Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I can't recommend any specific models from experience, but B&H (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Telescope-Optical-Tube-Assemblies/ci/3384/N/4100994429) has a pretty wide selection.

Good news B&H is also problematic!

quote:

In October 2007, it was announced that B&H Photo agreed to pay US$4.3 million to settle allegations that it discriminated against Hispanic workers, while not admitting any wrongdoing.[17]

In November 2009, a lawsuit against B&H Photo alleged that the store refused to hire women, in violation of New York City and New York State Human Rights Laws.[18] The lawsuit, brought by four women, sought class action status on behalf of all women discriminated against by B&H over the course of many years.[19] Given B&H's prior alleged discriminatory practices,[17] the lawsuit sought US$19 million in compensatory and punitive damages to deter future discriminatory practices.[20]

In 2011, a lawsuit alleged discrimination against Hispanic workers.[21][22]

In February 2016, the United States Department of Labor Office of Contract Compliance filed a lawsuit against B&H alleging that the company had only hired Hispanic men into entry-level jobs in a Brooklyn warehouse, and then subjected them to harassment and unsanitary conditions.[23] On August 16, 2017, the company announced that it had settled this matter for a reported $3.22 million, while not admitting any wrongdoing.[24]

In November 2019, According to The Verge, the Attorney General of New York state filed a lawsuit alleging that B&H knowingly failed to pay millions of dollars in sales taxes due in New York.[25] The company's spokesperson has said that "B&H has done nothing wrong and it is outrageous".[25] According to B&H, the Attorney General is alleging that customers should pay sales tax on pre-discounted prices, not on the actual selling price, which is the widespread industry practice.[26]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Ok, so what's your preferred online source?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Inspector 34 posted:

My wife really wants a telescope and I'd like to get her one for her birthday.

If you haven't already you can check out the amateur astronomy thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is a fairly weird request, but something I've had percolating in the back of my mind for years now. my general computer setup isn't sitting at a desk, it's an HDTV on a wall, I'm in an oversized chair with my feet up, a bluetooth mouse on a small table by the chair, and a bluetooth(MX Revolution) keyboard I kinda either have on my lap or place around me wherever if I'm not actively using it. that's the one problem remaining with the setup, otherwise it's super comfortable and extremely convenient, but the keyboard being haphazardly placed or having to grab it constantly is a drag. Hell, I've even got this bendable long arm phone holder clipped to the table so I don't have to grab my phone and so the phone sitting on the table doesn't reflect the tv screen. Anyways, I've been toying with the idea of getting some kind of multi-jointed movable arm contraption to attach the keyboard to so I can swing it down into my lap to use, and just push it up and away(or whatever) when not using it. something like a dentist's chair light arm in terms of "lift up and away and it just stays where you put it":

I don't know if there's a more reasonably-sized version of that sort of thing that I can mount to the back of my oversized wingback chair(it's old and busted up, I don't care how it looks with stuff attached to it so that's not an issue, it's just super comfortable and big) and have some kind of holder to mount the keyboard to, but that'd be cool if there was.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Captain Invictus posted:

this is a fairly weird request, but something I've had percolating in the back of my mind for years now. my general computer setup isn't sitting at a desk, it's an HDTV on a wall, I'm in an oversized chair with my feet up, a bluetooth mouse on a small table by the chair, and a bluetooth(MX Revolution) keyboard I kinda either have on my lap or place around me wherever if I'm not actively using it. that's the one problem remaining with the setup, otherwise it's super comfortable and extremely convenient, but the keyboard being haphazardly placed or having to grab it constantly is a drag. Hell, I've even got this bendable long arm phone holder clipped to the table so I don't have to grab my phone and so the phone sitting on the table doesn't reflect the tv screen. Anyways, I've been toying with the idea of getting some kind of multi-jointed movable arm contraption to attach the keyboard to so I can swing it down into my lap to use, and just push it up and away(or whatever) when not using it. something like a dentist's chair light arm in terms of "lift up and away and it just stays where you put it":

