of his throwing speed back, but he clearly didn't rehab or come back running as well as he was, since I'd say he's a 4.8 guy now. There's no reason he can't do the Mayfield thing of a once every 20 plays scramble after leaving the pocket. Jones isn't doing that. In fact, Mac in general doesn't look nearly as comfortable as Tua did in the boot/rollout game in favor of the predictability of the pocket.

Sorry, last year's Iron Bowl. This year's Auburn team didn't have the horses to pull that off.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Tua was faster than Mac before they even set his hip back in place

Mac probably couldn't beat Brady in a race

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Jones doesn't boot, roll out, scramble, or even lift his feet to pass. He's as statue as statue comes.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

I think we'd be more likely to take Lance.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Raku posted:

Tua was faster than Mac before they even set his hip back in place

Mac probably couldn't beat Brady in a race

Maybe if they were racing through a buffet

My god, son.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I thought that was peak performance?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Some powerful Eli energy there

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
He looks like a good chunk of their fans. A man of the people if you will

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Maybe if they were racing through a buffet

My god, son.

dang that bumps him up to the first round of my heart

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

That's a man who looks at Ben Roethlisberger with admiration

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Nodoze posted:

That's a man who looks at Ben Roethlisberger with admiration

Is his dick charcoal colored?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Paunchy with a cigar... I'm in this picture, but not sure if I like it.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Is his dick charcoal colored?

i think you're thinking of brett favre

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Is Micah Parsons more of a middle linebacker prospect or an edge rusher? I've seen conflicting reports that he's great at pass defense and that it's one of his big limitations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
No traditional combine this year

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1350263000968679426

We covered this earlier but now it looks like they've made the decision.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Seems about as smart as can be expected from the NFL.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I hope this means we get another virtual draft that ends with a drunk and depressed Goodell slumped in his chair again

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

zimbomonkey posted:

Is Micah Parsons more of a middle linebacker prospect or an edge rusher? I've seen conflicting reports that he's great at pass defense and that it's one of his big limitations.

IMO he's a traditional off of the ball linebacker for 90% of the league. Maybe Parsons does have some untapped potential to play as an actual edge rusher, but he's really a blitzer and I think the distinction is important. There's a difference between being a guy who is the 5th rusher 20% of the time and a guy who is sitting out there on the edge all day.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 16, 2021

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The literal trio of Miami pass rushers currently getting day 1 and 2 hype is madness right? I know one opted out but man I'd expect more than 12 combined sacks against an all ACC schedule if they're that good.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The literal trio of Miami pass rushers currently getting day 1 and 2 hype is madness right? I know one opted out but man I'd expect more than 12 combined sacks against an all ACC schedule if they're that good.

miami's defensive line was really good and probably the biggest bright spot on the team

rousseau is a monster, roche was very good in 2019 (19 tfl, 13 sacks, aac defensive player of the year) before transferring to miami and fits the physical bill of a premier nfl pass rusher (sucks against the run though), and jalean phillips had a breakout season and was the #1 high school recruit for whatever that matters

i think it's mostly that the draft is really thin at guys who can effectively rush the passer

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

please say how good the top 2 or 3 receivers are compared to previous drafts. is this year similar to 2011 for that. say something like that. yes or no and more

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the timelines have narrowed enough that we're just on a timeline where Chase is the bengals pick. The only thing that can change is whether or not they did anything In free agency to prepare for that.

Don't mind me I'll just be sitting here quietly in the corner reminding myself that I was pissed The Bengals took AJ Green over Da'Quan Bowers in 2011.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

who is the biggest WR bust in this draft class that will be available late in the first so I can already get acquainted with him

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Is it really a galaxy brain take to think Ja’Marr Chase is still WR1? He’s going to be incredible.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
He is who I hope the Dolphins can still get if they trade down.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Diva Cupcake posted:

Is it really a galaxy brain take to think Ja’Marr Chase is still WR1? He’s going to be incredible.

I see him as the clear #1.

I don't see how you rank the top 5 players in this class regardless of positional value and don't have him in the top 5. I think you could argue it's Lawrence, Sewell and Chase 1 2 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

Hell no. People who are declaring Smith the clear
Cut #1 WR in the draft are suffering from recency bias or are bama homers.