Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My next session pits The Royal Flush against the Men-O-Knights in Round 2 of MONSTERGEDDON

I originally had planned for the team to just be a complete pushover to move onto Round 3 against Drago and the Dragettes but I'm thinking now they're going to be an actual challenge for the team.

I'd post in that thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I've been doing too much effort posting this weekend but I should do some low effort posting at some point

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

aldantefax posted:

dumb idea time:

Oath thread, but for reporting in that you had a good tabletop RPG session as a GM

I would post in it, but probably only as some karmic balance after I post a thread I'm cooking up for whining about how d&d causes brainrot and we share tips for the rehabilitation of players tainted by it while kvetching about perfectly good games being kept from greatness, or those terrible games ruined by players who only know d20.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Agent Rush posted:

If a setting-building type game is ok, there's things like Microscope or Four-Colour Apocrypha you could try.

That Four Colour one seems to have vanished

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Coolness Averted posted:

I would post in it, but probably only as some karmic balance after I post a thread I'm cooking up for whining about how d&d causes brainrot and we share tips for the rehabilitation of players tainted by it while kvetching about perfectly good games being kept from greatness, or those terrible games ruined by players who only know d20.

Sounds like the TG As An Industry and/or Dungeons & Dragons: 5th Edition threads.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

aldantefax posted:

dumb idea time:

Oath thread, but for reporting in that you had a good tabletop RPG session as a GM

Wait, like a commitment to good tabletop sessions or a commitment to reporting them?

Angrymog posted:

It has? I'm still seeing it, maybe it's because I'm logged into Itch?

Here's the game page: https://speakthesky.itch.io/four-colour

Here's the author page: https://speakthesky.itch.io/ It should be in the "My games for 3+ players" section.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Agent Rush posted:

Wait, like a commitment to good tabletop sessions or a commitment to reporting them?

Yes!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm logged in to itch. None of those links give me anything.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
They likely removed the title, then. If you bought a product in the past, you can still access it to re-download it, but the store page is gone for anyone who hasn't picked it up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joe Slowboat posted:

I have played a character who was just "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" - that was her entire starting concept. I intend to do so again, because that game fell through.
BOC are great, and they're the single most TTRPG-inspiration band I can think of.
I still want to drop into some kind of mid to high power superhero game with Imaginos, but I think Imaginos might be a bad guy, so it's kind of tricky.

As for what I'm playing or running right now, I'm running nothing, but I'm in a Sunday game with similar people that alternates between a reskinned DND5 game loosely paralleling the events of the first Final Fantasy game and a Scion 2E game set in Los Angeles.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

aldantefax posted:

dumb idea time:

I had a good Dungeon World session last week. We started in a complicated situation so I decided to split the party up as individuals for the first 2 acts of the session. I thought it might drag, but I managed to throw enough interesting stuff at each player to keep things interesting.

Now I gotta make sure the next session's dungeon crawl isn't too vanilla in comparison.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

PerniciousKnid posted:

Any suggestions for a dm-less game to play online with 3? I'm looking for a backup for when someone misses our roll20 session. I'm considering Fall of Magic or (if my graphic artist friend is there) The Quiet Year, but wondering if there are other good possibilities.

Agent Rush posted:

It has? I'm still seeing it, maybe it's because I'm logged into Itch?

Here's the game page: https://speakthesky.itch.io/four-colour

Here's the author page: https://speakthesky.itch.io/ It should be in the "My games for 3+ players" section.

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm logged in to itch. None of those links give me anything.

Angrymog posted:

Whoops, that's mine, and I temporarily set it to 'restricted' to take it off my storefront for an update (which I still need to get round to). If anyone wants to access it, you can find it here using the password "antematter" (no quotes). Fair warning though, there are reasons why I'm giving it another update—it was published for a game jam and needs some more tightening up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CitizenKeen posted:

I would love to play an RPG about sports (any kind of sports) with the tactical goodness that could allow, while still allowing the stakes to feel real. I've never found that, but it's on my short list of games I'd love to play.

Sentinel Comics has a lot of cool tech, and its character generation is the best of them. It's so cool.

