Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

go to the films at midnight launches

I agree with the rest of your post but midnight launches are some of the most fun I’ve ever had at the theater. The enthusiasm everyone has is great, I’ve had fun watching some real turds at that kind of thing. I had fun watching Transformers 2 at that kind of thing. Now that the first showings are 7pm it’s not as fun anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

GWBBQ posted:

The Star Wars Expanded Universe is just fanfiction that's somehow accepted as canon by the people who understand why George Lucas should not have been allowed to touch that movie franchise after Return of the Jedi but somehow think that we should still care what he says.

Look, George Lucas said that the cantina music is a genre called Jizz and you’ve got a lot of nerve coming here and telling me that’s not true

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Look, George Lucas said that the cantina music is a genre called Jizz and you’ve got a lot of nerve coming here and telling me that’s not true

I'm still laughing about Fungo Hairstylios.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I agree with the rest of your post but midnight launches are some of the most fun I’ve ever had at the theater. The enthusiasm everyone has is great, I’ve had fun watching some real turds at that kind of thing. I had fun watching Transformers 2 at that kind of thing. Now that the first showings are 7pm it’s not as fun anymore.

Yeah i was maybe a bit unfair i was picturing people queuing for hours for a front row seat kinda thing

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'd rather speak quenya than finnish thanks

Not enough ääs and öös.

The prequels are better than the new trilogy because they had a real vision behind them. It was about Darth Sidious and the fall of the Jedi Order. All the politics stuff is the point, not a boring flaw. The bad acting, directing, and using them for a vehicle to prove what you can do with CGI is too bad.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Manager Hoyden posted:

Texas is in the top ten and also in the bottom ten. When it's good it's got some of the best culture, food, music, etc but when it's bad it's really bad. Like a big Tennessee.

As a Texan I completely agree. I love this state. But also hate this state.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The best thing about Texas and the worst thing about Texas is that it’s full of Texans.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The best state is the one you're in right now because you're rad and you make everything you touch better.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
"Elbow bumps" (even fist bumps honestly) look and feel so awkward that it's better to just never do it and accept we can't touch each other at all until handshakes are safe again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Hand shakes are forbidden” is a meme from the dark ages when the transmission modes of SARS‐CoV‐2 were poorly understood and even more poorly publicised.

Germ transfer from hand to hand is less concerning that just moving in close enough to make contact. Elbow bumps would only sort of make sense if we had arms like eight feet long.

The six foot rule is also kind of magical thinking, but it’s a start.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

in holland the rule is 1.5 meters and people treat this as a kind of safe minimum and stand as close as possible to you, instead of just staying away

the elbow thing is really stupid and seems to be mostly there to amuse normies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm annoyed at all these stores that already have their Black History Month displays out. It's January 18th! Black History Month is already an entire month long, you can wait until it has actually started

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

“Hand shakes are forbidden” is a meme from the dark ages when the transmission modes of SARS‐CoV‐2 were poorly understood and even more poorly publicised.

Germ transfer from hand to hand is less concerning that just moving in close enough to make contact. Elbow bumps would only sort of make sense if we had arms like eight feet long.

The six foot rule is also kind of magical thinking, but it’s a start.

The six foot rule and the 15 minute rule got way too wired into people’s brains (and government officials) as exact things that you can get around.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I hate to say it, but imo flo from progressive has been phoning it in lately

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Martin Luther King Jr. has become a straight-up Messianic figure in the eyes of a lot of people who see his assassination as somehow being the sacrificial act that cleansed the nation of the original sin of racism. To the point that I worry the myth has become counter-productive to his goals, both as a social reformer and as an actual reverend. Unfortunately, any argument starting with "here's why MLK needs to be taken down a peg or two," is going to be a non-starter for some obvious reasons and would be immediately co-opted by bad actors.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

The six foot rule and the 15 minute rule got way too wired into people’s brains (and government officials) as exact things that you can get around.

I work for the non-tech side of a tech company and the upper management has all these proxemics numbers they monitor with cameras in the ceiling and they completely ignore that:
1)Nothing is set up to allow people to stay 6 feet apart
And
2)Everyone is constantly walking around so even if you’re six feet apart you’d still be walking through a virus cloud from someone who’s infected.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
jus work from home mang

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

hawowanlawow posted:

I hate to say it, but imo flo from progressive has been phoning it in lately

I don't usually watch cable/broadcast/commercials but due to holiday circumstances I have to agree. What's extra weird is that she's an actor. She was in Mad Men (haven't got to her episodes yet) but also House MD, which I saw the episode of being broadcast and then recognized her from that and then there would be a commercial where indeed she is taking a backseat to the rest of the progressive crew who I did not recognize.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sliced bread isn’t great and it’s insulting to compare the best new things to it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zzulu posted:

jus work from home mang

This reminds me of my own personal unpopular opinion, working from home is goddamn miserable a lot of the time. I don’t know if it’s because I hate the kind of jobs that can be done from home+not seeing people, or if working from home is its own kind of hell, but every time I’ve done it it’s been awful.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
working from home loving owns, i roll out of bed at 8:55, i don't have to worry about taking lunch, don't have to spend money on fuel, don't have to commute there or back, i can sit with whatever random youtube or netflix video I have on to help the day pass, it loving owns so hard

the only bad side about working from home is i don't get to go into an office and interact with dozens of ..... AHAHAHAHAHA who am i kidding, no part of it is bad

