Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I like Andromeda even though it’s janky as gently caress because I really liked the exploration in the first game and having that back rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont really remember liking anything about the plot of andromeda but i remember liking some of the voice acting and enjoying the combat quite a bit

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I like Andromeda even though it’s janky as gently caress because I really liked the exploration in the first game and having that back rules.

This is more or less my view as well. I prefer all three games the trilogy, but Andromeda is a good game with a lot of filler content. Content that you can ignore and focus on the good stuff like the ark quests and loyalty quests, and poo poo like movie night. The fact that the game is as good as it is knowing the development hell it went through is mind boggling to me they had essentially built the game in 18 months, which is on par with Dragon Age 2’s Dev time. And while I truly love Dragon Age 2, Andromeda dwarfs it in scope. Not all that scope is good, but it’s better than having one cave where the exits just get blocked off depending on what quest you’re on.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It does let you build your Vanguard into an absolute monster of constant detonation, so there is that.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i think ive only played vanguards in me2-3-a so i guess maybe that explains it. not sure why you'd do anything else tbh

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

chaosapiant posted:

This is more or less my view as well. I prefer all three games the trilogy, but Andromeda is a good game with a lot of filler content. Content that you can ignore and focus on the good stuff like the ark quests and loyalty quests, and poo poo like movie night. The fact that the game is as good as it is knowing the development hell it went through is mind boggling to me they had essentially built the game in 18 months, which is on par with Dragon Age 2’s Dev time. And while I truly love Dragon Age 2, Andromeda dwarfs it in scope. Not all that scope is good, but it’s better than having one cave where the exits just get blocked off depending on what quest you’re on.

Movie night is a fetch quest that lasts like 20 hours though

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

What exploration? That's my biggest problem with Andromeda, you're in a whole new galaxy and not only is there a grand total of two new alien races, the Milky Way bunch have already been everywhere and settled everything. The only places you go that people haven't already been to are some generic Ancient Precursor Race ruins.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're neat like once or twice but they're everywhere and look the same, always.

And no the annoying puzzles they make you do sometimes don't make them better.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

Movie night is a fetch quest that lasts like 20 hours though

but it culminates in a terrible cutscene, so theres a payoff at least

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cythereal posted:

What exploration? That's my biggest problem with Andromeda, you're in a whole new galaxy and not only is there a grand total of two new alien races, the Milky Way bunch have already been everywhere and settled everything. The only places you go that people haven't already been to are some generic Ancient Precursor Race ruins.

It also completely breaks the sense of drama where you spend 5 hours being force fed all these dire warnings about how precarious and on a razor's edge life is for the Andromeda mission, supplies are running low, then you hop down to the merc planet where a bunch of Milky way aliens took over and are running the place. By the 20 hour mark you've probably gunned down more Milky Way aliens then could've conceivably existed as exiles.

Oh, and also "the first baby born" in Andromeda is because some insanely stupid/naive female scientist was so baby crazy the moment she was out of cryo she defies orders, steals a ship and is sneaking all over the cluster trying to avoid the evil alien empire and planning to have a kid in a cargo shuttle? And raise it there too? There was no need for that plot in any way shape or form and it was kind of gross they felt the need to make some super respected genius woman decide to throw it all away to have a baby in a "we might be wiped out by one bad attack" hellscape.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

What exploration?

The kind where you drive an unstable buggy around and sometimes find something weird or put down a beacon. It wasn’t full featured in ME1 or MEA but I loved it in both for some weird reason.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The kind where you drive an unstable buggy around and sometimes find something weird or put down a beacon. It wasn’t full featured in ME1 or MEA but I loved it in both for some weird reason.

Oh, you mean the complete waste of time that exists to pad out gameplay between interesting parts.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

chaosapiant posted:

The face tired line gets picked on a lot and it’s fine. She’s tired of having to wear a “brace face” for the stranded and soon to be starving folks who, if they knew how bad poo poo really is, they’d riot/mutiny, like they already did.

No, you don't understand, I heard someone didn't like it so we all have to be asses about it and never let it drop!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Oh, you mean the complete waste of time that exists to pad out gameplay between interesting parts.

It’s not a waste of time for me if I liked it, though.

It didn’t work for all, or most people. I was just saying why I liked ME:A. :shrug:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

It’s not a waste of time for me if I liked it, though.

It didn’t work for all, or most people. I was just saying why I liked ME:A. :shrug:

It's cool guy, you do you x

It's only annoying when people have the take "I like this thing, therefore it is good, and if you make fun of it you are in fact making fun ME!"

Which is not what you are doing to clarify

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

No, you don't understand, I heard someone didn't like it so we all have to be asses about it and never let it drop!

Also...gently caress...phone posting. I meant Brave Face. I hope that was clear.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Mining in the nomad is terrible garbage and the returns for the effort expended are not worth it.
Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

pentyne posted:

It also completely breaks the sense of drama where you spend 5 hours being force fed all these dire warnings about how precarious and on a razor's edge life is for the Andromeda mission, supplies are running low, then you hop down to the merc planet where a bunch of Milky way aliens took over and are running the place. By the 20 hour mark you've probably gunned down more Milky Way aliens then could've conceivably existed as exiles.

Oh, and also "the first baby born" in Andromeda is because some insanely stupid/naive female scientist was so baby crazy the moment she was out of cryo she defies orders, steals a ship and is sneaking all over the cluster trying to avoid the evil alien empire and planning to have a kid in a cargo shuttle? And raise it there too? There was no need for that plot in any way shape or form and it was kind of gross they felt the need to make some super respected genius woman decide to throw it all away to have a baby in a "we might be wiped out by one bad attack" hellscape.

