Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
For the triplets(e-up, citigo, mii) CC is optional, controls are in the stalk rather than the wheel, which I dislike due to being used to in wheel controls prior to my e-up.

Also the lane assist is single camera and really only reacts when you drift out of your lane steering you back in towards the other side of the lane, ping ponging you from left to right until it turns off due to lack of driver input. - -;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's more of a safety thing than driver automation I guess.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Toyota. But yeah I'm kind of shocked it even has regular CC at all. The Citigo I drove had "power windows" as its headline feature.

Toyota is the Japanese brand for the PSA petrol city car triplets(Toyota Aygo) compared to the electric which is Mitsubishi(i-Miev). Toyota doesn’t have a fully battery electric vehicle, only plugins at best.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

Toyota is the Japanese brand for the PSA petrol city car triplets(Toyota Aygo) compared to the electric which is Mitsubishi(i-Miev). Toyota doesn’t have a fully battery electric vehicle, only plugins at best.
Right, but I thought that was about the triples, and the i-Miev isn't one of them, while Ago is. But maybe I'm dumb and missing something.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure about the Skoda or the VW, but the Seat Mii Electric for some reason can't be ordered with auto-braking even tho it was standard equipment on the gas powered model? Seems like an incredibly stupid thing to cut.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm not sure about the Skoda or the VW, but the Seat Mii Electric for some reason can't be ordered with auto-braking even tho it was standard equipment on the gas powered model? Seems like an incredibly stupid thing to cut.

This is mostly right, it wasn't standard on the gas models, it was optional. But yeah I have no idea why it's this way. It's pretty stupid.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 17, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why couldn't they have put the HIDs on my Soul? They use less energy, right?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Everything I have heard about how VAG auto-braking systems works indicates you aren't missing much.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Shai-Hulud posted:

Oh well exsqueeze me! Of course i meant to say that it can charge up to 170km/h but under these conditions it reached more like 80km/h!

On a more fun topic! Look at it, its got dials! None of that fancy "displays everywhere" stuff. Its adorable!

So the left side is how much oomph you are giving the go fast pedal, the middle is speedo and odo and range, but what's on the right?

edit: :doh: It's the battery level, I see the stick on the dial now.

I thought the blue / red was the current level of oomph / speed, but now I see the sticks

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 17, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

So the left side is how much oomph you are giving the go fast pedal, the middle is speedo and odo and range, but what's on the right?

Charge level, same gauge is the gas tank.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
But why does it say 1/1, who the hell writes it like that

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Shai-Hulud posted:

This is mostly right, it wasn't standard on the gas models, it was optional. But yeah I have no idea why it's this way. It's pretty stupid.

Ah, my bad, it was standard in Sweden.

Saukkis posted:

Everything I have heard about how VAG auto-braking systems works indicates you aren't missing much.

AFAIK, the faulty ones are all the more advanced Front Assist System, the Up/Mii/Citigo used the less advanced City Emergency Brake System.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

I thought that some German cars do. Which a Seat kind of is :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Countries with citizens who learn maths

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
It doesn't have enough identities attached to it, something more like ((1/1)+0)*1)-0

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

mobby_6kl posted:

Right, but I thought that was about the triples, and the i-Miev isn't one of them, while Ago is. But maybe I'm dumb and missing something.

There are several sets of cars called "the triplets", the i-Miev is in one of them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Toyota's only fully electric vehicle (gently caress off mirai you don't count) is the proace van, which I think is a Vauxhall/Citroen/Toyota partnership anyway. They're going to get left so far behind unless they unveil something in the next year or two.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Toyota's only fully electric vehicle (gently caress off mirai you don't count) is the proace van, which I think is a Vauxhall/Citroen/Toyota partnership anyway. They're going to get left so far behind unless they unveil something in the next year or two.

They've announced a BEV platform which actually sounds good. https://www.energytrend.com/news/20201222-20269.html

I hope they also tone down the design language which currently leans heavily on cartoon robot angles.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Some pics and videos have come out in the last few days of the model y 3rd row. It is unsurprisingly very cramped and not something I would personally consider for daily use even for children but as an option in a pinch to get people somewhere nearby it would work.

https://insideevs.com/features/466711/videos-7-seat-tesla-model-y/

I have been half heartedly looking at the id4 as a replacement for our Honda Pilot, the third row in that gets used once a year max so we could live without it. I’d pay for the extra seats if we went for the model y instead though.

Do we have any id4 preorders in this thread?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

sanchez posted:

Do we have any id4 preorders in this thread?

I have an AWD Pro pre-order to possibly replace my fiancé’s CX-5.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

But... but... HYDROGEN IS THE FUTURE!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
drat, didn't know the id4 was already taking preorders. Does anyone have a clue what "Mid-2021" availability actually means? YOLOsubmarine, do you have an estimated date or anything? I'm going to need a new car in May, or June at the latest, so if it's actually August or something, I'll probably have to look harder at other options.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ola posted:

They've announced a BEV platform which actually sounds good. https://www.energytrend.com/news/20201222-20269.html

I hope they also tone down the design language which currently leans heavily on cartoon robot angles.

I prefer cartoon robot angles to the bland appliance look of the 90s and 00s.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was surprised when Toyota started using that style beyond the Tacoma. The Tacoma is understandable as it is for boy-men, but it seems too aggro for the rav4.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 23, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Charles posted:

Why couldn't they have put the HIDs on my Soul? They use less energy, right?

They do, HID headlights use about 35W per bulb, while Halogens use 55W per bulb (I think this is a very generous estimate for the HIDs, since it doesn't take into account the ballasts, but I'll use it since it's the best comparison for this purpose)

So my Leaf consumes 110W running the headlights (ignoring DC->DC converter losses), which yields 272 hours runtime, or 11.4 days.

