Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So what we have learned is, the hard counter to papi cerb fleet is 30 bombers.

edit : also a way to drive up jita cerb prices

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Solus posted:

I got made space important today and i feel like this is a mistake

well then see you in the fish tank, we have been talking about sushi lately

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

ded posted:

So what we have learned is, the hard counter to papi cerb fleet is 30 bombers.

edit : also a way to drive up jita cerb prices

maybe that's their plan, drive up cerb prices then sell cerbs to fund their war where they lose 200 cerbs in 24 hours trading nothing.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Raged posted:

Y'all need to quit whining about cloaked campers. They have existed for at least 14 years. You want to rat while you are half asleep with no risk then move back to highsec.

Difference is that nowadays they're far more accessible because they can be used as an SP farm to pay for their subs. Back in Dek pre-war, you still had to pay attention, because snigg would blops out of MoA's RP treehouse and you'd get roaming interceptor gangs.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER
lol if you think cloaky camping now even remotely compares to what was done in the past.

now you spend the amount of isk you earn in like a day of ratting and suddenly you have an entire new account with a 24/7 cloaky camper in a system and oh by the way it pays for its own plex and makes you money if you use the different character slots for half-clever poo poo you can do like PI and industry.

the end result of this is dozens of covops cynos in a constellation named some poo poo like CumEater001 thru CumEater069

the fact that any halfwit with spare isk can build the entire Cum Eater Intelligence Network and there's nothing you can do about it because there is no viable counter at all is loving moronic

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The simple way to deal with AFK cloaking is to make cloaks use an increasing amount of cap each cycle, reset either by session changing or staying uncloaked for an amount of time.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Goons love jumping in front of titan helldeath so much, we're now jumping in front of our own titans

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
The delicious loot is near all those lances, I can't not go for it.

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

finally heard back from my ticket i put in to get my plex out of asset safety and they denied it because it was put there by normal gameplay mechanics. so i am once again asking for a very short-term 600 million isk loan so i can get that poo poo out of asset safety and sell it for isk and immediately pay the loan back within like a day.

If you haven't got someone to do this evemail Asher Elias and I'll front you. If you have and I haven't read the rest of this thread just ignore this.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Baculus posted:

my bad, i missed the point while wading through the conditions those poor explorers might have to deal with.

oh wait no i didnt.

Sorry, should have realized I was making my dumb jokes in the No Fun Zone. From now on, I'll only post 100% seriously!

Anyway, now I'm wondering why cost-based solutions against AfK-cloaking are so goddamn important that they have to be valiantly defended? Capitalism?

I honestly thought giving players the tools to remove cloakers themselves would be a no-brainer, but apparently not?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

vulvamancer posted:

If you haven't got someone to do this evemail Asher Elias and I'll front you. If you have and I haven't read the rest of this thread just ignore this.

done. i jump cloned over to where it is and am gonna chill there until i get access to it.

my old ratting typhoon from when i last played back in '09 is also in the asset safety wrap. strongly debating whether i wanna try and fly it out to delve even though the current pvp meta is very unkind to most battleships and ratting is a poor idea.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Libluini posted:

Sorry, should have realized I was making my dumb jokes in the No Fun Zone. From now on, I'll only post 100% seriously!

Anyway, now I'm wondering why cost-based solutions against AfK-cloaking are so goddamn important that they have to be valiantly defended? Capitalism?

I honestly thought giving players the tools to remove cloakers themselves would be a no-brainer, but apparently not?

Because it will take ccp 3 years to make an acceptable counterplay. They can make cost-based discouragement in 3 months :v:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Solus posted:

I got made space important today and i feel like this is a mistake

What spacejob have you been appointed to?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
i'm fine with removing perpetual cloaky camping, as long as there is a low-power mode for ships that every ship can toggle on that disables the overview, local window, you appearing in it, and stops you from appearing on dscan and probes.

i want to chill without having to close my client, tia

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

i'm fine with removing perpetual cloaky camping, as long as there is a low-power mode for ships that every ship can toggle on that disables the overview, local window, you appearing in it, and stops you from appearing on dscan and probes.

Knowing ccp they’ll see it’s you wanting it and make the transition from low power to operational take 5 minutes while you become a warpable systemwide overview object.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

wait actually...

I went back and reread this and yeah this would be a very good solution (with a timer so you can't just toggle off/on to quickly get a glimpse of what's up), which is why CCP will implement this but with the silent running stuff from Elite Dangerous so actually if you are in "low power mode" for >5 minutes your ship melts or explodes

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
As someone who lives in WH space, all of these Cloaking suggestions have me nervously laughing.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
honestly cloaking is fine as it is

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It needs to be buffed actually, sometimes I get decloaked in bubbles and I have no idea how they do it

e: seriously what are they using to do it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

It needs to be buffed actually, sometimes I get decloaked in bubbles and I have no idea how they do it

They get within 2500m of you

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I don't know how ppl juggle 10 accounts. I warped a myrmidon in a gatecamp I knew was there because I thought it was my other character which was in an interceptor. :rip:

honestly cloaking is fine as it is

It's not. Back in the old days where it wasn't really realistic for 1 person to have 25 accounts, I would have agreed with you. But now, it's too easy to fund an account through skillgoo and other shenanigans allowing one person to effectively make whole constellations too risky for the meager rewards.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Skillgoo, the mistake that keeps on giving

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Phlegmish posted:

you are decloaked if a ship, drone, or a number of other objects including cans are within 2500m of you

How gatecampers will decloak you: there is a one second window between you losing the gate cloak and activating the cloak module. When the gatecampers see the gate activation, they hold A and spam clicks on their overview to catch that 1s appearance and approach you. If your ship is too slow while cloaked, or your movement vector wasn't very good, their ship will get within 2500m and your cloak turns off.

