Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So many good choices. Ice planet, m tron, forestmen, castle, etc. And yet you know classic space will win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Ika posted:

So many good choices. Ice planet, m tron, forestmen, castle, etc. And yet you know classic space will win.

It's not that I don't like Classic Space, but it does seem to vacuum up all the nostalgia. I'm legitimately surprised that Lego haven't capitalised on it more than a couple of Lego Movie sets. If anything they were more taking the piss out of it with Benny and his obsession for 1980's Space Tech.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Voted Ice Planet, M-Tron and Model team. But holy heck I'd love to see Ice Planet specifically.

My sister had that exact Spyrius set. I still kind of remember coveting the few sets she had for the many years they were off-limits to me. That baseplate was so hard to work with because of the pit in the middle. (Oddly it doesn't look like brickset has that baseplate as part of a parts listing - I was kinda curious if it got used elsewhere)

Also, surprised to see Divers on that list - I had a bunch of that theme - I don't know if I asked for it, or my parents just picked it out for me. It's not a bad theme - it gave me a lot of good parts as a kid (and lots of sharks,) but I dont feel a ton of nostalgia for it.

e: Yeah, I kinda hope we don't get classic space given there was Spaceshipx3, but also I feel like some of the space themes to come after were just more fun and had better colour schemes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Oxyclean posted:

Also, surprised to see Divers on that list - I had a bunch of that theme - I don't know if I asked for it, or my parents just picked it out for me. It's not a bad theme - it gave me a lot of good parts as a kid (and lots of sharks,) but I dont feel a ton of nostalgia for it.

Town and Friends have both done a lot of similar sets in recent years so while there's a market there it's probably being met.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Voted Ice Planet, M-Tron and Model team. But holy heck I'd love to see Ice Planet specifically.

My sister had that exact Spyrius set. I still kind of remember coveting the few sets she had for the many years they were off-limits to me. That baseplate was so hard to work with because of the pit in the middle. (Oddly it doesn't look like brickset has that baseplate as part of a parts listing - I was kinda curious if it got used elsewhere)

e: Yeah, I kinda hope we don't get classic space given there was Spaceshipx3, but also I feel like some of the space themes to come after were just more fun and had better colour schemes.

It won't be too much longer until the Classic Space grogs thin out amongst a horde of Blacktron I, M-tron, Space Police grogs and by the time the Blacktron II / Ice Planet and Space Police II grogs come of age Classic Space stuff ancient history. I grew up in the 90's and had a fair amount of hand me down Classic Space sets from my Dad and Uncle, but the real nostalgia is going to be when Exploriens and Ice Planet for me. People my age are starting to be designers at Lego and I can already see an Ice Planet nod in the new Ninjago set, so its happening.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Ice Planet, Blacktron and Bionicle voted for. I can see a rush of Bionicle votes coming in though.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Any UK goons out on their weekly 1 person only shopping trip might want to check out Sainsbury's. My local (Ely) had a decent amount of reduced sets to make way for the 2021 arrivals. I grabbed a bunch of those Lego Dots bags that were reduced to 50 p each, so I am well stocked on small pastel tile pieces now. I also saw a few Harry Potter ones at 50 % off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

mitochondritom posted:

Any UK goons out on their weekly 1 person only shopping trip might want to check out Sainsbury's. My local (Ely) had a decent amount of reduced sets to make way for the 2021 arrivals. I grabbed a bunch of those Lego Dots bags that were reduced to 50 p each, so I am well stocked on small pastel tile pieces now. I also saw a few Harry Potter ones at 50 % off.

Ooh thanks! I’ll have a look tomorrow!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Classic space just because they said "reimagined", I don't really want just more classic space as is. Benny's spaceship didn't do that much for me. Maybe I'm reading too much into it though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I imagine they've got reimagined concepts for all the themes on the drawing board at least, and I want to see them. Go full 80s Florida Vaporwave on the Paradisa line, please.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Forestmen
Blacktron
Imperials

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I hope a lot of people respond and lego realizes there is tons of demand for good themes that aren't just IP from other companies.

Also they should combine votes for the castle sub themes and pirate sub themes and then just choose the one with the most individual votes.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Oxyclean posted:

You mean this one?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah - I dont think brickset has it in their database - was curious if it got used in other sets.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah - I dont think brickset has it in their database - was curious if it got used in other sets.

Literacy is hard for me.

