Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

avoraciopoctules posted:

There's a 2d Zelda-like coming out in a little over a week.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1393750/Oceans_Heart/

Anybody else hear about this? Pixel art seems decent, but the footage of combat I've seen in the trailers feels a little unpolished compared to a classic Zelda, and I'm worried that they might have gone a little too ambitious and neglected the core of the game. It's hard to make a perfect game in this niche. Still, I had a really good time with Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King, so I figure it's possible Ocean's Heart could also end up quite fun.

more like nintendolawyer-like. that outfit for the steam banner :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

God I love playing dress up in this game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If I’m going into the trial of the sword, which is a better 30 minute recipe, attack or defense?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Cartoon Man posted:

If I’m going into the trial of the sword, which is a better 30 minute recipe, attack or defense?

I usually choose defense because I’m a lot better at hitting than avoiding getting hit.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
The faster you kill the less you get hit

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Taking off all your armor and completing the trial in your boxers will just incentivize you to fight even better.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When I did it I took defense but I didn't need it

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I wanted to max out the OoT set because that's my favourite, but fallen stars are too hard to get so gently caress it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I wanted to max out the OoT set because that's my favourite, but fallen stars are too hard to get so gently caress it.

Get a fire weapon some wood and warp to the top of the dueling peaks. Drop the wood and light it with the fire weapon. Camp till morning twice, then camp till night. Face Hateno tower and wait. Keep your camera still, it always spawns in field of vision. You’ll see it drop between 9:30PM and 3:00AM. You can usually warp to Hateno tower and glide to it. You must grab it by 5AM or it despawns. One out of every ten might drop in water or clip into a mountain. The rest can be grabbed. When you get one, warp back to dueling peaks and sleep till morning twice, then night and repeat. If it fails to drop in the night, exit out of the game and try again.

Here the spawn radius:

Sometimes it’s easier to warp to the shrines between the three Hinox’s.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 16, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What part of that is supposed to be not a pain in the rear end

It's way worse than dragon parts even

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

At 3-5 mins for each star, that’s like an hour grinding to upgrade the gear. Considering a lot of us have like 150+ hours in this game.

It still sucks though and is one of the worse design decisions in the game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cartoon Man posted:

It still sucks though and is one of the worse design decisions in the game.

It is, and the irony is that most of the items that require tons of star bits aren't that good when upgraded. They should have just given the player cosmetic slots.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Upgrading all your gear to full when you are already a god is only for obsessives and is it's own punishment

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Sure, but you probably won't even get enough star fragments to fully upgrade one set that uses them just from playing normally.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I think I've collected two star fragments in all the time I've spent over multiple playthroughs, I never even knew what they were for.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

The Bloop posted:

Upgrading all your gear to full when you are already a god is only for obsessives and is it's own punishment

Nothing you've said is a lie.

...I fully upgraded all my Amiibo equipment because I hate myself.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

It is, and the irony is that most of the items that require tons of star bits aren't that good when upgraded. They should have just given the player cosmetic slots.

Cosmetic slots would've been amazing. I think I spent most of my playthroughs in the stealth gear because it basically made you into (more) of Link the Cryptid.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Having recently accomplished this feat, I concur. I farmed all 100 stars needed for all the amiibo gear. The worst part was farming the Topaz for it. I finally started killing all the Lynels for random Topaz drops alongside all the Talus. Other biggest pain in the rear end was farming Giant Ancient Cores from guardians. You can kill all guardians in front of Hyrule and all the guardians in the Major Test of Strength trials and maybe get 2 if your lucky.

I love how Nintendo could be assed to code in enough gear slots for all the possible armor. I had to sell my Hylian set and my threadbare shirt and shorts. :catstare:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

One of the things keeping me really invested in OG Hyrule Warriors is getting all the character and fairy costumes. I don't know what it is about that, what kind of itch it scratches, but whatever it's doing I can't stop.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition is a superb game for people who love Unlocking.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition is a superb game for people who love Unlocking.

ngl a thing keeping me from getting interested in age of calamity is the lack of costumes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

ngl a thing keeping me from getting interested in age of calamity is the lack of costumes

There are a metric shitload of costumes, they're just almost all for Link.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Cartoon Man posted:

Having recently accomplished this feat, I concur. I farmed all 100 stars needed for all the amiibo gear. The worst part was farming the Topaz for it. I finally started killing all the Lynels for random Topaz drops alongside all the Talus. Other biggest pain in the rear end was farming Giant Ancient Cores from guardians. You can kill all guardians in front of Hyrule and all the guardians in the Major Test of Strength trials and maybe get 2 if your lucky.