The system didn't end up working for my group, but I still use the character generation to come up with cool outlines for characters and then I port them over.

Days later and I have like eight rando characters made.

I really need to find someone to run this.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

anyone else hype for the new storybrewers game fight with spirit? playtesting is starting soon but this looks great to me

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It sounds cool? Live out your high school sports anime drama.

Also here are some unedited ideas collected from last night as I was dozing off:

rpg ideas

- each character gets a reserve of dice and to meet challenges the challenge must have some kind of specific sorting of dice pool to dedicate to a challenge. each die is a unique type and challenges must be met with multiple dice
- terrain build points - characters have build points to construct a tactical battlefield but the DM has their own reserve to modify and also build their own battlefield for centerpiece fights
- characters get things to use as increases but they improve traits like in valkyrie profile to make them more heroic
- fantasy school setting west marches wizards have guns
- How come there are no games which expressly have music involved in its fictional context save for the inclusion of bards, I want player characters to have theme songs as part of their principal character design and that means something mechanically, but also same thing for antagonists

I was also looking at the Strike thread last night and, hmm, maybe? I'm on the fence about wanting to learn a new system that isn't RuneQuest or Sword World 2.0 at the moment

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

aldantefax posted:

- How come there are no games which expressly have music involved in its fictional context save for the inclusion of bards, I want player characters to have theme songs as part of their principal character design and that means something mechanically, but also same thing for antagonists

Well, World Wide Wrestling has presentation and production elements represented mechanically, not specific to music (apart from your entrance) but you could play it that way for certain characters.

And of course any game with non-specific weirdness might be open to a musical interpretation. Like maybe in your Apocalypse World the Apocalypse was global tinnitus that the gifted few can interpret musically.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I think Tuesdays are going to free up for me since I'm going to resign from DM'ing one game and the other one fell apart due to lack of interest/players, so I'm thinking about retooling that time slot to test out a West Marches game in some system, but that might take some further planning and forethought. I could start up a fourth group for the Megadungeon game instead, or maybe do some Sword World, Strike, or Runequest action. Haven't quite figured it out yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm not real familiar with the genre, but there's gotta be a good power metal song about dragons for Drago to enter the arena to right?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Minor question, but is it better to buy a game on Itch.io or Drivethrurpg?

Which ones gives more money to the creators?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Josef bugman posted:

Minor question, but is it better to buy a game on Itch.io or Drivethrurpg?

Which ones gives more money to the creators?

itch

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
itch by an incredibly long shot. DTRPG takes a 30% cut if you're exclusive (35% if not), itch lets you set how much you give them (the default suggestion is 10%; you can set it to 0% or anything else you want).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 19, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Got it, thank you folks!

Purchased Free from the Yolk and probably grabbing more of the Legacy books from there!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 19, 2021

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I've been running the same Alien: The RPG scenario for two different groups and am quite liking the system. While I've read through the Year Zero system a few times beforehand in various contexts this was the first time I've actually interacted with it in a play context. I've had a copy of the core rulebook for Forbidden Lands for ages and picked up the supplements that are up in the current Bundle of Holding and think it might be a good system to try and pivot towards for my fantasy games, anyone have any insight as to how it feels in play?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

KingKalamari posted:

I've been running the same Alien: The RPG scenario for two different groups and am quite liking the system. While I've read through the Year Zero system a few times beforehand in various contexts this was the first time I've actually interacted with it in a play context. I've had a copy of the core rulebook for Forbidden Lands for ages and picked up the supplements that are up in the current Bundle of Holding and think it might be a good system to try and pivot towards for my fantasy games, anyone have any insight as to how it feels in play?

Oh, yo, can you give me some deetz on how Alien: The RPG plays? I got it but I haven't had a chance to deep dive because my work ramped up with the pandemic instead of ramping down. I am mad curious what the game plays like.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Covok posted:

Oh, yo, can you give me some deetz on how Alien: The RPG plays? I got it but I haven't had a chance to deep dive because my work ramped up with the pandemic instead of ramping down. I am mad curious what the game plays like.