I don't know if there's a more reasonably-sized version of that sort of thing that I can mount to the back of my oversized wingback chair(it's old and busted up, I don't care how it looks with stuff attached to it so that's not an issue, it's just super comfortable and big) and have some kind of holder to mount the keyboard to, but that'd be cool if there was.

lol this but unironically https://imperatorworks.com/index.php/iw-sk

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's a real thing you can buy? when I saw that image recently I thought it was a photoshop parodying lovely cyberpunk future products, holy poo poo

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
you can just call them products, now

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My wife and I are looking for a decent, fair priced printer. We want something to be able to print off practice sheets for our four year old to practice letters and coloring sheets, stuff like that. My wife also does a lot of neat crafty stuff, so color printing is definitely something we're looking for.

Any ideas?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Leavemywife posted:

My wife and I are looking for a decent, fair priced printer. We want something to be able to print off practice sheets for our four year old to practice letters and coloring sheets, stuff like that. My wife also does a lot of neat crafty stuff, so color printing is definitely something we're looking for.

Any ideas?

All printers are, without fail, complete poo poo and humans are a failure for not figuring out that technology.

That being said, I've had a Brother printer for a while and it hasn't caught on fire yet.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Stay away from inkjet printers, no matter how great that deal is. Ink is more expensive than gold per ounce, and, should you not use it for a month, there go your printheads/ your inks have purged themselves empty.

Laser printers are the more cost effective. Toner doesn't get screwy unless you keep the printer like outdoors. If it's very light use, something like a Brother HL-L32XXCW series will do well for you. Compatibles/aftermarket toners should keep your costs down after you eventually run through the starter cartridges, which are ~1000. There are MFC variants that are available if you want scanning and copying as well.

If you're willing to spend more, HP and Canon are the next step up. Better builds on the machines, last I checked HP just a hair cheaper. Just a note: HP uses Canon engines/ toner cartridge designs in their machines so there's not a lot of difference.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
brother black and white printers are godsends if you don't need color printing. this is the one I have had for years and it has never once had problems, with thousands of pages printed:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081J7T987/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I bought a two-pack of unbranded toner cartridge replacements for 15 bucks and they still haven't run out despite, again, years + thousands of pages printed. the one I bought in particular was an E-Z Ink two-pack but the specific page is gone from amazon unfortunately, but if you pick up a brother printer I'm sure something in these search results will do you just fine

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Can confirm, brother are “ok”.

out of a Panasonic and brother Network connected printer, the Panasonic one requires an hour of digging through spam sites to find the Linux drivers, the brother gets auto-discovered by Ubuntu.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I grabbed a b/w brother laser printer from our e-waste pile at work and I've been using it at home for years now. It's great when you just need to print some mailing labels or the occasional plane ticket.
It still has whatever toner was in it when I grabbed it from the trash.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Nthing the Brother B&W lasers. 99% of the time you need B&W only, on the rare occasion you absolutely need color, just take it to a Kinko's FedEx Office.

One nice thing no one mentions about lasers is you can get the pages wet and the toner doesn't run. It's nice for people like my roommate who prints stuff then proceeds to run a highlighter over most of it.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I agree with y'all about the b/w brother printers, but the poster specifically mentioned color so I'm not sure you're helping.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Ok, so what's your preferred online source?

I realize this is late however it's a fair question. I don't have one at least not for telescopes. A cursory google gave me https://www.highpointscientific.com/telescopes but I do not know if this is a good site or not. As far as electronics go? Crutchfield (audio/video). Costco (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/costco-stay-at-home-office-workers-1.5875088 icky). gently caress even Best Buy, who I am sure is bad, but never seems to be in the news as being super bad, at least not to the point where I've heard about it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
N’thing brother printers. Back when I had to mess with printers working IT at a small company the Brother MFC-7460 black and whites just worked and worked, even on whatever lovely third party toner. One of my happiest days was convincing management to chuck all the inkjet printers and get Laserjets. HP, Canon, etc all had various headaches and the brothers just inexplicably kept up reliability with the huge Canon office machines, even at a higher print volume. I have a surplus Brother MFC-9340 from years and years ago that keeps trucking in my basement.