The rebrickable alternate inventory has it, and both rebrickable and the bricklink page show it was used in 3 sets: 6959 natch, and also 6988 and 6991.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I would go wild for a reimagined Adventurers set, but I'll honestly probably be pretty happy with whatever comes out assuming it doesn't land on one of the themes like town or model team that we basically still get to this day. I'm of the opinion that classic space mostly doesn't hold up at this point but that's because of how sparse and rudimentary the builds are rather than the design itself, so a modern reimagining would be fantastic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Time Cruisers would be a pretty interesting choice because so many people consider it the result of the company at their worst, and refreshing it with modern set design would be some good vindication.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Trains goddammit.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Already pointed out, but classic space will obviously win.

I'm guessing pirates will be #2.

After that, I'd think it would be castle but the way it is broken up, it's a bit trickier.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Apparently we're just voting for the top 3 sets; Lego chooses which of those to make secretly.

Kinda hope it won't be pirates, considering we just got a classic set reimagining of that already.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Koramei posted:

Kinda hope it won't be pirates, considering we just got a classic set reimagining of that already.

That was the only reason I didn't vote for it. Plenty of other ignored lego properties that need a modern treatment.

It's also why I didn't vote for classic space, galaxy explorer isn't as cool as the amount of attention it gets. But I did write in Futuron for the text box option at the bottom. :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Feenix posted:

Trains goddammit.

I kinda want trains too, but I'm kinda just hoping they start to happen regardless. They did the crocodile train last year, and with them starting to lean into their adult market more, it feels like it'd make sense for them to make it a thing they do more regularly, rather then just the city and cargo train re-runs they do every few years.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

mitochondritom posted:

Went with

Forestmen
Wolfpack
Exploriens

With the expectation that Wolfpack and Exploriens are basically protest votes and have a near zero chance of any success!

I voted for Wolfpack and Forestmen too.

Also one of the other knights, I don't even remember which even though it was less than a minute ago.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Aquazone
Ice Planet
Dragon Knights

Were my votes. If Islanders would have been a specific option I would have to had dropped ice planet or dragon knights for it. I know aquazone won’t win, but god drat if I could get the experience of building a reimagined Neptune Discovery Lab I would never be happier with a Lego experience.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

It looks like Brickset is trying to pull that inventory from Lego.com, and only the pieces that have a current counterpart are coming through. If you click around you can use it to pull from Rebrickable or Bricklink instead:

https://brickset.com/inventories/6959-1/rebrickable

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Captain Duvel posted:

Forestmen
Blacktron
Imperials

The correct answer.

We’ve already had pirates reimagined with barracuda bay, classic space got Benny’s Spaceship... I guess the medieval forge counts as classic castle, though a proper castle set is long overdue. Black knights is my favorite castle theme, something between that and Forestmen would be baller.

Adventurers would also be great. Sad Western wasn’t an option, a modern Fort Legoredo would be incredible. But I get that the depiction of the genocide of indigenous peoples in the US isn’t great in 2021, though clearly optics be damned with this years modular.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

For Aquazone they've literally got bright yellow submarines/underwater bases in the City line right now.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Bring it home, Blacktron.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

For Aquazone they've literally got bright yellow submarines/underwater bases in the City line right now.
It's not the same though. The city line is more like Divers (also on the voting) - some what grounded in reality. Aquazone is more fantastical/fictional - like the retro space themes (Ice Planet, M-Tron) but underwater.

It'd almost be like saying "well for Castle, you got Ninjago and Nexo Knights."

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Vote for mtron to get some new magnet pieces.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

deoju posted:

Vote for mtron to get some new magnet pieces.
Ice Planet had them too.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I spent a vote on Rock Raiders, I just found out about them recently but I love the chunky hard sci-fi aesthetic to the larger sets, almost like they'd be right at home in Starship Troopers or something. The vehicles weren't just designed to be sat in, they were designed to be climbed around and maintenanced. The weird color scheme somehow works and would be enhanced with a little use of some more modern colors (newer light orange and blue shades in particular).

I can't see why they weren't considered part of Space, they're clearly meant to be asteroid miners.

Also voted Paradisa and M-Tron but wrote in Islanders.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Oxyclean posted:

Aside from 6988 and 6991 that were already mentioned, that baseplate with different printing gets used in another Space set (6983), three Castles (6081, 6086, 6082) and three Pirate sets (6276, 6277, 6273)

Oxyclean posted:

Aquazone is more fantastical/fictional - like the retro space themes (Ice Planet, M-Tron) but underwater.