They might have been wiped out by one good attack, too

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the setting just doesnt have much thought put into it

they simultaneously wanted to be able to tell a "wild new untamed frontier" sci-fi story, but also wanted to be able to do traditional mass effect setting things like have the player murder more milky way galaxy beings that should realistically be alive

they wanted to have their cake and eat it, but ended up with a half eaten bowl of cake batter

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Mining in the nomad is terrible garbage and the returns for the effort expended are not worth it.
Nomad the lovely APC for unknown worlds, that doesn't have permanent all wheel drive unless you research it, and can't keep it on all the time because driving around needs to be a "puzzle" or something.
:thunk:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Moola posted:

they simultaneously wanted to be able to tell a "wild new untamed frontier" sci-fi story, but also wanted to be able to do traditional mass effect setting things like have the player murder more milky way galaxy beings that should realistically be alive

they wanted to have their cake and eat it, but ended up with a half eaten bowl of cake batter

I think something like 100,000 Milky Way folks come to Andromeda, and Ryder and co. can in a good playthrough kill a thousand of them, which is very bad!

If they added a zero to the end of the first number it'd probably have made more sense.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lol the hero of the game kills literally 1% of the entire population of permanently exiled settlers

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Moola posted:

There is 100,000 colonists spilt along 4 major races with just over 1000 krogans(and 2 batarians with multiplayer canon) rounding things out. And the day one plan was to colonise 4 planets and have the Nexus. So that's 20,000 in each major hub. That's the in setting grand goal, 5 towns with a 6th town coming later. The original plan seemed to be species segregated but the modified in game plan seems to just spilt everything equal among the races. So with Meridian, the 4 other planets and the Nexus and accounting for losses in game and people asteroid and helium mining(and minor outposts on angaran planets) you are looking at less than 3500 per race per place. So about an ocean cruise ship worth of humans per place. So everywhere is going to be depressing as hell, every kid is going to grow up without even the concept of a city to run away to. If they wanted to unepic Mass Effect then they have 100% succeeded.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
yeah they didn't think it through! A million colonists on the Nexus would be totally plausible and solves a lot of issues. Or ten million! there's a shitload of people in the Milky Way so you could totally find them.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

kilus aof posted:

There is 100,000 colonists spilt along 4 major races with just over 1000 krogans(and 2 batarians with multiplayer canon) rounding things out. And the day one plan was to colonise 4 planets and have the Nexus. So that's 20,000 in each major hub. That's the in setting grand goal, 5 towns with a 6th town coming later. The original plan seemed to be species segregated but the modified in game plan seems to just spilt everything equal among the races. So with Meridian, the 4 other planets and the Nexus and accounting for losses in game and people asteroid and helium mining(and minor outposts on angaran planets) you are looking at less than 3500 per race per place. So about an ocean cruise ship worth of humans per place. So everywhere is going to be depressing as hell, every kid is going to grow up without even the concept of a city to run away to. If they wanted to unepic Mass Effect then they have 100% succeeded.

Dont forget the Quarians!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

orcane posted:

Nomad the lovely APC for unknown worlds, that doesn't have permanent all wheel drive unless you research it, and can't keep it on all the time because driving around needs to be a "puzzle" or something.
:thunk:
And because it's an exploration vehicle, it can't possibly have a gun. Even after we've landed on a bunch of hostile planets where something tries to murder us every five seconds, we can't even consider installing a turret on this stupid thing for self-defense because it'd be unethical or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doc M posted:

And because it's an exploration vehicle, it can't possibly have a gun. Even after we've landed on a bunch of hostile planets where something tries to murder us every five seconds, we can't even consider installing a turret on this stupid thing for self-defense because it'd be unethical or something.

And to kill something by running over it, it specifically must be the wheels that hit. Hit by a rover's main chassis at full speed? Why ever would that do damage?

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Moola posted:

Dont forget the Quarians!

I said a 6th town was coming. But the quarians are even worst because they are further spilt between 6 races.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm gonna start Andromeda again tonight after work woo

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Doc M posted:

also let's not put a gun on the dang Tempest because ?????

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I'm gonna start Andromeda again tonight after work woo

You should stream yourself

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I don’t know how to stream

I started the game, got through the tutorial mission and now I’m doing Nexus side quests. With all the patches installed the lighting and animation is slightly better than I remember but still pretty wonky

I’m looking forward to fully experiencing the plot this time around!

Here’s my Ryder, he’s gonna be face deep in cat flaps before the game is done

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The combat in andromeda feels like you're in a giant mech suit but for some reason you can't fly

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, the hover mechanic was a pretty good bargain.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The janky rear end Mako was better than the Nomad in every way. Nomad bad.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Pops Mgee posted:

So bad. It was one of the first major signs for me that Andromeda was going to be unnecessarily tedious.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

Mako makowns

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The nomad gets a lot better once you get the boost/traction upgrades so you can just yeet yourself up cliffs rather than needing to slowly drive around them.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Kurieg posted:

The nomad gets a lot better once you get the boost/traction upgrades so you can just yeet yourself up cliffs rather than needing to slowly drive around them.

Hmm! I never noticed those upgrades. Probably worthwhile because the nomad is so bad. Love that you need to upgrade it to get to a baseline useable level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think the Nomad is fun to drive and handles fine. It's easy to click a button on the controller for flat terrain or hills. And as you upgrade it, it gets better and better where, with a good bit of speed, I can climb vertical cliffs like a champ, or rocket off a high plateau and tab the thrusters at the bottom to feather the fall. It's especially fun on the Turian "homeworld".