If you don’t need color explicitly, Iron Crowned is right—B&W is the way to go, and just do kinkos for the rest. The extra cartridges are just another layer of headache and expense, and getting them to print true B&W without consuming other colors for more vibrant gray hues is a PITA.

I would however get an MFC printer-Multi Function Copy so you can scan in and copy pages. That’s unexpectedly useful for all sorts of stuff.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Captain Invictus posted:

It sounds like a tricky one, mostly because everyone has their own preferred keyboard ergonomics. There are a number of "keyboard arms" out there but I think most of them assume you'll be clamping them to a flat surface (i.e. desk). Then there are gooseneck "tablet arms" -- one of which I use to support a small auxiliary monitor on my desk -- but that also requires clamping and wouldn't stand up to typing.

How about one of those laptop desks that either go under the chair or roll around, would that work?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Trabant posted:

It sounds like a tricky one, mostly because everyone has their own preferred keyboard ergonomics. There are a number of "keyboard arms" out there but I think most of them assume you'll be clamping them to a flat surface (i.e. desk). Then there are gooseneck "tablet arms" -- one of which I use to support a small auxiliary monitor on my desk -- but that also requires clamping and wouldn't stand up to typing.

How about one of those laptop desks that either go under the chair or roll around, would that work?
those are nice for what they are, but they're not really applicable to this situation since there's nowhere for the rolly one to sit properly and the other one only seems to move out in a fixed pattern.

I might actually look for a for-real dentist light arm, since I can't seem to find the precise thing I'd want like it that isn't just...exactly that. seems like there's some available for a couple hundred bucks so it's not as bad as I thought, definitely something I'll keep in mind.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Only thing I can find that's even close to what you're looking for without spending money for medical equipment or getting the Scorpion chair:

https://www.amazon.com/Koolertron-Aluminum-Nottable-Universal-Adjustable/dp/B009QSJSRI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

poo poo seems to be sold out on Amazon though. Might have better luck on Aliexpress.

halokiller has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Jan 19, 2021

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Starting to get more into doing some activity outdoors this winter, and I am looking for a decent mask.

Ideally it would have:
Removeable inner filter of some kind that's easily washable
N95 preferable (I guess? I just hate the mask getting soaking wet from the cold air condensing my breath, hoping the combo of removable inner filter and N95 vent can reduce that?)
Attach around the back of the neck via velcro...Is that a thing?

Wearing around the ear masks hurts my ears after too long, and standard around the neck ones are a pain to put on/off (especially in winter if I have a hat on,) but if there's one that attaches behind the neck via velcro or hooks that seems ideal.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I got an Outdoor Research one that I like. Being able to change filters is a nice feature.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. My wife and I are now just trying to figure out what to get.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'd like a blanket for my couch. The couch is a somewhat rough-to-the-touch polyester fabric, so criteria #1 is that this blanket does not shed. Criteria #2 is that it's smooth to the touch and not some scratchy/snaggy material. Thank you!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm looking for a universal remote.

Basically, I just need a Roku-style remote that I can reprogram the volume controls on. I only need the volume up/down and mute buttons from the center remote, and my roommate tends to misplace it (sit on it) regularly, so having it all in one would be nice.

Bonus, but not required would be if it could do basic controls for the Blu-ray (navigation, enter,, pause, play, eject) she won't touch that one (too many buttons).

Also being able to replace the sling and DTV buttons with anything else would be a good bonus, but also not required.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Logitech Harmony remotes have always worked well for me. I think the screen versions are completely unnecessary so my vote is for this:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/harmony/harmony-companion.915-000239.html

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm looking for a universal remote.

Basically, I just need a Roku-style remote that I can reprogram the volume controls on. I only need the volume up/down and mute buttons from the center remote, and my roommate tends to misplace it (sit on it) regularly, so having it all in one would be nice.

Bonus, but not required would be if it could do basic controls for the Blu-ray (navigation, enter,, pause, play, eject) she won't touch that one (too many buttons).

Also being able to replace the sling and DTV buttons with anything else would be a good bonus, but also not required.

