Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Also the comic book AIM outfits are already hazmat suits that just happen to look like bee keeper outfits, so what you said doesn't actually rule them being involved out.

They generally don't have the good guys logo on the back, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

They generally don't have the good guys logo on the back, though.

I think it's probably a red herring, but it's also 100% imagery they chose because it's so loaded.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Why are people assuming the (e2)helicopter was a real helicopter when it seems way more logical for it to be a spy drone, which would also explain the red and gold colours, it could be tech Pepper has supplied SWORD with and Wanda recognises it subconsciously. Same with the 'beekeeper' outfit and people immediately jumping to AIM when AIM in the movies was just Guy Pearce's evil corporate goons. Way more likely just a hazmat suit being 'translated' into sitcom-land terms, especially as it has the SWORD logo on it.

I think it was an actual helicopter and that's how Geraldine/Monica got into town. Then once SWORD didn't hear from her, they sent in the guy in the beekeeper suit from the sewers.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Given the commercial in Ep2 I'm 100% choosing to believe that was Swarm and nobody can stop me :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

Given the commercial in Ep2 I'm 100% choosing to believe that was Swarm and nobody can stop me :colbert:

I am 100% down with Swarm going from Nazi made of bees to evil Nazi beekeeper

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

I am 100% down with Swarm going from Nazi made of bees to evil Nazi beekeeper

I'm not.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Kingtheninja posted:

A neat reddit theory I saw thought The commercials were referencing traumas from Wanda's past. Starting with the stark bomb, then strucker experimenting on her and pietro with the watch.

tbh I thought that was obvious enough that I wouldn't consider it a theory, but I guess we'll see

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No more Nazis, she whispered

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My initial impression was that the suit was some sort of hazmat suit specifically designed to repel the whole sitcom-zone effect going on, and the beekeeper look and the bees represented nothing so much as an attempt by the reality modification field to account for "guy in a heavy suit" and "local defenses made by the field." I don't think it's a bad guy, I think at the stage Wanda just plain doesn't want to actually know what's going on so anything that represents a threat to her perception of stability looks immediately scary and she zips it away.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

tbh I thought that was obvious enough that I wouldn't consider it a theory, but I guess we'll see

Ep 3 will probably gives us enough data points to confirm a pattern.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

If loving only.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

This is what the Chris Evans rumours are about, she says it, and Cap walks in from off-camera, clapping and teary eyed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

This is what the Chris Evans rumours are about, she says it, and Cap walks in from off-camera, clapping and teary eyed.

No, Cap comes in and says "Wait, you could've done that the whole time?!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Retro Futurist posted:

WandaVision classed up with a Broadway star.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gavok posted:

WandaVision classed up with a Broadway star.

Kathryn Hahn was in the 2008 Broadway run of Boeing Boeing as one of the three girlfriends alongside Gina Gershon and Mary McCormack! She was great! Sheesh!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Are they all dating each other? I would be interested in that

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

Are they all dating each other? I would be interested in that

No it's a farce set in the 60s about this ne'er-do-well guy who's dating three stewardesses on non-overlapping schedules so none of them are ever in Paris at the same time. Then when faster commercial jet-planes get introduced, well... ha ha ha... he he he....!.... well you can just imagine what kind of merry mix-ups start to pile up.

(It's not that great of a play)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

How Wonderful! posted:

No it's a farce set in the 60s about this ne'er-do-well guy who's dating three stewardesses on non-overlapping schedules so none of them are ever in Paris at the same time. Then when faster commercial jet-planes get introduced, well... ha ha ha... he he he....!.... well you can just imagine what kind of merry mix-ups start to pile up.

(It's not that great of a play)

Before my mother retired she used to be the police reporter for a local newspaper. One of the perks of which was getting to use the occasional free theatre tickets that got sent to the paper. And as it happened, she invited me along to go see Boeing, Boeing. The cast were having fun with it and there were some funny moments mostly due to the quality of the performances, but overall I have to concur. Not really a great play.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This could be about WandaVision

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1350491373019938822?s=20

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Exasperated Badger posted:

In the second episode, when Wanda wins the talent contest, the way Dottie and the other ladies are acting has got some "Clap! Clap and smile for the monster so she won't wish us into the cornfield" vibes. The show does make more sense when you realise that Wanda's, to townspeople like Dottie and Vision's boss, an antagonist come to disrupt their lives and make puppets of them.
But on the other hand, Wanda doesn't instigate the "for the children" chants -- she seems to have no idea that's a thing and is gamely playing along, while the rest of the town treats it as life and death. Maybe the point of this is Billy and Tommy getting created, and whoever's doing it is just using the sitcom trappings to make Wanda comfortable with basically getting an Avengers 200 pulled on her?

There's definitely strong evidence for both "someone is doing this to Wanda" and "Wanda is doing this to herself", I think.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

But on the other hand, Wanda doesn't instigate the "for the children" chants -- she seems to have no idea that's a thing and is gamely playing along, while the rest of the town treats it as life and death. Maybe the point of this is Billy and Tommy getting created, and whoever's doing it is just using the sitcom trappings to make Wanda comfortable with basically getting an Avengers 200 pulled on her?

There's definitely strong evidence for both "someone is doing this to Wanda" and "Wanda is doing this to herself", I think.