It does a really good job of replicating the tension and paranoia of the first movie: A lot of attention is paid to what they call the "Stealth Phase" when characters are not actively engaged in combat but are moving through dangerous territory. There's a big emphasis on timekeeping in a manner similar to 1st Edition and earlier D&D during this phase, and this affects not only the PCs but also any monsters that might be stalking them.

Character creation is super quick and easy and the core rolling mechanic is very simple and elegant. It also has a simple but effective system for resource management.

The game is, expectedly, very deadly: During one group's first encounter with an Alien one of the characters had his arm ripped off and that wasn't a case of me trying to dick him over as the GM.

One other thing I really appreciate about the adventure I'm using as a base is the way that it not only provides room-by-room information for the ship on which the action happens, but also a bunch of potential events and encounters to seed throughout the adventure, divided into "Acts". It provides the GM with a lot of tools to keep the adventure moving, but also makes things very easy to tweak and customize. This was especially helpful since I reskinned the adventure to fit into a "Cassette Future Eclipse Phase" setting I've been tinkering with.

Overall a lot of fun, would recommend!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

pog boyfriend posted:

anyone else hype for the new storybrewers game fight with spirit? playtesting is starting soon but this looks great to me

Their previous game, Good Society, kicked rear end a bunch so I’m pretty excited

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

KingKalamari posted:

It does a really good job of replicating the tension and paranoia of the first movie: A lot of attention is paid to what they call the "Stealth Phase" when characters are not actively engaged in combat but are moving through dangerous territory. There's a big emphasis on timekeeping in a manner similar to 1st Edition and earlier D&D during this phase, and this affects not only the PCs but also any monsters that might be stalking them.

Character creation is super quick and easy and the core rolling mechanic is very simple and elegant. It also has a simple but effective system for resource management.

The game is, expectedly, very deadly: During one group's first encounter with an Alien one of the characters had his arm ripped off and that wasn't a case of me trying to dick him over as the GM.

One other thing I really appreciate about the adventure I'm using as a base is the way that it not only provides room-by-room information for the ship on which the action happens, but also a bunch of potential events and encounters to seed throughout the adventure, divided into "Acts". It provides the GM with a lot of tools to keep the adventure moving, but also makes things very easy to tweak and customize. This was especially helpful since I reskinned the adventure to fit into a "Cassette Future Eclipse Phase" setting I've been tinkering with.

Overall a lot of fun, would recommend!

Cassette Future Eclipse Phase? So you upload your brain onto an A-Track and transfer your conscious long distance by playing your brain on vinyl? No really, though, I am actually curious.

Also the game sounds awesome. I do worry it could get repetitive though. If it's just one game? Sure, but how can you do a long game in such a manner. Unless, that isn't the point.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Saitama from One Punch Man is essentially a Chuubo's character. He has unlimited power but it won't help him with his emotional problems.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Covok posted:

Cassette Future Eclipse Phase? So you upload your brain onto an A-Track and transfer your conscious long distance by playing your brain on vinyl? No really, though, I am actually curious.

The big points of divergence from the canon setting are:
1. After The Fall, technology saw a design regression away from everything being interconnected and towards physical data storage. This was a direct response to The TITANs using The Mesh to their advantage during The Fall.
2. Mind uploading is an incredibly new technology only available to select members of the populace. Digitizing one's ego is a one-way process as the uploading process involves dissection the brain to digitally replicate it. The fact that Firewall has access to this technology is one of the things that lets them do what they do so effectively.
3. The Jovian Republic, while still bio-conservative in philosophy, is much more of a viable military threat to the rest of the solar system. One of the primary concerns for the Sol system is the slowly escalating cold war between the Jovians and the Planetary Consortium.
4. The Titanians and Anarchist factions hold far less political power and influence. While the Autonomist Alliance still exists and their societies are functional, they are in much greater danger of being overtaken by other, more authoritarian factions.
5. Rather than weird space-time anomalies located on the surface of planets, The Pandora Gates are giant structures in orbit in select places around The Sun. They also each only connect to a single counterpart in extra solar systems, forming a sort of lattice network of system-hopping gates that require a spaceship to traverse.