If I converted to HIDs that would be a whopping 428 hours runtime, or almost 18 days.

But then we figure my Leaf is normally run on the highway, at an efficiency of about 333Wh/mi, that yields a 90 minute runtime at 60mph, for 90 miles, pretty much on the dot.

During that runtime, assuming my headlights are always on (which they are, I used Leagspy to enable the auto-off feature, except for maybe 15 minutes a day going through security checkpoints) the consumption is:

Halogen: 0.55% total battery capacity.

HID: 0.22% total battery capacity

Or,

Halogen: 0.5 miles range consumed.

HID: 0.2 miles range consumed.

Or a net of just about 1/4 mile extra range for the HIDs (at a normal pace, not living one's life 1/4 mile at a time)

I thought about this a lot since I commute in lead-acid powered Polatis Rangers alot at work, and leaving headlights on even in the hour+ security lines didn't even touch the battery % meter.

That being said, it does seem inherently wrong to use the ruddy, antiquated glow of halogen to mark the passage of an advanced electric vehicle, and I wish my Leaf had the cool OEM quad-LED headlights, so much so I went ahead and bought a set of LED bulbs for it, I'll report back on how lovely/not lovely they are.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hah! Thanks for the analysis. The halogen headlights don't seem too bad in performance, thankfully, unlike our new Impreza. I noticed the Kia uses LL (long life) bulbs, and thought maybe I could get some extra lumens if needed by switching to regular, then saw that replacing the bulb involves loosening the bumper 💩

General advice is that directly swapping halogen bulbs with LEDs can cause unsuitable / potentially dangerous beam patterns. Otherwise I would have tried by now, I've switched anything else I can...

It seems close to freezing tonight so I plugged it in to the slow charger. I need to look up if mine is equipped with a battery heater, and if so, what circumstances it comes on.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

priznat posted:

I was surprised when Toyota started using that style beyond the Tacoma. The Tacoma is understandable as it is for boy-men, but it seems too aggro for the rav4.

Man it’s even in the sedans and small cars overseas. The CH-R is a Gundam too. The Sienta hatchback looks like a drat Decepticon. Even the non-GR Yarises (Yarii?) look kinda like they’ll drive by and have turbo pop and whistle.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Charles posted:

Hah! Thanks for the analysis. The halogen headlights don't seem too bad in performance, thankfully, unlike our new Impreza. I noticed the Kia uses LL (long life) bulbs, and thought maybe I could get some extra lumens if needed by switching to regular, then saw that replacing the bulb involves loosening the bumper 💩

General advice is that directly swapping halogen bulbs with LEDs can cause unsuitable / potentially dangerous beam patterns. Otherwise I would have tried by now, I've switched anything else I can...

It seems close to freezing tonight so I plugged it in to the slow charger. I need to look up if mine is equipped with a battery heater, and if so, what circumstances it comes on.

Fortunately some of them have gotten a lot better, and the kit I got has good reviews for beam pattern if they suck I'll take them out.

I set the climate control timer for the first time this winter this morning.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Fortunately some of them have gotten a lot better, and the kit I got has good reviews for beam pattern if they suck I'll take them out.

I set the climate control timer for the first time this winter this morning.

Crazy how all the reviews on that site are extremely positive for every single item reviewed. Good thing you can’t buy positive reviews and journalistic integrity is paramount.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

PSA electric triplets are(were as mitsu has ended production of the imiev euro variants) the citroen C-Zero, peugeot iON and mitsu iMiEV.

Back on topic, toyota is limiting the gundam factor nowadays, beside the chr which is getting long in the tooth, yaris/corolas have become less aggressive styling wise. They are keeping the crazy for lexuses which at least are just weird compared to mb and bmw which are now either a blob(mb) or a grille with a few bulk plates around it(bmw)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 19, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Applied for the CA $2000 rebate for EV's on August 31st, 2020 ... the day I leased my Kia Niro.

On 10/10/2020 I get this message:

"Our team is sending you this message to confirm that your CVRP application is still in our queue and has not been forgotten. CVRP has received an unprecedented application volume in recent months. We are very excited about the significant increase, but unfortunately, processing times are longer than usual."

Took till 1/8/2021 to get approved.

And when I hit the CLAIM button ....

"An application for this vehicle may not be submitted because it was purchased or leased more than 3 months ago. See the applicant applicant eligibility guidelines for details."

gently caress

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
:facepalm: Hope you get it sorted.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Charles posted:

:facepalm: Hope you get it sorted.

What's amazing is that I did enter the vehicle info when I first applied but somehow that never got into the system.

The question is, can a human there fix this.

I'm guessing I just lost $2000

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

What's amazing is that I did enter the vehicle info when I first applied but somehow that never got into the system.

The question is, can a human there fix this.

I'm guessing I just lost $2000

You can't be the only one, so I would hope so.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Charles posted:

You can't be the only one, so I would hope so.

The IRS also played a role in this, delaying the income verification.

It's a nice clusterfuck.

I also am going to tell Kia of USA that they need to have their dealerships provide help with the process,

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Impressive color coordination:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 23, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Officially revealed is the Mercedes EQA, the smaller crossover on the EQC platform.

66.5 kWh battery, about 500 km/300 mile range, and €47,000 starting price are the figures to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

harperdc posted:

Officially revealed is the Mercedes EQA, the smaller crossover on the EQC platform.

66.5 kWh battery, about 500 km/300 mile range, and €47,000 starting price are the figures to know.

That price and those looks make it sound like a winner