There's the fact that Jimmy Woo's voice on the radio calls her Wanda and not like "Agent Maximoff". I think they're going for there being pre-existing weirdness, they call in an Avenger to help and oops, trauma + weird town + magic = we're in the Dick Van Dyke Show.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

CapnAndy posted:

I also got the feeling that the children stuff was being pushed on Wanda as some sort of subliminal suggestion. I haven’t rewatched the episodes yet but it seemed like Agnes kept bringing up kids - asking Wanda if she had them, noting Dottie could get them in the best schools, etc. My guess is Agnes is somehow manipulating Wanda to be the Twilight zone child controlling the neighborhood for her own nefarious ends.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jagermonster posted:

I also got the feeling that the children stuff was being pushed on Wanda as some sort of subliminal suggestion. I haven’t rewatched the episodes yet but it seemed like Agnes kept bringing up kids - asking Wanda if she had them, noting Dottie could get them in the best schools, etc. My guess is Agnes is somehow manipulating Wanda to be the Twilight zone child controlling the neighborhood for her own nefarious ends.

I like this, but I think it's going at it the wrong way. To me it seems Agnes is representing Wanda's desires and being the actual mouthpiece for them. In the first episode it's about making her husband happy and keeping him that way. In the second it's about the idea of having kids. These are things that Wanda wants. It might also be possible Agnes is manipulating her, but I don't see to what end that would be. So I think it's more that everyone in the town is somehow under Wanda's spell, but she's not consciously controlling them. And we've seen flickers where the people in the town are aware of it, but they're either incapable or too frightened to fight back.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Agnes has been somewhat different from other townsfolk. When she asked Wanda a bunch of penetrating questions she also took no answer pretty happily, and she got there to ask them first, and she even offered fill in innocuous answers and suggestions (helpfully pointing out the ring thing without pushing). I think she was confirming her suspicions that Wanda has no awareness of the situation, where others don't have that luxury.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
She's also, I believe, the only character outside of the title pair (and the commercials) that we've seen in a scene by herself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, Batwoman came back this week. For anyone wondering how they wrote Kate off she was on a private jet back from visiting Supergirl and the plane blows up and crashes. The only remains recovered from the crash site are one of the pilot's hands. Ryan Wilder (the new Batwoman) finds Kate's suit and puts it on in order to go after the Wonderland Gang and Alice because they were responsible for her mother's death.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
.....l...ma...o...?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So they just used the Santa Clause method

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

So, Batwoman came back this week. For anyone wondering how they wrote Kate off she was on a private jet back from visiting Supergirl and the plane blows up and crashes. The only remains recovered from the crash site are one of the pilot's hands. Ryan Wilder (the new Batwoman) finds Kate's suit and puts it on in order to go after the Wonderland Gang and Alice because they were responsible for her mother's death.

Ehh, makes sense to write her of in a spectacular way that also sorta allows her to come back in a later cameo if they/she wants too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Codependent Poster posted:

So they just used the Santa Clause method

It’s what they did to Henry Blake on MASH.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I still think they should've recast without acknowledging it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I still think they should've recast without acknowledging it.

:same:

But then that's what I thought about Black Panther but apparently that's not happening either so I guess I'm in the minority on this matter in general.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't they imply Kate's warlord ex from the comics did it? And it could easily be intended to give them an out for recasting as well, giving it time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol literally poochied

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

:same:

But then that's what I thought about Black Panther but apparently that's not happening either so I guess I'm in the minority on this matter in general.

Boseman was a beloved icon and Ruby Rose is really, really not.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Lurdiak posted:

Boseman was a beloved icon and Ruby Rose is really, really not.

Also Boseman died tragically young. Rose just quit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Like I feel really bad for the Ryan Wilder actress but there was absolutely no way this was going to end well after they revealed that they were outright replacing the friggin' title character of their series. Way to waste all the buildup they garnered for the character during the crossover events, an entire season setting up her relations and conflicts with characters like Alice, Mary, Jacob, and Sophie that were tied to Kate Kane very specifically, and her interesting family connection with the original Batman...all to introduce a new character that has zero history with anyone from the show or even any of the thousand Bat-adjacent DC characters.

Was the production team really so brazen as to assume this would work? If I were any more cynical I'd almost think they'd already given up on the show and just didn't want to spend any royalties on an existing character.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 20, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

BrianWilly posted:

Like I feel really bad for the Ryan Wilder actress but there was absolutely no way this was going to end well after they revealed that they were outright replacing the friggin' title character of their series. Way to waste all the buildup they garnered for the character during the crossover events, an entire season setting up her relations and conflicts with characters like Alice, Mary, Jacob, and Sophie that were tied to Kate Kane very specifically, and her interesting family connection with the original Batman...all to introduce a new character that has zero history with anyone from the show or even any of the thousand Bat-adjacent DC characters.

Was the production team really so brazen as to assume this would work? If I were any more cynical I'd almost think they'd already given up on the show and just didn't want to spend any royalties on an existing character.

In fairness to the show, they were really screwed when Ruby Rose just decided to leave.

I mean, there was a few things they could do. But all of them were fraught with problems.

Like imagine they went with the Face/Off option with Javica Leslie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Just recast Kate Kane. It's as simple as that. That's why I said it would've sucked for Javicia Leslie, but it's not as if she's owed a role or anything, and everything else in your show can carry on as planned. They've even done it before with other characters in this universe.

And that's why I almost suspect that they might've wanted to create their own original character just so they wouldn't have to pay royalties for a character whose creator -- Greg Rucka -- is still very much alive. They've done this sort of thing before already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh hey speaking of which, Savannah Welch has been cast as Barbara Gordon in Titans season 3.

Of note is that Welch is an amputee IRL, making this one of those uncommon cases where a character with a disability is played by an actor with an actual disability.