I love how Nintendo could be assed to code in enough gear slots for all the possible armor. I had to sell my Hylian set and my threadbare shirt and shorts. :catstare:

There were enough at first but then they added a bunch of stuff in the updates and... didn't add more slots.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

There are a metric shitload of costumes, they're just almost all for Link.

Gotcha. I must have misremembered the original, because I just took a look at the wiki and it seems like most of the characters only have color scheme swaps outside of the main crew. Would you recommend going with the original Definitive Edition or Age of Calamity? I played the story mode of the original Wii U release but not much past that.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Gotcha. I must have misremembered the original, because I just took a look at the wiki and it seems like most of the characters only have color scheme swaps outside of the main crew. Would you recommend going with the original Definitive Edition or Age of Calamity? I played the story mode of the original Wii U release but not much past that.

If you enjoyed the gameplay of the original and the setting/style of BOTW, you’ll have a blast with Age of Calamity

There’s also a demo of you want to try it to make sure

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

You've hardly scratched the surface of the original at that point, the adventure mode is ginormous. And if you like costumes there's always the fairies too.

I'll let you know which one I recommend in 2023 when I finally complete the original and get to playing Age of Calamity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

It depends.

Age of Calamity is a much stronger game mechanically in terms of character design and overall gameplay but it isn't like the original Hyrule Warriors is bad. It just has a lot of annoying design problems they fixed in the sequel. On the other hand DE has so much content it is absolutely batshit insane. Even if you're not into grinding the biggest numbers it has a ludicrous amount of characters.

If you want something that you can play and finish in a reasonable timeframe and whose post-game is fairly time-and-player friendly go AoC.
If you want something that will last you hundreds of hours and you can pick up and just complete some objectives in anytime you want, go DE.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks! I think for me it's coming down to:

Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition:
  • Broader and deeper range of Zelda fanservice
  • Better framerate
  • More focus on map control/strategy

Age of Calamity:
  • Focused BOTW fanservice
  • Better moment to moment gameplay despite lower framerate

Kind of leaning towards the original at this point, but still undecided!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FWIW I'm almost finished with Age of Calamity (beat the story, doing some post game stuff now) and I do prefer the original. Mostly I find the progression systems in AoC to be more frustrating than fun. It's a lot more work to keep all the characters up to snuff and just be able to use whoever you want at a given moment. It is still quite fun overall though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks! I think for me it's coming down to:

Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition:
  • Broader and deeper range of Zelda fanservice
  • Better framerate
  • More focus on map control/strategy

Age of Calamity:
  • Focused BOTW fanservice
  • Better moment to moment gameplay despite lower framerate

Kind of leaning towards the original at this point, but still undecided!

If both games interest you, start with the first and save age of Calamity until some time down the road when Nintendo has a dry spell. It’s new and may not go on sale anytime soon, but a year or so from now it should.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I only played AoC, but I really liked it. However, I feel like I didn't like it as much as the game expected me to. In the final like two chapters you unlock a lot of characters, but by that point I was locked on the three that I would for sure play with, and didn't care to stop my story momentum to level up and learn new guys. I barely managed with the level curve due to not messing around, and I was pretty content with finishing when the story ended rather than dig into the 200 hours of stuff I had available.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I finished AOC this weekend and enjoyed it for the most part. Some of the later bosses are just HP sponges and just generally kind of unfun. Overall, it was a good time and above average for a Musou game. They really translated the BOTW style well.

My biggest gripe? Well, kind of let down by the ending and the way the story unfolded. But I guess is such the way of spin-offs.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yay, Trial of the sword completed. I used a guide to cheese the Lynels and Gaurdians with ancient arrows though...

:ninja:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No shame in cheesing your way thru the trials. I can’t even seem to do that, let alone making it through legit

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

One of the Hinox almost got me cause there’s really not much you can do to cheese them. I felt like I could’ve killed the solo Lynel without an ancient arrow. The Lynel in the giant pack of mounted Bokoblins with a bonus turret up top? Lol no way.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean the ancient arrows are right there to find and can only be used in there so I don't see how that's "cheesing" anything

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks for the Hyrule Warriors input, I ended up getting Definitive Edition for now. It feels really great to play, framerate is super smooth and the additions since the Wii U version like switching between characters and owl statues really makes managing the big Legends mode maps much more fun. Happy with this game so far!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

Yay, Trial of the sword completed. I used a guide to cheese the Lynels and Gaurdians with ancient arrows though...

:ninja:

The real cheese is breaking through the geometry and outright skipping the whole thing

(Which I did on my 2nd Master playthrough because gently caress that starting trial. I did the other 2 just fine)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Replaying this again, and this game still manages to surprise me with these completely unexpected beautiful moments that just happen to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yep