I've heard great things about the Logitech Harmony line.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Whelp. I’m posting from my couch at 2:13am because I need a new mattress. I had a friend over who invited another friend who brought their dog and it pissed so much dog piss on my bed that I’m giving up on my 6 year old Amazon memory mattress.

It’s so much piss and it has permeated everything, gently caress this. I didn’t even notice it for like 8 hours.

So what’s the good memory foam nowadays? Purple?

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Rolo posted:

Depending on your budget, you could look at latex rubber mattresses. Bounces like a spring mattresses, with all the nice support and sink of a foam mattress.

If you live in a city, there might even be some local shops that sell latex mattresses at a good price.

I did a lot of reading here before buying:
https://www.themattressunderground.com

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rolo posted:

Whelp. I’m posting from my couch at 2:13am because I need a new mattress. I had a friend over who invited another friend who brought their dog and it pissed so much dog piss on my bed that I’m giving up on my 6 year old Amazon memory mattress.

It’s so much piss and it has permeated everything, gently caress this. I didn’t even notice it for like 8 hours.

boy I hope you're having your friend's friend at least partially compensate the replacement because that's a cool grand you're looking at for most current mattresses, at least

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Rolo posted:

I'd also take a look at https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

For what it's worth as a starting point. I have a first-generation Purple Mattress and I've got no complaints. It's on the firmer side, but I like firm mattresses. It's just got an odd initial feel with the matrix thing on top.

That said, it's hard to go wrong with any of the major bed in the box companies with their trial policies. I'd not spend too much time debating brands and just pick whatever seemed to best fit your needs and budget. Heck if you can absorb the cost, order multiple mattresses and see which one suits you best and then axe the rest once their minimum trial periods conclude.

If budget and time are a concern, I'd checkout Zinus on Amazon. Though you should see what their return policy is going to be. I'm not certain how Amazon would handle an opened foam mattress.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

boy I hope you're having your friend's friend at least partially compensate the replacement because that's a cool grand you're looking at for most current mattresses, at least

I have a firm Ikea mattress with a softer latex topper and spent like $400 total. The mattress is fine. You don't need to spend a grand on a mattress.

I agree he should ask the friend to compensate him for his old mattress though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This won’t help your current situation but get one of those vinyl under sheets so sweat and piss don’t seep through into the mattress.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The current mattress is a Zinus and I liked it well enough so I may just hop on another one of those. I’ll check out SleepLikeTheDead, thanks for that link.

George H.W. oval office posted:

This won’t help your current situation but get one of those vinyl under sheets so sweat and piss don’t seep through into the mattress.

Do these affect breathability and temperature at all? It doesn’t take a lot for my dumb body to trigger night sweats.

Also can I just say being in your 30s sucks. I sleep on the couch one night and now nothing moves. I am a plank man.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I haven’t noticed much of a temperature change. I sleep hot anyway so a sheet and the one leg out seems to do me just fine on my old IKEA latex mattress.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
SleepLikeTheDead #2 survey pick for me ended up being my exact Zinus mattress, which is now like 300 bucks and can be here Sunday.

Looks like I’m gonna go with that. I spent the morning trying to clean it but, as someone who doesn’t have a dog, the idea of dried dog piss being deep in my mattress is not worth saving the money.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions on an oil-filled radiator space heater? Not too sure what to look for in terms of feature.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Anybody have a recommendation for a good USB-C SSD? A couple of months in and I'm kinda regretting getting a platter drive on my new Mac (though screwwwww paying Apple's internal SSD upgrade prices lmao), and I think moving my main install to an SSD would be a significant improvement even if it's external. USB-C's pretty drat fast anyway but I don't know a drat thing about who makes decent ones these days,

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Is there such a thing as an insulated flask? I'd love to take a small thermos with me while I go skiing to hold a hot drink but I want to be able to put something flat in my pocket instead of a giant cylinder.
I am having trouble finding anything like this but it must exist... Right?
It doesn't even have to work THAT well, just hold heat for a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

But only like 8oz worth? Like, what’s the point? Otherwise, just get a regular insulated bottle and a backpack?