Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 19, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 19, 1999)

Garfield Classic (May 19, 1989)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is no looker, either.

Working Daze yeah I got nothing.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is feeling no pain.

Cul De Sac said the quiet part loud.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

Good guess, but actually no.

I figured Holbrook realized that Rudy's team cheated yet again, so he made the others eat the elk to retcon the legitimacy of their win. Shows what I know. :v:

Mikl posted:

"Now he'll never learn about show don't tell!"

This strip is timely.

What the gently caress did I just read? :psyduck:

They acknowledge that the predators being bloodthirsty is a problem if left unchecked so their solution is to install them as the upper class with all the power in the world. The fact that the Birdlluminati thought that instead of teaching empathy, they solution is for the predators to make companies that actively cull prey species instead is pretty monstrous. And they have the gall to act like they're the only ones preventing the world from descending into a bloodbath, when they're the ones to blame for Hellworld.

Mikl posted:

Come to think of it, one thing I hadn't realised while posting today's set of Classic K&K strips: how do Aura and Fenton know each other? She's Rudy and Bruno's teacher, not his, and they haven't interacted on-panel that I can remember. Is it normal to be able to identify your girlfriend's step-brother's teacher on sight?

You see, the answer to that is- *gets killed by a passing predator*

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I have legitimately come to relish and love early Kevin & Kell. It reminds me of reading like, picaresque novels or Lautremont or something. It's fun to look at this world where the laws of god and man are just completely higgledy piggledy. Like rock on Council of Birds, keep up the great work. Absolutely. Good thing you had a talk-show host carcass around!

The tone is just 100% suis generis in that it swings from that kind of classic funny-animal "what if this animal was in this human situation?" but within the context of this absolutely bananas system of world-building. I feel like the best way I could describe it is if there was just some middling sitcom going on just off-screen in a Samuel R. Delany novel. I cannot think of anything like this and I adore it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's like they're already married :allears:

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

PainterofCrap posted:

Addams and Evil - 1947

Hey hey hey, more classic history of FDA!

A famous mass poisoning case involving the improper manufacturing of this very popular antibacterial led to the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act.

Okay Zorro strip's kicking rear end between this and the statements on the abuse of native peoples.

Electric Company went off the air in like the 80s.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Discendo Vox posted:

Hey hey hey, more classic history of FDA!

A famous mass poisoning case involving the improper manufacturing of this very popular antibacterial led to the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act.

Okay Zorro strip's kicking rear end between this and the statements on the abuse of native peoples.

Electric Company went off the air in like the 80s.

There was an Electric Company reboot from '09-'11. As such, I think "Rugrats" is probably the longest-canceled series mentioned in the comic, if you don't count "All Grown Up", and if you do, then it's "Maya and Miguel", which aired its last new episode in '07

That said, it's '21, and most of the mentioned series are probably reasonably available for streaming.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Rae the Doe's web archives

Late to the Party

Quarantine Horoscope

:(

You can support Rae the Doe by pledging to the author's Patreon!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

amigolupus posted:

I figured Holbrook realized that Rudy's team cheated yet again, so he made the others eat the elk to retcon the legitimacy of their win. Shows what I know. :v:

The problem with that theory is it relies on the idea that the protagonists could ever do anything wrong, or need to legitimize their actions, when we have already seen that as far as Holbrook is concerned anything the protagonists do is good, because they are the protagonists.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sniff is a narc

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Sniff is a narc

sniffes get stiffes

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
July 30th to August 1st, 1940 Comics, sorry that the 30th and 31st are missing

The Shadow

Flyin' Jenny

And as always, Axa

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

:smith: This lady needs to get away, fast.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

It's weird but in the past few months I've come to find comfort in how loving boring Rex Morgan is.

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

I don't personally need or want to be reminded of the framing that evans wants to punish the people who were mean to him in high school by proxy every time it comes out as inexcusably bad writing. But I don't mind people pointing out that he's doing it again.

It'd be like pointing out that brooke is blatantly writing his weird fetishes every time that turns into a hosed up strip

To me, it's a weird phenomenon where he's dumped on this character narratively so much that she's become sympathetic and so the regressions to "Heh, what a superficial moron" jokes don't even fit anymore.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

:heysexy:

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze yeah I got nothing.

How will the characters with well-established transmogrifying powers get out of this predicament??

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FrumpleOrz posted:

Sherman's Lagoon

You know, Sherman's Lagoon isn't a very good comic. That said, I've kinda got a soft spot for it. It's charming, even if it's not good.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

maltesh posted:

There was an Electric Company reboot from '09-'11. As such, I think "Rugrats" is probably the longest-canceled series mentioned in the comic, if you don't count "All Grown Up", and if you do, then it's "Maya and Miguel", which aired its last new episode in '07

That said, it's '21, and most of the mentioned series are probably reasonably available for streaming.

My niece and nephews had a period where they really loved the Adventures of the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon. This was especially bizarre because neither they nor anyone else in the family liked the Sonic the Hedgehog games, and this is a cartoon old enough that even I'm too young for it.

I could see why they liked it though. It's a pretty solid formula, kind of a hybrid Bugs Bunny Speedy Gonzalez lead character in a superhero style format. The algorithm can take kids pretty strange places some times. Now they're all about Alan Becker animations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jules Rivera was just complaining on Twitter that people were reaching out to her to point out that Pangolins are also armored mammals.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

catlord posted:

You know, Sherman's Lagoon isn't a very good comic. That said, I've kinda got a soft spot for it. It's charming, even if it's not good.

I think it's consistently okay. It's never great, but it's rarely bad. I get a chuckle out of it nearly every day.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Somewhere out there a pangolin fan/furry is writing the worlds most indignant email.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Pangolins don't have armour they just have a body covered in toenails.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Someone mentioned before that the lighting on the Sunday strips was pretty bad since Jules makes Mark's skin look really shiny and almost-white. The lighting on this strip is way better and I hope Jules sticks with it.

Friends sending their clothes to each other is a weird enough 'joke', but the line at the end about forgetting her friend's scent is really loving weird.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

amigolupus posted:

Friends sending their clothes to each other is a weird enough 'joke', but the line at the end about forgetting her friend's scent is really loving weird.

a lot of animals primarily identify each other by scent, you see

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Ardeem posted:

Somewhere out there a pangolin fan/furry is writing the worlds most indignant email.

alice is very upset

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

nishi koichi posted:

alice is very upset

:golfclap:
I can just see her expression, too.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before The One Pastis Had To Pull Because REALITY

Peanuts (January 19-20, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Thimble Theater (August 18, 1937)

Life (With Skippy) (January 15, 1925)

Elsewhere In The Issue: Well, the theme of this week's issue was "The Dixie Issue", which for some reason gave them the green light for a lot of racial stereotype stuff, because 1925. So instead, here's another crossword cartoon from Don Herold.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Shut up Crankshaft.