There are a bunch more, small-scale changes throughout the setting, but it's overall my attempt to mash-up Eclipse Phase, Alien and Cowboy Bebop into a single setting.

Covok posted:

Also the game sounds awesome. I do worry it could get repetitive though. If it's just one game? Sure, but how can you do a long game in such a manner. Unless, that isn't the point.

There's actually instructions in the core rules for two modes of play: Cinematic, for "We are all hosed, anyone can die at any moment" one-shots, and Campaign for longer-term play. Combat also seems to be much less lethal when the party is fighting against other humans - What makes Aliens so deadly is that they use different mechanics to attack that circumvent the skill rolls human characters need to make and their attacks have additional, cinematic riders that they can activate (Like ripping a person's arm off!). The core rules even specifically advise the GM to use encounters with Aliens sparingly in campaign play so they continue to feel like a rare, super-dangerous threat.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

UnCO3 posted:

There's another 50% sale on the Affinity suite (and it's a single payment, not a subscription like e.g. Adobe):
  • Publisher, for layout
  • Designer, for pixel and vector art
  • Photo, for photo editing
I bought all three during big sales like this and I get a lotta use out of the first two at least.

https://twitter.com/affinitybyserif/status/1351476287886553089
Crossposting here so more people are aware.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Hey tg leperflesh reminded me to post here, so uhm how's it hanging with you guys

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
hello, just thinking about my double cross game tomorrow

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Glutes Are Great posted:

Hey tg leperflesh reminded me to post here, so uhm how's it hanging with you guys

How on earth did you get that reg-date?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

When you post often enough, things start to get crazy you know

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm just surprised the forum's software even lets that happen. I wonder if you could have one that's like before the fall of Rome or something.

(But seriously, welcome, hoss.)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Xiahou Dun posted:

How on earth did you get that reg-date?

Gotta max out your squats

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

You won't believe what the forums software let's happen, I mean, we are lucky that this year when updating the copyright date the site didn't go down for another three days

Anyways I play a lot of board games and love shadowrun and other games and uhm let's see, recently we've played gloomhaven to test it out

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Glutes Are Great posted:

You won't believe what the forums software let's happen, I mean, we are lucky that this year when updating the copyright date the site didn't go down for another three days

Anyways I play a lot of board games and love shadowrun and other games and uhm let's see, recently we've played gloomhaven to test it out

Gloomhaven god drat owns, but it's like a full day and it took me most of a day to get all of the bits into some kind of organization. Like, by around 2PM I'd spent so much time putting little things in piles on a table to be bagged that my back started to hurt and I cracked a beer. And deffo get the Gloomhaven Helper app.

But the game itself is amazing in terms of a well-designed little beat-em-up dungeon crawler.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Glutes Are Great posted:

How do you feel about that shadowrun anarchy?

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm just surprised the forum's software even lets that happen. I wonder if you could have one that's like before the fall of Rome or something.

(But seriously, welcome, hoss.)

Its the Unix Epoch (Time 0 if you're using anything with Unix basically) so they've just set the reg date to '0' for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Xiahou Dun posted:

Gloomhaven god drat owns, but it's like a full day and it took me most of a day to get all of the bits into some kind of organization. Like, by around 2PM I'd spent so much time putting little things in piles on a table to be bagged that my back started to hurt and I cracked a beer. And deffo get the Gloomhaven Helper app.

But the game itself is amazing in terms of a well-designed little beat-em-up dungeon crawler.

We did exactly one dungeon without the app and then switched to the app plus the item organizer one immediately, afterwards we bought an expensive as hell insert to be able to sort the stuff in the box properly and that has decreased the time needed for preparation by 98% and thus only takes an hour now!!

kingcom posted:

How do you feel about that shadowrun anarchy?

I'm more of a classic player, but I kinda like it, too. Like, I've been running groups on shadowrun for, uhh, I dunno 8 years now or something and hardly ever considered switching to anarchy. I did a couple of rounds to test it out, but never really got into it. I'm mainly just a nerd it seems