How to prevent this: when you jump through a gate into a bubble camp (or a camp with a dictor) you have 30 seconds of perfect* cloak, so try to chill and calmly asses the situation. Make them spend 20 seconds clicking. What you want to look at is where the enemy ships are vs where you are, and choose a vector that is as much of a tangent to the two as possible. Don't just try to warp or a celestial or something. Double click in space on a good vector while hitting cloak+mwd (in a cloaky ship you should drag cloak and mwd up to some f-key slots next to each other, like F5 + F6). If you get away, then you can spend 5 minutes crawling along cloaked until you're far enough away to be safe. (Covops just have to get out of any bubbles, basic cloaks need to crawl along for a few minutes until you're far enough away to decloak and warp without them catching you.)

*gate cloaks can't be decloaked like module cloaks

https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Escaping_Gatecamps

here's a mspaint to illustrate good and bad vectors:

green vectors are good because they're the most sideways to enemy positions, so when the enemy reaches the approximate location where you appeared you'll be the farthest away

browns are bad, one takes you closer to an enemy, and the other -- flying directly away from them -- means they'll catch up if they keep flying straight

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Klyith posted:

you are decloaked if a ship, drone, or a number of other objects including cans are within 2500m of you

How gatecampers will decloak you: there is a one second window between you losing the gate cloak and activating the cloak module. When the gatecampers see the gate activation, they hold A and spam clicks on their overview to catch that 1s appearance and approach you. If your ship is too slow while cloaked, or your movement vector wasn't very good, their ship will get within 2500m and your cloak turns off.

How to prevent this: when you jump through a gate into a bubble camp (or a camp with a dictor) you have 30 seconds of perfect* cloak, so try to chill and calmly asses the situation. Make them spend 20 seconds clicking. What you want to look at is where the enemy ships are vs where you are, and choose a vector that is as much of a tangent to the two as possible. Don't just try to warp or a celestial or something. Double click in space on a good vector while hitting cloak+mwd (in a cloaky ship you should drag cloak and mwd up to some f-key slots next to each other, like F5 + F6). If you get away, then you can spend 5 minutes crawling along cloaked until you're far enough away to be safe. (Covops just have to get out of any bubbles, basic cloaks need to crawl along for a few minutes until you're far enough away to decloak and warp without them catching you.)

*gate cloaks can't be decloaked like module cloaks

https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Escaping_Gatecamps

here's a mspaint to illustrate good and bad vectors:

green vectors are good because they're the most sideways to enemy positions, so when the enemy reaches the approximate location where you appeared you'll be the farthest away

browns are bad, one takes you closer to an enemy, and the other -- flying directly away from them -- means they'll catch up if they keep flying straight

also make sure to change vectors, they might manage to eyeball which way you were turning when you recloak

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

israd sells decloaking lessons pm penifSMASH in game

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

After losing 10 cruisers in a row in the proving grounds I've come to the conclusion that I'm bad at pvp.

I take a ship or two down with me, but yeah, haven't won one.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Proving grounds also take unique and often downright weird fits, and is very different. Don't feel bad, I'm bad at all of them.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Floppychop posted:

After losing 10 cruisers in a row in the proving grounds I've come to the conclusion that I'm bad at pvp.

I take a ship or two down with me, but yeah, haven't won one.

don't give up! keep analyzing and stuff...

I've won two and drawn two and it was only after like losing almost 10 I started to clue in to how to fly and what to do.

also the 1v1s in two weeks will probably be a better environment

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

also a feather in my cap - I've killed the current number 1 ranked player like 3 times so HAHAHAHA

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Baculus posted:

don't give up! keep analyzing and stuff...

I've won two and drawn two and it was only after like losing almost 10 I started to clue in to how to fly and what to do.

also the 1v1s in two weeks will probably be a better environment

I'm going up against mostly rapid light caracals and beam omens it seems. I need to work out a fit that can MWD for longer so I can actually close the gap on the bastards.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Baculus posted:

also a feather in my cap - I've killed the current number 1 ranked player like 3 times so HAHAHAHA

What are the rewards like for victory?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lol, OK that is good and I'm apparently still a child in my mind. Than you for the seratonin injection.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Hey, I am ignorant. Whats a supertrain?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Hey, I am ignorant. Whats a supertrain?

This is probably the wrong answer but anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13hN9Zf2-8A

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008