Funny you should mention that. I'm not sure Lego's ever confirmed it, but it's pretty widely believed that Aquazone came out of the development of an abandoned space theme called Sea-Tron, which is exactly what you described. There's a lot of people (myself included) that regard Aquazone as a Space theme (kind of) for that reason.

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I can't see why they weren't considered part of Space, they're clearly meant to be asteroid miners.

Brickpedia certainly considers them part of Space. That's backstory I never heard when I was a kid, but it might have been a regional thing like the Slizer/Throwbot distinction.

As for the vote, most of themes were the ones around when I was a kid so it's pretty tough, there's lots of nostalgia there. I also feel like there's some odd options, like Arctic which had a release just a couple of years ago. Also lumping all of Pirates into two choices while having most of the Castle and Space factions as separate choices. Sure, the pirates side is just one faction, but there were bluecoats, redcoats and the Spanish dudes for the Imperials as well as the Islanders.

For me it's Aquazone, Forestmen and Rock Raiders.

1000 Brown M and Ms fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 17, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Aside from 6988 and 6991 that were already mentioned, that baseplate with different printing gets used in another Space set (6983), three Castles (6081, 6086, 6082) and three Pirate sets (6276, 6277, 6273)
Cool - yeah I just noticed it in the 6983 when I was looking through Ice Planet sets.

I was kinda curious if the pit had much function, or if it was just cheaper to make it like that since a few sets kinda just build over it. The first of those castle sets kinda uses it as a dungeon or something. (And Im too lazy to comb through all the other instructions.)

e: Speaking of wacky baseplates: https://brickset.com/sets/4748-1/Ogel-s-Mountain-Fortress

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

If the Pirates of Barracuda Bay sold half as well as it was received by fans and critics alike, I think Lego would be insane not to make a follow up with a reimagining of Imperial Trading Post, the jewel of my childhood Lego and probably my favourite set.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Oxyclean posted:

Cool - yeah I just noticed it in the 6983 when I was looking through Ice Planet sets.

I was kinda curious if the pit had much function, or if it was just cheaper to make it like that since a few sets kinda just build over it. The first of those castle sets kinda uses it as a dungeon or something. (And Im too lazy to comb through all the other instructions.)

Not really, it was used either as a dungeon/storage area, or as just an empty pit. I have a feeling it's there for engineering reasons, since having a suspended baseplate is difficult to build on and the pit gives it a lot more stability.

quote:

e: Speaking of wacky baseplates: https://brickset.com/sets/4748-1/Ogel-s-Mountain-Fortress

Yeah, that appeared in a bunch of sets too. That one's kind of annoying since it's prone to bending in the middle between the raised areas. Sometimes people do really cool things with them though.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Not really, it was used either as a dungeon/storage area, or as just an empty pit. I have a feeling it's there for engineering reasons, since having a suspended baseplate is difficult to build on and the pit gives it a lot more stability.

Yeah, that appeared in a bunch of sets too. That one's kind of annoying since it's prone to bending in the middle between the raised areas. Sometimes people do really cool things with them though.

Dragon Fortress has a similar (same?) baseplate to the ones above. I have never managed to come up with anything to use it for, but have dutifully awkwardly carted it around to every house I have lived in. It is really cumbersome. The actual set is much cooler than I remember it being though, having looked at the Brickset page. I think got this around ~ 2007 from Ebay, around the time that Lego wasn't doing great and everything was quite cheap to get second hand as there wasn't a huge demand. I'm moving house soon and have packed it all up but I might rebuild this and display it alongside the Ninjago city in my new place.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

mitochondritom posted:

If the Pirates of Barracuda Bay sold half as well as it was received by fans and critics alike, I think Lego would be insane not to make a follow up with a reimagining of Imperial Trading Post, the jewel of my childhood Lego and probably my favourite set.

I remember looking at all those in the catalog as a kid and seeing how "expensive" they were then and knowing I couldn't get them.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Captain Duvel posted:

I remember looking at all those in the catalog as a kid and seeing how "expensive" they were then and knowing I couldn't get them.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

mitochondritom posted:

Dragon Fortress has a similar (same?) baseplate to the ones above. I have never managed to come up with anything to use it for, but have dutifully awkwardly carted it around to every house I have lived in. It is really cumbersome. The actual set is much cooler than I remember it being though, having looked at the Brickset page. I think got this around ~ 2007 from Ebay, around the time that Lego wasn't doing great and everything was quite cheap to get second hand as there wasn't a huge demand. I'm moving house soon and have packed it all up but I might rebuild this and display it alongside the Ninjago city in my new place.

I really like Temple of Mount Everest from that line too.