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

JollyBoyJohn posted:

working from home loving owns, i roll out of bed at 8:55, i don't have to worry about taking lunch, don't have to spend money on fuel, don't have to commute there or back, i can sit with whatever random youtube or netflix video I have on to help the day pass, it loving owns so hard

the only bad side about working from home is i don't get to go into an office and interact with dozens of ..... AHAHAHAHAHA who am i kidding, no part of it is bad

I have always hated working from home, and HAVING to do it is a loving nightmare.

edit:

This reminds me of my own personal unpopular opinion, working from home is goddamn miserable a lot of the time. I don’t know if it’s because I hate the kind of jobs that can be done from home+not seeing people, or if working from home is its own kind of hell, but every time I’ve done it it’s been awful.

I'm a QA engineer, and I absolutely love my job, but working from home is chipping away at my sanity. Maybe it's because I'm an extroverted kind of person, but I miss literally everything about working in an office, even commuting.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm a QA engineer, and I absolutely love my job, but working from home is chipping away at my sanity. Maybe it's because I'm an extroverted kind of person, but I miss literally everything about working in an office, even commuting.

Horses for courses but I cannot comprehend anything more opposite to my way of thinking

really though I just despise commuting and car ownership sooo much that not having to do that is worth 100 times all the other benefits

i'm also a dumbass accounts clerk though so my job is hardly prestigious

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

I do one big commute a week (3 hours each way) and I miss having smaller commutes where I can listen to my podcasts and decompress every day. 20-30 minutes is the ideal IMO, past that it gets a bit long, shorter than that and it’s just a hassle.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Working from home blurs the lines between my personal and professional spaces a bit too much to my liking. Like, not enough to actively bitch about it, but given the choice I would prefer to separate them entirely.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

I do one big commute a week (3 hours each way) and I miss having smaller commutes where I can listen to my podcasts and decompress every day. 20-30 minutes is the ideal IMO, past that it gets a bit long, shorter than that and it’s just a hassle.

i used to do 45 minutes each way 5 days a week and it was not even the worst commute in my department never mind the office and it sucked major balls and had zero redeeming aspects

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The only time you're allowed to truly be yourself is when you're driving down an empty highway at 7am to a job you love. You can crank the stereo, sing your face off, and buttdance like you mean it. It's one of the only things about being an adult that feels like a blessing.

It's the weirdos that listen to talk radio or podcasts on long commutes that I worry about. They're always so intense.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fizzymercy posted:

The only time you're allowed to truly be yourself is when you're driving down an empty highway at 7am to a job you love. You can crank the stereo, sing your face off, and buttdance like you mean it. It's one of the only things about being an adult that feels like a blessing.

who the gently caress leaves for work at 7am?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
People that have a 40 mile commute and have to be at work by 9am but can't avoid the 288 and Beltway 8 interchange OR the Houston Medical center at peak traffic hours.

e: The hour of the day doesn't matter. It's the buttdancing and car karaoke without an audience that matter.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Jan 19, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fizzymercy posted:

People that have a 40 mile commute and have to be at work by 9am but can't avoid the 288 and Beltway 8 interchange OR the Houston Medical center at peak traffic hours.

drat, I had a 22 mile commute but i used to leave at 8:15 every morning because I live in remote scotland where there are no cars but also no highways lol

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

fizzymercy posted:

a job you love

?

???

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The only job I love is a "blow" job!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

JollyBoyJohn posted:

who the gently caress leaves for work at 7am?

I do (well, did). That way I get to leave early and dodge some of the beltway rush hour. I mean, all day feels like rush hour on it but it's a lot worse around 5 than it is at 3:30 - 4.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

e: The hour of the day doesn't matter. It's the buttdancing and car karaoke without an audience that matter.

I just moved from right next to the MedCenter when I bought a house.

I am so sorry for you.

Also working from home owns, and I am only applying to remote positions from here on out. Thankfully, my job is easily done remotely and a huge percentage of my industry was fully remote even before the pandemic!

My dog gets to go out whenever she wants, I get to cook for myself instead of buying lunch, my only co-worker is my also WFH home wife who I like chatting with, I don't have to commute. I used to drive 90m each way every day to a job I hated to work with people I only sort of liked and had to either bring lunch or pay for expensive restaurant food every day. WFH is the bee's knees.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I had a combined 4 hour bus commute and even though commuting by bus or train is the best way to commute I'm still glad not to have to do it any more.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I am less worried about climate change than I was in august of 2018.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I do not prefer working from home. Welp thanks for reading my post.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
All you people who hate working from home, you must really really like your jobs and really hate your own free time.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I have never worked, and thus cannot conceive a job that you can do from home. Like, is it office work? Computer touching? Is your life like the Office Space movie? What are meetings like, what do they do, the movie made it seem like meetings didn't do anything.

A person who drives a tractor, and holds a shovel, I understand those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

fizzymercy posted:

This is like another language.